Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Repulsive Stupid Idiot Plays Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11

I am a fat idiot

• Great!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Me too.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Wow!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Hurray.

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

laclongquan

Arcane
His heir is another Gongsun Average, not sure if he can hold the Force together.

EDIT: Can you Rat Diplomacy and get a truce with Dong Zhuo? If I remember correctly Gongsun Du is not of the Anti-DZ Alliance so you dont need to fight him immediately. Get a truce then devour Cao Cao.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Diplomacy in this game is pretty shit. Unless you toss a lot of coin their way to beg for ceasefire ...which is better spent on troops anyway.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Diplomacy in this game is pretty shit. Unless you toss a lot of coin their way to beg for ceasefire ...which is better spent on troops anyway.

As a general rule I agree, but tossing money towards someone, then making an alliance with them can be fun, and can cause trouble for a third party.

XenomorphII

Prophet
This LP is getting exciting! Could you explain what the "weaponry" stat does?

Weaponry is how effective an officer is with Rams/Juggernauts/Towers/Catapults. With a higher rank more tactics are available, and the more damaging attacks are.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I tried this a while back and never really got into it, mostly because I spent the early game trying to fight off bandits and recruit officers, then got screwed by not understanding the mechanics of defending/attacking walls. I'll have to try it again some day, but pick a proper starting warlord.

Chapter 5: Things Are Going to Change in China

When we left off, Gongsun Du had just consolidated his power in the north, crossed the Yellow River and captured Pu Yang, Liu Bei's final stronghold. You all know what that means...

gZAiE.png

Hellllllllllllllllllllllll yeah!!!!! Guan Yu motherfuckers. You can eat my shit, Lu Bu. Game over, we win.

Si4Z5.png

What's that? The party's not over? We're just getting started?

KpwHa.png

Yeaaaaaaaaah!!! The three brothers, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Liu Bei sign on with Gongsun Du. That's not even all we're getting. I hire a bunch more of Liu Bei's prisoners including Jian Yong, Wu Can, Yi Ji and Cui Yan, all of whom are very good political officers.

BDUBu.png

The best of them is Zhong Yao.

FOSYD.png

The emperor sends a cherry to put on top of our cake. Thanks pal. You know, we're only two cities away from the emperor now.

b2JWw.jpg

Cao Cao's Chen Liu, the city he worked so hard to take back, is under attack from Dong Zhuo. We happen to be right next to it. Right now we've only got about 12,000 men in Pu Yang but we can build quickly. This will put us right next to Dong Zhuo - but also the emperor.

Ns0uX.jpg

Ping Yuan is fulled developed in about two months. I'm running low on money and troops so I send a convoy from the north. Cao Cao is holding out in Chen Liu because the main general who was attacking died of old age.

beJ0x.png

I notice something interesting - Yan Xing, one of Dong Zhuo's units attacking Chen Liu has low loyalty...

OlHMF.jpg

Chen Liu was one hit away from being captured. Yan Xing takes the city and snatches victory away from Dong Zhuo. Chen Liu is still under attack though, I'll have to send some guys to reinforce.

4heR7.jpg

Guan Yu and Zhang He march out of Pu Yang to defend Chen Liu. Something tells me this is going to be the start of a huge battle.

CeaCS.jpg

Haha! In an unexpected twist, Yan Xing switches sides to Chen Gui, giving Chen Gui control of Chen Liu. At the same time, my convoy finally reaches Pu Yang, so I send even more units out toward Chen Liu. Who cares how the battle goes - I just want to fight!

hXpKY.jpg

Zhang He and Guan Yu reach Chen Liu. Zhang He attacked Yan Xing, who served us for less than a month. Guan Yu finishes him off.

aEAxQ.jpg

Guan Yu and Zhang He attack Li Ru, Dong Zhuo's attacking army, and deal tremendous damage. It looks like Dong Zhuo is sending out a few more units to try to take Chen Liu. I'd like to see what they can do against Guan Yu, Zhang He, Zhao Yun and Zhang Yan (when they get here!).

JavI4.jpg

Zhao Yun and Zhang Yan reach Chen Liu and attack. Zhang He takes the city for a second time and captures the traitor Yan Xing. I wonder what we should do with this guy...

pCtnw.jpg

Dong Zhuo really wants Chen Liu but he doesn't have the manpower or officers in the region to take it. Most of his forces are concentrated near the border with Sun Jian and Liu Zhang. He didn't expect any serious threats from the north.

b54XM.jpg

Let's do this Dong Zhuo! Let's do this here and now. I've been looking for a good fight so let's do this. Bring everything you've got.

Lm4b1.jpg

Let's see what your Hua Xiong and Zhang Liao have to say about Guan Yu. You know what Hu Che'er had to say about Guan Yu? Nothing. Guan Yu destroyed him before he even had a chance to attack.

c3574.png

He's still got a number of great generals left, but he's lost a lot too. Xu Rong, Lu Bu, Huang Zhong and Gan Ning have all died or left his service. Right now, top tier personnel are split between all the different forces. Even Kong Rong has a few great generals.

O3sBe.jpg

The attack is going extremely poorly for Dong Zhuo. He just doesn't have enough good officers in the region and it's too poorly guarded. Xu Chang and Ru Nan to the south both have under 10,000. Luo Yang to the west has 15,000.

xBuuc.png

Chen Gui sends a messenger to Chen Liu. I think I know what he wants.

M3253.png

He wants Yan Xing, the officer who defected. I think I'll keep him for a little while longer. His breeding skill increases the number of horses you get, which is very helpful for a cavalry-based army.

VM1Pr.jpg

Guan Yu, Zhao Yun and Zhang He completely massacre Li Su's unit. Things aren't going so well for Dong Zhuo. Although he is still by far the strongest warlord in China, he's also decisively lost Chen Liu. He's also lost Jiang Ling to Sun Jian in the south, but this city has gone back and forth between him, Sun Jian and Liu Zhang for a while now. Zhang He captures Li Su the next turn and the rest go home. Not even worth my time.

v0SHY.jpg

It looks like it's time for round two. Dong Zhuo sends Wei Xu, Yan Xiang and Hu Che-er back to attack Chen Liu. Come on Dong, send more. Send 200,000.

yJDP8.jpg

The three destroy Wei Xu and fire at Yan Xiang with their bows. Once again it's a massacre. I also send huge convoys with around 100,000 men total from my northern territories to Chen Liu and Pu Yang.

yASKa.jpg

Guan Yu and Zhao Yun finish off Yan Xiang and Hu Che-er while Zhang He goes home. After the convoys get here, I'll start sending out armies to conquer uh, everything around me.

rfIMz.jpg

The first convoy arrives in Pu Yang and Gongsun Zan charges towards Cao Cao's Xiao Pei with a massive army, by far the largest I've fielding. I'm looking for a fight, Cao Cao.

qhxak.jpg

This is what I was looking for! Xiahou Yuan, Cao Xiu and Zang Ba, all very good generals, ride out of Xiao Pei and attack Gongsun Zan, dealing heavy damage. Gao Lan and Gongsun Zan destroy Cao Xiu's unit while the rest focus on Xiahou Yuan.

tj0ve.jpg

At the same time, the second convoy reaches Chen Liu. A massive army marches out of Chen Liu with one half, led by Guan Yu, heading toward Luo Yang and the other half, led by Zhao Yun, marching toward Xu Chang.

NL6wq.jpg

Zhou Tai and Wen Chou finish off Xiahou Yuan while the rest attack Zang Ba and other minor units on the field. Cao Xiu returns to the battlefield after being defeated and Gao Lan captures him.

EDyYx.png

He's not bad! He's a relative of Cao Cao's, so he won't join us, but Cao Cao may offer to ransom him later.

52jF6.jpg

Zang Ba just can't hold against my waves of men. Li Tong defeats him and the other generals form a perimeter around the city to attack.

cLNzw.jpg

Ju Shou easily takes Hu Lao Gate, the place Qiao Mao and Dong Zhuo battled over for years, allow entry into the poorly defended capital of Luo Yang.

YVAix.jpg

Dong Zhuo personally rides out to defend Xu Chang, but his army is pushed back by Zhao Yun and Zhang Yan.

ZgWfb.jpg

Guan Yu, Tian Feng and Zhang Yue attack Hu Che-er in Luo Yang. In Xu Chang, Zhang Yan finishes off Dong Zhuo's unit but fails to capture him.

4UVpA.jpg

Li Tong, the very first officer we recruited, captures Cao Cao's Xiao Pei. I send a few officers over to build, but we'll want to take advantage of our momentum and attack the neighboring city of Xia Pi. Among the prisoners taken in Xiao Pei is Cao Ang, Cao Cao's first son.

vRICZ.jpg

Li Ru rides out from Luo Yang to attack Tian Feng. Tian Feng, Guan Yu and Zhang He all attack Li Ru and deal huge damage. This just shows how badly positioned Dong Zhuo's officers were - Li Ru is a great strategist but a terrible general. The fact that he's defending the city on his own shows how horribly Dong Zhuo miscalculated his positioning.

Z7iAw.jpg

The battle in Xu Chang is going equally poorly for Dong Zhuo. My four generals attack Fan Chou, dealing heavy damage, and advance toward the city.

PM17V.jpg

Cao Cao sends two top tier generals north from Shou Chun to retake Xiao Pei. Meanwhile, my troops in Xu Chang finish off Fan Chou and begin attacking the city.

QElrt.png

Li Ru and Hu Che-Er in Luo Yang are both defeated. Li Ru is taken captive, which is a great blow to Dong Zhuo.

G2eAt.jpg

More of Cao Cao's troops advance on Xiao Pei. This is what I was looking for, Cao Cao. A real fight!

xoG8w.jpg

Guan Yu finishes off a small unit led by Yang Qiu, which increases his leadership to 96. Awesome. The capital is now surrounded and the emperor will be ours soon. Zhao Yun leads a surround attack on Xu Chang that deals considerable damage to the walls.

8Am2a.jpg

Now this is a real battle. Cao Cao has sent his best generals to retake Xiao Pei. I send my men south to block off Xiahou Yuan and the other units from Shou Chun. I'll attack Cao Ren when he gets closer. The men at Luo Yang and Xu Chang attack the walls for heavy damage.

9sJY2.png

The year changes from 199 to 200 and a new century is upon China. Guan Ping, Guan Yu's adopted son, presents himself to Gongsun Du and pledges his loyalty.

cRDbF.jpg

Back in Xiao Pei, Gao Lan challenges Xiahou Yuan to a duel. I sure hope I gave him that bow a while back...

HbDim.jpg

Gao Lan dodges and blocks Xiahou Yuan's attacks, which gives him a huge boost of spirit energy. He also triggers his defense stance which allows him to block a few more hits with impunity.

QCHhO.jpg

Xiahou Yuan unleashes a torrent of blows, one of which actually hits. It raises Gao Lan's energy bar to the max.

ieNvu.jpg

The maxed spirit bar lets Gao Lan perform a musou attack, which wounds Xiahou Yuan and greatly lowers his war. Gao Lan finishes him off in a few hits.

dysrg.png

Xiahou Yuan is captured and one of the biggest threats to Xiao Pei is eliminated. My remaining armies focus on Huang Zhong, who doesn't take much damage because of his high leadership and pike unit. Meanwhile, my armies at Xu Chang and Luo Yang continue to attack the walls.

kAaUx.jpg

More men are headed for Xiao Pei! Also, it looks like Xun Yu's face has changed - he's gotten older. This happens to certain famous officers as the game progresses.

Rm8ZM.jpg

Huang Zhong starts a fire on Zhou Tai's unit and tries to trap him in it. Zhou Tai escapes and Yan Liang attacks Huang Zhong from behind, pushing him into the very fire that he started. Li Tong and Gongsun Zan attack Cao Ren as he approaches the city. I'm starting to run out of horses in Xiao Pei!

OXCSx.jpg

I finish researching elite cavalry, the final tech on the cavalry tree. It gives a huge boost to the stats of my cavalry units and its effects are immediately noticeable.

Joawa.jpg

Huang Zhong escapes from the fire but Yan Liang pushes him back into it. Wen Chou fires a volley of arrows at Huang Zhong to help out Yan Liang. Yan and Wen are good friends and sometimes friends will automatically help each other out during battles, getting free hits on enemies. Wen Chou immediately attacks Dong Xi's siege tower unit and Yan Liang reciprocates the help by firing a volley of his own. Gongsun Zan and Li Tong push Cao Ren farther away from the city. Man, the new elite cavalry upgrade is great.

Ryh8h.jpg

Zhang Yan takes down the walls at Xu Chang and captures the city...

nv5vS.png

Dong Zhuo is taken in the ensuing chaos...

abhx7.png

...and executed.

BUW5E.png

His son-in-law Niu Fu declares himself his successor, which causes a huge drop in loyalty for many of his officers and a number of very important ones, like Han Sui and Pang De, to leave. I cross my fingers and send a few officers out to recruit some of the more desirable ones.

Things are going to change in China.

c4CGi.png

Wen Chou attacks Dong Xi's siege tower unit and his buddy Yan Liang helps again, finishing him off. Wen Chou says "I can always count on you!" Cute, Wen Chou... Yan Liang finishes off Cao Ren near Xiao Pei but a new wave of men approaches.

iZiup.jpg

Cao Cao's troops are almost completely defeated. My men push them a little further back and deal heavy damage.

6IFiQ.jpg

After months of attacking its walls, Luo Yang, the capital and seat of imperial power in China, has fallen. Zhang He marches triumphantly into the city into the imperial palace.

8rlVX.png

The emperor and all of China is finally free from Dong Zhuo's manipulation. Dong Zhuo has been killed and although the remnants of his force is still strong, they no longer hold the sway they did only a few months ago. The emperor is overjoyed to see Zhang He!

GR3Xg.png

Zhang He plunges his sword into the emperor. The Han is over.

terWV.png

Things are going to change in China.

igO6M.png

My vassals and everyone throughout China is shocked. Zhang Yang protests the act, but it's too late.

BKTsZ.png

Sun Jian swears to get revenge for my heinous act.

RTmyB.png

Gongsun Du appoints himself Grand General. A new era has dawned upon China. No longer does China hold a covenant with Heaven. The emperor's mandate now extends to all men and only now can Gongsun Du truly take the land for himself. He has set China free.

8XXkp.jpg

Yan Liang wipes out Dian Wei, the last unit Cao Cao sent to take back Xiao Pei and the rest of the men start moving home. After the battle, Yan Liang and Wen Chou get married and kiss on the lips.

FFx8i.png

I have expanded greatly in the last few years and I will likely continue to do so. Cao Cao and Chen Gui are both very weak now and will be easy taken. Dong Zhuo is dead and his son-in-law Niu Fu has taken his place. Niu Fu is a weak ruler and will handle his forces inefficiently. Sun Jian has lost the city of Jiang Ling for the moment, but he'll likely get it back. Liu Zhang is clinging desperately to his remaining territories but he is too weak to recover now. This is now a battle between Gongsun Du, Niu Fu and Sun Jian. I have 340,000 soldiers, 50,000 less than Niu Fu, but 12 cities. With Dong Zhuo and the emperor dead, China is ours to take.

Majestic47

Learned
...this is kinda strange choice IMO. There's no benefit to dethrone the emperor, is there?

Kwota

Augur
I am throughly enjoying this LP, the last ROTK version that I played was IX on PS2 and this thread sparked my interest enough to try this one.

Have any of you gents tried the Power-Up Kit? I'm currently in a process of obtaining that version and would like to gain some input about it.

...this is kinda strange choice IMO. There's no benefit to dethrone the emperor, is there?
Yeah, I did it because it's fun and weird and it doesn't really matter either way. If you support the emperor, you get a tiny TP boost and if you don't then you get a minor loyalty hit. I was appointed grand general immediately afterward, which counteracted the loyalty hit. It didn't matter ; )

Chapter 6: I'm Done With These Fucking Chapter Names

apGCN.jpg

The very first thing that happens is that I finish researching veteran troops, which raises the maximum will of soldiers from 100 to 120, meaning I'll be able to use more tactics and strategies in battle.

IG4Sq.png

I'm going to focus on the command tech line for now, which gives nice improvements to all of my armies regardless of whether they're cavalry or not. The adept march tech allows me to take shortcuts that were otherwise impossible to use or would hurt me.

MYIdc.jpg

The first order of business is to develop and reinforce my cities of Xiao Pei, Xu Chang and Luo Yang. My push in the last chapter greatly expanded my frontlines and I'll need to reinforce them if I want to keep them.

po9mu.jpg

In an act of complete strangeness, Kong Rong sends Taishi Ci, who is actually really good, down from his city of Bei Hai to attack Pu Yang. I have no idea what he hopes to accomplish.

ZqXeT.jpg

He's sending Chen Wu now, another pretty good general - not that it matters. Wen Chou charges Taishi Ci's unit back at Pu Yang and kills over 2,000 men. The elite cavalry tech we gained last chapter is helping quite a bit!

E3BjI.jpg

Cao Cao sends more troops from Xia Pi to Xiao Pei. It's far too late now - Xiao Pei has nearly 50,000 defenders and is fully fortified. He's just sending men to their death now and making it easier for me to capture Xia Pi.

wm38U.jpg

Cao Cao's force reaches Xiao Pei. My armies ride out and attack Cao Ren. He's pretty resilient and doesn't take much damage despite being attacked by five different officers. Our war with Cao Cao has taken the pressure off of Chen Gui, allowing him to rebuild to the point where he's capable of fighting back. Right now he's sending an army to one of Cao Cao's ports, which is just a prelude to an invasion of one of his cities.

nyZQc.png

Li Tong captures Cao Ren. He's Cao Cao's cousin and a very good general, although he likely won't defect.

05omn.png

The next turn, Zhou Tai captures Li Dian, another of Cao Cao's good generals.

zi1en.jpg

Zhou Tai finishes off Yue Jin's unit, ending the battle. Now would be a good time to attack Shou Chun, Cao Cao's city to the south, because it's so poorly defended. I want to take his Xia Pi, though, before Chen Gui takes it.

k7pdk.jpg

I send an army out from Xiao Pei towards Xia Pi. It's well defended so this battle may be difficult.

WyY4t.jpg

Wow! Cao Cao confused Gongsun Zan's unit on the land bridge that connects Xiao Pei to Xia Pi and set his unit on fire. Lu Bu and others came out and pummeled him for huge damage. This is going pretty badly so far!

6zwcK.jpg

The battle is going terribly! Gongsun Zan was confused again and taken down several thousand men. I pull back, hoping that once his unit has been wiped out, they'll come out one at a time.

9XaVM.jpg

At the same time, I send out an army from Luo Yang to take Niu Fu's Chang An. At least Lu Bu isn't there.

MelPk.jpg

My plan works, although Gongsun Zan is destroyed. Mao Jie marches out onto the land bridge and is destroyed. It looks like this will be a long battle of attrition.

cZNY2.jpg

Lu Bu and Man Chong charge over the land bridge and deal substantial damage to Gao Lan. Yan Liang is able to retaliate for heavy damage, but I'm probably going to lose a lot of guys this battle. The good news is that a huge supply convoy just reached Xiao Pei, so I can send in more guys.

OTVWU.jpg

Guan Yu's army reaches Chang An and begins attacking.

HnqQG.jpg

Gongsun Zan reaches the battle again and defeats Lu Bu's unit. The rest concentrate on Man Chong, who is particularly resilient and doesn't take much damage.

xXwXF.jpg

I send one last army out from Xu Chang toward Niu Fu's Wan.

85KdS.jpg

Guan Yu's army at Chang An is meeting very little resistance. Cao Xing's unit of 7,000 is decimated to only 555 after a single turn.

6nPjA.png

Gongsun Zan in Xia Pi captures Man Chong. He's an excellent defensive general and will hopefully join us soon. At the same time, Chen Gui is sending a huge army to Cao Cao's other city of Shou Chun. It looks like this might be the end of Cao Cao.

oR4Xf.jpg

The battle for Chang An is going excellently. Cao Xing is taken captive and the other officers attack the walls. The city will fall soon.

QdXn4.jpg

What? Where did everyone go? Cao Cao withdraws all of his troops back into Xia Pi and I have no idea why. This is really strange and I've never seen anything like this before. The armies move in to attack.

tDfj8.jpg

It could be that he withdrew the officers to send them to Shou Chun, which is getting attacked from two sides by Chen Gui.

FKTrV.jpg

The battle for Wan is also going well. Wang Ling confuses Fan Chou's unit of 11,000 at a strategic bottleneck and the rest of the armies take him down by half.

5CvGg.jpg

Cao Cao's army returns, though to much less effect than before. Lu Bu deals some damage to Li Tong, who may withdraw to resupply later, but I'm not worried. They're running out of supplies - Zang Ba's troop is using swords, by far the worst troop type. The battles in Wan and Chang An are also going well - Fan Chou is almost taken out in Wan and Guan Yu continues to attack Chang An's walls.

rwtCt.png

Zang Ba, one of the defenders of Xia Pi, attacks Yan Liang but is captured. Another good cavalry general! Gongsun Yue takes Liu Ye and Yue Jin captive as well. This is a major blow to Cao Cao because Liu Ye is his adviser. Gao Lan and Li Tong retreat, but are replaced by Wen Chou.

k3LMZ.jpg

Fan Chou in Wan is finally defeated. Zhang Fei charges forward and tries to breach Xu Chu's unit but fails. Wang Ling confuses Yang Qiu, who was shooting arrows from on top of the hill.

adBFu.jpg

Yan Liang wipes out Lu Bu's unit and captures Bao Xin, a general with good stats across the board (who will probably die soon!). There are very few troops left in Xia Pi so I don't expect anymore resistance.

rXhFq.jpg

Han Hao confuses Xu Chu, which allows Zhao Yun and Zhang Yan to break through and attack Xu Chu's unit from the slope.

4hCwO.jpg

Guan Yu's assault on Chang An continues to go well. The city will fall very soon.

e1yrS.jpg

Wen Chou reaches Xia Pi and leads a surround attack. The walls will fall soon! Despite Chen Gui's hordes of soldiers, I think Cao Cao will hold out in Shou Chun.

fxA1e.jpg

Zhang He captures Chang An although there are still a few enemies outside. I'll take them out soon.

iuPyj.jpg

Zhao Yun defeats Xu Chu's unit and Zhang Yan begins attacking the walls of Wan.

h4y3K.jpg

Zhao Yun and Zhang Yan lead a joint attack on the walls of Wan while Han Hao, Zhang Fei and Wang Ling attack the camp that blocks the way. Once the camp is out of the way, they'll be able to get through.

Bhzq7.jpg

Zhang Fei and Han Hao make it to Wan and attack the city with Zhao Yun and Zhang Yan. Wang Ling is still stuck on the other side of the camp.

sxKCp.jpg

Wen Chou lands the final blow on Xia Pi and captures it. Everyone in the city is captured except for Lu Bu, who somehow manages to escape to Shou Chun.

8lwMe.png

Gongsun Du appoints himself baron, the same rank as Niu Fu. Despite their same rank, there is a significant difference in strength. We now have 490,000 soldiers, far more than Niu Fu's 340,000. We also have 14 cities, one more than Niu Fu's 13. There is no question that we are the most powerful force in China now and that it's only a matter of time before we conquer everyone else.

rIEBC.jpg

Zhang Yan finally destroys the walls of Wan and captures the city. Wan is an important city for a number of reasons; it's weak economically but holds a strategic position. It's in the center of a number of cities - we could go in any number of directions from here. More importantly, it blocks off Luo Yang, Xu Chang and Chen Liu from conquest, shrinking the size of our frontier significantly.

v4OXo.png

We continue to expand, but so does Niu Fu. His northern front is collapsing, but he's still grabbing territory from the weak Liu Zhang and Kong Rong. Sun Jian has been pretty passive this game - usually he'd be up to Wan by now, but he's been struggling to take Liang Jing from Niu Fu. Cao Cao is at the end of his rope, although he'll likely beat back Chen Gui's army. Chen Gui, on the other hand, has grown very strong in southeastern China and will be a real pain to take out.

My next target will be Kong Rong's Bei Hai in northeastern China and Cao Cao's Shou Chun. I want to simultaneously expand into the northwest and southeast, wiping out Cao Cao and Chen Gui and drawing from their resources to fight Niu Fu and eventually Sun Jian. We're also by far the strongest force right now with many of the best officers and the most soldiers. We're past the point of question - we will definitely win this game.

Majestic47

Learned
Poor, poor Cao Cao...

Yeah. Definite win for you. I got the same feeling when I'm at this point. I usually just quit out of boredom.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I'm curious about the inheritance problem. What impacts how much power you lose when someone new takes over after your leader dies? Is it the heir's stats compared to the ruler or something else? I ask because Gongsun Du's son is quite comparable to him in stats even though they are both middling, but you all sound like the shit will hit the fan if Du dies.

Anyway, good update!

laclongquan

Arcane
The problem is not about the balance of talents between the dead and the successor. The problem is the the talents of the successor measured to a threshold set by the game engine that is very hard to quantify. war abilities? intelligence abilities? Innate like/dislike of that officer?

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Poor, poor Cao Cao...

Yeah. Definite win for you. I got the same feeling when I'm at this point. I usually just quit out of boredom.

Do not encourage him to quit out of boredom at this point, mang! The LP won't be majestic enough if the lot of China is not conquered! :salute:

Then again, I COULD maybe forgive quitting at this point... if he started yet another epic campaign. The early game stuff is fascinating.

Majestic47

Learned
The problem is not about the balance of talents between the dead and the successor. The problem is the the talents of the successor measured to a threshold set by the game engine that is very hard to quantify. war abilities? intelligence abilities? Innate like/dislike of that officer?

Innate dislike matters most.
'It doesn't matter if the guy is capable, if I don't like my boss, I'd quit my job.' - is probably the main factor.

Tigranes

Arcane
Which isn't a bad way to code it. After all, the biggest factor was whether the heir could claim some form of legitimacy either through filial relation (or even better, primogeniture), or royal ancestors to the Han (Liu Bei and the other Lius, including Liu Zhang). In fact, those two were just about the only ones that worked for any ROTK-era succession, though the warlords could in the beginning justify themselves through might, opportunism, etc. (i.e. papa Sun). Sheer incompetence or inexperience (or immorality) only mattered for heirs that might be otherwise legit - e.g. people betraying Liu Zhang to Liu Bei with the pretext that Zhang is pretty useless.

Edit: I too expect the game to be pretty boring for stupididiot now, and wouldn't mind if he started a new campaign or moved on to another related game (one of the squad tactical combat spinoffs would be cool). But if you continue, hey, good for us!

Majestic47

Learned
I played the battle of guan du scenario before and if Yuan Shao dies, his kingdom is scripted to split into two. Pretty historically accurate, that.
I only wish the AI is more challenging.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I am throughly enjoying this LP, the last ROTK version that I played was IX on PS2 and this thread sparked my interest enough to try this one.

Have any of you gents tried the Power-Up Kit? I'm currently in a process of obtaining that version and would like to gain some input about it.

I believe that for the PC version, only JP and CHN releases have the Power Up Kit released, which from my memory includes a few more development buildings, some hardcore scenarios and better pathfinding AI. I also heard that there is a Wii or DS version released that may have the PUK preloaded, but I am not sure.

Hey, sorry I haven't posted in a while, the semester started up again. Is this something you all want to see finished? We've passed the biggest hurdle and from now on it's just going to be tedious. If I continue, I'm going to focus on the bigger picture rather than all the small details - is this something you all want or would you rather I start up a Romance of the Three Kingdoms 10 or Nobunaga's Ambition game?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I've always wanted to try out the Nobunaga's Ambition series but never got the chance. I'd really appreciate a LP of that game.

Whatever you do, don't continue to play that Gongsun Du game. The endgame in RoTK games tends to be horribly boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom