Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Voice-acting sounds decent, and at least the animations are silky-smooth.

But a well animated turd is still a turd.

Boleskine

Arcane
The animation looks fine on a 5.8" phone screen. On a 24" PC monitor... not so much.

They clearly want this game to do well on Switch, iOS, and Android Play Store, and the choice for the visual design is a direct result of that approach.

Ron knows most of the longtime MI fans and seasoned point-and-click vets will buy the game. By his and Dave's own admission they are courting the casuals. Based on wider reactions from social media they know what that audience likes - something that seems "new" or "stylish" but is just derivative of modern flat design.

negator2vc

Scholar
Ron don't care about longtime MI fans otherwise he would never have selected this type of art style.
Beside how many longtime MI fans want yet another battle between Guybrush and Lechuck?
Most MI fans try to forget every MI past the 3rd!

As for courting the casuals he is doing it with a sequel of a previous game (the title itself contains 'Return to')
that most casuals never played or even know?

As for seasoned PnC vets they have a surprising large pool of good looking adventure games to choose from. Why choose a crap looking one?

Boleskine

Arcane
Casuals know Monkey Island. The prefix 'Return to' will not dissuade them. If the game journos say, "Consoom!" the casuals will oblige. Ron and Dave are not so dumb that they would make playing previous games absolutely essential to the story of ReMI. The game will cover previous events in the first act and ease newcomers into the story and setting.

Ron is counting on most MI fans and seasoned point-and-click gamers to buy the game regardless of whether they like the art style or not. His focus is to find new fans, especially on mobile and console platforms. Most casuals and modern consoomers like the art style, and the fabricated controversy about "toxicity" will only motivate more bugmen and soy gamers to buy the game in the name of fighting Nazis and Goobergate.

As for seasoned PnC vets they have a surprising large pool of good looking adventure games to choose from. Why choose a crap looking one?

Because it's Monkey Island and they've been waiting 30 years for Ron to make another game in the series.

Last edited:

negator2vc

Scholar
Casuals know Monkey Island. The prefix 'Return to' will not dissuade them. If the game journos say, "Consoom!" the casuals will oblige. Ron and Dave are not so dumb that they would make playing previous games absolutely essential to the story of ReMI. The game will cover previous events in the first act and ease newcomers into the story and setting.
Even if casuals know Monkey Island they know it for an old adventure series with difficult puzzles & moon logic (for ex. MI2).
Ron is counting on most MI fans and seasoned point-and-click gamers to buy the game regardless of whether they like the art style or not. His focus is to find new fans, especially on mobile and console platforms. Most casuals and modern consoomers like the art style, and the fabricated controversy about "toxicity" will only motivate more bugmen and soy gamers to buy the game in the name of fighting Nazis and Goobergate.
The problem is that the crap art isn't the only thing that most MI fans & seasoned PnC gamers are talking about. Ron's trolling attitude, his whinnying, not to mention the articles by the usual crap online magazines defending his actions have cause equal damage. In every forum I frequent half of more of the people posting in threads about RtMI are posting complains not praise.

As for the bugmen and soy gamers they may defend online the creator but as shown in other media (like hollywood & streaming) they don't like to follow their words with actions (like buying the game in this case - at best they may buy it at a 90% sale).

As for seasoned PnC gamers they were waiting for an actual adventure game not a game for modern console audience (Ron himself said this).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because it's Monkey Island and they've been waiting 30 years for Ron to make another game in the series.
That was my attitude when it was announced, because Ron made something decent with Thimbleweed Park.

But now that we know what the new Monkey Island will look like... no thanks.

I have 5000 games on my Steam wishlist, yet I deliberately did not add RMI to it. My interest in this game has been thoroughly squashed by its disgustingly ugly graphics and Ron's shitty attitude.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I have 5000 games on my Steam wishlist, yet I deliberately did not add RMI to it. My interest in this game has been thoroughly squashed by its disgustingly ugly graphics and Ron's shitty attitude.
Yes, I played all the monkey islands when they went out.
I would have bought this day one despite the art.
But Ron being provocative then whining and trying to turn this into a culture war will make me sit on it until it's inexpensive.
I waited 30 years, I can wait 32 years and save money, and not encourage this bullshit.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

I was on vacation when I saw this tweet. Didn't know that this dickface Armato is such a huge butthurt.

Of all the hundreds of comments on Youtube it seems that only my comment was the one to trigger him.

I made a polite comment about art and education systems and instead of answering me directly, he went on his twitter safe space to cry like the pathetic pussy he is.

Also this bastard is a fucking liar, I never called him an "egghead".

Anyway, I'm not gonna waste my energy with pussies but because I know that there are many hidden fanboys here who spy on codex, you can tell him to go fuck himself with the rest of the soy-infused cowards, and that his dumb down abomination isn't even worth of pirating.

negator2vc

Scholar

I was on vacation when I saw this tweet. Didn't know that this dickface Armato is such a huge butthurt.

Of all the hundreds of comments on Youtube it seems that only my comment was the one to trigger him.

I made a polite comment about art and education systems and instead of answering me directly, he went on his twitter safe space to cry like the pathetic pussy he is.

Also this bastard is a fucking liar, I never called him an "egghead".

Anyway, I'm not gonna waste my energy with pussies but because I know that there are many hidden fanboys here who spy on codex, you can tell him to go fuck himself with the rest of the soy-infused cowards, and that his dumb down abomination isn't even worth of pirating.

Any opinion that Armato have (which maybe be even be right - after all we need the whole picture in order to draw conclusions)
is destroyed by that upscale YOU in his post.
Soooo condescending. Yikes!!

I waited 30 years, I can wait 32 years and save money, and not encourage this bullshit.
I am going to buy the game on day one. It is a Monkey Island game and I am supposed to be the target audience, so of course I will.

I just have the feeling that I will be forced to leave a negative rating about my experience on Steam and then get a refund a week later after sleeping over it. :smug:

Maybe RTMI will actually turn out to be a great game and I will keep it in my library, but I somehow doubt that.

Last edited:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Wait, who is the actual target audience supposed to be now?

I'd say if any old games translate extremely well to mobile devices, it'd be adventure games, where you can point and tap instead of click and there is normally no time pressure or any kind of dexterity required. I played Fran Bow on phone and.. That worked..
However I do question if the audience for that is really there. I think younger players might gravitate more towards visual novels which are similar.
Those look better generally than this new Monkey Island too, with stylized but detailed characters with very expressive faces, and mostly static but often gorgeous background art.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
What are they trying to showcase with this tweet ?
The tone, the art, the production value, nothing is really interesting.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Wow, this game looks like ass.

Not that I would touch another Monkey Island with a stick after the Tales outing.

Incidentally, this is the only game I ever felt came close to the tone of the originals:

lol they're just copypasting the old Monkey Island 2 spitting contest puzzle except now it's about burping

how creative

The spitting puzzle is one of the best puzzles in adventure game history. It has so many cool elements.

This blowfish burping contest probably won't be a puzzle at all. Probably just a gag - Guybrush is blowing the blowfish in the ass, instead of the mouth.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't even care much about all the drama and what Rob or the other people from his team say/don't say/might have said/think/don't think/we think they might think, bla bla bla bla bla...

It's just that when I look at these screenshots and videos, the scenes are visually hard to read. That's my #1 complaint, not even the blocky style, which I don't like, but that's really a minor issue, relatively speaking. I just don't see it easily what is what when looking at the graphics, and that's pretty important in a *graphic* adventure game to be able to parse the visuals easily (yes, there's always pixel hunting, but just *looking* at the art shouldn't be a frustrating experience on every single screen).

I just find the art distracting, I'm really struggling to parse the visuals.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I realize the WTF is supposed to be the blah, blah, blah, but I hate the camera shaking effect they have going on there. It feels like they couldn't have the ship actually shaking so they tried to have the next best thing. Only, that looks like the cameraman is having a seizure or something and its distracting, because cameras aren't supposed to work like that.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
christ, gilbert just doesn't fucking care does he? I mean it was obvious he couldn't give a puffy pig's pussy as soon as the first screenshots were revealed, but this is some next level utter fucking indifference. imagine how unbelievably shit the alternate version of the scene must have been if the garbage he just showed was the better option. fuck me dead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom