Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proof why Avellone is superior to any rpg dev

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
J_C said:
I think he has a lot of good ideas. A dev like him doesn't forget how to make interesting games. The problem is, that in this day and age, you can't take risks in the industry with an AAA game, because the publisher won't support your game. If I'd told Avellone, that "here is X milion dollars, make the RPG of your dreams, don't mind how much it will sell", I bet we would get a game as good as PST.
Good ideas are worthless if you have them locked away in a box somewhere. Talented people work within the limitations they're given and there are always limitations. If he truly wanted to, he could make the RPG of his dreams as a hobby as Sawyer tried to do (before he burned out) or leave Obsidian outright as Mitsoda did, but no, he wants to play in publisher-land.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Roguey said:
. If he truly wanted to, he could make the RPG of his dreams as a hobby
I doubt he could do that as a hobby, without resources.

Roguey said:
but no, he wants to play in publisher-land.
This is called making a living. He won't get money from hobby projects.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Avellones writing didn't decline at all since Planescape. In fact he got technically even better. Creativitly not so much though. KOTOR2 is the only game since then he had full creative control over.

That and Dead Money which didn't disappoint.

Also my ignore list is in love with this thread!

torpid

Liturgist
Josh Sawyer > Avellone

One of them knows how to actually design a game.

Salvaging the FO3 engine and making a decent Fallout game > creating a crappy spy RPG from the ground up, or waxing grimdark in Starwars

r00fles!

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
torpid said:
Josh Sawyer > Avellone

One of them knows how to actually design a game.

Salvaging the FO3 engine and making a decent Fallout game > creating a crappy spy RPG from the ground up, or waxing grimdark in Starwars

r00fles!

Nope

1. Avellone wasn't a member of the Alpha Protocol team till late in development. (When Aliens was cancelled)

2. Codexer defending a clichee herp derp setting just to have some reason against Avellone. classic.

:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
J_C said:
I doubt he could do that as a hobby, without resources.
He could make a mod or find people to help him out, plenty of options he chooses not to pursue.

This is called making a living. He won't get money from hobby projects.
The existence of independent RPG developers suggests otherwise.

IronicNeurotic said:
Avellone wasn't a member of the Alpha Protocol team till late in development. (When Aliens was cancelled)
Not correct, he became lead designer in 2008 when the total rewrite happened, and Patrick Mills said nearly all the spoken dialogue in there came from him. Can't really give him too much blame for how it plays though...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Maybe it's because developer work is tiring as hell and unlike Josh Sawyer, he knows he would become burned out if he would do a second project as a hobby?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's true, but I'm saying if he didn't like what he was doing and was just dying to make his dream RPG full of all the wonderful ideas he's not putting in the games that are actually being released, he'd quit his job and form TripleBear or something. He seems pretty content to be where he is right now.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Avellone wasn't a member of the Alpha Protocol team till late in development. (When Aliens was cancelled)
Not correct, he became lead designer in 2008 when the total rewrite happened, and Patrick Mills said nearly all the spoken dialogue in there came from him. Can't really give him too much blame for how it plays though...

Aliens was cancelled in 2008 my friend. (at least stopped working)

Also, yes. And the dialouge was awesome for what it was set in (which is evidenced by people like Marburg and Brayko (who is modeled after a real archetype and brings it across). Yet, the setting was set before. Most of the initial charachter designs/documents was done before. Gameplay has been worked on before.

Thats not "from the ground up".

Also Mitsodas "Double Bear" endavor and him beeing happy with it is probably more a cause of him beeing able to work with Annie. So certain things just don't matter to him as much.

:love:

And again, Avellone doesn't suck. He did what he wanted and put it in with Kotor 2 and Aliens: Crucible.

Sadly, one got publisher raped (because he still wanted to get everything he wanted in which resulted in a fuck up to finish the game. Which means he fucked up there as a manager. Not as an artist) and the other cancelled.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IronicNeurotic said:
Positive about that? Because the layoffs happened in February '09, and the NDA they have was supposed to expire this month. If they did stop working on it before it was officially canceled, that's just funny.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Roguey said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Positive about that? Because the layoffs happened in February '09, and the NDA they have was supposed to expire this month. If they did stop working on it before it was officially canceled, that's just funny.

Time to bombard Sawyers formspring with questions about Crucible then.

Exmit

Scholar
2311020.jpg

No one ever told Hines NOT to smile? :lol:

Radisshu

Prophet
Gragt said:
I hope he never comes here.

Anyone willing to post this on the Obsidian forums?

You don't think he reads teh Codex from time to time? I'd post this on his Facebook log, only I wouldn't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lady Death Avellone's been posted there before. But has this?
rockyavellone5is.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom