Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

911 Jumper

Educated
More signs that an FF9 remake is in the works?

FFXIV has become heavily reliant on memberberries over the past several years. Starting with the Stormblood expansion, rather than due new original lore raids, they started doing rehashes of iconic FFs. In Stormblood, you had the Tactics wanking with the Return to Ivalice raids (with Matsuno being heavily promoted as the writer of that storyline) and the SNES FF nostalgia with the 8-man raid series where you fight SNES FF bosses like Exdeath, Kefka, etc. The next expansion, Shadowbringers, was about milking FF8 and Tactics Ogre nostalgia. With Endwalker it was FF4 wanking. And with the upcoming Dawntrail, they announced that the alliance raid would be yet more wanking of prior FF games (in this case, 11) instead of original content. With the announcement of the FF9 minions, I'm guessing the raid or patch trials will be FF9 wanking.

911 Jumper

Educated

FFXIV has become heavily reliant on memberberries over the past several years. Starting with the Stormblood expansion, rather than due new original lore raids, they started doing rehashes of iconic FFs. In Stormblood, you had the Tactics wanking with the Return to Ivalice raids (with Matsuno being heavily promoted as the writer of that storyline) and the SNES FF nostalgia with the 8-man raid series where you fight SNES FF bosses like Exdeath, Kefka, etc. The next expansion, Shadowbringers, was about milking FF8 and Tactics Ogre nostalgia. With Endwalker it was FF4 wanking. And with the upcoming Dawntrail, they announced that the alliance raid would be yet more wanking of prior FF games (in this case, 11) instead of original content. With the announcement of the FF9 minions, I'm guessing the raid or patch trials will be FF9 wanking.

It's one of the reasons why I laugh when people say Japanese companies like Square Enix are back and firing on all cylinders. Most of these companies are getting by by re-visting the past via remakes and/or tapping into people's nostalgia through in-game references to past games in pre-existing games.

911 Jumper

Educated
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Special Talk Session 植松伸夫×野島一成×野村哲也 (42 minutes / English subs)

deuxhero

Arcane
I think I-Mode stuff isn't actually Java, it's proto smart phone. The guy behind that translation already confirmed on Steam forums he plans to make a translation for First Mission and there's already a translation of the main script from playthrough footage.

I think I-Mode stuff isn't actually Java, it's proto smart phone. The guy behind that translation already confirmed on Steam forums he plans to make a translation for First Mission and there's already a translation of the main script from playthrough footage.
Good on him.

Elttharion

Learned

First game is pretty good. I didnt like the second one and they toned down the fanservice/gore quite a bit due to pressure from Sony. Looking at the images they showed this one has some very dark scenes. Will keep an eye out, I am cautiously optimistic this can be good.

911 Jumper

Educated
Shin Megami Tensei series character designer Kazuma Kaneko leaves ATLUS after 35 years, joins COLOPL
Kazuma Kaneko, who is known for his character and demon designs across the Megami Tensei series, left ATLUS in 2023 after 35 years and has joined COLOPL to develop a new intellectual property.

The news comes via a newly published creator interview with Kaneko, in which it is revealed that the new project is an original title that depicts a worldview created by Kaneko, and that the “game experience” will incorporate the latest technology.
Source: Gematsu

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
QUESTER OSAKA is out of early access and released with English support:

This is a new game, and not an enhanced version of their first game?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. Thinking of checking it out.

I mean the game is some sort randomly generated Dungeon Crawler. I played the first game and this one is different setting while adding new Classes/Features and such. Considering the genre I don't think there are significant enough plot to worry about

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Osaka Quester is a new game, yeah. Also they're not actually randomly generated, but the layouts change up some aspects between runs.

Quester just passed its first anniversary, and both games got a big update to celebrate it. The first one in particular got some massive QoL changes like being able to pick your party at the start and lock items like you can in Osaka, and Osaka got a new character to recruit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom