Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I don't even care much about all the drama and what Rob or the other people from his team say/don't say/might have said/think/don't think/we think they might think, bla bla bla bla bla...
Translation: "Hey look, I'm the cool guy here that don't care about dramas and of what they say, I'm over it, I'm a neutral good paladin and a secretly pathetic fanboy."

You're so naive and noob to the point you don't understand shit. EVERYTHING matters Cringewind, from the first letter to the last comma. These are the serious things that are indicators of what is to come in terms of story, humor and puzzles.

After 40 pages of comments you decided that all of this shit doesn't matter, everything is a joke to you, and in the end you will buy the game day 1 like the little fag you are. What's the point of coming here and comment constantly when your "only" problem is the "parse" of visuals?
If you don't have anything useful to add beyond your retarded "parse" complaint, you can now move on. Your complaint is not even the blocky style, you have already accepted it like a good retard and you keep spamming about "distraction" and how hard is for you to "read" it.
Just stop with the fucking loop, it's tiresome and useless.
There is nothing distracting here, the art is so simplistic that you can see everything easily. Go to an eye doctor you blind naive sheep.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Translation: "Hey look, I'm the cool guy here that don't care about dramas and of what they say, I'm over it, I'm a neutral good paladin and a secretly pathetic fanboy."
Thank you for your contribution, that's a pretty accurate summary, minus perhaps the last bit.

After 40 pages of comments you decided that all of this shit doesn't matter, everything is a joke to you
Yes, isn't life just a big joke, brother?

What's the point of coming here and comment constantly when your "only" problem is the "parse" of visuals?
And the point of your post is?... What's the point of your rambling if you've already decided the game is shit? Have nothing better to do? I guess you like to get angry, can't see another explanation.

Just stop with the fucking loop, it's tiresome and useless.
Whereas your rambling is useful, got it.

Sorry to hear that you're getting so salty about other people *not* getting angry about stuff like, uh, videogames? Wishing you a long and productive life, best regards.

Go to an eye doctor you blind naive sheep.
Thanks for the tip, sharp-sighted wise man of exceptional taste (feel to describe how you see yourself, I'm all ears).

Last edited:

Drop Duck

Learned
It's just that when I look at these screenshots and videos, the scenes are visually hard to read. That's my #1 complaint, not even the blocky style, which I don't like, but that's really a minor issue, relatively speaking. I just don't see it easily what is what when looking at the graphics, and that's pretty important in a *graphic* adventure game to be able to parse the visuals easily
If only there was an universally appealing visual style that was not just crisp and clear but visually designed to be easy to read that Monkey Island could have used.

TGuG89s.jpg

Ravielsk

Magister

This just legit looks like a cheap parody of Monkey Island. The characters I could... justify by budget restrains but the backgrounds are just trash. Flat colors, sharp angles on everything, non-existent outlines... it just screams last minute student project. I always knew it would probably not measure up to the remakes but FFS its only barely better than the EGA graphics.

Gilbert has to be fucking high if he thinks this is somehow fine.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Thanks for the tip, sharp-sighted wise man of exceptional taste (feel to describe how you see yourself, I'm all ears).

I will describe myself to you since you asked for it so politely. I'm a chaotic neutral bard and I have a song to sing to you, "Go fuck yourself with a fish dildo cause your ass is as big as a hippo".

Thank you for your contribution, that's a pretty accurate summary, minus perhaps the last bit.

LOL, this wasn't meant as a compliment, I wrote it to show to others how pretentious and useless your opinion is. Your number #1 problem is the blocky art style, and not a serious one (wtf?!) but you don't give a fuck about dumb puzzles, cringe humor or the possibility of wokeness. For you everything is all about "muh art visibility", pathetic. Obviously you have comprehension issues cause people spit on you and you think it's holy rain send by the God.

And the point of your post is?... What's the point of your rambling if you've already decided the game is shit? Have nothing better to do? I guess you like to get angry, can't see another explanation.

The point of my post is that your obsessed visibility autism is getting distracting to my eyes, simple as that.

Whereas your rambling is useful, got it.

I don't give a fuck if my rambling is useful, anything of value that has to be said has already been said. If there is something that is worthy of comment I will be here, for now it's wasted energy. Even codexian trolling adds value to this abomination of a game, a value that is not worthy of. Also I have an advice to give you, I saw Ron mention somewhere that if someone writes 250 times about an issue he is inclined to fix the problem. So keep spamming about "muh art visibility" and maybe he will consider to release a visibility patch fix just for your autism.

PS- If any mod reading this comment section please add a pretentious button, you can't have a prestigious button without a pretentious one. Thanks.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This just legit looks like a cheap parody of Monkey Island. The characters I could... justify by budget restrains but the backgrounds are just trash. Flat colors, sharp angles on everything, non-existent outlines... it just screams last minute student project. I always knew it would probably not measure up to the remakes but FFS its only barely better than the EGA graphics.

You mean barely worse.

Even the four color EGA is better than this.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My biggest gripe with the style are the noses. They are so distracting.
The environments are a bit too exaggerated perhaps but I don't mind them as much.

What matters the most are the jokes and puzzles, and I haven't seen any of that yet.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

You mean barely worse.

Even the four color EGA CGA is better than this.
EGA is 16 colours.

lightbane

Arcane
Still waiting for these videos showing off puzzles and the interface, Gilbert.

The writing is bad in a cringe way so far but taken seriously by the big man himself, which is to be expected in today's clown age. So far though nothing of the "proper" gameplay though.

Ravielsk

Magister

The writing is bad in a cringe way so far but taken seriously by the big man himself, which is to be expected in today's clown age. So far though nothing of the "proper" gameplay though.

the-simpsons-really-makes-you-think.gif

Unwanted

Don Salieri

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
My biggest gripe with the style are the noses. They are so distracting.
Oy vey. You better not bring that up if you don't want to end up like The Wall.
I just find the art distracting, I'm really struggling to parse the visuals.
Whatever kike, go complain about your poor vision on Resetera where they might give a shit and call Nigger Island ableist or something. You might be so inbred you're half blind but the rest of us just don't like the diseased degenerate art. Looks like some hooknose with syphilis came up with it.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Why should I stop posting jfrisby? I just answered to Cringewind's comments, don't tell me that I need a permission from a frisbee before I post anything.
Also it's interesting that your reactions are most of the time "rolls eyes" or "stop posting". Are you a good buddy of Ron, why the butthurt?

Obviously you're also on my list of naive pathetic fanbois but I can't be mean with you cause at least you have some usefulness, people can have fun by throwing your ass on the beach.

sdffff.jpg

negator2vc

Scholar
That's the weirdest thing.
The game is supposed to be released this year and they are still posting only very short crappy "cutscene like" videos.
The only video that actually contained some form of gameplay was that courthouse video with the weird dialogue between guybrush and the judge.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
There's no interface. You click (tap?) on something and the one contextual thing that's possible will happen. Scenery : Look At. Character : Talk to (or Give, if the necessary object is in your possession). Puzzle object: Look At, or Use, if it either requires nothing to operate, or if you have the correct item. It's automatically selected if you do. Items that can combine, do so automatically once you collected them all. There's no inventory screen since by this method you don't need one.
Since this also trivializes the puzzles, there isn't much to show for that.

Maybe I'm cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if this estimate came at least close.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Lyrics time

"PostGilbert Manifesto"

Give up your old game, all the decaying mechanics,
This vessel of misery
Restructure your ego and filter the lines of your code
This obsolete frame starts to disintegrate now, conform to the current trend.
Choose the latest tools for improved content
You want it, you need, don’t wait.

Let’s disgorge the poison of retrogression
And reconstruct your pixel remains

(Chorus)
Embrace the product we’ve designed
Become a flawless adventure and behold your brain quite amplified.
Embrace the game we’ve designed
Become a flawless adventure, a modern delight to free your mind.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
EGA is 16 colours.
Actually EGA is 64 colours, but in 320x200 you can only use the fixed 16 colour CGA palette which is a subset of the full 64 colour EGA palette (to be more exact, that's true for all 200-line modes, so 640x200 as well). This was a design decision to ensure bi-directional compatibility between EGA/CGA cards and EGA/CGA monitors accepting digital TTL level signals. The supposed benefit was that people could keep using their existing CGA TTL monitors with EGA cards... which is kinda pointless, so the whole compatibility thing was a bit misguided (but it's IBM; they always liked to play it safe and not upset business customers).

You can pick any 16 colours of the 64 colour palette in the hi-res 640x350 EGA mode (mode 10h), and some games use that to very good effect (e.g. all pre-(S)VGA Legend entertainment adventure games, so Spellcasting 101/201/301, Timequest, Gateway, then there is SimCity and a few others).

TL;DR: when people talk about "EGA colours", it's actually "CGA colours" — it's just that all 16 CGA colours could be displayed on the same screen in 200-line EGA modes.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, you could say "default EGA 16-color palette" which is accurate. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Graphics_Adapter#Color_palette
The EGA palette allows all 16 CGA colors to be used simultaneously, and it allows substitution of each of these colors with any one from a total of 64 colors (two bits each for red, green and blue).

[...]

Standard EGA monitors do not support use of the extended color palette in 200-line modes, because the monitor cannot distinguish between being connected to a CGA card or being connected to an EGA card outputting a 200-line mode.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
TL;DR: when people talk about "EGA colours", it's actually "CGA colours" — it's just that all 16 CGA colours could be displayed on the same screen in 200-line EGA modes.
No one asked you about all of this retard, and it doesn't matter how well you know the graphical categories when you are a naive and brain-dead fanboy pussy. You've exposed yourself already, it's too late to save it now, no matter how many technical info you write.
TL;DR Fuck off and take the twitterfags with you.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No one asked you about all of this retard, and it doesn't matter how well you know the graphical categories when you are a naive and brain-dead fanboy pussy. You've exposed yourself already, it's too late to save it now, no matter how many technical info you write.
TL;DR Fuck off and take the twitterfags with you.
We already know that you're an aggressive moron with a short temper and a limited vocabulary, no need to remind us again and again — you've already made that clear a few posts ago. But just keep digging mate... maybe you'll score a few brownie points among similarly retarded edgy teenagers.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Who is "we" Cringewind? Be a man and speak for yourself, don't get the others involved. The limited perception pussy is talking about limited vocabulary...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom