Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Spit.jpg

As I said Cringewind, people spit on you and you think it's holy rain send by the God.

Brancaleone

Prophet
I guess I focused down one of the things that annoy me about the style, it feels like watching a bunch of animated Funko Pops with normal-sized heads.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
With every tiny reveal I want to burn this shit even more. They look like retards and sound like retards.

A few naive idiots here don't get it but If we didn't have the drama and shitting in this thread, we are the ones that will need the therapy, not the bobble head Wally.
Adding a few doses of drama and shitting, it's like adding spice to a badly cooked and tasteless meal.

The spice must flow.

negator2vc

Scholar
Another dialog video! Great (sarcasm here!!)
I wonder if they are ever going to post an actually gameplay video with some actual interaction.
Does the game has any other form of UI except of course the now famous dialog UI ;-) ?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Keep Gilbert and Schafer the hell away from a DOTT sequel for the love of god.
Sigh I know its coming.

I never liked the art in DotT. Technically and artistically it was fantastic, but I never liked the wacky Chuck Jones style. But that was Dave and Tim's game, not mine. They can do what they want and I completely supported that.
I wanted the art in Return to Monkey Island to be provocative, shocking, and not what everyone was expecting.
source: https://grumpygamer.com/

Well we know who to blame lol.

Last edited:

negator2vc

Scholar
Keep Gilbert and Schafer the hell away from a DOTT sequel for the love of god.
Sigh I know its coming.

I never liked the art in DotT. Technically and artistically it was fantastic, but I never liked the wacky Chuck Jones style. But that was Dave and Tim's game, not mine. They can do what they want and I completely supported that.
I wanted the art in Return to Monkey Island to be provocative, shocking, and not what everyone was expecting.
source: https://grumpygamer.com/

Well we know who to blame lol.
Actually it's Maniac Mansion that could be in trouble not DOTT
https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1542965328094801920
Of course since the post was made during the height of the whole art style situation it may just be Gilbert's way to troll the fans!

Boleskine

Arcane

This would have been a good opportunity to demonstrate how much interactivity and hotspots this scene has. Instead there's apparently little to do.

Hovering the crosshair over the door to the Scumm Bar says "Time to talk to the pirate leaders" and clicking takes Guybrush inside without him saying anything.

So instead of the left-click interact, right-click look/describe interface there's a one-button system with the right-click function replaced by longer text descriptions of hotspots. Didn't Dave Gilbert, former Kodexer currently serving a self-imposed exile, do the same thing with Unavowed?

Anyway, major decline but that's to be expected. Phones don't have a 'right-tap' after all and we must make the casuals as comfortable as possible.

I'm guessing this clip features the game's 'easy mode' and that the standard gameplay setting will have a left and right-click interface with voiced Guybrush descriptions for hotspots. The descriptions in this clip are very likely the game's built-in hint system to help usher the casuals along since thinking about something for more than a couple seconds is too hard for them. Tap, tap, tap away like mindless zombies until you've "beaten" the game.

Last edited:

negator2vc

Scholar
WTF! what kind of hotspots are those?
You either show the name of the hotspot (which I prefer) or the description of the hotspot (like in Unavowed).
Not whatever this is!
Also what's the line below the hotspot text???

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Think that's the first confirmation that movement isn't totally on-rails in each scene.. That's something at least. Hopefully the hotspot text can be turned off... I thought Ron always hated the verb-coin for putting a bunch of UI shit in front of the art.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This would have been a good opportunity to demonstrate how much interactivity and hotspots this scene has. Instead there's apparently little to do.

Hovering the crosshair over the door to the Scumm Bar says "Time to talk to the pirate leaders" and clicking takes Guybrush inside without him saying anything.

So instead of the left-click interact, right-click look/describe interface there's a one-button system with the right-click function replaced by longer text descriptions of hotspots. Didn't Dave Gilbert, former Kodexer currently serving a self-imposed exile, do the same thing with Unavowed?

Anyway, major decline but that's to be expected. Phones don't have a 'right-tap' after all and we must make the casuals as comfortable as possible.

I'm guessing this clip features the game's 'easy mode' and that the standard gameplay setting will have a left and right-click interface with voiced Guybrush descriptions for hotspots. The descriptions in this clip are very likely the game's built-in hint system to help usher the casuals along since thinking about something for more than a couple seconds is too hard for them. Tap, tap, tap away like mindless zombies until you've "beaten" the game.

You know what I noticed first in this video?

How unnatural the cursor movement looks. Very awkward and not fluid at all. Nobody using a mouse would move the cursor like this.
This footage was taken with a controller.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, I'm kind of fine with this being stuck 20 years in the past. Not much worthwhile has happened since then anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom