Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric will roll for danger.

Once I get to a system.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr and Borric take up positions just outside the fissure and peer into the darkness straining to pick out details and sense any imminent danger.

Neither of you can see anything and all you hear is the sound of water pouring into the darkness and hitting a pool some hard-to-judge distance below - at least twenty, maybe forty feet down.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Second we see the monster, I'll Faerie Fireit to make it easier to hit. Then, Borric can stab it really, really hard."

L'ennui

Magister
Urash whispers, looking all around suspiciously: "Must we really go down there? Trudging through water in darkness seems ill-advised, when we could foreseeably wait for it to come out for its nightly rapture, and fell it in this very spot."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I'm none too keen on more confined spaces, but Borric is correct. If if gets past us here, it can run off through the air. I think it better to confront it where its mobility is limited to where we can actually strike it."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Man of Kor, if it is the darkness that worries you, perhaps one of our druids can set alight a torch with their magic fire, while the other druid keeps his spell ready against our foe."

Wayward Son

"I've a lantern, and a flint and steel. We can light it and keep our spells ready for use."

nikolokolus

Arcane
All I need is somebody to tell me if/when their character is doing something that is "actionable" -- casting a spell, rapelling, throwing a flask of flaming oil, whatever

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab is lighting his lantern.
Does that have a roll?
Not when there is no chance/consequence for failure.
Mab spends about a minute striking flint and steel to get a small tuft of packed tinder going in the palm of his hands and lights the wick to his lantern. The light is unexpectedly weak and almost washed out of any color; casting a pale almost gray light around the edge of the cave.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Cheery...do you mind bringing that over here? Maybe it will light up something of interest."

Wayward Son

"Well, if it may help. Gladly." Mab shuffles cautiously toward Rhenmyr, making sure not to make too much noise. He then hovers the lantern over in the area.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab holds the lantern up to the mouth of the cave and the darkness seems to swallow the light. However some thirty feet down you can see a faint reflection of the light wavering on the surface of pool. The stream from the fens cascades into rocks just above the pool and feeds it. No other features are visible from this distance.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Brule nods at Rhenmyr and takes up a free end of rope and wraps it around the tree's bole and runs it behind his waist and grips tightly, "I'll lower you." He hesitates for a second before continuing, "I honestly don't know if you should take a lit torch or attempt stealth. I'll leave that for you to decide."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I'll go as far as the lantern illuminates without a torch and then decide how to proceed." Rhenmyr secures himself with the other end of the rope, salutes with spear in hand, and steps over the edge.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr holds on to the rope and walks backward into the abyss, straddling the narrow stream that plummets into the dark.

With only minimal difficulty he is able to pick his way down the less than vertical cave wall.

Rhenmyr is now standing in a pool of waist deep water surrounded by darkness.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The water streaming down from above crashes into the side of the cavewall and drowns out all other noises. It's not a large stream by any means, but it is steady. The way the sound echoes around you leads you believe that the cavern you are standing in is rather large -- or at least larger than you expected based on the cave's narrow entrance.

Where you are is barely illuminated by the irregular lantern light streaming down from above. As you sit in the darkness your eyes start to adjust to the low light and you think you are standing in the middle of a pool, as the water doesn't feel like it's moving much.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr climbs back up to get a torch. Being deaf and blind to potential enemies seems like a bad idea.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr takes up a torch and lets Brule lower him back down the 30 feet to the pool. As he descends the dimensions of the cave start to resolve themselves.

The cave Rhenmyr is standing in appears to be a small cyst with a short tunnel leading to a much larger space. This chamber below the fissure that Rhenmyr descended is only about 20 feet wide. A black sandy beach, surrounds a small 10 foot wide oval pool that drains out to the north. The foul black water runs in a narrow stream through a short, low passage leading from this area to a larger grotto beyond.

Rhenmyr strains to make out any details through the narrow tunnel leading out of here, but noxious clouds of yellowish vapor billow out and obscure your vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom