Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sequel to Fallout: New Vegas possible?

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
The only way Isometric TB Fallout spin-off possible, is to set them outside United State.
So it will not be confused for the main series (Bethesda turning them as FPS game), and the spin-off will have own identities as Isometric TB Fallout and the setting will not based in US.

But i doubt it will ever happen :negative:

Last edited:

Maldoror

Scholar
When people are talking about the bugginess of New Vegas, and other Bethesda games from that generation, that is usually because of the PS3 versions of those games.

Just to give my two cents on the matter, I was unfortunate enough to play 200 hours (roughly) of Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim on the PS3, unpatched and without DLC, and only experienced hard-crashes and serious technical faults in the lattermost title. I was a lucky outlier.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Unfortunate enough?" Like you just slipped on a banana peel and fell into a chair? For 200 hours?

Bitch please. You sound like a cheating wife. Lol shit just happened so fast and the next thing I know I had big black cocks in every orifice, totally not my fault lololololololo. Take some responsibility for your choices son.

Nines

Learned
Peasantry as a form of interracial group sex? Totally makes sense to me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The question is whether Bethesda feel territorial over Fallout like they obviously do Elder Scrolls or whether they would farm it out again. I kind of wonder if New Vegas was a one-off "gift" the old fans (whether you liked said gift or not) or whether it was a real release strategy going forward. Either way, as an unashamed New Vegas lover I would obviously love for Obsidian to have another go. Sawyer did a fuck-lot better with New Vegas than he did with PoE, so put his shit to good use.

Maldoror

Scholar
"Unfortunate enough?" Take some responsibility for your choices son.
Unfortunate, as in, I was without access to a capable PC during the period of time that I played those titles, and only had access to the aforementioned platform.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bitch please. I have a PS3 too so I know from experience there are plenty of decent games for it. Dark Souls. GTA V. Red Dead Redemption. Uncharted. Gran Turismo 6 if you have a steering wheel controller.

Don't blame the platform for your poor choices in life.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunate, as in, I was without access to a capable PC during the period of time that I played those titles, and only had access to the aforementioned platform.

I don't have the PC to play Witcher 3 right now but I'd rather wait and play it right than get it for a console. :martini:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
To see proof that the executives at Zenimax get games you simply must look at New Vegas: They reached out to Obsidian and asked them if they were interested. They knew there was demand for something close to Van Buren and they also knew the old Fallout fans were not pleased by Fallout 3.

Hell, look at Dishonored and even Wolfenstein, neither had an online component and both also had a large investment put into them. They do have some shitty publisher tactics, but they're backing up fairly "risky" (risky for the average AAA publisher) titles with huge marketing campaigns. They understand the various audiences and what they want, and they deliver it to them.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This makes too much sense on all fronts not to happen; Beth will probably spend 2016 doing patches and DLC for Fallout 4 and I bet Elder Scrolls VI isnt even in the planning stage and even if it was it would probably come out in at least 4 more years given the production schedules of their games in the past.
That leaves at least 3 years between products a probably we will by then see CD Projects new cyberpunk game. If they give Fallout San Quentin to Obsidian (to play out the missing prisioner storyline from Van Buren) they ensure they have another Fallout branded game by 2018 at the latest giving them another revenue stream to finance ES VI in 2020

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, The Elder Scrolls VI is in development. The two lead designers of The Elder Scrolls, Kurt Khullman and Bruce Nielsen would both be working on it during Fallout 4's development. Same with the Lead Artist Matt Carofano who would be building out an early design of the world.

I do think that TES VI will come out in 2019/2020 mainly due to Montreal's (in collaboration with Rockville) planned engine overhaul, they're hiring dedicated physics and engine programmers, something that Bethesda hasn't had before.

This is really good for Bethesda, often their games are too ambitious to fit within their small team structure and they haven't had time to focus on the engine side of things, until now.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bethesda Jealous about Obsidian putting a better Fallout game than them in every possible way.

New Vegas is still better than Fallout 4 (minus gunplay), so i doubt Bethesda will ever let them make another attempt on the Series.

Unless they release it in the form of a mod. That'd be totally acceptable, even welcome, for Beth.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"your baby...."

Sure, if your baby means the retarded, physically deformed offspring born out of the brutal rape of the mother.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
It's their fault in the first place for allowing more competent developer such as Obsidian (At that times) to develop Fallout game on their own engine. Beating them in every possible way and exposing them as inferiors compared to Obsidian. Hell they could take their own spin on Elder Scrolls franchise and makes them milllion times better than everything their produce in entire life of their existence.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Bethesda know what they're doing, you have two audiences: One who enjoy the action and ease of Mainstream Fallout and those who want the narrative qualities that Obsidian hold. Hence why they make the two games (Again, Todd Howard reached out to Obsidian for New Vegas to happen.) and keep both audiences happy. Sure, there's some added ire pointed at Bethesda Game Studios, but hey, the money only goes one place.

laclongquan

Arcane
IF that is true. My impression is that B is best at creating game world and interesting mechanics. Then proceeding to bash them to the ground by too easy gameplay and trashy writings.

IF they aware of their own shortcomings, then FNV is a best move, because it fix them. But my impression is that the thing is entirely an accident on B's excutives part. They wont repeat ever again, or their own writing department's feelings will be hurt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer's thoughts on a Fallout 4 spinoff: http://multiplayer.it/articoli/162439-pillars-of-eternity-unintervista-nel-ghiaccio.html

Google Translate said:
And instead of talking about Fallout, given that several years ago you worked in New Vegas, what do you imagine today a new stand-alone expansion set Bethesda universe?

I've thought a lot recently. Given adherence to real environments, I feel comfortable only in areas realize that I know personally, for this all my thoughts about Fallout tend to be associated with the west coast and the Midwest. I think it would be interesting to go back in the Boneyard to see what worked (and even more interesting, what did not work) in the most central part of the New California Republic after all these years. However, given that the Midwest has not been considered in the time of Fallout Tactics, I guess Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit and Cleveland could be all of the wonderful (and sometimes painful) memories of the industrial past of America in the 20th century. I rather less certain for what concerns the themes and story to tell. I think the post-apocalyptic environments have been widely discussed since Fallout 3 came on the market. I speak not only of the nuclear apocalypses, but of all those pandemics and disasters that leave 99% of the company late or significantly alter what remains of ' humanity. I think it's much harder to tell stories with these environments that engage the player with other interesting topics. In my opinion it's not really possible to tell original stories with those environments. The plot and the setting must connect perfectly with the themes you want to deal with. The nuclear apocalypse is a fear of generation of Tim Cain [the principal designer of the first Fallout], a little 'less than mine and I think for the younger generation is something quite distant. We also explored extensively these issues recently. I think there are elements also scary and exciting idea that the society of the 21st century does not collapse quickly, but will continue to degenerate slowly as they age. One hypothesis less apocalyptic and more dystopian.Dysfunctions that we can see today on the news but magnified and accelerated by the passage of other decades. I think these fears are interconnected to our thoughts today and more interesting to explore. But to be honest I continue to be interested for future environments that are neither optimistic nor pessimistic: worlds where humans have suffered numerous catastrophes but they made it and have adapted to the new conditions of life. For how fragile our existence, we are masters of adaptation. We do not need a world plagued by war and darkness to explore the ways in which we can face the challenges of the future.

typical user

Arbiter
Would be nice to see Chicago and the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel again. Midwester had good factions - mutant remnants, Reavers, Beastlords, etc. We never saw Chicago except in game intro and first stage being in its outskirts.

New Orleans is too close to the East Coast for Obsidian to develop, I think.

I would like to see Oregon/northern lands as in Fallout 2 you could talk with some woman about her kitty and she mentioned that two large mutant forces came through Den going north decades ago while the other band moved east.

Think about a game set between Fallout 1 and 2 where Brotherhood of Steel sends it's teams north to kill remnants of mutant army while finding an Enclave/Institute/Think-Tank mash-up doing mercenary work and acting as New Vegas Legion in their lands. Add to that some secret facility that both sides want to seize as there are nukes and AI threathning wastes with their launch as well as factory creating army of bots (like in Neuroshima).

Fallout: Tactics shouldn't be canon, but it's main story line should be re-used like bits of story and characters from Van Buren.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still think that San Francisco would be an interesting setting because of its location, having a new sort of threat take over Alcatraz would be interesting. Also having something totally way off base like Florida beign separtated into islands with all sorts of mutated sealife, or New Orleans with vodoo dolls and swamp horros would be amazing to explore.
Maybe Todd and company would see it this way, the spinoffs like New Vegas can take risks on the setting that their numbered sequels simply cant risk; deathclaws, Brotherhood of steel and vaults are what most of the Beth fans of Fallout are expecting from them, but the spinoffs would work as more experimental for the actual evolution of the setting

Sannom

Augur
Maybe Todd and company would see it this way, the spinoffs like New Vegas can take risks on the setting that their numbered sequels simply cant risk; deathclaws, Brotherhood of steel and vaults are what most of the Beth fans of Fallout are expecting from them, but the spinoffs would work as more experimental for the actual evolution of the setting
Unlikely, I think. As far as Bethesda is concerned, spin-offs, or at least spin-offs like New Vegas, should be cheaper to produce. And that means re-using lots of assets and making the game relatively fast. Both constraints seem unlikely to produce something with many new designs and a wholly new part of the U.S to explore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom