Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

Caim

Arcane
Is it just me, or do the "more ammo" upgrades for the pistols and SMGs seem kinda pointless? I got 1000 spare ammo in Robocop's gun (skin for the light SMG) and I never come even close to running out. Same goes for Decker's guns (skin for the heavy pistols).

That's why the fans rate SR2 as the best in the series. The city is much much more alive than in SRTT&4. The details are great, pedestrians not only chat with each another, they also do activities randomly. Playing some social games, steal cars, listening music, jogs, etc. The gang members patrol their hoods and talk to their comrades. The bikers hang out in fuel stations, tourists taking pictures across the city, college boys use their laptop at the university, cheer leaders practicing their moves, the bums enjoy their drugs, people are actually clubbing in the night clubs etc. Each district truly feels different, from chinatown, barrio, redlight, marina, to the elite Saints Row district. There are also a lot of secrets to find, like the secret island, sunken ship, etc. Those little things make SR2 far from boring for me.

Just look at idolninja's SR4 review, he talks about this stuff a lot bro.
Yeah, the city in Saints Row 2 was a lot of fun to just go around. From the trailer park to the suburbs to the city center to the airport to the 'hoods; all felt right. You could only find certain cars in certain parts of the city; no use trying to get yourself a limo in the 'hoods. It just felt good.

I started playing it and as expected it's as subtle as a jackhammer... in the good kind of a way. The moment at the beginning when you were riding a ICBM while Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing" was playing was absolutely awesome.
It must have been the fastest fucking missile on the planet too, going from Terrorististan to Washington D.C. in a matter of minutes.

Cassidy

Arcane
This fuckin game

mid-late spoilers ahoy

XK65rY9.jpg

KKO5FNA.jpg

wlhLxiA.jpg

4zYJpRg.jpg

0Ko7dj7.jpg

1EZtUfX.jpg

Gvda4jO.jpg

Jimbob's Boss reminds me of:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
...no, no, no. One does not start playing 'The Touch' and then shamelessly quote Opitmus Prime and Megatron.

That would be just too awesome for a human to comprehend. Nobody can be that brilliant to come up with it.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This fuckin game

mid-late spoilers ahoy
TBH I thought that the Saints of Rage was a fun idea, especially the intro and I laughed out loud when I saw the name, but the experience was marred by it being too long. One level would be IMHO enough to get the point across.
Also Pierce's Keith David's loyalty missions are top notch.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Wait,why can't I romace Keith David,do I need to do some loyalty mission first or he just doesn't like my Nolan North voice?:?

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Holy shit that airplane mission. That got real dark real fast.

Wait,why can't I romace Keith David,do I need to do some loyalty mission first or he just doesn't like my Nolan North voice?:?
No, that's because some people are untouchable institutes of all that is good and wholesome. Keith David is one of them, and as such he cannot be romanced lest the institute that is Keith David is forever soiled.

And I must have misheard. Female Voice 2 isn't Russian, it's French. Which still is kinda cool.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Female 2 used to be Russian and fantastic. I miss her :(

@evdk agreed, a couple of levels would have been enough. It's about the only part of the game (other than the fucking store hacking who decided that was a good idea Jesus Christ) that I think crosses the line from making fun of bad parts of other games to just... being bad. Understandable, of course, but they really should have cut it shorter.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Huh, I enjoyed the store hacking :oops:

I thought the later puzzles struck a good balance between fun and challenge for this kind of casual game. At least, none of them took me more than a couple of attempts so I didn't find them irritating -- hacking all the stores in Steelport was one of the first challenges I completed.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, the hacking was surprisingly fun and not too difficult so that it would not grind the game to a halt.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Buying steam games at launch is retarded. Just wait and in two weeks it'll be at -50% in some weekend sale

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I generally agree with that sentiment and I planned on doing just that, but in the end my will broke and I pre-ordered. I just liked SR3 that much.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
SR4 badly needs:
  • a way to organize and/or rearrange vehicles in the garage (SR3 suffered from this same issue, namely consolization)
  • superpowers and especially melee weapons should be usable instantly during any stage of sprinting or jumping, most importantly during the "recovery from landing" and "skid to a halt after sprinting" phases
  • barring that, "normal" sprinting should still be an option so that you don't have to fucking crawl like a God damned slug from one enemy to the next when using melee weapons
  • use of Sprint and Jump could be a little more fluid and less janky (these are very minor niggles, but they matter)
  • an actual use for regular old cars and motorcycles other than just driving from A to B, since you can fly there in a beeline like Superman
  • more to do at endgame than just start trouble until the cops/aliens show up (e.g. Flashpoints, Hotspots and Virus Eliminations randomly crop back up in much harder versions)

Other than that, it was pretty damned fun and did many things right, including a number of improvements over SR3.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm not poor, so that's not really an issue for me when I know I want to buy a game. Steam Summer Sales and Weekend Deals are when I take chances on titles I find intriguing but am fairly sure could easily be shit.

Being a skinflint and expecting nearly every game to cost $5-$20 is pure decline, although with AAA games it doesn't matter, because AAA is also the decline. Just don't do it with incline.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not either... mostly because I don't overpay for things. And I hate to break it to you but this is a AAA game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm not either... mostly because I don't overpay for things.

If you think it's too costly, then just don't buy it. Purposely complaining about how "expensive" it is and badgering other people with your opinion that they've overpaid makes you either a whiny poor person, a cunt, or both. I can very easily afford the price and chose to pay it; no "overpaying" happening except by some arbitrary, asinine definition you've devised for trolling purposes.

I got it from the very first, you don't think the game is worth more than a pittance. That's fantastic, you're very highbrow indeed; well done, mate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom