Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Golden Age SSI AD&D CRPG Retrospectives by Reggie Carolipio

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dungeons & Dragons; Gold Box; Reggie Carolipio; Strategic Simulations, Inc.

Upon hearing the phrase "Golden Age of RPGs", many gamers might immediately think of Origin's Ultima series or Sir-Tech's Wizardry series. Some might also remember New World Computing's Might & Magic or even Interplay's Bard's Tale or Wasteland. However, the company that perhaps embodied the Golden Age most of all was Strategic Simulations, Inc., commonly known as SSI.

Over a decade before Baldur's Gate and the Infinity Engine games, SSI published a whole slew of licensed AD&D CRPGs, starting from 1988's legendary Pool of Radiance. The most famous among these were the "Gold Box" titles, named for the distinctive gold-colored boxes in which they were sold, but there were many others. Sadly, these classics remain inexplicably absent from modern digital distribution portals, and their memories may eventually be lost in time...like tears in rain.

To help remedy that, Reggie Carolipio, a chronicler of gaming history whose work we've featured before, has spent the last month finishing up his retrospectives of SSI's Golden Age AD&D titles. Here's the list of them all, organized by series:
You can read all of these and more over at Reggie's excellent blog, World 1-1. And FFS Hasbro, rerelease these games on GOG already!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
SSI's less successful Dark Sun and Ravenloft titles from the mid-90s.
that's like saying bethesda's fallout: new vegas. ssi was just the publisher while the dev on the ravenlofts, menzoberranzan, dungeon hack and a bunch of other somewhat notable (both for good and bad reasons) golden age rpgs was event horizon aka dreamforge.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What's considered the best Gold Box SSI series. The one I remember the most fondly is Dark Sun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
that's like saying bethesda's fallout: new vegas. ssi was just the publisher while the dev on the ravenlofts, menzoberranzan, dungeon hack and a bunch of other somewhat notable (both for good and bad reasons) golden age rpgs was event horizon aka dreamforge.

Yes, well, they didn't develop EoB or any of those popamole non-Goldbox Dragonlance titles, either.

What's considered the best Gold Box series. The one I remember the most fondly is Dark Sun.

Dark Sun isn't Gold Box, it used a newer engine.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Yeah after I typed it I remembered. I was thinking more about the SSI games in general.

Monty

Arcane
Just reading those is enough to make me want to play the goldbox games again...

Lerk

Learned
Loving the price sticker on the EoB III box; 99 cents.

Still overpriced.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing champions of krynn again not that long ago, it aged quiet well, I thought I would have a
harder time getting into it again. I did forget about the never-ending random encounters. Although this time
I booted it up in an emulator, I don't know how well my C-64 loading time resistance is these days.
http://dict.leo.org/#/search=resistance&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on
As for Hillsfar, I can only slightly remember that it did not make sense to me back then. I thought I was
missing something, or didn't understand it but as I see now, that was just all there was, that was the game.

mondblut

Arcane

Dark Queen of Krynn was also done by an external developer, same as FRUA. Micromagic or something. And wasn't EOB3, too, done by Dreamforge? It does share engine with Dung Hack, anyway.

And duh, Westwood with EOB1-2.

Either way, in 5 years only autists like ourselves will be remembering that someone other than Bethesda also had a hand in FNV.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing champions of krynn again not that long ago, it aged quiet well, I thought I would have a
harder time getting into it again. I did forget about the never-ending random encounters.

Only never-ending if you keep exiting and re-entering the same areas.

Repressed Homosexual
Why would Hasbro and Ubisoft engage in arduous, cutthroat negociations, with maybe God knows what other third party and hefty legal costs involved, just to satisfy the 2000 grognards who would buy them in bundles of many? There's your answer.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And wasn't EOB3, too, done by Dreamforge? It does share engine with Dung Hack, anyway.
Actually it was done internally at SSI. The only one of the EOB games done by SSI themselves, and also by far the shittiest. Then they gave the engine to Dreamforge to do Dungeon Hack (fuck you).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why would Hasbro and Ubisoft engage in arduous, cutthroat negociations, with maybe God knows what other third party and hefty legal costs involved, just to satisfy the 2000 grognards who would buy them in bundles of many? There's your answer.
Why do the negotiations have to be arduous and cutthroat? Why can't two people get together and decide company 1 gets X percentage and company gets Y percentage, and they both make more money than 0 percentage?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The Ultima games always had the most overly epic box art. Ultima II is a personal favorite.
Hilarious looking back, how they never represented what the games were actually like.
box_front.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice. In one of our retrospective interviews, Al Escudero actually explains why Spelljammer was a rushed project and ultimately not as good as it was originally supposed to be, and talks about how Dark Sun was that which drained all resources from SSI at the time* -- so there wasn't really any chance of a sequel to Spelljammer happening: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8596

* I also recall Joel Billings saying the same thing in the last part of his Matt Chat interview.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I tried Spelljammer a few years ago and found the mix of the various gameplay elements didn't work all that well. Wish Escudero's original vision that seemed more classical RPG would have been, instead of the odd strategy/action-thing it became

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom