Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Second Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion

Warden

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
Well I guess the proverbial cat is out of the bag now.

How in the world is anything supposed to stay sekrit on the intart00b.

Hi Obsidian developer!
I'll ask you a few questions.. actually, I'll give you a few advices about this new expansion; or a mix of both? :p People from Obsidian seem much less mentally warped than the imbeciles they share the site with so a normal discussion will be possible I think. (Why do you have your forums there anyway? :/ )

1. Please, make the game start from level 1. Finally, a new story for a brand new character build..

2. Without forced party members! Not for a second!

3. With XP gain based on how many party members you have in your party. I.e. the XP would be SPLIT among party members. So no more same XP gain for my PC as a solo character and for my PC x 4. Eh, we should reward the hard work with more XP, don't you think?

4. Resting system.. oh, that was always a problem. Leave the spiritmeter alone - to enhance the challenge you must severly limit resting. Do it by introducing a pay-for-resting system - based on the level of your characters. For example; you can buy a rest-kit for level 1 characters in shops which heals level 1 characters together with replenishing spells completely when they rest. The kit is consumed in the process of course. If you rest without that kit - nothing happens. As you level up a new kit for your level becomes available (which would be more costly of course..). If you implement this I want a copyright payment. :cool:

5. No perma regeneration items. Because fighter classes would have a big advantage (if point 4. is implemented) - since they don't need spells but just HP to be effective in battles. They could just stand out of battles to replenish hp (thus the pay for resting system would be obsolete for them).

6. Loading system. OnModuleLoad ( :P ) gold lost based on your cumulative party level. So.. if you die.. and load. You lose some gold. Or if you don't solve a puzzle in the first try - and if you want to load to try to click the other 2 options you lose some gold. And that's fair, so you'd think twice if to load or not in such situations.

7. Dead characters standing up after battles. Please no! Make resurrection and raise dead have its function - but with the little difference that you can successfully use those 2 spells only after the battle is over! Also, I would implement the rule that if the PC is dead you lost.. but oh well.

8. No free healing from priests of Illmater, Helm, Torm, Florm etc.. This makes resting and your own healing capabilities trivial. So please don't include free healers under any circumstances!

9. Make a button in the toolset so I can eliminate every reference to the Forgotten Realms world in my module (such as deities at character creation, names of certain classes -> Red Wizards of Thay to just Red Wizards, etc.) if I want my module to be set in a different universe. :D
I like the FR universe but I would like my work to be something unique.. I bought NWN 2 + MotB mainly for the toolset, (which I use so little - haven't even finished my first area :cry: ), since I knew I won't like forced party members and a linear progression through the game + starting at level 158 in MotB. :(
So much work to do.. must open the module. And expect all the things which I pointed out here to be included in it. :p

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
coz some ppl love a dick up their ass

Warden

Arbiter
Lestat said:
Why? What's so special about the PC an why should he be immune to ressurecting spells?

First, because the PC is you. You can't know if your party members will abandon you if you die. ;)
Second, and more important - gameplay reasons. Lets say all other points which I suggested are implemented. So.. your PC is dead and you continue playing with your party members without resurrecting him? :roll: For example.. they don't have e resting kit and a cleric needs to rest to cast his raise dead spell - they'll travel to the nearest town to buy a resting kit with you resting dead in the woods kilometres away? What if your body disappears? :P

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Warden said:
First, because the PC is you. You can't know if your party members will abandon you if you die. ;)
Second, and more important - gameplay reasons. Lets say all other points which I suggested are implemented. So.. your PC is dead and you continue playing with your party members without resurrecting him? :roll: For example.. they don't have e resting kit and a cleric needs to rest to cast his raise dead spell - they'll travel to the nearest town to buy a resting kit with you resting dead in the woods kilometres away? What if your body disappears? :P
metagaming

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
First, because the PC is you. You can't know if your party members will abandon you if you die.
You do know, actually. Obsidian games are known for their fabulous influence system!
Second, and more important - gameplay reasons. Lets say all other points which I suggested are implemented. So.. your PC is dead and you continue playing with your party members without resurrecting him? For example.. they don't have e resting kit and a cleric needs to rest to cast his raise dead spell - they'll travel to the nearest town to buy a resting kit with you resting dead in the woods kilometres away? What if your body disappears?
1. Arcanum handled it quite well. The game ended several seconds after the PC's dead. Your party members automatically ressurected the PC, if they had means to do it, during that period of time.
2. Those ungrateful bastards can bloody well carry the PC's corpse to the nearest temple.

Warden

Arbiter
Lestat said:
2. Those ungrateful bastards can bloody well carry the PC's corpse to the nearest temple.

What if your PC is fat and you have only weak mage/clerics in your party that can barely hold a quarter of a staff properly without crying like a baby!? :x
(And if you don't have rideable horses at your disposal!!)

mjorkerina

Scholar
What if, what if, what if.

Tell you what. It's a bloody cRPG. It's not a virtual reality. It cannot take into account every what if anyone can come up with. By adding too many layers of variable checking it would only make for a buggier game experience.

Warden

Arbiter
Lestat said:
Bull's Strength.

What if it doesn't last long enough and thus they have to drop you down during area transitions in inaccessible zones!? You would be lost for evaaar! No load could ever save you then..

And what.. if they don't have bull's strenght?

Warden

Arbiter
mjorkerina said:

Tell you what. It's a bloody cRPG. It's not a virtual reality. It cannot take into account every what if anyone can come up with. By adding too many layers of variable checking it would only make for a buggier game experience.

You're vaccinated against sarcasm, right?

I'm just simulating a typical codexian discussion - bringing in and hanging onto the most unimportant elements.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Warden said:
I'm just simulating a typical codexian discussion - bringing in and hanging onto the most unimportant elements.

Sigworthy...
unfortunately, I don't add quotes to my sig. Someone else will have to do this :)

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Warden said:
What if it doen't last long enough and thus they have to drop you down during area transitions in inaccessible zones!? You would be lost for evaaar! No load could ever save you then..
Then they rest for 8 hours and cast it again.
And what.. if they don't have bull's strenght?
Then you're out of luck.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Actually I don't care much for the influence system as it is , in NWN2 OC at least. You gain and lose influence from a bunch of unimportant dialogs while some of the most serious events in game and even exclusive party-members quests don't have much of an impact in influence.

I think influence in KOTOR2 was better implemented. Generally I think that influence should be gained or lost in fewer instances that have an importance in how the game continues. Also I think charisma should play a bigger role in influence, since it's a stat that supposedly shows how good a leader you are. Also intelligence and wisdom should play a bigger part in conversations and give bigger bonuses to stats like diplomacy-bluff-intimidate. I mean someone with intelligence or wisdom of 20 should get at least a +5 in one of those verbal skills.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anthony - whatever you do there - hide the fucking influence up/down messages and numbers. that looks not so interesting if you exactly know how npc reacts.
and this time - please tell those lazy bastards at Obsidian to make influence to be not just an empty word.
good example of how you can really influence someone and change them - Viconia and Sarevok from BG2 SoA/ToB
because in MotB influence stat is more like ass-licking stat

David "Roll Eyes" Gaider aka "I know best": The guy who writes games and rolls eyes for a living

ROFL. so true

mjorkerina

Scholar
Warden said:
mjorkerina said:

You're vaccinated against sarcasm, right?

I'm not vaccinated against sarcasm, you just felt like arguing with Andhaira. You are good enough to simulate the genuine experience.

Warden

Arbiter
mjorkerina said:
I'm not vaccinated against sarcasm, you just felt like arguing with Andhaira. You are good enough to simulate the genuine experience.

Sorry, what do you exactly want from me, french violet?

Lumpy

Arcane
I think it's worth remembering that Resurrection ruins the setting.
Why didn't Akachi just resurrect the Founder? He probably was a high level cleric himself.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
As far as I recall, you'd need a body to perform a resurrection, otherwise according to FR-D&D rules, you'll have to perform a reincarnation instead (and then the soul won't be reborn with the same body). Or something like that. True resurrection also takes away the caster's lifespan, I think.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
True, but you could always use Miracle or Wish to ultra-ressurect any mortal who was not killed by really complicated means. I think only a god has the power to kill someone so utterly that Miracle or Wish have no effect; and I also think that if the dead mortal went to the Wall or if he was dead so long he fused with his alignment plane he'll be dead too.

Still, a timely Miracle or Wish...

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Warden said:
6. Loading system. OnModuleLoad ( Razz ) gold lost based on your cumulative party level. So.. if you die.. and load. You lose some gold. Or if you don't solve a puzzle in the first try - and if you want to load to try to click the other 2 options you lose some gold. And that's fair, so you'd think twice if to load or not in such situations.

This is stupid. Considering I get to play ~20-30 minutes at a time, this sort of system would unfairly screw up someone like me, compared to some kid who can spend all night playing. There are better ways to achieve the same goal, if you even consider it a worthy design goal.

What's the difference between Walkin' Dude and The Walkin' Dude?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom