Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are so many Jap games I am interested in next year...

Appollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy - January 25
Dragon's Dogma II - TBA
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - April 23
The Legend of Heroes: Trails Through Daybreak - Summer
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth - January 26
Metaphor: ReFantazio - TBA
SaGa: Emerald Beyond - TBA
Unicorn Overlord - March 8

giphy.gif

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

After 100 years new mainline Neptunia title.

Compile Heart announces seven new titles – Madou Monogatari 4, Touhou Spell Carnival, and more

New management structure in place as of October 1.
Sal Romano
Oct 5 2023 / 5:00 AM EDT

Compile-Heart-Games_10-05-23_Calamity-Angels_001-320x180.jpg

Compile Heart has announced its transition to a new management structure as of October 1, with Naoto Tominaga serving as president and Hikaru Yasui as director, as well as announced seven new titles currently in development.
Tominaga is a former Compile member, and also worked at Capcom, TAITO, Eidos, Ubisoft, and Electronic Arts, where he led game production and development, marketing, new business development, department management, and more, both in Japan and overseas. He has worked at Compile Heart parent company Idea Factory since 2020, where he has handled a wide range of duties.
Hikaru Yasui previously worked on a number of RPGs and simulation games as a producer at Sting, including games like Blaze Union: Story to Reach the Future and Hexyz Force. After leaving sting, he worked in the social games industry before joining Idea Factory in 2020. He recently was the producer and director for both Neptunia: Sisters VS Sisters and Neptunia Game Maker R:Evolution.
With a new management structure in place, Compile Heart aims to maintain its same stance of chasing the niche market, while also expanding its scope to include not only Japan but overseas markets, as well as multiplatform development. It will also create games in more genres than ever before.
The five new titles announced are as follows:

TODOKERO! TATAKAE! CALAMITY ANGELS

Todokero! Tatakae! Calamity Angels is a delivery-themed RPG for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC. It will launch for consoles in Japan in summer 2024, followed by PC via Steam a little later.
This slapstick-style game will feature voluptuous, cute, and comical characters designed by Kei Nanameda, and story and gameplay that revolves around various personality types like moe and airheads.
Compile Heart also conducted interviews with the Japan Post during development.
Todokero! Tatakae! Calamity AngelsTodokero! Tatakae! Calamity AngelsTodokero! Tatakae! Calamity AngelsTodokero! Tatakae! Calamity AngelsTodokero! Tatakae! Calamity Angels

TOUHOU SPELL CARNIVAL

Touhou Spell Carnival is a tactical RPG developed in cooperation with Sting for multiple platforms. It will launch in spring 2024 in Japan.
The game features character illustrations from Touhou Project reborn with a Compile Heart-like aura by Katsuyuki Hirano.
The story revolves around a 30-day Spell Card Battle in which many characters participate, with battle and story parts alternating.
The game itself will combine the bullet hell of shoot ’em ups with tactical battles. This includes incorporating familiar elements from shoot ’em up games, such as high-powered bombs. Battles are real-time.
Touhou Spell CarnivalTouhou Spell Carnival

UNTITLED SHOOT ‘EM UP GAME​

A genuine shoot ’em up game developed in cooperation with M2. It will launch for unannounced platforms in late summer 2024 in Japan.
Character designs for the pilot and company have a Compile Heart-like aura.
This will be a brand-new title with some never before seen challenge elements.
Compile Heart Shmup GameCompile Heart Shmup Game

MADOU MONOGATARI 4

Madou Monogatari 4 is the first new numbered entry in the RPG series Madou Monogatari after several decades, developed by Sting in cooperation with intellectual property holder D4 Enterprise. It will launch for unannounced platforms in summer 2024 in Japan.
Many former Compile staff are involved in the game’s development, including Sting’s president. SEGA is also cooperating, allowing the use of familiar characters such as those from its Puyo Puyo series.
Madou Monogatari 4Madou Monogatari 4Madou Monogatari 4

DEATH END RE;QUEST CODE: ZION

Death end re;Quest Code: Zion is a spin-off entry in the Death end re;Quest series due out for unannounced platforms in summer 2024 in Japan.
The story is connected to Death end re;Quest and Death end re;Quest 2, and will feature new elements that Compile Heart is able to challenge due to the fact that this game is a spin-off.
Death end reQuest Code ZionDeath end reQuest Code ZionDeath end reQuest Code Zion

UNANNOUNCED NUMBERED DEATH END RE;QUEST TITLE​

A new, numbered entry in the Death end re;Quest series is currently in planning alongside Death end re;Quest Code: Zion. However, since a numbered entry requires more time, the spin-off will release first.

UNANNOUNCED NUMBERED NEPTUNIA TITLE​

A new, numbered entry in the Neptunia series is currently in development for unannounced platforms.
As Compile Heart’s flagship series, the company is taking its time on development. For about two years, key staff members such as producer Naoko Mizuno and illustrator Tsunako have been shaping the game’s content, and a direction has finally been determined.

frajaq

Erudite
so how was this game? dont see threads about it here, unless its not considered an JRPG

dbUWYQj.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Death End Request is my jam. I hope whatever comes next in that series is more like the first entry and less like the second.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
so how was this game? dont see threads about it here, unless its not considered an JRPG

Generally, people here are a bit more restrained and don't make as many hype threads as in GRPG.

Anyway, this one's on my list to play soon. I'll try to remember to make a thread about it when I do.

I mostly try to make threads only after I've played games for a bit, but your question has invigorated me to thinking that maybe we should have more hype threads in here in the first place.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

dbUWYQj.png

There are 2 people playing in the last jrpg you played thread, you can probably discuss there. This is on my wishlist but Nipponese dev has been retarded with regional pricing so I will have to wait for discount.

That being said impressions seems to be a Musou game for mobs + souls-lite for bosses with Fate coatings so I don't think it will be very popular in the Dex

Jinn

Arcane
It actually sounds pretty good. Not usually a big fan of NoisyPixel reviews, but just watched this one and it was pretty well-written. Gave a good rundown on what to expect.

I'm completely ignorant of the Fate series, so this might have to be my first foray into it.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
so I don't think it will be very popular in the Dex

Funny but some of the most popular threads on Codex tend to be those that feature the least 'Codexian' themes.
Don't worry about what you think might be popular here, everyone is about as normie as it gets. They just like venting here, so it creates a different atmosphere.

Modron

Arcane
I don't know anything about this series but 4 games were just dropped on steam:

River City Rival Showdown port has unresponsive controller input and needs work apparently.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first three are old DS games. I have them on Switch. I also have Mercenary Wings, but haven't played yet.

Super small budget Final Fantasy Tactics is the only way to describe the three first games.

Jinn

Arcane
I played I think the first two games in the original tetralogy. I remember enjoying the media-spanning consistency in the storytelling, but remember the gameplay being extremely dull - which I guess makes sense because it was supposed to be a representation of MMO gameplay.

Am I misremembering, or was I just missing something back then? This was literally right when they came out, so a long time ago. I'd probably be willing to give them another go.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played I think the first two games in the original tetralogy. I remember enjoying the media-spanning consistency in the storytelling, but remember the gameplay being extremely dull - which I guess makes sense because it was supposed to be a representation of MMO gameplay.

Am I misremembering, or was I just missing something back then? This was literally right when they came out, so a long time ago. I'd probably be willing to give them another go.

No you got that right, it's just MMO grind the single player game. It's thematically consistent at least, but either you get into the grind of that style of thing or not. I liked it when I was younger, but I also used to no life MMOs. Not sure I could do it these days.

lightbane

Arcane
Were the GU games better in that regard regarding grinding? I still have to play them.

Jinn

Arcane
Since it doesn't have its own thread, I guess I'll post this here. Got QUESTER since it was on sale for half off, but am sadly going to have to refund it. I didn't realize the dungeon was randomly generated, and that's just a big no-no for a dungeon crawler in my eyes. Shame, because enjoyed most everything else about it.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Peaceful female's weapon of choice is a pistol please tell me she has an improvised explosive skill.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
And I noticed something else - the character designs are nicely painted (which doesn't mean they're good in themselves), but on the conversation screen they look worse than Neptunia.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Since it doesn't have its own thread, I guess I'll post this here. Got QUESTER since it was on sale for half off, but am sadly going to have to refund it. I didn't realize the dungeon was randomly generated, and that's just a big no-no for a dungeon crawler in my eyes. Shame, because enjoyed most everything else about it.

Really? My map appears to be the same one shown on the store page, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. I guess I could try starting a new game and seeing if it changes. If true, it's a bit unfortunate on the dev's part.

Jinn

Arcane
Really? My map appears to be the same one shown on the store page, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. I guess I could try starting a new game and seeing if it changes. If true, it's a bit unfortunate on the dev's part.
I tested it myself, though not extensively. Would love to be proven wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom