Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roma Surrectum mod for Rome Total War

Panthera

Scholar
Serious_Business said:
Fuck looking nice. Why would I give a shit? Is this any better than EB? Anyone can answer? I mean, for the historically anal, EB is still better choice right? I don't give a shit about fun, I want history. I fired this up and Scipio Africanus is 52 years old by the time of the 2nd punic war. Conclusion :
:rage:

I find the faction roster for the successors and some of the other eastern factions to be a lot more accurate.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dicksmoker said:
What about for the "more options and more complexity" anal?

It's less slow than EB (building times, 0-turn-recruitment, less strong "rebels"), the amount of buildings is probably slightly less, but generally I'd say it's about the same. Have only played Romans yet and they do get the Marian reforms, named legions that can only be recruited in certain provinces, and there's political buildings like in EB, but less of them.

EB has more if you want to have a large selection of "political" buildings and decisions in your provinces, while RS2 is mostly focused on large and interesting unit rosters and battles.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I already have Rome installed with EB modded into it. You've hinted at this: is there a way to get RS working without having to uninstall everything?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or just copy everything except for the mod folders into a new folder somewhere, then install RS2 over it. Since you probably have only EB installed as a mod, copy everything except for the EB folder.

oscar

Arcane
Ah I guess RS wins then. I want great battles not Civilization.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I remove what I said, it seems to do fine in terms of historical flavour. EB is a bit more wanky with the voice acting and such, but there are no attack dogs or invisible assassins in RS either. And yeah, Rome TW was always a kind of arcadish game, so it's useless to expect Victoria out of it.

Codexlurker

Savant
Serious_Business said:
Fuck looking nice. Why would I give a shit? Is this any better than EB? Anyone can answer? I mean, for the historically anal, EB is still better choice right? I don't give a shit about fun, I want history. I fired this up and Scipio Africanus is 52 years old by the time of the 2nd punic war. Conclusion :
:rage:
That was Scipio Africanus' father. Scipio Africanus is in Sicily at the beginning of the campaign and he is around 17 in the campaign afaik. Other then that, RSII is one of the more accurate mods in portraying Roman helmet, shield, and armor types but it still kinda lacks the depth EB has.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
True. They do have the same name, so I can be spared the shame of being wrong on the internet.

What I like with this mod is that the campaign is modified for each faction. I actually managed to loose two battles and a city as Rome agaisnt Hannibal (which eventually tossed himself into my pikes and died, but hey that's something). The rebel events were also very welcome. I'm hoping the difficulty will continue to make the game interesting as it goes on, although I kind of doubt it. With EB it was like this - the first few turns were fairly straining as you didn't have enough ressources to pull off good armies, but then it became just a giant moping up action. You'd just go off siege after siege with minimal defenses, it was boring as hell. Sieges in general are boring unless you face huge walls and forces, which never happened. And of course the AI didn't field any armies at all. I guess I must have been using the default Rome.exe though, maybe with expansions it would have been better. But a strategy game in which you're sure to win has no point.

To be fair though, I guess you can give yourself some additional challenges : try not to blitzkriegtoo much, don't use pause on the battle map, etc (I have zero reflexes so that would make it a lot harder for me). But then it's always annoying to hamper yourself for the sake of the AI, so I don't know

Codexlurker

Savant
If you don't bumrush the AI, you will end up with every faction declaring war on you. In my current campaign, all the wars I've been in have been initiated by the computer. I just wish the AI was at least on the MTW level, but one can dream. Here's how my campaign looks now( I think I'm playing on H/VH).
107875332-4.jpg

The Gallaeci just declared war on me because I bordered them( I was allied with them and at war with the Arverni) and now I'm kinda trying to take the rest of Gaul while protecting my borders. I have to be on the aggressive to protect myself

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
:smug:
I am playing as the Gallaeci right now.

And I thought I was doing well against the Romans (had a bit of a dance with them, of which I came out on top) before I inched a bit into the fog of war only to see that, lo and behold, they were sending countless full stacks of units to shutter my asshole once and for all. It's curious, at the speed I'm creating my armies, my towns can barely keep up in population.

Plus, Carthage is completely useless as an ally.

Codexlurker

Savant
Serious_Business said:
P. cool man. That's a lot of angry spaniards there. I'll be playing this in the holydays it looks like

Yea, I destroyed half of those stacks by the time of my next save. I won't be able to finish up the campaign due to my computer fucking up though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom