Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sequel to Fallout: New Vegas possible?

Codexlurker

Savant
Hey, I am wondering about everyone's thoughts on the possibility of Obsidian making a standalone game based off of the Fallout 4 engine. Is it possible or not and give me the reasons why. I am just interested because even though I never got to touch Fallout 1 and 2, I read some of the lore and Fallout 4 breaks it continuously with stuff like power armor being everywhere and etc. I hope Obsidian makes a kind of sequel to New Vegas so I can try that out instead of Fallout 4.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Bethesda Jealous about Obsidian putting a better Fallout game than them in every possible way.

New Vegas is still better than Fallout 4 (minus gunplay), so i doubt Bethesda will ever let them make another attempt on the Series.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
If it was based on the Fallout 4 engine I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Codexlurker

Savant
Bethesda Jealous about Obsidian putting a better Fallout game than them in every possible way.

New Vegas is still better than Fallout 4 (minus gunplay), so i doubt Bethesda will ever let them make another attempt on the Series.

Are you sure Bethesda considers NV superior? They might be narcissistic enough to think their game is above criticism. I mean the fans already do.

Sinatar

Arbiter
After Obsidian got fucked out of their royalties for New Vegas, would they really be anxious to jump in bed with Bethesda again? I mean according to Steamspy New Vegas sold 4 million on Steam alone (who knows what console sales are like) and Obsidian didn't see a dime of that.

Codexlurker

Savant
After Obsidian got fucked out of their royalties for New Vegas, would they really be anxious to jump in bed with Bethesda again? I mean according to Steamspy New Vegas sold 4 million on Steam alone (who knows what console sales are like) and Obsidian didn't see a dime of that.

Wow, Bethesda really turned into a group of assholes.

FATAL ERROR DETECTED. RECTIFY IMMEDIATELY.
Don't worry, I will. I also need to play/buy AoD, and KotC eventually.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Also, man, imagine all the work Obsidian would have putting a proper aRPG system in the turd that is FO4.

Yeah, there aren't any salvageable at all in Fallout 4 (except maybe gunplay?)

The Voiced Protagonist being the biggest issue, it really limits the character you can roleplay.

Codexlurker

Savant
Yeah, there aren't any salvageable at all in Fallout 4 (except maybe gunplay?)

The Voiced Protagonist being the biggest issue, it really limits the character you can roleplay.

Yea, I really hate voiced characters in games. The only game in which I really thought voice acting wouldn't limit it is Deus Ex. There still are attributes in FO4 isn't there? There can be something salvageable I hope.

ortucis

Prophet
I am guessing that Bethesda will give Obsidian license to create another standalone expansion, considering the shit reception they got.

Think about it. Majority of Bethesda fanboys actually think New Vegas was created by Bethesda (the reason why they have to be corrected every time). Bethesda gets good press from Obsidian's talent and just have to bribe enough presstards to get Metacritic rating under 85. It's a win-win situation.

There won't be New Vegas 2 but something new. Obsidian will also probably end up adding some more RPG elements, like the weapon mods and tweaks they added in NV. In the end, Bethesda will get the good press.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

The faulty logic here is that the outsourced developer (Obsidian) only gets a flat payment while the Publisher (Bethesda) reaps all of the sales profit. But it's cute some of you are so naive as to think they personally give a shit what a small percentage of gamers think in the face of the tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars they soak in for simply licensing and funding a title.

Uh... aren't they working on such stellar projects like World of Tanks? And they lost MCA. Pretty sure they need the work.

... it really limits the character you can roleplay.

E-larper detected.

imweasel

It's practically the same engine as New Vegas?
As much as I like New Vegas, because it is a good game, I never liked the framework or engine.

A sequel to New Vegas would be great, just not with the Creation Engine or Beths framework.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But... you liked it enough that the engine didn't matter the first time? Not saying it's a good engine. It's terrible but... logical consistency evades some of you all...

imweasel

Just because I like the game doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Good game. Great content. Shit engine. Shit framework.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Even if they did they would have to use the new "template" for the game.

Which means no skills, no proper dialogues etc.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nonsense, game can have the old dialogue and skills. especially if it is a spin off.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nonsense, game can have the old dialogue and skills. especially if it is a spin off.

I have a feeling Sawyer is totally on board with the spirit of the changes Bethesda made. The extreme granularity needed to go.

After Obsidian got fucked out of their royalties for New Vegas, would they really be anxious to jump in bed with Bethesda again?

Yes, and they even said as much.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
would they really be anxious to jump in bed with Bethesda again?

Yes. I would bet on it.
Feargus skipping off the chance to ride the hype train again? Don't think so.

If Beth$ would swallow their ego and grant the their rights again to Obsidian, would they force them to use their already further dumbed down system from Fallout 3?
Also, how many people that worked on New Vegas are still at Obsidian?
Sawyer is still there but is this enough?

Tim Cain was invited to the launch party of Fallout 4 and I like to think that he had a chat with Howard about a possible Fallout: Insert Subtitle made by Obsiadin.
We talk about Tim Cain here, regarded one of the founding fathers of Fallout 1 along with Boyarsky and Anderson.
Is enough for Tim Cain on the team to guarantee a quality Fallout 4 spin-off?
I don't think so because Fallout 1 came out to be a jewel of a game because of a very concentrated team effort.

Lhynn

Arcane
I have a feeling Sawyer is totally on board with the spirit of the changes Bethesda made. The extreme granularity needed to go.
Uhm, no it didnt. Tho sawyer being on board with retarded developmental decisions is whats expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom