Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roma Surrectum mod for Rome Total War

Tycn

Savant
Is EB still the better choice? I just picked up RTW and started playing with Roma Surrectum II but the fact that they've nerfed the attack power of legions kind of ruins it for me.

Also, is there any merit to a vanilla playthrough, and should I get the expansions?

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
I'm having a shitload of fun with Barbarian Invasion 2 at the moment. I wouldn't call the AI brilliant, but it definitely manages a leg up on even EB from the 100 turns that I've played so far.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently playing RS2 a lot. I put lots of cash into developing Akragas so I can get the legions as soon as possible. It does take a while until you can actually recruit them outside of Italy, but it's worth it. Finally I'm managing to push back those damn Macedons. Arverni declared war on me out of the blue, as if those Gallaeci weren't enough trouble (I'm completely on the defensive against them - have a city with huge walls there, and the Gallaeci are coming with at least one full stack every two turns), but I already started going on the offensive against them. Carthage has been thrown out of Africa, they only have their Spanish provinces left. The Greek Cities have only Athens left in Western Europe, the rest of their lands is at the Black Sea.

Sparta, the Scythians and the Belgae are my allies. After vanquishing my current foes (which will still take some time) I'll probably go after the Ptolemaics.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Seeing how I burned out of playing standard R:TW years ago I installed it again and thought of trying some of the fantasy mods they've done for it. Has anyone tried them, that can give any recommendation? The ones that caught my attention were the Warhammer and Fourth Age ones I saw listed at the twcenter.net forums.

oscar

Arcane
The whole "legions are nerfed heaps when your playing Romans" sounds pretty lame. I understand it's to ensure a challenge against the AI but any number of solutions (make legions more expensive, make it easier for your foes to recruit, make it you face lots of revolts) would be better then that.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
oscar said:
The whole "legions are nerfed heaps when your playing Romans" sounds pretty lame. I understand it's to ensure a challenge against the AI but any number of solutions (make legions more expensive, make it easier for your foes to recruit, make it you face lots of revolts) would be better then that.

Why? Its a solution like any other. The fact is that IRL legions were both cheaper, more avaiable and better trained/disciplined than their enemies, translating this into a game is rather hard. Arbitrary nerfs to power are as good as arbitrary nerfs to cost or training time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
SerratedBiz said:
Seeing how I burned out of playing standard R:TW years ago I installed it again and thought of trying some of the fantasy mods they've done for it. Has anyone tried them, that can give any recommendation? The ones that caught my attention were the Warhammer and Fourth Age ones I saw listed at the twcenter.net forums.

Fourth Age is good, haven't played Warhammer.

The Third Age mod for Medieval 2 is better, though. Also Medieval 2 has Call of Warhammer, which is fucking awesome.

Both Med2 mods require the Kingdoms expansion, though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
oscar said:

Eh, the legions are actually p. good units, especially those with segmentata armour. Yes, they're probably not the best units in the whole game (fighting Macedonian elite phalangites is a challenge even with top notch legions), but then again the Romans weren't so successful because of unstoppable ĂĽber-skill murder tanks, but because they had high discipline (and the legions do have high morale, I've seldomly had them flee even when highly outnumbered) and because the Romans used the better military tactics.
Which is kinda like how it works in the game, too. Throw your legions frontally against the enemy and you might lose. Use flanking tactics, use auxiliaries smartly etc, and you will win.

Legions *did* occasionally lose against their enemies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... 8279_BC%29

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JarlFrank said:
oscar said:

Eh, the legions are actually p. good units, especially those with segmentata armour. Yes, they're probably not the best units in the whole game (fighting Macedonian elite phalangites is a challenge even with top notch legions), but then again the Romans weren't so successful because of unstoppable ĂĽber-skill murder tanks, but because they had high discipline (and the legions do have high morale, I've seldomly had them flee even when highly outnumbered) and because the Romans used the better military tactics.
Which is kinda like how it works in the game, too. Throw your legions frontally against the enemy and you might lose. Use flanking tactics, use auxiliaries smartly etc, and you will win.

Legions *did* occasionally lose against their enemies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... 8279_BC%29

They had tactics, discipline and mainly NUMBERS. When Hannibal invaded Italy he raped legion after legion but Rome still fielded more and more. At their best point in the times of Republic Rome was able to field 1 MILLION people. Its something that no other nation before the modern age could do (maybe China if it were united at the time).

oscar

Arcane
The biggest threat to Rome was always itself (well before the barbarian migrations). If they could model your generals getting a little too ambitious and marching on Rome to lead a coup and the numerous civil wars then all would be well.

Tycn

Savant
Tried EB. Fucking love the new voice acting and the unpronouncable unit names. Also I prefer the slower recruitment compared to 0-turn that RS is supposed to be played with. Think I'll be sticking with this one.

oscar

Arcane
So any more conclusions on the EB vs RS debate? The fact EB makes good computers chug concerns me. And I would not call my laptop good.

Tycn

Savant
Are you using the Rome executable? I've heard that the Alexander one offers better performance, might be worth a try if you don't mind the AI retraining liberally.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The AI retraining units after they have sustained losses is one of the best features of the Alexander.exe. With that one you really don't want those Germanic stacks to retreat safely after fighting them turn after turn. ;)

MonkeyLancer

Educated
oscar said:
The fact EB makes good computers chug concerns me. And I would not call my laptop good.

When EB 2 comes out, I wonder if the scripting will cause similar chuggery

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm playing VI2 with the Norwegians. And damn, fighting those Irish is fucking annoying with a purely infantry-based army. Damn skirmishing cavalry. :x

aintnothang

Novice
RomeTW-BI2010-12-0422-39-51-00.jpg

76031_1222533380912_1756312113_418749_856563_n.jpg

73860_1220632013379_1756312113_416224_4637695_n.jpg

RSII looks too nice to use anything else. If the nerfed legions are a problem take the export_descr_units.txt from one of the other campaigns and copy the Roman stats over into the Roman campaign, or just change their stats yourself.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fuck looking nice. Why would I give a shit? Is this any better than EB? Anyone can answer? I mean, for the historically anal, EB is still better choice right? I don't give a shit about fun, I want history. I fired this up and Scipio Africanus is 52 years old by the time of the 2nd punic war. Conclusion :
:rage:

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Trash said:
Try playing it as the southern Anglo-Saxons. Hardest starting game ever in a RTW game.
JarlFrank said:
I'm playing VI2 with the Norwegians. And damn, fighting those Irish is fucking annoying with a purely infantry-based army. Damn skirmishing cavalry. :x
Seriously, VI2 is the hardest flavor of Total War I've tasted.
Serious_Business said:
I mean, for the historically anal, EB is still better choice right?
Yes.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What about for the "more options and more complexity" anal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom