Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roma Surrectum mod for Rome Total War

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
This is what I'm talking about. The fog in that valley in the background just looks plain weird. It kind of put me off MTW2 since, aside from the pretty unit models, the game had really nothing else to offer. This mod for RTW looks really good, though.
medieval2tw020.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Funny, when I was on holiday the view over the mountains looked exactly like that in the morning.

They did nerf the engine though. No more swimming soldiers, no more troops falling off walls, no more erupting vulcano's, fleets or wonder's in the background. Really, it's amazing how much more limited MTW2 is in scope when compared to RTW and its expansions.

Joghurt

Augur
poocolator said:
Am I the only one who thinks they seriously nerfed the battle map terrain/view distance in MTW2 from RTW? In RTW, you could actually see distant cities. And I mean distant. In MTW2, they just don't bother rendering any terrain that isn't on the battle map. Tough luck if you think it would be cool to see your city off in the distance, or that mountain range behind it.

Yes they did. I remember fighting a battle against Greeks on their on land on some high mountain in vanilla RTW just after it came out and I was really amazed by this. Not only I could see cities on battle map, but I could also see my fleet. I saw shitloads of ships and remembered that those are my ships. They were pretty far away from the place where the battle took place. The battle itself was on some high mountain nowhere near the coast. In 2004 I was amazed by the attention to detail of that stuff.

M2TW didn't have any of this beauty.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
oscar said:
From the sounds of it:

RS

-Huge, epic battles
-Moderately realistic

EB

-Realistic
-Heavy micromanagement

So I guess Awesome Battles vs Awesome 4X
Well, it's safer to say that both mods ALLOW huge battles, but Roma Surrectum just lets you get there quicker. Although they didn't say anything about unit upkeep costs. I know these are high in EB. Also concerning EB I'd say that they really went to a lot of effort to make each faction and region seem unique, which is a major plus in my book. The attention to detail is simply staggering.

oscar

Arcane
Alright, I'll take your word for it. Though I have a nagging feeling that RS will be the more "fun" mod. Also, which is easier on the computer?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Well EB sure isn't.

But from the looks of it RS makes both the campaign map and battle graphics look like Medieval 2. So draw your own conclusions from that.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Joghurt said:
I'm installing RTW right now and damn. The theme song that is from the main menu is playing while it is installing. Damn that thing is fucking epic. One of the best themes songs ever in the last decade.

Indeed. My favourite theme song.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dicksmoker said:
Well EB sure isn't.

But from the looks of it RS makes both the campaign map and battle graphics look like Medieval 2. So draw your own conclusions from that.

Also, the huge battles are really taxing on your hardware, especially the processor, with 6000 units on screen.

Panthera

Scholar
Holy fucking shit, RSII is amazing. This is such a huge change from RSI. I'd put it above EB now.

oscar

Arcane
Panthera said:
Holy fucking shit, RSII is amazing. This is such a huge change from RSI. I'd put it above EB now.

Do tell.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Holy shit. RSII indeed does look beautifull. Almost as good as MTWII. Amazing. Now I will have to try it out.

PS The most fun mod I played so far was Viking Invasion II for RTW while playing as the Saxons. First few games I got my butt kicked so hard that I thought it was impossible to beat those damn norsemen. Highly recommended.

EDIT: Played it for awhile. RSII is defenitely the smoothest and best looking RTW mod yet. I also like how you can choose to play through the RTW, BI and even ALX expansion exe files. Mod seems as thought out as EB as far as I can see. Lots of buildings, traits, government styles and the like included and the factions feel nice and diversified. Mod also feels very polished and complete. A new mod coming out in 2010 for this game is quite amazing in itself but a mod coming out which seems to have taken everything learned of the game and engine in the years is just awesome. Recommended for any TW fan.

Inziladun

Magister
Is there any high res/widescreen mods for RTW? Last time I tried playing,I couldn't get over the fact everything looked like shit from being stretched out.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Trash said:
EDIT: Played it for awhile. RSII is defenitely the smoothest and best looking RTW mod yet. I also like how you can choose to play through the RTW, BI and even ALX expansion exe files. Mod seems as thought out as EB as far as I can see. Lots of buildings, traits, government styles and the like included and the factions feel nice and diversified. Mod also feels very polished and complete. A new mod coming out in 2010 for this game is quite amazing in itself but a mod coming out which seems to have taken everything learned of the game and engine in the years is just awesome. Recommended for any TW fan.
A comparison to EB is now inevitable. Don't let us down.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Inziladun said:
Is there any high res/widescreen mods for RTW? Last time I tried playing,I couldn't get over the fact everything looked like shit from being stretched out.

I though you could use wide-screen resolutions form the config menu with RTW. I suppose I could be wrong though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dicksmoker said:
Trash said:
A comparison to EB is now inevitable. Don't let us down.

EB feels slightly more expansive in its buildings and governments. RSII also seems a bit more focused on Rome as a power. RSII presentation, graphics and even polish is way above what EB offers. The amount of units, buildings and traits are staggering. The custom battlefield graphics are amazing as well. They somehow incorporated quite a bit of MTWII in the old Rome engine and came up with custom settlements as well. The mod starts through a launcher which lets you set all sorts of options, choose a faction and even lets you pick what exe to start the game with. Easy and something which hardly any mod has done so far. Like I said, this mod shows that it is build on all the knowledge which came from all the years people have been modding RTW.

EB is still a giant but it can't quite stand up to this mod. Try it.

PS Only thing I dislike is the timeframe. Once again the rise of Rome. Personally I love to play during the fall with all the religious unrest and dislocated hordes moving around. That's just me though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oldmanpaco said:
Inziladun said:

I though you could use wide-screen resolutions form the config menu with RTW. I suppose I could be wrong though.

I have a widescreen and, yes, every TW game since Rome has the option to go widescreen.

The UI in both Rome and Medieval2 will look like shit though because it's stretched, so maybe that's Inziladun's problem.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
anus_pounder said:
Any mods for barbarian invasion? I would like to play as the Western Roman Empire.

Invasio Barborum is a well known one. It does feel rather unpolished though. It feels more like they added to BI rather than modding it. For example by copying the BI units and their little text in addition to providing new units. Which can lead to one unit having a text saying the Germanic tribes had no cavelery to speak off and another saying the exact opposite. Also missing texts and some dodgy bugs. It is also once again focusing way too much on Rome for me, with most of the work done on that faction.

Still, it's a fun mod and kicking Roman ass as a barbarian never gets old.

There are plenty of others but none which I have tried. Any recommendations?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yup, that one. It's fun but is hardly polished. They don't keep calling it a beta for nothing. Still fun though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom