Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post a screenshot of your first RPG

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I guess it was mandragore, on C64
Mandragore_d'Infogrames_pour_Commodore_64_%28exploration%29_%282%29.jpg

Saduj

Arcane
Temple of Apshai for C64 has been previously pictured and that was my first CRPG. Ultima III for C64 has also been previously posted and that was first CRPG that really blew my mind.

I just looked it up and both were released in 1983. Doesn't seem possible considering how vastly superior Ultima III was. There must have been a 2-3 year gap between the my playing of each but back then it seemed so much longer...

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Console/JRPG (not sure which one was actually first):

final-fantasy-mystic-quest-03.png
68806-Final_Fantasy_Legend_III_(USA)-6.jpg

PC RPG:

331044-baldur-s-gate-windows-screenshot-a-shipwreck-at-the-aptly.png

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I guess it was mandragore, on C64
Mandragore_d'Infogrames_pour_Commodore_64_%28exploration%29_%282%29.jpg
wow beautiful game.
This one an ultima 3 inspired french rpg, something rare enough to mention, done by a brother and sister. The graphics are stunning for its era.Luckily there still some screens on gamopat site, and Tilt is still archived in abandonware site.

Here's the advertisement we could read in the magazine back then in 1984 when i had natural teeth and still some hair. Notice the game wich is a pure rpg won the "best arcade game " award from the ministry of culture, yes our politics were already that incompetent for pretty much everything:

ob_6424cb_mandragore.png

And here's the test i the prestigious magazine tilt, now defunct:

ob_7ec7dc_mandragore.png

ob_89210e_mandragore-002.png
ob_497778_mandragore-003.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Cool! I love old game magazines. Too bad I can't read any of that.
zzapgcpfun.jpg

zzapgcpfve.jpg

So not a great score on this english magazine, but some other testers rate it as high as 4 stars/5. Remmber too this was an era where above 50% was good.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Might_magic3.jpg

Ishar_2_-_Messengers_of_Doom_%28AGA%29_2.png

ultima-6-conversation_599x370.gif

I dont remember which 1 i actually played first :S

i was very young when i played these games >.<

btw ishar was fucking terrible :P

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So not a great score on this english magazine, but some other testers rate it as high as 4 stars/5. Remmber too this was an era where above 50% was good.
He also thought the grafics were nothing amazing. Sure very colorful but oddly drawn. :M

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not a particularly good game, for sure, but its exploration part (looking/asking for key items) is much better than in any Obsidian/Bioware's game with their sequences of badly integrated intrusive checkpoints.

Mortmal

Arcane
He also thought the grafics were nothing amazing. Sure very colorful but oddly drawn. :M

Its an english reviewer , you cant expect a fair trial from an englishman, we are speaking about the perfidious albion .They always envy us and our refined culture , jealousy tend to to this. They often did that, for exemple little big adventure was trashed by reviewers just for being made by french (branded as a gallic torture) .But now they are replaced by muslims , its all fine, no such rivalry.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Not a particularly good game, for sure, but its exploration part (looking/asking for key items) is much better than in any Obsidian/Bioware's game with their sequences of badly integrated intrusive checkpoints.

idk, it's hard to compare games from the early 90s to modern games but even compared to the games that came out during that time ishar games were literally worse in every way to games like ultima underworld/might and magic 3/4/5 or even a game like thunderscape ect(im sure theres others that are better too :) )

too much annoying shit in the ishar games like the time limit in 3 or no automap in 1 and the fact all 3 games used the same shtty engine with the locked camera(some people probably prefer that for blobbers but not me :o)

and how can i forget the people you would recruit that would turn on you and steal your shit constantly

Stella Brando

Arcane

My god! I thought I would never find out what this game was! Me and my brother had it on an early "CD rom" with seemingly hundreds of other games.

My brother would always talk about the "in-VENT-ory," rather than the "IN-vint-TORY." Whenever I see the word inventory I still imagine him saying that.

I also played a lot of fighting fantasy books:

2mhikk7.jpg

Last edited:

Mustawd

First RPG ever was a complete accident. It was LOTR shareware version when I was a kid. Dropped it like it was hot after I kept dying. Of course this was in the same era as DOOM I and II, so my mindset (as an 11 year old) was not setup for an RPG.

lord_004.png

lord_017.png

lord_037.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Looks like one of those indie pixel art styles with spagheti limbs that is so popular these days.
I guess It was the first french cRPG developped in 1986, by Infogrames...

Yes i think so another one i can remember of is Fer&Flame , release date was 1986 too probably a little bit later.

z1833a.png
z1833b.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom