Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proof why Avellone is superior to any rpg dev

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Tim Cain cleans up pretty good
UMjRF.jpg

Konjad said:
sorry Codex, but Pete looks very handsome on that pic
:decline:

:incline:
qYe8k.jpg

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
That's exactly what I look like when I smile.

In before "Andyman Messiah confirmed as Pete Hines alt!"

Angrak

Novice
After hearing him talk about torment a while it becomes clear why he's never done anything worth a damn after. It was a combination of pure luck and an awesome setting that made it a great game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wouldn't say pure luck, he obviously had a long list of RPG-gripes and used Torment as a dump for all of them The problem being that he hasn't really come up with any more since then. Also he was fat.
zjjg9u.jpg

Fatellone right there, front and center. Doctor said he was so unhealthy he would die and thus Musclleone came to be.

Exmit

Scholar
Why 90% of people in that pic look like 'oh god i'm a fat rpg developer , please kill me now'

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Roguey said:
I wouldn't say pure luck, he obviously had a long list of RPG-gripes and used Torment as a dump for all of them The problem being that he hasn't really come up with any more since then.
I think he has a lot of good ideas. A dev like him doesn't forget how to make interesting games. The problem is, that in this day and age, you can't take risks in the industry with an AAA game, because the publisher won't support your game. If I'd told Avellone, that "here is X milion dollars, make the RPG of your dreams, don't mind how much it will sell", I bet we would get a game as good as PST. This is true for a lot of good developer by the way. Brian Fargo himself said in a recent interview, that in a big studio, you can't make any game you want, you have to make something that is profitable.

Let me add that while PST is the biggest success of MCA, let's not forget that his studio made one of the best RPGs in the last decade, Mask of the Betrayer. They shouldn't be ashamed of New Vegas either. But it is true that they (he) could not surpass PST.

Johannes

Arcane
J_C said:
Let me add that while PST is the biggest success of MCA, let's not forget that his studio made one of the best RPGs in the last decade, Mask of the Betrayer. They shouldn't be ashamed of New Vegas either. But it is true that they (he) could not surpass PST.
Then again none of those have good enjoyable combat.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
J_C said:

I don't know (or care) about MOTB but Sawyer was in charge of New Vegas and some mexican did the bulk of the writing. Fagellone does not deserve credit for it.

Angrak

Novice
J_C said:
Roguey said:
I wouldn't say pure luck, he obviously had a long list of RPG-gripes and used Torment as a dump for all of them The problem being that he hasn't really come up with any more since then.
I think he has a lot of good ideas. A dev like him doesn't forget how to make interesting games. The problem is, that in this day and age, you can't take risks in the industry with an AAA game, because the publisher won't support your game. If I'd told Avellone, that "here is X milion dollars, make the RPG of your dreams, don't mind how much it will sell", I bet we would get a game as good as PST. This is true for a lot of good developer by the way. Brian Fargo himself said in a recent interview, that in a big studio, you can't make any game you want, you have to make something that is profitable.

But there's nothing done in torment that doesn't fit in with current crop of craptastic games. If anything torment is almost a template for them, romanceable characters, psychotherapy simulation, lots of cut scenes and story. His monologuing almost sounded like herp derp I'mma do like the opposite of a typical rpg herp derp. It worked out but seeing the simplistic reasons for many of the features and the fact they turn out well for reasons not intended makes me think it's just a fluke.

You could easily have nwn 2 and kotor just as awesome as torment (combat system is not great in nwn 2 but hardly worse than torment) but they pale in comparison, including motb which I didn't even think was much better than the original game.

For game mechanics I think you can argue what Brian Fargo said but I think there's a lot more to it than that. It's not really even about sales but simpler development paradigm and less dependence on programmers.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mastermind said:
J_C said:

I don't know (or care) about MOTB but Sawyer was in charge of New Vegas and some mexican did the bulk of the writing. Fagellone does not deserve credit for it.

bro, some of the ideas that sawyer had for Van Buren that are in NV, came from MCA's P&P sessions right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom