Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Repulsive Stupid Idiot Plays Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11

I am a fat idiot

• Great!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Me too.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Wow!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Hurray.

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Tigranes

Arcane
:yeah:

Good job with the dam (which I never realized in all my years of playing), and with taking out Gongson Du. Did he have Zhao Yun to recruit? It doesn't look like it, yet? I can't imagine there are a lot of free officers any good in the region, maybe one option is to try and take out Yuan Shao during the craziness and get his generals, but that won't be easy.

Definitely the craziest North I've seen, there will be a massive talent migration mess if Cao Cao or Liu Bei manage to get themselves wiped out.

Han Fu's got Zhao Yun. He's also got Zhang He, Zhou Tai and a bunch of good strategists. I think he could do pretty well for a while, but he'll die soon and people will leave after his successor comes to power. Cao Cao is also getting really strong and I think he'll take back Chen Liu eventually. Also, not a single free officer came to Xiang Ping that entire time, even after Liu Yu was destroyed. I really think you have to send guys out if you want to get anyone unless you get super lucky, but even if you do, most of the free northern guys aren't that great.

Hey, I just want to say thanks for sticking with me on my second run of this game. I hope some of you are trying it out, I think it's one of the most overlooked entries in the series and it does a lot that I think other strategy games could learn from.

PS - so far this has been way easier than Yuan Shu. I seriously did not expect that Yuan Shu game to be so hard. I haven't been afraid of losing once because I had that dam, but with Yuan Shu I had no fail-safes and there was a lot more pressure. I've also never expanded as quickly as I did in that Yuan Shu game. It was seriously one of my best games ever : (

Anyway -

Chapter 2: Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gongsta

qwAcl.jpg

When we left off, Cao Cao was attacking Tao Qian's city of Xiao Pei. It looks like he's recovered the strength he lost when Chen Liu, his starting city, was taken by Han Fu and that he's expanding back in that direction. Tao Qian has a lot of territory but not many soldiers or competent personnel; he's almost assured to lose this battle. Cao Cao's capture of Xiao Pei will threaten Han Fu from both sides - on the west from Dong Zhuo and on the east from Cao Cao. If Han Fu can keep it together, and he's got very good officers now, he may come out on top. Also in the picture are Kong Rong's troops. They're not involved with any of the fighting and are traveling south, presumably to capture the free city of Chai Sang. Bad news Kong: Sun Jian is also sending an army there and he'll get there way before you would.

wtyIP.png

Back in our newly captured city of Bei Ping, Li Tong recruits the first of Gongsun Zan's prisoners, Guan Jing. He's not great, but he's got the highest intelligence of anyone we've got and he's the only person who qualifies to serve as an adviser. I appoint him even though I know most of his advice will be garbage. We've still got 13 prisoners left to recruit. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Gongsun family (Zan, Yue, Fan and Xu), who are good cavalry generals, and Tian Yu, who has pretty strong stats all around, before they escape.

OQmGI.png

That was fast. The very next turn, Gongsun Yue escapes from my prisons. That stinks because he's an S-rank cavalry general with the White Rider skill which lets him fire arrows while commanding a cavalry unit.

Y6VL7.png

An envoy of the emperor comes and bestows the title of lieutenant governor on Gongsun Du.

gDz64.png

He doesn't seem too enthusiastic though.

Apcln.jpg

It's been about a month since we've moved in so it looks like the neighbors are coming to visit. Zhang Yang, the warlord to our immediate east, has sent out some units from Ji. This is a lot of guys to deal with early on because Bei Ping only has about 12,000 soldiers right now and not many good officers, but there's also a very narrow pass leading from Ji to Bei Ping that will make defense easy. Hopefully I'll be able to hold the pass and confuse Zhang Yan the enemies.

L7wOT.png

Heck yeah. Li Tong recruits Gongsun Zan just in time to join the defense of Bei Ping. He's a very good cavalry general who will be the backbone of our army at least until we conquer Yuan Shao, which won't be for a while.

2MFga.png

Gongsun Kang recruits Tian Yu, an officer that excels in pretty much all areas. He's also got higher intelligence than Guan Jing, so I replace him with Tian Yu. Guan Jing sucked and was wrong about almost everything, not that this guy will be much better.

fVPBv.jpg

Gongsun Zan and Li Tong head out of Bei Ping with 8,000 men. Mu Shun will probably make it through the pass before they get there, but it's not a big deal. One really bad thing though is that I don't have much food. Both units only have enough food for 100 days, 10 turns, and Bei Ping has hardly any food left. This might get really bad.

C1JFv.png

Mu Shun makes it through the pass but Li Tong confuses him and Gongsun Zan attacks for nearly 1,000 damage. No idea where Zhang Yan went. It looks like he's off building archer turrets on the other side of the map. That's fine for me - he would have been the only real threat in this battle.

SS7GI.png

Gongsun Zan and Li Tong push the still-confused Mu Shun even further away from Bei Ping. I'm also able to recruit Gongsun Xu, Gongsun Zan's son. He's not great, but he also has the White Riders skill and an S cavalry ranking, so he'll be useful for a while. Zhang Yang's other units seem to be taking their time. I receive word that another unit is on the way, but it's small and led by a terrible officer.

AIziz.jpg

Awesome! I had totally forgotten that I ordered Gongsun Gong to research Drill Cavalry. Drill Cavalry increases the base statistics for all cavalry units, making them that much more effective. Gongsun Zan and Li Tong continue to beat on Mu Shun. The Drill Cavalry tech noticeably increases their damage.

uXHzV.png

Winter changes to Spring, Bei Ping has a minor harvest that we'll likely need to capitalize on soon and Li Tong defeats Mu Shun's unit. He doesn't capture the general, but at least he's removed one threat. Fang Yue and Bian Xi are still just standing around - I have no idea what they're doing. Maybe they're exploiting my lack of food.

vHUyM.jpg

Fang Yue finally makes it through the pass, only to be confused by Tian Yu and ambushed by Gongsun Zan. Zhang Yang is throwing a lot at this battle and so far has lost 8,000 men. I've lost about 100. He wasn't particularly strong to begin with, so this could be the beginning of the end for him.

XHpIt.jpg

Zhang Yan (not Zhang Yang!) finally makes it to the battle, using a breach attack that kills over 1,000 men and moves him through Gongsun Zan's unit. My plan is to challenge him to a duel and capture him. He's far too good a general to face head on. He refuses the duel offer but Li Tong does manage to confuse him.

AzZOT.png

The next turn, Gongsun Zan challenges him to another duel while he's confused. This time it's successful and they begin the fight. Gongsun Zan has a slight statistical advantage, but he's got another advantage over Zhang Yan: he has a bow that allows him to feign retreat and then shoot Zhang Yan while he's running. The damage from the bow has a chance to lower Zhang Yan's war stat.

VSzxE.jpg

Zhang Yan and Gongsun Zan go blow for blow, but then Zhang Yan triggers his spirit stance and gains a full bar of spirit energy. This could be bad but I'm not too worried - Gongsun Zan's bow should win this battle.

jUcsb.jpg

Zhang Yan wastes his spirit energy on improving his attack strength. Gongsun Zan seems capable of dodging and deflecting most of the attacks. Only two attacks later, he triggers his own special defense which makes him temporarily invulnerable.

6yHiw.jpg

Zhang Yan unleashes a mortal blow attack which deals quite a bit of damage to Gongsun Zan. He's got two full bars of spirit energy now. It's almost time to unleash the bow...

J8qmZ.jpg

Gongsun Zan starts fleeing the battle...

GbhpV.jpg

...but turns around with his bow just as Zhang Yan starts chasing him. The bow deals huge damage and critically wounds Zhang Yan, lowering his stats. But the fun isn't over yet. Gongsun Zan follows it up with two mortal blows, which knock Zhang Yan out. The duel is won.

cbznG.jpg

Gongsun Zan isn't able to capture Zhang Yan though. Too bad, he's a great general and would make a good asset to our force.

kJHio.png

Tao Qian dies of old age. His successor, his adviser Chen Gui, is polarizing and causes a number of his officers to leave.

Iho9D.png

Liu Yan dies on the same day! His successor, his son Liu Zhang, is somewhat less polarizing but also less competent. This is bad for both leaders, but especially bad for Liu Zhang. He's a very bad ruler and usually makes decisions that stifle his force's growth. Chen Gui generally tends to be an even better ruler than Tao Qian. He reinforces the cities that Tao Qian captures and expands much more conservatively. It may be too late for Chen Gui, though - Cao Cao has taken his city of Xiao Pei and threatens him further.

TUmN9.png

The battle isn't going well for Gongsun Zan and Li Tong. They both retreat back to Bei Ping to reinforce and hopefully draw Zhang Yan closer so more strategists can confuse him.

yfrzB.jpg

The plan works. A bunch of strategists I recruited from Gongsun Zan march out and confuse Zhang Yang's armies. Gongsun Zan and Li Tong retreat to Bei Ping to train troops and get more food.

tXBlQ.jpg

Gongsun Zan and Li Tong reemerge from the city and finish off Fang Yue's unit. They're not able to capture him but he's not that great anyway.

2NGEv.jpg

Gongsun Zan and Li Tong push Zhang Yan farther away from the city, allowing me to transfer some officers back to Xiang Ping. Xiang Ping is already fully developed so it doesn't need anymore development. Anything it produces can immediately be pushed to the frontlines.

AOgzr.jpg

Gongsun Zan and Li Tong finish off Zhang Yan. All that's left is Bian Xi now. I've been able to keep them constantly confused and they haven't done any damage to me in a few turns.

FWumO.jpg

Meanwhile to the south, it looks like Kong Rong's troop that we saw marching through Tao Qian and Cao Cao's battle is attacking Liu Biao's city of Jiang Xia. I have no idea why he's doing this.

12jxt.jpg

This is really, really bad. I hardly have enough food to keep up the current defense - I absolutely don't have enough to maintain it. Maybe if I transfer some soldiers and food from Xiang Ping I'll be able to hold out. Either way, Yuan Shao's soldiers are significantly higher quality than Zhang Yang's. Maybe I can somehow convince him to call a ceasefire.

dMoMN.png

Gongsun Fan, another good cavalry general I had hoped to recruit escapes.

JIDFh.jpg

Zhang Yan is coming back for more too. Bian Xi has been reduced to 400 units but he's too close to the approaching Yuan Shao army so I pull back and allow him to retreat.

Kqxjx.jpg

There are 30,000 men heading towards Bei Ping. Gao Lan, Wen Chou and Zhang Yan are all very good generals. Bei Ping only has 15,000 men and very little food at the moment, but there's a supply convoy with 12,000 men on the way and lots of horses. Hopefully if we're able to hold out long enough until the convoy gets here, we can pull off a victory.

82hOH.jpg

I have no idea what to do. I manage to confuse Gao Lan but I probably can't confuse Wen Chou because he has a strategist with 80 intelligence in his unit. Wen Chou will annihilate whoever I send out there, even Gongsun Zan. There are no tricks I can pull here. Maybe if I can duel Wen Chou with Gongsun Zan and capture Wen Chou's strategist, I'll be able to confuse him and wipe him out.

o0z5C.png

For now, I concentrate on Gao Lan. Gongsun Zan shoots Gao Lan with his bows and Li Tong pushes Wen Chou away from Bei Ping.

E2Tll.jpg

God, what a turd. Wen Chou confuses Li Tong's unit with his strategist. At least he didn't use charge or kill anyone.

K7ycm.jpg

Gongsun Zan rides out and challenges Wen Chou to a duel. This is going to be extremely tough - Wen Chou has 11 more points of warfare than Gongsun Zan does. This battle isn't about Wen Chou though, it's about his strategist. If I can kill or capture his strategist, I'll be able to disable Wen Chou. There's almost no chance Gongsun Zan can beat Wen Chou himself, so he focuses on spirit to raise his energy for when the strategist rides out.

NO6kO.jpg

This is going well so far. Wen Chou almost immediately gained a full bar of spirit energy, but his strategist, Feng Ji, rode out and wasted it on defense. I immediately switch Gongsun Zan to spirit. If I can trigger a spirit energy boost, I'll be able to take out Feng Ji quickly with 2 mortal blows and one bow attack.

9bCq6.jpg

Shit, Wen Chou comes out just as Gongsun Zan is about to gain that last bar of spirit energy. Gongsun Zan and Wen Chou dueled in real life when Yuan Shao took Han Fu's city of Ye. Wen Chou wiped the floor with Gongsun Zan and would have killed him if Zhou Yun, who would go on to become one of the great heroes of Shu, hadn't intervened.

XfB29.png

Gongsun Zan has 3 bars of spirit energy left, enough to pull off a musou attack. He'll start by feigning retreat...

ELKnv.png

Ahaha, terrible picture but the feign retreat deals heavy damage. It doesn't manage to take his war stat down though.

mXckr.jpg

Neither did musou, but it wounds him terribly. Now Gongsun Zan only needs one or two more good attacks.

sMLXr.jpg

No! Wen Chou retreats from the battle before Gongsun Zan is able to land the finishing blow! Wen Chou loses a few troops but retreats largely unscathed. This was a victory I was counting on.

UuelQ.jpg

The battle continues after the duel. The enemy gets a free turn because of a stupid mouse glitch you sometimes get when you initiate duels and they deal significant damage to Li Tong. Yuan Shang attacks Bei Ping with his siege tower and deals huge casualties. The supply convoy is getting closer but it probably won't get here in time. Gongsun Zan knocks Wen Chou down to only a few hundred troops at the expense of most of his willpower while Li Tong takes tons of damage from everyone around him. I send out almost all of my strategists to confuse people and it works, but it takes a lot of tries.

Nur0Z.png

And then Han Fu dies. Qiao Mao appoints himself as Han Fu's successor which causes a number of his critical officers to leave.

26jVC.png

Gongsun Du rides out of Bei Ping with 1,000 soldiers and finishes off the critically weak Wen Chou. With Wen Chou no longer in the way, it allows the supply convoy to enter Bei Ping. Gongsun Zan travels west of the city and challenges Zhang Yan to a second duel. This guy won't stop fighting!

hItS8.jpg

The fight starts out pretty well for Zhang Yan. He gets a bunch of good hits in and triggers his attack stance. Almost immediately afterward though, Gongsun Zan triggers his defense stance and blocks a bunch of Zhang Yan's attacks.

s4s5F.jpg

Zhang Yan unleashes a mortal blow but it doesn't do much damage because Gongsun Zan still has his defense special up. He's got quite a bit of spirit energy now. He gets one last hit on Zhang Yan and then goes for a feign attack...

mxUlA.png

Ahaha, I love this! He follows up with a mortal blow and defeats Zhang Yan.

1SgjT.png

This time, Gongsun Zan captures him. You won't get away so easy Zhang Yan! It looks like he had a lieutenant general with him, though, and the unit remains under control of Sui Gu, who sucks big time and on his own isn't much of a threat. With the rest of Yuan Shao's army, though, he could hurt us quite a bit.

c2aov.png

Li Tong finally regains control of his unit and heads back toward Bei Ping to resupply. On the way he finally wipes out Bian Xi's unit, who has been here since Zhang Yang's initial attack, and captures him. Gongsun Kang rides out of Bei Ping with a fresh unit and attacks Yuan Shang while Gongsun Zan attacks Sui Gu.

amGq8.jpg

Gongsun Kang returns to Bei Ping and is replaced with the slightly better Gongsun Du. Du attacks Yuan Shang and pushes him away from the city. Gongsun Zan pushes away Zhou Ang's battering ram unit, which also has the potential to deal huge damage to Bei Ping. Li Tong gets confused for the fourth time.

gt1xM.png

I confuse a bunch of the remaining units. Gongsun Zan goes for Sui Gu again and Gongsun Kang almost finishes off Yuan Shao. Zhou Ang starts attacking my markets, which at least keeps him away from Bei Ping.

gS0Zi.png

The next turn, Gongsun Zan immediately challenges Gao Lan to a duel. He accepts.

k5Xof.jpg

It's a pretty even match, Gongsun Zan and Gao Lan trading blow for blow. Gao Lan gets in a good hit, which triggers Gongsun Zan's defense stance. Gao Lan does a flurry of attacks but Gongsun Zan blocks them all.

V9sb2.png

After quite a few bouts, Gongsun Zan finally has three full spirit bars. I would have attacked with three mortal blows sooner, but Gao Lan triggered his special defense stance so the mortal blows probably wouldn't have taken him out.

5EabW.png

Aha, but first Gao Lan gets the bow treatment. See how little damage the bow does when he has his defense stance up? Gongsun Zan follows up with two mortal blows and takes him down. Unfortunately, he isn't captured. Back on the battlefield, Yuan Shang starts to retreat but is chased down and destroyed by Gongsun Du.

u8zDG.jpg

Gongsun Zan heads south to take out Zhou Ang, who keeps destroying my markets and Gongsun Du attacks Gao Lan, which raises his war stat. Nice! Li Tong rides out of Bei Ping and finishes him off.

FzsWC.png

Gao Lan is another good cavalry general. Hopefully we'll be able to recruit both him and Zhang Yan.

VFs5h.jpg

Li Tong and Gongsun Du finish off Sui Gu and Gongsun Zan attacks Zhou Ang again, who's destroying all my buildings. Fuck you buddy.

jfB7V.png

Han Hao of Zhang Yang's army pays me a visit. I already know what he wants.

nOXbp.png

Nnnnnope! Nice try! Meanwhile, Gongsun Zan finally finishes off Zhou Ang's unit before he completely destroys my mint. It looks like it's time to start rebuilding. The battle reduced Zhang Yang's total troop count from around 50,000 to 28,000 and Yuan Shao's from 55,000 to 34,000. I have about 46,000 troops now and Zhang Yang's Ji is looking weak. It only has 13,000 men and very few officers. I've currently captured Zhang Yan, the backbone of Zhang Yang's army and I will meet very little resistance. After I'm done rebuilding and recruiting some more troops, I'm going to take Ji.

Let's take a look at the map.

FVis0.png

Although it looks like not much has happened since the last update, a lot is about to happen. Cao Cao captured Chen Gui's Xiao Pei, but Chen Gui is actually about to retake it. The gate that divides Qiao Mao's Chen Liu from Dong Zhuo's Luo Yang constantly switches between the two and it looks like Dong Zhuo has decisively taken it and is heading for Chen Liu. Even if Qiao Mao loses it, he's still very strong. Dong Zhuo is leading an attack on Ma Teng's Wu Wei and will likely take it. Liu Zhang is also holding in very well. He has 190,000 men, only 50,000 less than Dong Zhuo.

Hopefully I'll be able to take both of Zhang Yang's cities next game. He and Yuan Shao are both critically weak right now and it will only take me a short amount of time to recover from their attack. Gongsun Zan was definitely the VIP of that battle - I have no idea how many duels he won but it was a lot. Good job Zan!

Tigranes

Arcane
Good stuff, though you have yet to turn the corner - Wen Chou will be back in action soon, and I wonder if you'll be able to recruit Zhang Yan et al before they escape. That might mean you need to make your move on Ji pretty quickly.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm glad to see this back in action, though, I confess, all the different Gongsuns are confusing me.

We are Gongsun Du, and we now appear to command our former rival, Gongsun Zan, who is a pretty good commander.

All the other Gongsuns are pretty much retardos.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
He's pretty much in the clear, with Gongsun Zan as his primary warlord, he can recruit all his children into his force easily. The back province can really churn out the cash & support that he needs.
You should also construct the drum outside the city to increase Will per turn. This is quite useful when dealing with repeated attacks.

XenomorphII

Prophet
He's pretty much in the clear, with Gongsun Zan as his primary warlord, he can recruit all his children into his force easily. The back province can really churn out the cash & support that he needs.
You should also construct the drum outside the city to increase Will per turn. This is quite useful when dealing with repeated attacks.

That and/or some band platforms (I think that is what it is called) to raise attack. Taking Ji and placing some of those between yourself and Yuan Shao should make it easier to cut through his numbers and talent, which will probably be replenished by the time you are able to move on him.

Chapter 3: Showdown with Shao

IysVM.jpg

China is a powder keg - big things are going to happen soon. It's reached critical mass, all free cities have been taken and there's no way to expand except by taking someone else's land. In Central China, Qiao Mao and Dong Zhuo battle for control of Chen Liu. On his western frontier, Dong Zhuo faces an attack from Ma Teng. In the south, Kong Rong and Sun Jian are attacking Liu Biao. Chen Gui is about to retake his city of Xiao Pei, who he lost to Cao Cao. We've reached the point where the strong have established themselves and the weak have no chance of catching up. Sun Jian, Dong Zhuo, Liu Zhang and Gongsun Du are the winners. Everyone else will exists to be devoured.

vKUNm.png

Thing are quiet in the north for now. Liao Hua recruits Gao Lan, one of the prisoners taken in the Yuan Shao/Zhang Yang joint attack on Bei Ping. He was one of Yuan Shao's most dependable cavalry generals, but now he's one of mine. It will take a little while to build up an army, but not too long - Bei Ping has 10,000 more men than any of Zhang Yang's or Yuan Shao's adjacent cities. The attack will be soon.

F91S0.jpg

Just bizarre. Zhang Yang sends out a unit of 7,000 spearmen towards Bei Ping, leaving his city of Ji nearly defenseless. Maybe this is his desperate attempt to rescue Zhang Yan, his most important general, from Bei Ping. The time to strike will be soon after we take out Fang Yue.

VUaRI.jpg

Fang Yue approaches Bei Ping but Tian Yu rides out and confuses him, allowing Gongsun Zan to use a breach attack that kills thousands.

T7Z1W.png

At the same time, we recruit Zhang Yan, Zhang Yang's best general. He is a very good cavalry general, almost as good as Gongsun Zan, and we'll rely on him nearly as much. I award him a Leopard Bow, which will allow him to use the same feign retreat tactic that Gongsun Zan uses during duels.

om6X5.jpg

Fang Yue is easily defeated and captured. I send out an army of 28,000 to capture Zhang Yang's Ji, which only has 12,000. All of the men leading armies, Gongsun Zan, Zhang Yan, Li Tong and Gao Lan, are very good cavalry generals. We probably have enough good officers to stand up to Yuan Shao and Qiao Mao, who have a handful of top tier super generals.

4v49M.jpg

The only defense Zhang Yang can muster is Sui Gu, who is immediately defeated.

rYeaA.png

Zhang Yang sends an envoy to us once again.

wRCYv.png

He asks for us to return Fang Yue, the officer who just attacked Bei Ping. Nope, sorry. I was hoping he'd ask for a ceasefire so I could attack Yuan Shao instead.

MYzCi.jpg

The assault on Ji begins. 2,000 men are killed in the first wave of attacks. Zhang Yang's probably sweating now. I also recruit two more throw away officers, Jiao Chu and Bian Xi. Both of these guys are pretty bad, but they're better than nothing and they'll be able to produce resources on non-frontline cities.

Iv7XN.jpg

After a few more waves of attacking, Zhang Yan is finally able to take Ji from his former master. I move my men in and begin to rebuild. Although we have enough men to immediately attack Zhang Yang's last city of Jin Yang, it will leave us exposed to Yuan Shao from the south. I'll need to bolster my troop numbers enough so that Yuan Shao won't think of attacking while my main generals are away.

xqX0q.png

Han Hao comes once again to beg for the release of Fang Yue but I refuse him. Why does Zhang Yang want this guy back so badly?

awM9B.png

In July of 195, Dong Zhuo finally defeats Ma Teng. This is bad because Ma Teng had a number of very good officers; if Dong Zhuo gets a hold of those officers, he'll become even more powerful than he already is. His grasp on central china is solidifying and nobody has the manpower or talent pool to rival him.

lNcHV.png

Kong Zhou, the leader of a tiny force that is still hanging on my some miracle dies of old age.

PPQnQ.png

His successor, Liu Pi, is a former Yellow Turban and is absolutely terrible. In fact, every officer in that army is a former Yellow Turban and they just recently conquered one of Liu Biao's cities.

z6tpg.jpg

It's finally time to march. Instead of finishing off Zhang Yang, I head towards Yuan Shao's city of Nan Pi. Yuan Shao is beginning to recover from his attacks on Bei Ping. He has a lot of great personnel and if he ever gets strong enough, he could be a serious impediment to our conquest of the north. Zhang Yang will never recover and doesn't have the officers to ever do anything serious to me. It's better to nip Yuan Shao in the bud than face him at full strength. I don't know if this army will be able to actually take Nan Pi, but I do know I'll be able to weaken him.

NMGcg.jpg

The army reaches Nan Pi and faces Yuan Shao's forces. The first target is Wen Chou, the biggest threat. Everyone attacks Wen Chou, taking him down from 7,000 men to less than 3,000.

X6RWX.png

The next turn, Zhang Yan finishes off Wen Chou's unit and captures his strategist, Feng Ji. Feng Ji is one of Yuan Shao's smartest officers so this is a fairly important loss for him. Hopefully we'll be able to get him back to Ji where we can recruit him. The rest of the armies focus on Gongsun Yue, who is a solid cavalry general with the ability to shoot arrows.

f8DS8.jpg

I finish researching horse breeding in the middle of the battle, which increases the distance my cavalry units are able to travel. It's a really nice cavalry tech, but the one I'm most looking forward to is horsebows, which allows all of your cavalry units to fire arrows.

okYEL.jpg

All of my units attack Gongsun Yue, who dealt a fair amount of damage to Zhang Yan on his turn. At the same time, Cao Cao captures a second city from Chen Gui. He's expanding rapidly and will soon become a major power. Qiao Mao is also managing to hold his own, which is very surprising. I feel bad that I'm going to have to destroy him soon, because he might have actually been able to conquer the north.

7kafa.jpg

Fang Yue, who escaped from my prisons (I should have ransomed him when I had the chance!) leads an army to Ji with 7,000 men. Ji has about 21,000 soldiers and a handful of competent generals so I'm not afraid.

kP9gq.png

Gongsun Zan finishes off Gongsun Yue's unit and captures both him and his adviser, Xu You. Both of them are major contributors to Yuan Shao's army. I'd also like to recruit Gongsun Yue because he's Gongsun Zan's cousin.

43dc2.png

The same turn, Zhang Yan finishes off Yuan Shang's unit and captures both him and his adviser Li Fu. He needs to retreat back to Ji because he's running critically low on troops, but Wen Chou has returned and is causing heavy damage. If he destroys Zhang Yan's unit next turn, all of the prisoners he's captured will escape.

B7H5g.jpg

Gao Lan finishes off Wen Chou, which allows Zhang Yan to flee. The rest concentrate on a new enemy, Qu Yi, an archer general. Zhang Yan returning to Ji is a good thing. He'll be needed in its defense against Fang Yue.

pVVsM.jpg

Wen Chou returns again and charges Li Tong's unit. He deals huge damage and forces Li Tong into a duel. This is really bad - Li Tong has much lower warfare than Wen Chou and will get completely destroyed. I'll try to escape if I can.

cQyCq.jpg

Incredibly, Li Tong is actually doing pretty well against Wen Chou. Wen Chou attacks a few times but is blocked or dodged every time. Li Tong got a number of consecutive hits in and Gongsun Xu, who was also a part of Li Tong's unit, rode in to help. Xu sucks big time, but I switch him to spirit mode so he'll gain a lot of energy that Li Tong can use to disable Wen Chou. I'm optimistic about this fight. I hope that doesn't jinx it!

g7Acn.jpg

Wen Chou deals a mortal blow to Gongsun Xu. Apparently Xu never considered that he might get smashed in the face during duels.

pnSEj.png

Gongsun Xu gets three full spirit bars and transfers out just in time. Look at his health bar - you can barely even see it. Li Tong transfers back in and deals a musou attack.

6xI0Y.jpg

The attack deals huge damage but doesn't wound Wen Chou. I feel like maybe I should have used three mortal blows in a row. One more hit should wipe him out. Please don't run away again, Wen Chou!

DFkpT.png

Haha! Guan Jing, who I had forgotten was in the unit, transfers in at the last minute and lands the finishing blow on Wen Chou.

SyMem.png

After three duels, we've finally managed to capture the elusive Wen Chou. He's got terrible intelligence, political ability and charisma but his leadership and warfare are great. He forms the core of Yuan Shao's army and without him, Yuan Shao is greatly weakened. I've also noticed that Liu Bei is sending out some troops to attack Yuan Shao's southern city of Ping Yuan. He'll fail, but it might be the distraction I need to take Nan Pi.

Ekf4F.png

Gao Lan finishes off Qu Yi and Li Tong takes Gongsun Fan, who came on the battlefield with only 900 soldiers. Gongsun Zan approaches Nan Pi and begins the assault.

ti60v.png

Qu Yi reemerges on the battlefield but Gao Lan captures him as well. The rest form a circle around Nan Pi and attack.

2vBRg.jpg

Gongsun Zan's troops continue to attack Nan Pi...

XbNnR.jpg

While Gongsun Du and Zhang Yan defend Ji from Fang Yue and Zhang Yang.

NxXXR.jpg

The battle against Zhang Yang is going well. Unfortunately, Liu Bei's assault on Yuan Shao's Ping Yuan was completely annihilated, but at least it served as a temporary distraction.

deori.jpg

Gongsun Du and Zhang Yan have taken Zhang Yang down nearly 9,000 soldiers without losing a single man. Zhang Yang's city of Jin Yang has less than 8,000 men guarding it. If things go well, I may ask him to surrender after the battle.

tS8qQ.jpg

After fending off Liu Bei's attack, Yuan Shao attacks Qiao Mao's Ye, the largest city in the north. Ye is defended by 61,000 men and Zhao Yun is guarding it, but it doesn't have many other officers. Yuan Shao may pull off a victory because Qiao Mao is currently occupied with Dong Zhuo, but Qiao Mao has also been extremely resourceful and has saved his force from the verge of disaster several times. Either way, it moves Yuan Shao's armies away from me.

ol6j1.jpg

Zhang Yan and Gongsun Du finish off Zhang Yang's army and start heading back to Ji. It also looks like Yuan Shao isn't attacking Ye, but is leading a counterattack on Liu Bei's city of Pu Yang. At the same time, Liu Bei is sending more men to attack Yuan Shao's city of Ping Yuan. This is pretty crazy!

0o8u9.jpg

Gao Lan's unit captures Nan Pi from Yuan Shao. He's now down to one city and it's currently being attacked by Liu Bei. It's time to rebuild this city and try to recruit some of these prisoners though. Although our position is strong, we don't have enough officers to efficiently maintain it.

1KjK8.png

Because we have four cities, the emperor sends an emissary that appoints us governor, which allows me to bestow higher ranks on my officers. I only have a handful of officers and they've all been doing a lot of work, so a lot of them have enough deeds to get promotions. This same turn, I'm able to recruit two of Yuan Shao's strategists, Xu You and Li Fu.

ka9vQ.png

Over the next few months I'm able to recruit several of Yuan Shao's prisoners, including Qu Yi, the two Gongsuns and Su You. I'm also finally able to recruit Wen Chou, who becomes the crown jewel of my cavalry army. Things are not going well for Yuan Shao to the south. He had to cancel his attack on Liu Bei because he ran out of food before getting to his city. Half of his troops were killed from starvation on the way back. Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, Liu Bei's attacking units, didn't attack the town directly. Instead, they attacked the city's markets and farms, starving the city out. Yuan Shao is down to only 15,000 soldiers and doesn't have enough money to pay his officers. I've positioned 40,000 men in Nan Pi. Now is the time to attack.

OAKYu.jpg

Gongsun Zan, Wen Chou and Li Tong head out of Nan Pi with 23,000 men. This will be the final battle with Yuan Shao.

x6MPf.jpg

Yan Liang charges out of Ping Yuan with 5,000 men, though he's cut down by Li Tong and Gongsun Zan's horsebows (I don't have the tech yet, but all of Gongsun Zan's family members come with the ability to use them!).

ipiXT.jpg

Wen Chou easily takes out his former comrade. Gongsun Zan begins assaulting the city walls. Guan Yu attacks the city's markets from the river, although he'll probably keep going even after we've captured the city.

UOv8X.jpg

Gongsun Zan, Wen Chou and Li Tong surround the city, performing a simultaneous attack that deals extra damage.

nQLul.png

In 197, Liu Pi, Kong Zhou's successor, is swallowed by Dong Zhuo. It's not a surprise - he and all of his officers were absolutely terrible. Still, it's disappointing. Dong Zhuo wasn't able to draw resources from the cities Liu Pi occupies. Now he can and has expanded into eastern China, where Cao Cao is still battling Chen Gui and hasn't gained much of a foothold.

iUzcM.jpg

About a month later, Li Tong captures Yuan Shao's city of Ping Yuan, ending his struggle for power. We take over 20 officers captive and try to employ them. They all refuse except for one...

ukzZD.png

Zhang Yue (his real name was Zhang He, no idea what this Yue business is!), Yuan Shao's top general, submits and joins us, saving me the trouble of recruiting him later. He is an extremely good general, one of the best in the game, and played a huge role in the defense of Wei during Zhuge Liang's northern campaign. We're finally starting to recruit top tier personnel. Gongsun Zan, Gao Lan and Li Tong are solid generals, but just can't handle an army like Dong Zhuo's on their own. Instead of attacking Qiao Mao or Zhang Yang next, I may even attack Liu Bei just to get his officers.

oFEJ1.png

It seems the big winner right now is Dong Zhuo. Although I've gained two cities in this chapter, he's gained four and he's about to get Liu Biao's Xin Ye. It's almost over for Liu Biao. He's been swallowed up by Sun Jian, Liu Zhang and Dong Zhuo. It seems the final players are finally emerging. Sun Jian is the undisputed ruler of the south and will continue to expand into the north, possibly even taking some of Dong Zhuo's land. Cao Cao has a good portion of east China, although Chen Gui has managed to rebuild and solidify his position. Cao Cao will probably spend too much time fighting Chen Gui, ruining them both. Liu Zhang is holding out, although he's gradually losing ground. Dong Zhuo and Sun Jian will eat him up. The north is almost completely mine, although I still need to deal with Zhang Yang and Qiao Mao. I may want to let Qiao Mao live for a little longer to server as a buffer between myself and Dong Zhuo. I also like him ; )

The coming battles against Dong Zhuo and Cao Cao will be difficult, but it looks like we may finally have the officers required to take them down. Dong Zhuo is the big threat here. We can't stop him from expanding - we just have to get there before he does.

Chapter 4: Consolidation of the North

2AypP.jpg

Even though we finished off Yuan Shao and captured his city of Ping Yuan, Guan Yu is still hanging out in the area. Instead of letting him retreat back to Gao Tang, I'm going to defeat and hopefully capture him. He's out of will and food so he won't be a big problem.

s1NTd.jpg

Dang, even when he's hurting, Guan Yu can still take a beating. Wen Chou attacked Guan Yu and lost 700 men. This is a dude we'll want on our side.

xfI71.png

Back in Ping Yuan, I recruit a number of Yuan Shao's former officers but most importantly, Yuan Shao himself. He's pretty good all around but his most important trait by far is his fame ability, which greatly increases the amount of troops you can recruit in a single draft. Now all we need is someone with the breeder trait that increases the amount of horses you get and we're all set.

zJFuQ.png

I also recruit Tian Feng, our first officer with over 90 points in intelligence. His intelligence is 13 points higher than our current strategist, Xu You, so I replace him.

Dvzn0.png

Uh, shit. 10 officers escape from my prison. They were all trash officers so it's not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have them around. The biggest threat to my expansion right now isn't any particular force in the area, it's that I will run out of officers sooner or later. All of the prisoners remaining are very good so we didn't lose anyone too important.

OCheU.jpg

It looks like Liu Bei's dead set on getting Ping Yuan back. Gongsun Zan and Wen Chou have nearly finished off Guan Yu's unit but Liu Bei's unit of 11,000 could complicate things. I send a supply convoy down from Nan Pi to help out.

mIhoG.png

Yuan Shao recruits his former officer Yan Liang, an excellent cavalry general and Wen Chou's counterpart. We've finally got a top tier cavalry army; expect to see a lot of Wen Chou, Yan Liang, Zhang He, Gongsun Zan, Zhang Yan, Gao Lan and Li Tong in the future. These guys form the core of my force.

xOJS6.jpg

Liu Bei arrives in Ping Yuan just as I finish up recruiting the last of Yuan Shao's prisoners. Tian Feng confuses his unit and Yan Liang charges him so hard that he's forced into a duel. This could be interesting!

AGxOB.jpg

Yan Liang is a much better fighter than Liu Bei and annihilates him with each hit. Liu Bei has a horse that makes escape easy, though, so he might run away soon.

DW5pw.jpg

Liu Bei attacks Yan Liang with a mortal blow attack that hardly deals any damage. Nice try.

GlHNc.jpg

Liu Bei's adviser, Yi Ji, rides out and gets thoroughly pummeled. Liu Bei returns and the beating continues. Just as I feared, Liu Bei flees.

nXsBZ.jpg

But Yan Liang's not having it! He charges Liu Bei to catch up.

XEJ6U.jpg

Haha, you tricky son of a bitch, Liu Bei. Could this be poetic justice? Yan Liang takes pretty heavy damage and is wounded. His warfare goes down to 74 but I'm still confident of a victory.

iBmjb.jpg

Yan Liang finishes him off with a mortal blow and ends the fight.

cenXZ.png

Interesting! We've captured the warlord Liu Bei! It might be fun to execute him, but he's pretty good and could serve us well later. If we want his oath brothers Guan Yu and Zhang Fei to serve us in the future, we've got to keep him alive for now. I free him and he returns to Pu Yang, leaving Yi Ji, a very weak but intelligent general, in charge of the army he left behind.

evK7A.jpg

Zhang He finishes off Yi Ji's unit. Liu Bei now only has 15,000 men left in Pu Yang. It might be a good idea to attack him soon before someone else does.

urqDh.jpg

But now is not the time for that. Zhang He, Zhang Yan and Yan Liang set out of Ji to attack Zhang Yang's final city of Jin Yang. Now that I think about it, we really attacked Yuan Shao at the most opportune time possible. He had just recovered from his attacks on us, but instead of attacking us, he attacked Liu Bei. It went really badly and we arrived just as he was defeated.

vpN0N.jpg

Haha, awesome. Zhang Yang is sending a man through Qiao Mao's territory to attack Ping Yuan, a city that has 44,000 soldiers. He probably won't even get there.

c3R99.png

Liu Biao is finally wiped out not by Dong Zhuo or Sun Jian, but Kong Rong. Kong Rong has been sending armies to attack Liu Biao the whole game. Most of them have failed miserably, but it looks like one of them has actually finally won. Kong Rong's AI seems to be extremely aggressive, but also fairly smart this game. Maybe he'll hold on for a while.

FFpAN.jpg

My army reaches Zhang Yang in Jin Yang and deals huge damage to him. The battle is almost over before it even began because he chose to send his army to attack Ping Yuan. He has nobody left to defend.

5x9wo.jpg

Qiao Mao makes the mistake of a lifetime: he sends men to attack Ping Yuan. I wasn't actually going to fight Qiao Mao because he's serving as a buffer to Dong Zhuo and he's actually been pretty successful so far. That's over now. Once I finish off this army, I'm going to take his city of Ye and take him out for good.

VE7gK.jpg

A couple huge battles are going on right now and Cao Cao seems to be at the center of all of them. It seems he's finally hit his stride. Dong Zhuo is attacking Qiao Mao's city of Chen Liu. This is nothing too exciting because it's been a constant assault - Dong Zhuo always attacks Chen Liu and Qiao Mao always holds it. This time is different though: Cao Cao is joining the attack. This will be too much for Qiao Mao to handle and he'll lose the city. Hopefully not too many of his men are taken captive and the best retreat to Ye, which I'll take soon.

exTe2.jpg

Cao Cao is attacking one of Chen Gui's ports. Cao Cao's capture of Chen Gui's Xiao Pei and Xia Pi may have actually been a good thing. It's allowed Chen Gui to consolidate and cement his power over a piece of land much easier to defend. He's recruited a number of very good Wu generals and will hold out against Cao Cao - at least for a while. Chen Gui will win this one.

8cVOC.jpg

Cao Cao is personally leading an attack on Dong Zhuo's Ru Nan. If he's successful, this will be the first time anyone has taken anything away from Dong Zhuo. I'm almost afraid to root for him. Another interesting thing to note is that Cao Cao somehow managed to recruit Lu Bu. He was defeated in the attack on Chen Gui, but he will no doubt play a major roll in Cao Cao's rise to power.

2NZv4.jpg

Right now, the most important battle is Qiao Mao's attack on Ping Yuan. Gao Lan, Wen Chou and Li Tong all ride out and deal huge damage to Pan Feng, Qiao Mao's vanguard unit.

WLAbI.jpg

At the same time, Zhang He, Zhang Yan and Yan Liang destroy the walls at Jin Yang.

LT4lf.jpg

Wen Chou is an absolute powerhouse. He charges Zhang Xun's unit and deals nearly 10 times more damage than he receives. This battle is going extremely well. Qiao Mao won't have much left to defend Ye with. I feel kind of bad for him, he did such a good job against Dong Zhuo.

8srPD.jpg

Gao Lan finishes off the last of Qiao Mao's attack force. At the same time, Dong Zhuo captures Qiao Mao's city of Chen Liu, which Cao Cao is still attacking. Things aren't looking good for him.

FMfKZ.jpg

Zhang He captures Jin Yang from Zhang Yang and takes his men prisoner. Most of them are pretty bad.

UepHT.png

Zhang He recruits Zhang Yang the next turn. After all of the prisoners are recruited, I'll send my generals back to Ping Yuan and attack Qiao Mao's Ye.

ouNqf.png

The emperor appoints Gongsun Du to the position of general. Good! I've got a lot of officers who need promotions.

ulqrf.jpg

We also finish researching horse bows, which allows my cavalry units to fire bows.

ueAQn.jpg

It's finally time. Wen Chou, Gongsun Zan, Li Tong and Qu Yi head out of Ping Yuan to attack Qiao Mao's last city of Ye. Gao Lan also captures Liu Bei's port of Gao Tang.

uWIS4.jpg

But that's not all. Gongsun Du personally leads an army to Liu Bei's Pu Yang, which only has around 25,000 men.

uLfIJ.jpg

Pan Feng rides out of Ye but gets completely annihilated. He is the only resistance. Both he and his adviser Xin Ping are captured. Gongsun Zan and Wen Chou reach Ye and begin attacking.

RR7hq.png

Zhang He captures Wang Can on the Yellow River just north of Liu Bei's Pu Yang. The others begin attacking the port just outside the city. Zhang Yan takes it but Zhang Fei retakes it immediately afterwards for Liu Bei.

udXZV.jpg

Gongsun Du's army fights to take Liu Bei's port of Dun Qiu. Gongsun Zan at Ye is having tremendous success and the city will fall soon.

oPWRt.jpg

Yan Liang takes the port, allowing the rest of Gongsun Du's army to flood in and attack the city.

13P89.jpg

Guan Yu and Zhang Fei storm out of Pu Yang and deal huge damage to Zhang Yang. He retreats back to Dun Qiu and lets Yan Liang take his spot with fresh men. The rest attack Guan Yu's unit and take him out.

FRqtZ.jpg

Wen Chou lands the final blow on Ye, capturing it and taking Qiao Mao's forces captive.

mjWvv.png

Qiao Mao had a number of great generals that I try to recruit immediately. Yuan Shao successfully recruits Zhao Yun, one of the great heroes of Shu.

shnPW.png

Zhang Yang recruits Zhou Tai.

8QXCc.jpg

Back in Pu Yang, Zhang He challenges Zhang Fei to a duel. The battle looks heavily weighted in favor of Zhang Fei, but Zhang He has a few tricks up his sleeve. I gave him a sword that greatly increases the spirit he gains for each action as well as a bow that will let him use feign retreat. I also gave him a horse that always retreats successfully. We may need to use it, but at least we won't lose Zhang He.

QV9g5.jpg

Zhang Fei's strategist, Yi Ji, rides out. This is what I was counting on. Zhang He switches to spirit, gets a few quick hits in and greatly increases his spirit.

0mp3n.jpg

Zhang Fei's hits do a huge amount of damage to Zhang He, but also fill up his spirit bar quickly.

e5zef.jpg

Zhang He uses a musou attack that lowers Zhang Fei's war by 20 points. The tables have turned! Zhang He was originally below Zhang Fei by 10 points, but now he's above by 10 points!

ZAKkT.jpg

He's not done yet though. He feigns retreat and shoots Zhang Fei with his new bow.

zEbmV.jpg

Zhang Fei hits Zhang He with a spirit attack that wounds him, lowering his war by 20 points.

JNkHk.jpg

Zhang Fei gains a sudden burst of spirit energy and unleashes a quick series of attacks that take out Zhang He. Looks like this battle didn't go as well as I thought it would! Still, I'm not too worried about this battle. Gao Lan, Yan Liang and Gongsun Du take out Guan Yu's unit again, avoiding Zhang Fei.

dUL7M.jpg

Uh oh. Gao Lan charges Zhang Fei and triggers a duel. This might be bad! Hopefully Zhang Fei will still be weakened from his previous duel.

2HLf6.jpg

Haha, he is, but Zhang Fei did steal Zhang He's items.

stFej.jpg

Zhang Fei still deals heavy damage but it doesn't even matter. As soon as Gao Lan gets enough spirit, he'll destroy Zhang Fei.

U0reS.jpg

Gao Lan goes for a mortal blow and knocks Zhang Fei off his horse.

UE3c2.png

Zhang Fei is captured, although Yi Ji still leads the unit and Zhang He hasn't been freed yet.

d5KSm.jpg

Gongsun Du attacks Yi Ji but isn't quite able to finish him off.

T1yWi.png

Meanwhile, I'm able to recruit a number of the prisoners in Ye like Ju Shou and Qiao Mao himself.

WFlb8.jpg

Gongsun Du, Yan Liang and Gao Lan surround the northern wall of Pu Yang and begin attacking. I've lost way too many men in this battle.

nVwsy.png

I also recruit Qiao Mao's Xun Yu, who is the most intelligent officer I have right now. I make him my strategist.

oincZ.jpg

Gongsun Du's army continues to attack Pu Yang while taking heavy casualties. Liu Bei constantly reinforces Pu Yang with more soldiers. I'll need to send a second wave of men to the battle.

sBBp7.jpg

Zhang He arrives at Pu Yang with fresh troops and leads a surround attack that deals heavy damage. At the same time, I finish recruiting all of the prisoners at Ye - more than 25 people.

SZCAx.jpg

Gao Lan lands the final blow that takes Pu Yang. Liu Bei and his men are taken captive.

bNqhU.png

Except for Kong Rong, everyone remaining is fairly powerful. Liu Zhang controls a large amount of territory but has lost 150,000 soldiers and continues to squander his resources on attacks that fail. Sun Jian has his a roadblock and hasn't expanded in quite a while, although he is currently attacking one of Dong Zhuo's cities. Cao Cao has expanded greatly and has won a number of major battles against Chen Gui, who has little hope of recovering now unless Cao Cao redirects his attention to me or Dong Zhuo.

I'm now the undisputed ruler of the area north of the Yellow River and my only city that's actually adjacent to anyone else is Pu Yang. This means that every single city I have can focus on production of troops and horses. It looks like my next two targets will be Kong Rong and Cao Cao. Kong Rong won't be a problem but Cao Cao has grown very strong. I have 200,000 men, half of what Dong Zhuo has but more than any of the other lords. I'm looking forward to some intense battles with Cao Cao and Dong Zhuo!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think Cao Cao is about to get hit hard. He's right in the thick of it. Would be fun if you take over control of him. Not sure if you can recruit. But Chen Gui shouldn't be much of a problem. Anyway, I can't wait for your liege to die and you appoint someone else more capable of leading the war from the front.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom