Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post a screenshot of your first RPG

Mortmal

Arcane
Meanwhile i found a video of mandragore on a TO7 , that pretty neat. TO7 were french computers installed in schools after an extremely expensive governement plan, of course completely outdated when the schools received them.More or less comparable to a C64, an inferior machine still on every aspects.

pippin

Ubisoft and Activision are probably the oldest gaming companies still going on right now. It's both scary and weird.

Mortmal

Arcane
Scary indeed, compare the graphics of the last assassin creed syndicate to their humble game beginnings. Never thought such games could be possible one day as a kid.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
2560px-Colossal_Cave_Adventure_on_VT100_terminal.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oh, text RPGs? OK, played one of those actually. Never got very far, but it was immersive as hell. (Czech too, made for our clone of ZX Spectrum and later for DOS)

2-belegost.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah! i found the first french rpg , its "oubliette" 1983 :

oubliette_2.gif
oubliette_1.gif
oubliette_3.gif

well maybe not, just the name is french...

MrJohnson

Educated
play-fallout-1-on-windows-7.png

Fallout 1 Demo, couldn't read english yet, because dirty foreigner and like 7 or 8 years old. Got a translated version of Fallout 2 a year later and played it like hell.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oubliette is the game that inspired wizardry 1. sir-tech never credited them of course.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what game is this?
2430007-3079302075-20713.jpg

what game is this?
3435234.gif

what game is this?
564405-545006_20040506_010.jpg

what game is this?
EOB.jpg

what game is this?
Swords_and_Serpents_NES_ScreenShot3.gif

what game is this?
111478-might-and-magic-vi-the-mandate-of-heaven-windows-screenshot.jpg

what game is this?
6630.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what game is this?
krondmap.gif

what game is this?
10771-pagan-ultima-viii-dos-screenshot-the-story-starts.gif

what game is this?
lufia09.jpg

what game is this?
legend_of_faerghail_003.png

what game is this?
LordsOfDoomOMuAni.gif

what game is this?
950820725-00.jpg

what game is this?
Dungeon_hack_05.png

what game is this?
90rkac.jpg

what game is this?
UWStygian3b.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The hell, man, how do you not know what some of these are?

this is my first rpg:
dw1nes_006.jpg

i played dragon quest 1 when my grandparents gifted me an NES when i was six or seven years old. i did not have a computer until one year before graduating high school. i was not aware of non-japanese rpg's until a friend loaned me a copy of BG2 and FO1 when i entered university.

i played both to death and over the intervening 10 years afterwards i've dedicated only to playing post-FO1 crpg's. when i got married a few years ago i stopped playing game altogether, except for a brief stint with ni no kuni on the ps3. now that i am divorced i have a lot more free time to re-discover the rpg's i've missed throughout the years. :)

the first rpg i've played and finished that was pre-FO1 era (i classify western rpg's in my mind as pre-FO and post-FO) was... the remake of wizardry 3 on the snes. the first dungeon crawler i ever played was elminage: gothic. both of these events are very recent.

the first DOS rpg i've ever played is the one i'm playing right now: dark heart of uurkrul.

as for jrpgs? i've played every single one of them until i got sick of them around the ps2 era.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
3435234.gif

6630.jpg
Same game, Betrayal in Antara. Like Betrayal of Krondor except worse.

EOB.jpg
Eye of the Beholder.

111478-might-and-magic-vi-the-mandate-of-heaven-windows-screenshot.jpg
Probably Might & Magic VI. If the recycled the portraits in VII, it might be that one as well.

krondmap.gif

This is the map screen in Betrayal of Krondor. One of the best RPGs of its time.

10771-pagan-ultima-viii-dos-screenshot-the-story-starts.gif
Ultima 8. Don't bother.

950820725-00.jpg
Lands of Lore perhaps?

Dungeon_hack_05.png
Dungeon Hack. Roguelike thing, I believe.

90rkac.jpg
I'm just guessing for Lands of Lore and this one, but, Ishar?

UWStygian3b.jpg

Ultima Underworld. :rpgcodex:

I grew up with JRPGs too, in fact most of these games are older than my brother. I just learned this through osmosis.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
holy shit you're the man siveon!

i have a notepad file with a small list of DOS rpgs that i'm going to play soon:

ultima 4 ad 5 (although i'm considering going for the ultima 4 master system remake instead), and i'll add the 'betrayal at...' games to it now before i forget.

throughout the years here on the codex i've seen BoK name-dropped quite often so it seems a safe bet. should i play Antara as well? the screenshots look beautiful to me for some reason i can't explain. i've always loved those kind of rough pseudo-polyogonal sprites ever since i played Out of This World and Flashback.

eye of the beholder is another one i've been aware of since time inmemorial but if i understand correctly its gameplay is the same as legend of grimrock, right? i tried out LoG when it came out and found the tango-of-death real time gameplay possibly the most unenjoyable and stupid combat system i've ever tried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom