Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post a screenshot of your first RPG

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fowyr i looked at your thread and you listed the bad wizardries instead of the good ones as 'must plays'.

stopped reading.

wiz 1-5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> wiz 6-8
I love Wiz4, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Even less than some other games from first part of list.
Also, from Wizardries that I played, Wiz7 > Wiz6 > Wiz 4 > Wiz 1 > Wiz 8 :troll:

You wanna have a go, m8? I'm not a freakin' Pokemon. ;)
Damn my eyes, indeed. At least I not called you SIlveon like it was before edit. :M

I should get back to Antara, I really did like the combat in BoK.
Why everyone on this page is calling BaK "BoK"? :M

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i find wiz 3 and wiz 5 to be the best representations of true wizardry, with wiz 6-7-8 to be good games but not deserving of the wizardry name as they share nothing in common.

i'll copy/paste something i wrote in another thread that illustrates this:

"wiz 1-5:

- vancian spell system promoting careful management and usage which adds to overall tension during exploration
- save only in town (unless you're playing one of the remakes, or on an emulator)
- general healing, levelling-up and magical spell restoration only possible back in town therefore increasing the danger, tension and feeling of total immersion while exploring the dungeons
- death can be permanent and costs vitality during resurrection (if it succeeds at all otherwise the character is lost forever)
- limited inventory that promotes resource management
- intellectually designed dungeons
- loot is tied to dungeon levels and not to enemies promoting exploration; fuels need to reach just one more floor for better loot
- healing and other resources are scarce
- loot itemization is scarce and everything you find feels rewarding to get and use
- very sparse backstory and plot development as the focus is entirely on exploration of the dungeons

wiz 6-8:

- magic points-based spell system similar to your average JRPG
- save anywhere
- death has no consequences whatsoever
- can Rest anywhere and levelup anywhere eliminating sense of danger or tension while exploring
- combat layers are reduced as a result since you can rest and heal after any combat without worrying about having to return to town
- inventory is not unlimited but every character has approximately 20-40 item slots available at any time
- no management or strategical thinking necessary in regards to resource consumption or spell usage
- areas are extremely large and mostly poorly designed and listless with little in the way providing challenge of navigation or interesting exploration
- loot is no longer tied to dungeon floors and instead is tied to enemy-types and is also found in out-of-combat chests, just like in an JRPG
- healting and other resources are plentiful reducing most of the tension while exploring
- loot itemization is typical "monty-haul" with the player finding mundane loot non-stop right from the beginning
- non-stop info-dumps of badly written prose and badly written NPC's as the focus is entirely on seemingly random fetch-quests in order to unlock areas"

to be fair to wiz 8 however it is a better game overall than 6 or 7 even if its systems were neutered to the point of simplicity just because it lacks Bradley's trade-mark cheeto-stained fingerprints.

edit: and of course wiz 4 is its own unique beast that shares almost nothing in common with any other game in the series.

- you don't receive XP
- the game is not about finding better loot
- the focus is on dungeon navigation and exploration and puzzle-solving
- no control over your party member's actions
- disguised forms of time-limits implemented such as trebor's ghost's pursuit of the player

wiz 4 is its own thing, and all the better for it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
i find wiz 3 and wiz 5 to be the best representations of true wizardry, with wiz 6-7-8 to be good games but not deserving of the wizardry name as they share nothing in common.

i'll copy/paste something i wrote in another thread that illustrates this:

"wiz 1-5:

- vancian spell system promoting careful management and usage which adds to overall tension during exploration
To be fair, it's not pure vancian. Vancian magic needs memorization. :M
- save only in town (unless you're playing one of the remakes, or on an emulator)
It just promotes quick raids to dungeons.

- limited inventory that promotes resource management
Wiz6 and Wiz7 have pretty limited inventory as well, and half of it usually filled with quest items.

- intellectually designed dungeons
Most of Wiz6 and Wiz7 dungeons were great.

- loot is tied to dungeon levels and not to enemies promoting exploration; fuels need to reach just one more floor for better loot
Best loot in WIz6 and Wiz7 is from chests that promotes exploration as well. Loot from monsters usually just a bunch of potions or useless baselard.
- very sparse backstory and plot development as the focus is entirely on exploration of the dungeons
Same with Wiz7 if you consider overworld as big dungeon. :M Story is here and there, but there is always focus on exploration.

wiz 6-8:
- magic points-based spell system similar to your average JRPG
Should we consider M&M1 JRPG too? :troll: At least different kinds of mana in Wiz6-8 were great.
- save anywhere
It's plus in my book.
- death has no consequences whatsoever
Afair, it decreases vitality.
- can Rest anywhere and levelup anywhere eliminating sense of danger or tension while exploring
Rest is very, very ineffective in Wiz7 and prone to random encounters. Can't remember for Wiz6.
- inventory is not unlimited but every character has approximately 20-40 item slots available at any time
40? Afair, 24.
- no management or strategical thinking necessary in regards to resource consumption or spell usage
Big battles beg to differ.
- areas are extremely large and mostly poorly designed and listless with little in the way providing challenge of navigation or interesting exploration
:what:

- loot is no longer tied to dungeon floors and instead is tied to enemy-types and is also found in out-of-combat chests, just like in an JRPG
...Chests that bound to dungeon floor and most of the time guarded by monsters nearby.
- healting and other resources are plentiful reducing most of the tension while exploring
If you constantly buy it? Yup.
- loot itemization is typical "monty-haul" with the player finding mundane loot non-stop right from the beginning
At least it's not Geneforge's 31313 useless items that cost 1 gold. :troll:
- non-stop info-dumps of badly written prose and badly written NPC's as the focus is entirely on seemingly random fetch-quests in order to unlock areas"
Just press space to skip text. :troll: Wizardry had some fetch-quests too (black ribbon, afair. Or was it another item to unlock elevator?). And Wizardry 4 is one big big big "fetch-quest to unclock area" puzzle.
to be fair to wiz 8 however it is a better game overall than 6 or 7 even if its systems were neutered to the point of simplicity just because it lacks Bradley's trade-mark cheeto-stained fingerprints.
Wiz8 had very unmemorable dungeons.

EDIT: Fuck, just saw edit.

edit: and of course wiz 4 is its own unique beast that shares almost nothing in common with any other game in the series.

- you don't receive XP
- the game is not about finding better loot
- the focus is on dungeon navigation and exploration and puzzle-solving
- no control over your party member's actions
- disguised forms of time-limits implemented such as trebor's ghost's pursuit of the player

wiz 4 is its own thing, and all the better for it.
I can add only "amen, frater."

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
398162-space-warp-trs-80-screenshot-the-gameplay-screen-enter-your.png

Does Space Warp count as an RPG?

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i bet most of the people arguing over wizardry games never even played those games, they were all boring as fk

sit in a room alone making your own maps pretending to play dnd by yourself grinding out levels killing the same enemies over and over for hours, ultimate anti social game

gestalt11

Arbiter
dnd_1e_new_full.jpg

:smug:
(cover was deferent though)

This was the one I had:

PlayersHandbook8Cover.jpg

My sister was talking about how Ted Cruz is awesome because he has the Constitution memorized. I said "So what? I had the entire 1st Edition Monster Manual memorized when I was 12 years old. The Constitution is pretty short ... does Ted Cruz know an ogre had 4+4 HD? " She was not particularly impressed. I took that as a sign of moral degeneration.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was gonna post my first RPG, but I then I saw some "Grade A" shitposting in this thread and decided not to. Especially the constant "what game is this?" crap.

But what Fowyr said is gold. If Undertale is your first RPG and you've signed upon the RPG Codex - begone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom