Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You never finished Fallout 3 and Skyrim because those games were colossal piles of shit. Can't speak about Witcher 3 as i never looked at it.

Haha, all this talk got me replaying again. Plus I figured I could use a short break from Nioh 2, to avoid getting burned out there. Started this morning and went for a meta fag run of getting up to 9 flasks before even doing Genichiro or Lady Butterfly. Man this game feels really tiny compared to Elden Ring, which is good of course. So, the last gourd seed I grabbed was in Mibu village, so figured I would do the Corrupted Monk too while at it, to unlock diving. Fuck me, that guy took forever to get his posture broken with only a single attack upgrade and Demon Bell enabled. I actually fucked up enough to run out of all 9 flasks during the fight and last moments were really tense because of it. Also my Nioh muscle memory is fucking me over now, I keep jumping when I want to sprint.

Yeah, great post. I definitely wanted to finish Sekiro just to get some closure after all the boss fights, but now that I've done it, I feel pretty done with FS. The final fight (sword saint isshin) was the last straw. Some of the previous boss fights were also pretty tough (Lady Butterfly, Genichiro, Guardian Apes, Corrupted Monk, Owl, etc), but Isshin was pure sadism. Having to redo the earlier phases so many times just to get to the later ones, the moveset, and the other crap. This is not a product meant for entertainment.

Which is stupid because it has to end. You can't design more and more demanding fights in terms of reflex and memorisation without them falling in the realm of absurdity at some point.

My favorite part of your post. As I was dying to Sword Saint Isshin during my runs, sometimes during the dying cinematic, I could see him levitate over my corpse in his 3rd phase. He moves around so fast during the 3rd phase, they can't even give his legs animations, he is just literally levitating over ground.

And how the fuck is he striking you with a 4 mile long spear THROUGH the ground? How is he holding 3 weapons at the same time (sword, spear, pistol)? Where did he pull the spear out of? How does he have a repeating pistol during the Sengoku period in Japan? Why does he have 4 million hitpoints? Why does a sword saint fight with a spear, a pistol, and lightning?

The absuridity is next level now...

Isshin is an excellent and fun fight. I really don't see how anyone can hate him more than retarded crap like Mohg or Malenia, or that last boss from Elden Ring.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You never finished Fallout 3 and Skyrim because those games were colossal piles of shit. Can't speak about Witcher 3 as i never looked at it.
Twitcher III is much better but the repetitive gameplay felt like a chore.
Twice I tried and twice I failed, although the second attempt saw me reach the pseudo-nordic isles which are supposedly pretty high level so the third time may be the charm.

This is not a product meant for entertainment.
That's harsh. It features the epigone of their fan-fueled insistance on challenge, but as I wrote, besides that is a whole and perfectly fine game. I found it to be more entertaining than Dark Souls II or III.
I had such a good time on Sekiro that it made me finally give in and try Bloodborne, which I had, prior to playing this game, no confidence in being any interesting (was pretty burnt).
Is this another shameless plug for Bloodborne and how it's the best FS game ever made ? You bet your sorry ass it is.

By the way PorkyThePaladin, your lack of mentioning it makes it look like you didn't explore the end game fully and missed Demon of Hatred. Unless you actually somehow found him easier than Isshin, so much so that you didn't even think he was worth mentioning.

I am not going after optional bosses. I only fully explore games I actually enjoy, FS games since DaS 1-2, I am just trying to complete them ASAP, keep the aggravation down to a minimum.

According to the Wiki, I beat 11 out of 14 major bosses (missed Owl version 2, Demon of Hatred, and old version of Isshin), and vast majority of mini-bosses (didn't kill the giant Carp, and a few randoms). Meh...

I am not going after optional bosses. I only fully explore games I actually enjoy, FS games since DaS 1-2, I am just trying to complete them ASAP, keep the aggravation down to a minimum.

Then what the fuck are you going through these games for if you don't even enjoy them? Fucking hell, you must be a real busy guy.

Well, I started playing FS games in like 2018 or so, enjoyed DaS1 quiet a bit. Not like there has been a ton of great games released since then... But yeah, after Sekiro I kinda came to the same conclusion, time to move on...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
By the way PorkyThePaladin, your lack of mentioning it makes it look like you didn't explore the end game fully and missed Demon of Hatred. Unless you actually somehow found him easier than Isshin, so much so that you didn't even think he was worth mentioning.

I'm told that Demon is very hard if you haven't played the Souls games, since he is the one boss in the game that acts he came from Dark Souls. So essentially you had to forget everything you learned in Sekiro and run around like a chicken.

But otherwise, I didn't find the demon on the same level of Isshin at all.

In terms of difficulty I would say SS Isshin>>>>>Owl 2>>Demon.

I should go back and face "regular" Isshin. But that's like at least a 20-hour investment unless I just download a save from somewhere.

Demon is hardest to me by far since I cannot be arsed to start playing Souls at the end of Sekiro. It's the only boss fight in the game I completely dislike.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If this game doesn't have multiplayer why does it have to connect to a server when launching? Lmao the fuck is this bullshit. The menu in From games is the most obnoxious shit ever. Every time you need to go back to the main menu for whatever reason you have to go through five windows including the log in one every single time.

Anyway, i wonder if the percieved greater difficulty of this game compared to the Souls is not also due the fact there's no summoning or anything like that? I have a feeling a lot of the people who say they have completed Souls bosses solo actually didn't, and when they try this game when you don't have the option to bypass bosses by just summoning some random guy they hit a brick wall.

I must have clocked a million hours in Elden Ring helping people in co-op and the amount of connections i got is kinda shocking to be honest. Even on the current SL1 i'm doing, i still get summoned tons of times, including by other SL1 characters which would seem to defeat the purpose of doing a SL1 run if you are letting other people doing it for you but faggots gonna fag i guess? I'm curious to see if i still get summoned by SL1 guys even once i upgrade my weapon past +3, just to see how many people are actually doing it legit.

Last edited:
If this game doesn't have multiplayer why does it have to connect to a server when launching? Lmao the fuck is this bullshit. The menu in From games is the most obnoxious shit ever. Every time you need to go back to the main menu for whatever reason you have to go through five windows including the log in one every single time.

Anyway, i wonder if the percieved greater difficulty of this game compared to the Souls is not also due the fact there's no summoning or anything like that? I have a feeling a lot of the people who say they have completed Souls bosses solo actually didn't, and when they try this game when you don't have the option to bypass bosses by just summoning some random guy they hit a brick wall.

Network settings -> Offline mode. It disables that remnants garbage that only shits up the visuals of the game.

As for difficulty, yeah I have a similar feeling. Also the fact that you cannot overlevel for boss fights as the only way to increase attack power is to beat them. And most of the items that increase your health are gotten from minibosses. Truth is, this game is actually easier than most Souls games, it's just that you probably won't see that on first playthrough. It does a good job of tricking the player into thinking it's harder than it actually is.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If you can turn off online mode what's the online for then? Does not compute lmao.

Ok so I did the first Owl fight without needing a single heal, then went straight to unlock the other Owl fight. I died to him because my game randomly minimized to desktop. I change my mind, second Owl fight is harder. He completely caught me off guard with that minimizing the game move, well done Miyazaki.

Seriously though, does anyone else have this issue with Sekiro? This is not the first time it happened to me, can't figure out why it does that.

Elttharion

Learned
Ok so I did the first Owl fight without needing a single heal, then went straight to unlock the other Owl fight. I died to him because my game randomly minimized to desktop. I change my mind, second Owl fight is harder. He completely caught me off guard with that minimizing the game move, well done Miyazaki.

Seriously though, does anyone else have this issue with Sekiro? This is not the first time it happened to me, can't figure out why it does that.
I had this problem and I fixed it by using Borderless Gaming

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Owl 2 is just "new & improved" Psycho Mantis.

A true shinobi would be able to beat me blindfolded (minimized)!

I had this problem and I fixed it by using Borderless Gaming

Yeah that might do it I guess, I do have it installed but haven't used it in a while. Thanks.

Majority of game done in two days, just a last stretch of minibosses left until the Sword Saint. And if I played it as much as yesterday it would've been completed already. This really must be the shortest From game, at least out of those on PC. Not that I mind that at all.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Anyway, i wonder if the percieved greater difficulty of this game compared to the Souls is not also due the fact there's no summoning or anything like that?
It absolutely is about that, yes. It's amplified by the souls reflexes which will soon play against you, and learning to unlearn them won't come as quickly for everyone.
Although, as mentioned above itt, it has a rather lengthy "boss rush" at the end.

Before the end, it's not that difficult though.
I think no FS game comes close to Dark Souls II SOTFS with the hardcore covenant, whatever its name was, in terms of challenge. This shit was just brutal.

Although, as mentioned above itt, it has a rather lengthy "boss rush" at the end.

I have no idea why people say this. There's about the same amount of bosses and minibosses at the end as ever. And the space between them is the same too. What makes it a "boss rush"? Because you revisit the same area you already cleared of bosses and it's repopulated? The way I understand a "boss rush" is when you are doing one boss after another, and that's not what happens at the end.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The way I understand a "boss rush" is when you are doing one boss after another, and that's not what happens at the end.
Yeah that's an improper way to put it. But the content in between in the last third of the game or so is almost irrelevant, challenge-wise, compared to these boss fights.
Talking strictly about difficulty spikes, basically.

And the comparison with Demon's Souls, as it's where it all started in a way, is amusing, as the latter conveys the opposite sensation (harder levels, anecdotical bosses) throughout the game.

Sekiro is way harder than Elden Ring, because the actual combat system in ER cannot be done by mere humans, the bosses are too spazzy, so everyone uses some cheese. In Sekiro you can't (for the most part) so for all practical purposes Sekiro >>>> ER.

Lambach

Arcane
Sekiro is way harder than Elden Ring, because the actual combat system in ER cannot be done by mere humans, the bosses are too spazzy, so everyone uses some cheese.

There are people in this very thread who recorded themselves beating those tough ER Bosses with just ye-olde rolls and proper timing on their attacks. :M

But yeah, ER allows for a lot more cheese and brute-forcing than Sekiro in general, but there are more than a few cheese opportunities there as well. I would've never in a million years been able to survive Demon of Hatred's third phase without abusing a certain Prosthetic that he is specifically vulnerable to, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom