Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
but , but SOULWEAPONS ( also retardoproofed for any build!!! )

Even a Pathfinder fan like Grunker thinks PoE's weapon feats are too restrictive.

Equipment in RPGs regardless of quality means almost nothing to me. Sure I can acknowledge that x has better equipment than y, but it's never something that bothers me or that I think about much (unless there's some element to it that's really obnoxious).

Atchodas

Augur
*sigh*

P.S.
Your signature is always good to see tho makes me giggle every time i mean EVERY TIME

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Someone on SA posted this about the quest structure - which is something I was complaining about, and it is without a doubt 100% true as far as I can recall, every quest I can think of methodically follows this structure with my own edits in a different font.

exquisite tea said:
The questing structure in general could use a little more imagination. Basically every one I've done so far has followed this exact template:

1) Accept quest
2) Go to area, kill or take a thing (e: or talk to someone)
3) Discover new piece of information that CHANGES THE GAME
4) Return to quest giver with new information, marry/fuck/kill
5) (e: if you did not resolve the quest with the quest giver, return to other person of interest for resolution)

Now, writing or C(&C) aside - this is lame.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The quest design is about as creative as the encounter design.

Now, writing or C(&C) aside - this is lame.
C&C is lame too, granted I didn't get to the first big city and beyond but I doubt it gets much better

I knew what I was in for after talking to the hunter and the widow in town, going back to valewood to clear the map with a party then getting the ghost conversation in the bear cave thinking "oh damn, they were packing their shit in a hurry, probably gone by now. Guess I'll get them later" but they never leave gilded vale.

Also the letter of confession only spawns on the guy's tent after the town mayor asks for evidence :lol: (Not to mention that quest step seems broken, you don't get an option to hand the letter. This was even in 1.04)

Atchodas

Augur
Your supposed to read the letter after you talked with them in gilded vale it spawns after you visited gilded vale , it doesnt even fuckin spawn if you kill the guy when you first meet him ... that quest is very very lame like the rest of the game tho .

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Honest Hearts is to New Obsidian what Throne of Bhaal was to Bioware (i.e. establishing a template in an expansion they would follow in all their subsequent games). :M

Rake

Arcane
Honest Hearts is to New Obsidian what Throne of Bhaal was to Bioware (i.e. establishing a template in an expansion they would follow in all their subsequent games). :M
Figures they would choose the lamest DLC of the four as a template...

Tsk, Obsidian wasted their 100th update on random crap: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/1280358

Was hoping it would be an expansion release date announcement at least.
Update is marked as 99.5 on Obsidian's forums.
BAdler even stated:
badler said:
Yeah, well... it feels like we should do something more significant with update 100, ya know? That being said, Kickstarter will label this as 100 automatically. Nothing I can do to change that.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80551-update-995-lords-of-the-eastern-reach/#entry1709507

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was important to point out where to get the patches for box-havers.

Too bad they overlooked reiterating what they said on the forums and twitter about how if your box is damaged, they'll send you a new one.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"We definitely need another PoE review."
"If so, we need to dial up the GOTY. It has to produce maximum butthurt among the Roxorites, otherwise it's not worth it."

First, that came from our private discussion (which someone apparently can't keep his trap shut about).

Just so you know, that stupid thing that we said was in a ~private~ conversation.. So it doesn't count and your not allowed to hold us accountable for it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
He genuinely thinks the codex is some kind of american court where he can get out on technicality and somebody here gives a fuck about how the information was acquired.

Ninjerk

Arcane
vatnik.png

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
According to steam achievemnts only 10% of players have finished the game. Less than half have even done Act 1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wouldn't call it dumb if they feel satisfied enough by the hours they put in.

JES once asked some of those pollsters that and they said the question never occurred to them.

I imagine the person who drops a game when it starts feeling like it's not going to be fun anymore might derive more enjoyment from them than the person who soldiers on through bad/boring/unpolished content to see it through to the end. :M

Ninjerk

Arcane

JES once asked some of those pollsters that and they said the question never occurred to them.

I imagine the person who drops a game when it starts feeling like it's not going to be fun anymore might derive more enjoyment from them than the person who soldiers on through bad/boring/unpolished content to see it through to the end. :M
While I have you here, is there a repository for Josh's funny playtester anecdotes?

Fry

Arcane
I imagine the person who drops a game when it starts feeling like it's not going to be fun anymore might derive more enjoyment from them than the person who soldiers on through bad/boring/unpolished content to

The point is you can look at achievements for any game (at least any sizable RPG) and you'll find very low completion numbers. It doesn't say much about the game other than that most people are unwilling/unable to complete long games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are there that many? :cry:

Does he mostly post them on paywalled fora?

I don't think there are too many, it's just that they'd be scattered across SA and badgame.

Here's the ones I remember http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-to-the-new-thread.75947/page-88#post-2281253 (Brian Mitsoda) http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/is-bethesda-inclined.96429/page-2#post-3687924 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...vellone-arcanum-lp.80476/page-22#post-2591482 (New Vegas)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are there that many? :cry:

Does he mostly post them on paywalled fora?

I don't think there are too many, it's just that they'd be scattered across SA and badgame.

Here's the ones I remember http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-to-the-new-thread.75947/page-88#post-2281253 (Brian Mitsoda) http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/is-bethesda-inclined.96429/page-2#post-3687924 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...vellone-arcanum-lp.80476/page-22#post-2591482 (New Vegas)
There's just something so disturbing and, at the same time, satisfying about reading these. It's like Real World/Road Rules/Big Brother for video games.

DemonKing

Arcane
I finally finished earlier this week - overall I feel it falls on average into the slightly disappointing category. It seemed to me that they wanted to provide a familiar Forgotten Realms type gameworld but with a Planescape Torment style story. In comparison BG had a relatively simple but satisfying storyline with a Bio-Twist for good measure.

The combat was not as enjoyable or tactical as the older IE games although I did enjoy the variety of different types of magic (although some casters felt distinctly more useful than others). Not awarding XP for trash mobs was a poor choice though as there are so many trash mobs in this game.

Very little equipment felt unique and the crafting system was awful. I don't get the fascination people have with crafting. For me, crafting is better reduced to NPCs that can produce unique items with the right ingredients (eg The Smith who can make Ankheg Armour in BG) than something players should be doing in the midst of an adventure.

The Stronghold and megadungeon were largely forgettable. I invested in a prison early on thinking how much fun it would be to capture people and ransom/interrogate/execute them but nothing came of it at all...the one person I captured ended up escaping so it just seemed pointless.

The graphics and most of the music/SFX were great though and it will be interesting to see where Obsidian can go with this engine in the White March and beyond. I also liked the reputation system. I think there are some solid foundations there for a great game but sadly it's just not this one.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I invested in a prison early on thinking how much fun it would be to capture people and ransom/interrogate/execute them but nothing came of it at all...the one person I captured ended up escaping so it just seemed pointless.
Yeah, had it happen to me. After the prisoner escaped, I went back to the stronghold to talk to my gaoler and ask him what the fuck happened, how does he explain that a highly dangerous sociopath is now on the loose, all those things. And none of these options were available, no dialogue about it whatsoever. Fucking ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom