Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
well okay what about the bit where you lock a completely innocent girl in the trunk of a monster truck and trick her (evil at least) boyfriend into crushing her to death

...innocent? She's the one who came up with having Carlos kidnapped and then drug around town chained to the back of the truck. Leaving him mangled to the point that a bullet to the head was a mercy. Then decided to do the dumb ass move of taunting the Saints about it. Previous to that she helped organize or cover for many of Maero's crimes.

Cyrus Temple pulls the exact same "let me tell you about a helpless girl who became the victim of gang violence" speech in SR:TT, not mentioning that she herself was part of that chaos.

Oh, good grief, really? I thought that was someone else entirely, I guess I paid less attention to SR2 than I thought. Never mind. Have some Feel Boss:

CzPkdXWh.jpg

LkPMx8Ph.jpg

Ww4riO0h.jpg

2DefQmLh.jpg

ihYsnJGh.jpg

So that *was* Matt Miller I saw in the trailer. Suppose it makes sense with the setting. Must.get.this.game.

Edit: Is that some kind of techno Nyteblade outfit he's rocking?

Oh shit! Old school Shaundi!

Caim

Arcane
Guys.

I was being chased by the cops while in a cab over truck (no idea how I got in there). I always have The Mix on in Saints Row, which happened to switch to a new song.

Specifically, it switched to Stan Bush' The Touch.

Game of the fucking Year right here.

So I took a look at the DLC and

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238304/?snr=1_5_9__405

You've never let anyone else tell you what to do so why let us get away with it? The Executive Privilege Pack does away with checks and balances and gives you the power to make the world of Saints Row IV your own. Cheat your way to a hollow victory today!

:lol:

(shame it's basically a paid-for unlimited money cheat, which is maximum decline)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guys.

I was being chased by the cops while in a cab over truck (no idea how I got in there). I always have The Mix on in Saints Row, which happened to switch to a new song.

You still drive? :P

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
I got SR2. It had unbelievably terrible controls, limp-dick gunplay with guns feeling pissy and weak and pointless minigames. Is this game SIGNIFICANTLY better on all those areas or is it another case of the 'Dex loving a shit game for the sake of being tasteless?

Eyeball

Arcane
No, really, SR2's controls were just so bad it was nigh-on unplayable. Cars controlled like pieces of brick sliding Down a hill and every firearm was pewpewpew with no real feel of impact. If this has not been addressed, I see zero reason to spend any Money buying this NeXT chapter of wacky gangster fantasy.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
controls are a lot better in srtt und sr4, since now it's not an atrocious fucking port. some of the conventional guns are lacklustre, but you won't be using those for long, since the gun that goe wubuwbuwub instead is a lot better.

and cars? cars are for plebeian.

i wonder why they bother with mod support. this is pretty much all games. what could modders possibly add that's not in already? rap- oh. ohhhhh.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If anything the guns (other than the starting or "normal" weapons) are OP. The preorder gun 'Merica just kills anything you point it at instantly (as it should :patriot:) and another one as long as you hit one enemy with the projectile it will bounce around killing all the other enemies, but it's not an fps, so you probably won't like the 'feel of impact' whatever that means. The controls are fine. The minigames are fun, but if you didn't like them in SR2 you probably won't like them now, unless the controls were the reason you didn't like them.

I knew this was going to be a mindless shitfest, but really what the fuck did I just play? It's probably the only game that made me actually feel dumber after playing it. Literally. It's completely, utterly meaningless - there's no challenge in anything. Why is this a game? What part of it is remotely enjoyable if there's no way to fail at anything?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Challenge fags gonna challenge. :M

There are some games which are just good to experience. Even if it is dumb. It is called dumb fun.

It's probably the only game that made me actually feel dumber after playing it.
I don't think it is possible to go into negative. :troll:

Cool name

Arcane
EntertainedHumanist 21 hours ago

Saints Row 1 and 2 are the best installments in the series. I started off at 3 and thought it was so dope, but honestly, after the first 2, I see how it was just some fruity-colored wannabe hood garbage for kids. First 2 had a legit urban experience. Real feel of gangsterism. Now it's space, aliens and all that whack shit.

True dat.

That part in which you steal a military helicopter, fight endless attack helicopters around a corporate headquarters tower while destroying key parts of the structure, and then crash your helicopter through the evil dude's office's window so that you can shoot his brains out in particular.

Legit urban experience. Real gangsta feel.

Eyeball

Arcane
That sounds like excellent GTA-style fun in the vein of Gay Tony. Might pick this up when it becomes 75% off.

EntertainedHumanist 21 hours ago

Saints Row 1 and 2 are the best installments in the series. I started off at 3 and thought it was so dope, but honestly, after the first 2, I see how it was just some fruity-colored wannabe hood garbage for kids. First 2 had a legit urban experience. Real feel of gangsterism. Now it's space, aliens and all that whack shit.

True dat.

That part in which you steal a military helicopter, fight endless attack helicopters around a corporate headquarters tower while destroying key parts of the structure, and then crash your helicopter through the evil dude's office's window so that you can shoot his brains out in particular.

Legit urban experience. Real gangsta feel.

Don't laugh. My neighbourhood has a serious problem with thugs stealing firetrucks and hosing everything with poo.

I got SR2. It had unbelievably terrible controls, limp-dick gunplay with guns feeling pissy and weak and pointless minigames. Is this game SIGNIFICANTLY better on all those areas or is it another case of the 'Dex loving a shit game for the sake of being tasteless?

SR2 is a huge stinking turd of a port. SR3 and SR4 aren't.

Caim

Arcane
Controls are tight, guns are interesting (and actually are different from one another: Decker's guns work different from the DL-44's, for example), minigames are no longer required to play, cars can actually be driven now instead of aiming them and going ODIN GUIDE MY COCK, it runs way better for some reason and it's outright fun.

Guys.

You still drive? :P
Like I said, I found myself in a cab over truck because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Oh, and it even was called Petersomethingsomething. Peterson? Peterstein? I don't recall.

I pimped it up of course so I can drive the truck around if I feel like it.

But I have two problems with the game so far: Homies are all but useless (because they can't keep up with you) and whenever you switch a weapon the gun wheel covers your entire screen, which is annoying.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished it yesterday night after about 3 days of playing it on and off. It was just... incredibly awesome. The writers did a fantastic job; Bioware should hire them for Mass Effect 4.

Indranys

Savant
Unfortunately SR2 is an atrocious, atrocious console port, so that's why we have shitty controls and badly optimized shit in the PC version.
Just use a supermod called gentleman of the rows to ease the driving a little bit, it has a mod to improve the driving.
Though I always play it with a controller, so don't count my word too much if you use m+k.
I think the minigames are OK too, I only hate one or two of them.

Man if you like GTA San Andreas, there's a good chance that you'll like SR1&2. Though SR2 has inferior shooting and driving controls than GTA SA plus all the bad perks from a shitty console port.
If you like more down to earth stuff like GTA4, Mafia and the like, SR1&2 won't be your usual cup of tea IMO, let alone more juvenile over the top shit like SRTT and SR4.

Gord

Arcane
I play SRTT from time to time, but outside of the story missions, it's a rather hollow and empty game.
Other than driving around and doing some minigames, there's almost no reason for the world even being there.
The over-the-top style and satirical take of the game is nice and fun, it's just that the rest of the game got old fast for me.

Indranys

Savant
I play SRTT from time to time, but outside of the story missions, it's a rather hollow and empty game.
Other than driving around and doing some minigames, there's almost no reason for the world even being there.
The over-the-top style and satirical take of the game is nice and fun, it's just that the rest of the game got old fast for me.
That's why the fans rate SR2 as the best in the series.
The city is much much more alive than in SRTT&4.
The details are great, pedestrians not only chat with each another, they also do activities randomly.
Playing some social games, steal cars, listening music, jogs, etc.
The gang members patrol their hoods and talk to their comrades. The bikers hang out in fuel stations, tourists taking pictures across the city, college boys use their laptop at the university, cheer leaders practicing their moves, the bums enjoy their drugs, people are actually clubbing in the night clubs etc.
Each district truly feels different, from chinatown, barrio, redlight, marina, to the elite Saints Row district.
There are also a lot of secrets to find, like the secret island, sunken ship, etc.
Those little things make SR2 far from boring for me.

Just look at idolninja's SR4 review, he talks about this stuff a lot bro.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I started playing it and as expected it's as subtle as a jackhammer... in the good kind of a way. The moment at the beginning when you were riding a ICBM while Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing" was playing was absolutely awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom