Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

dryan

Arcane
My only problem with the list is DA:O being there, which had no redeeming qualities in my humble opinion. I think Deus Ex:HR and Mass Effect are more deserving of its spot.

It had solid tactical combat and a pretty well designed campaign.

It had a solid combat system wasted on endless waves of samey health-bloated enemies.
Thank you, I was about to reply exactly this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My only problem with the list is DA:O being there, which had no redeeming qualities in my humble opinion. I think Deus Ex:HR and Mass Effect are more deserving of its spot.

It had a solid combat system wasted on endless waves of samey health-bloated enemies.

In some levels yes, like the horrid Deep Roads, but most of the game is not that spammy. And even if it were it's not like most old school classics aren't filled with trash combat.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck anyone who, when you throw a gold bullion at him, complains about how it hurt.
Also fuck anyone who won't try the most expensive truffle on earth because he 'doesn't like mushrooms'.

dryan

Arcane

In some levels yes, like the horrid Deep Roads, but most of the game is not that spammy. And even if it were it's not like most old school classics aren't filled with trash combat.

That werewolf forest+ruins felt like a chore to me. Also the fade. Also the Dwarven city. Pretty much everything was painfully boring, except the origin sections and the stadium fights.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I've last played DA back in 2009, but I mostly remember the combat as boring and slow. I compared it to BG2 in my mind, and not only did trash encounters seem to take a lot more time, but enemy variety was much worse in general as well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That werewolf forest+ruins felt like a chore to me. Also the fade. Also the Dwarven city. Pretty much everything was painfully boring, except the origin sections and the stadium fights.

I'm not sure how one could argue DA:O has boring, bland combat throughout and then praise something like Might and Magic. I mean if you dislike all games with endless combat spam then okay, that makes sense, but obviously going by the top 50 list combat spam is not a turn-off to the Codex crowning a winner.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'm not sure how one could argue DA:O has boring, bland combat throughout and then praise something like Might and Magic. I mean if you dislike all games with endless combat spam then okay, that makes sense, but obviously going by the top 50 list combat spam is not a turn-off to the Codex crowning a winner.
Boring combat spam != all combat spam. DA:O trash mobs were just especially monotonous and repeating.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Never had any issue with it. The fade, deep roads, all that shit people bitch about I went through twice and didn't give a shit

Koschey

Arcane
Might and Magic combat is less about interesting individual encounters and more about resource management and attrition. Compare everything regenerating in DA:O. Only exception was wounds, but the kits required for treatment were hardly scarce.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The most annoying part of DA:O to me was that you can't run away from the random encounters. So you want to go back and forth between hubs instead of clearing them out one at a time? Fuck you player.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Might and Magic combat is less about interesting individual encounters and more about resource management and attrition. Compare everything regenerating in DA:O. Only exception was wounds, but the kits required for treatment were hardly scarce.
You were guaranteed to get them as drops if you were below a certain number I believe +M

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked the puzzle-like Fade and had no problem with endless enemies in the Deep Roads because...it's the Deep Roads. It's supposed to be full of 'spawn and critters.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I said in my review and I will say again, the Earl of Redcliff questline has great C&C and a impressive amount of solutions and outcomes that tops almost any RPG ever.

Drew

Savant
The deep roads made me feel like I was actually fighting my way through an army.

I did hate how the random encounters were handled, though.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I said in my review and I will say again, the Earl of Redcliff questline has great C&C and a impressive amount of solutions and outcomes that tops almost any RPG ever.

That's my favorite quest line in the game. Also liked the stealing/breaking in side quest line in Denerim. :hug:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Making a TR00 HARDCORE CRPGS ONLY list achieves nothing
Because the codex has to an obligation to take outsiders in consideration when compiling it's best of all time lists.
The issue here isn't people addressing their opinions truthfully, but rather the fact that people's true opinions are in conflict with the "hardcore oldschool PC gamer" mentality of many of the inhabitants of this forum. Either way it goes, the list should reflect values of the people who voted on it. In short, if you're going to act like a tough guy, you need to be one, otherwise you're a hypocritical faggot. It's largely an issue with the top 10 games like last time, as it clearly states that when it comes down to it, the Codex will take the story driven, more user-friendly and less challenging games of the silver age over the more obtuse and challenging combat focused games of the golden age. The silver age games are closer in design to modern RPGs, and display less of the qualities that "hardcore oldschool"/PC gamers like to complain about in modern games.
All your retarded stereotypes do is make Console-to-PC ports harder, since the publishers look and see a bunch of whinny kids saying that "A GAME PORTED TO PC IS NOT A TR00 CRPG!!!!1111"
And this is bad because...? You cant spend 200+ pages whining on the internet how horrible these modern console dumbed RPGs (FPSs/stealth games...) are?
If you wanna play those games, buy the latest consoles.
That wouldnt be because there were no TB RPG games at all, since Fallouts, Now wouldnt it?
I guess there needs to be another vote since numbers 10, 13 and 21 just suddenly disappeared from the list. Unless you count tactics into that, which means that only ToEE remains.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Welcome to the Codex, Rock. You'll find half the population are indeed made up of disgruntled, closeted biodrones who would cream themselves to play a fixed pre-generated Protagonist in order to allow the writers to tell a more Emotionally Engaging story.

But there are a fair number of monocled gentlemen like me and others who carry the torch for the real trinity of cRPGs; the Gold Box Games, Wizardry and Might & Magic.

It kills me that there are people who take the supposed discrepancy seriously enough to make a post like this :lol:

Just oozes righteous butthurt, lol.

Because the codex has to an obligation to take outsiders in consideration when compiling it's best of all time lists.

Do we? :M

The issue here isn't people addressing their opinions truthfully, but rather the fact that people's true opinions are in conflict with the "hardcore oldschool PC gamer" mentality of many of the inhabitants of this forum.

Maybe those guys are in the minority, then? :M

Either way it goes, the list should reflect values of the people who voted on it. In short, if you're going to act like a tough guy, you need to be one, otherwise you're a hypocritical faggot. It's largely an issue with the top 10 games like last time, as it clearly states that when it comes down to it, the Codex will take the story driven, more user-friendly and less challenging games of the silver age over the more obtuse and challenging combat focused games of the golden age. The silver age games are closer in design to modern RPGs, and display less of the qualities that "hardcore oldschool"/PC gamers like to complain about in modern games.

Closer, but yet so far. By the way, what sort of person would list user-friendliness as a con? :M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
suejak is a pretty interesting guy - a self-proclaimed adventure game aficionado who's also an intellectually lazy dudebro type. You'd think those two things don't go together.
Makes me both curious and terrified about what Infitron has in his micoselva.txt file.

Anyway, Mass Effect (because it only has one review so far). If it can't be fit in any more, no problem.

The first Mass Effect is probably the least popular game of the trilogy. Perhaps coincidentally, it also has the most RPG systems of all three, including an extensive, if cumbersome to use, item system and character progression that goes beyond mere customization. The game manages to overcome its many flaws, like copy-pasted locations, long loading times, disappointing planetary exploration or the fact that some alien races are exclusively male while other are exclusively female (which was never really fixed in the series), and keep the player engaged on many levels.
Mass Effect introduces us to an interesting world, or rather galaxy, populated by interesting characters, some of which join the now-iconic Commander Shepard in his or her fight against rogue S.P.E.C.T.R.E. Saren, creating one of the best-known ensemble cast in recent memory and starting Bioware's most popular franchise so far.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe Is there any point to submitting more reviews? Can they still be edited in, or are we beyond the point of no return?
While I personally would like them, we already did all the coding and the Staff is now checking all the writing, so I guess that throwing new content over them now might be a bother...what you say Crooked Bee ?

The Codex has as much obligations to outsiders as it has to annoying newfags. Perhaps more to outsiders, since they haven't publicly proven themselves as retards.

If you wanna play those games, buy the latest consoles.
Then if you want to have a tr00 hardcore forum with a extremely cohesive list, make your own.

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The issue here isn't people addressing their opinions truthfully, but rather the fact that people's true opinions are in conflict with the "hardcore oldschool PC gamer" mentality of many of the inhabitants of this forum. Either way it goes, the list should reflect values of the people who voted on it.
Outsiders were not taken into consideration in the creation of this list. Like it or not it is a representative sample of the people who are on the codex. The survey sampling method was not completely perfect as it was not anonymous, but if anything that stilted it towards being more in favor of classic stuff. 'Many of the inhabitants' does not mean 'all of the inhabitants', and though there's things on the list that I would personally change, you can't really get mad about it catering to outside interests. That's just burying your head in the sand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom