Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr proceeds like Mab, but along the other side of the chamber.

nikolokolus

Arcane
It takes a full turn (10 minutes) per ten square feet to rigorously explore (1 sqaure on the map). Thus it would take about 2 hours to carefully search the ground and walls to the west and about a 1.5 hours to explore the eastern edge of the cavern. I'll make rolls secretly to determine success or failure. It might be worth noting that it's probably around midday. In the midst judging exact time is difficult, but collectively this seems like a good guess; dusk is probably about 4-5 hours off.

The walls of the cave radiate a preternatural cold and are rimed in ice. As the ceiling dives closer to the floor the stalactites are now clearly seen to be icicles rather than made of stone. Otherwise the walls appear to be a natural cave.

Urash cautiously walks up to the pool and takes a sling bullet offered to him by Mab and tosses it into the pool. Nothing changes; the water still roils and churns as it did before and thick gouts of yellow gas continue belch into the cavern at irregular intervals. Urash chances to look down and notices a chilling sight. The sandy ground around the pool is littered with bones. Some are cracked and splintered, others still retain bits of flesh and fur.

Additionally the air seems very unwholesome to Ker and Mab (your abilities gained in the "First Mysteries" would logically extend to your ability to also detect foul air as well as water) the affects of remaining here for any great length of time are difficult to judge.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. With the amount of time it will take to do a proper search do you still want to do an inspection of the area around the edges Grimgravy and Wayward Son? Do other people want their characters to spend time exploring other areas or try to do other things - set up ambushes, lay traps, whatever else you can think of.

While the group spends time exploring, Brule digs around in his pack and pulls out a short length of rope salvaged the hunter's lodge. He loops one end around his left wrist and makes a noose out of the other. He then walks carefully beside the pool scanning the ground for something.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I'll still search the eastern wall area. At least until or unless someone mentions a better use of my time.

nikolokolus

Arcane
About an hour goes by as people walk around the cavern searching for anything noteworthy and prepare themselves for whatever might come. Everyone but Rhenmyr seems fixated on the pool and they take up positions in readiness for the appearance of Blaidd Mawr (however that might be).

During Rhenmyr's search he finds something wedged in between some rocks near the back of the cave: A well-crafted bronze torc braided with silver wire. It's heavily tarnished and green with age, but it looks like it could be cleaned up.

Unfortunately as time passes it becomes increasingly obvious that the noxious fumes are starting to take a toll on everyone.

Everyone roll a saving throw. If you pass you take no damage, otherwise you take 1 HP of damage.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr checks the area around the torc and if nothing seems amiss, he retrieves it.

"How do the ambush preparations fare?"
will roll when I get home.

edit

To Save: [1d20] = 1

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Save [1d20] = 18
Waking up from what seems to have been an awake dream since they left the tomb, Ker gets his bearings and walks up to the Torque using his cloak as mouth protection.
"Wait before you try it on. I've heard stories of cursed helmets that crash their wearer's head slowly when they put it on. Let's have a closer look first."
Ker looks around for anything out of the ordinary then quietly cast Detect magic on the torque.
Sorry for being late! Lets get dat wolf :shittydog:

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Yeah, after the ring in the tower, I'm not keen to just put on strange fashion items."

Helly if you're identifying stuff, we've got a number of things for you to check out as well.

nikolokolus

Arcane
can I attempt to set a snare and if so, what would I roll?

Only Thieves and Assassins have a class ability called 'set trap' that allows them to improvise simple or elaborate traps from found objects (the saving throw roll is the skill roll).

However in general anybody can try to improvise a trap as a 0-level thief, except you are limited to simple traps. In short, describe the kind of trap you'd like to create (a pit, a snare, etc.) and then I'll roll a d20 in secret to determine if it's viable or not. A natural 20 means the trap is a critical success and will be more difficult to avoid or more deadly, while a natural 0 indicates a fumble and you spring the trap on yourself.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Where do you want to set it?

Edit: By that I mean you can copy the map, put a red 'X' in a square of your choice and upload the image.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I want to place it across the entrance to the room we're in with the pool in case it tries to escape and to give us warning if it tries to sneak in. I hope that's specific enough, I'm away from my computer rn so I can't photoshop the map.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab retreats to the narrows where the stream is trickling in from. Carefully he takes a bight of rope and forms a broad noose, laying it into the stream and weighting it with a couple of loose stones. He takes the other end and hammers in a couple of spikes -- one deep into the cave wall and the other only lightly into the floor. He loops the rope around the spike in the floor a couple of times and a draws the other end up and over the spike in the wall. From the loose end he suspends a heavy boulder with the aid of Boric and Brule.

With any luck the wolf (if it decides to flee) will trip the noose and the spike in the floor should hopefully give way, which in turn should lift the wolf into the air when the boulder comes crashing back down to earth.

This takes a considerable amount of time and effort and another hour passes. Everyone needs to make another saving throw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom