Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
All these goals are already "in-game", for lack of a better term, even if the campaign didn't reach them, they would still be there at release. That's the vibe I get from the entire campaign, they are there as a means to create hype and PR.

That makes no sense. The whole process may look artificial, but these are real money being poured into the game. There's no way it would have all these features if it was missing $4 million from the budget.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
That makes no sense. The whole process may look artificial, but these are real money being poured into the game. There's no way it would have all these features if it was missing $4 million from the budget.
BUT MUH CODEX CYNICISM!!!!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
BTW is it just me, or is that ship kinda... ugly? Blocky hull with a big lumpy aftcastle, no forecastle to speak of, and rigging that's just... odd.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F7fab63a01ccb4785%2F4ad3654a4ab95d60%2Fca81299e1197ffe4%2F0c0c2274d615088a

Compare:
fg1.jpg

sloop.jpg

navy_sloop.jpg

38c6dd6d07e85dc8c29c5657b42e1fba.jpg

Renard800.jpg

Those are completely different types of ships. The one in the video looks to be a carrack or crude galleon, of 16th century kind. The other ships you posted look like sloops, which are newer and mostly built for speed, while galleons were meant to transport things and be armed. They probably used this ship as an inspiration. It's odd however it doesn't have a forecastle like carracks and galleons would have, it also doesn't have enough sails for a ship its size, combination of two makes it look like an oversized and disproportional caravel.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F1036d94899008cb8%2Fa574a0d08e775d05%2Fa86b28a07eba25f7%2Faab83b1132f70521

The first fair-skinned female companion - I guess we won't see as many complaints about romances anymore!

Jesus Fucking Christ, why do artists always get rapiers wrong? That's not a rapier, that looks like a fencing foil from 19th century, rapiers from Renaissance area are long (Over 40") and have flat blades, I am so triggered about this, it's like having a short broadsword and calling it a claymore.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
5 million feels genuinely impossible to me.

Well they are opening up PayPal through their backer portal after the campaign, and that should easily bring in more money from plebs who don't have a credit card or those that were lazy and forgot to pledge in time...
Are they going to include the stretch goals in those funds? Some crowd funding campaigns do (like Shenmue 3 off the top of my head) while others don't.. I believe POE 1 did but I can't remember because I'm baked as hell right now.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can definitely see them finishing on 4.5 and slacker backers getting to 5 million over the course of a year. Who knows how the final 24 hours goes really.

2house2fly

Magister
So 3 trips to those Drowned Barrows. Might have preferred another island.
The drowned barrows really seem to be the centrepiece of the thing that this point.

All these goals are already "in-game", for lack of a better term, even if the campaign didn't reach them, they would still be there at release. That's the vibe I get from the entire campaign, they are there as a means to create hype and PR.
If they don't get to 5 million we'll see won't we...

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

I would like to see Fulvano find a graveyard of shipwrecks by the tip of an island sunk on coral that we can board and maybe the hull is flooded during high tide but the water goes down enough during low tide to explore. Maybe one of the shipwrecks could be fixed up and becomes one of the new ship types for the 4.0 million stretch goal or one of the shipwrecks is haunted by pirate ghosts or you can find a treasure map to follow. Also would like the 3.75 stretch goal of more islands to explore be separate from Fluvano's Voyage of finding more places to explore so there is even more places to sail.

In White March there was a diving helmet you could find I think it was from a stronghold quest item but it would be really neato if we could get 5 of them and explore the sea bottom or even explore flooded sea caves.

With only $200,000 roughly to go to hit 4million and 20 hours left that stretch goal will surely be met and an intelligent weapon at 4.25 could be a cool companion if it has a good background.

Randal, you need to have been on the Codex for 1 year to be able to use those icons.

okay thank-you for this information but after today when I logged in I had something like 60+ notification alerts of one member going to all my posts since I joined giving me the pile of poo graphic and later in the day the graphics have been removed, even my hearts. I think it has been removed for everyone because of the abuse of using these graphics by this member after being reported.

Thanks,
Randal

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
today when I logged in I had something like 60+ notification alerts of one member going to all my posts since I joined giving me the pile of poo graphic

Its always funny when someone takes the time to do something like that. Which one of the autistics here poo'ed you?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
It was me paco. I was doing the same to Awesomebutton, mostly because he would always do it back, and it made me laugh.

Br00TCn.gif

edit: Also they added 20K 50K in fig funds bringing total to 3.935 3.965 million. Must really want to be at 4 million for a morning update.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

The one in the video looks to be a carrack or crude galleon, of 16th century kind. The other ships you posted look like sloops

That's because they called it a sloop. "Your ship is a Dyrwoodan sloop called the Defiant, purchased for you by the Steward of Caed Nua." It's also rigged like a sloop (if you're generous about it), carracks and galleons are three- or four-masted. And it's not like Obs has been shy about a little anachronism before.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I long for days of anonymous one-off PayPal payments. Sadly I can't throw my dollars around.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question about Fulvano's Voyage and the map they've released. Do you think that we will visit an island and be able to access all the things there or we will have to 'follow the map' and like we are in the drowned barrows dungeon and then in order to access the depths we would have to sail to the southwest to get a key that would open the depths? I wonder if there will be ways to break the sequence if so or if it will be linear...

Prime Junta

Question about Fulvano's Voyage and the map they've released. Do you think that we will visit an island and be able to access all the things there or we will have to 'follow the map' and like we are in the drowned barrows dungeon and then in order to access the depths we would have to sail to the southwest to get a key that would open the depths? I wonder if there will be ways to break the sequence if so or if it will be linear...

Willing to bet it's free exploration. That's the base design model for the campaign, it'd be strange if they broke from it with Fulvano's voyage.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Willing to bet it's free exploration. That's the base design model for the campaign, it'd be strange if they broke from it with Fulvano's voyage.

Maybe or maybe it will be a series of clues that lead you from one location to the next.

FreeKaner

The one in the video looks to be a carrack or crude galleon, of 16th century kind. The other ships you posted look like sloops

That's because they called it a sloop. "Your ship is a Dyrwoodan sloop called the Defiant, purchased for you by the Steward of Caed Nua." It's also rigged like a sloop (if you're generous about it), carracks and galleons are three- or four-masted. And it's not like Obs has been shy about a little anachronism before.

In that case it's a similar situation with rapier I complained about. That ship doesn't look like a sloop in the slightest.

Prime Junta

In that case it's a similar situation with rapier I complained about. That ship doesn't look like a sloop in the slightest.

Other than the rigging, no, it doesn't, and the rigging is a bit of a stretch too. The hull could be a very ugly cog but those were square-rigged. And anyway they're going for the pirate vibe, and pirates mean fast, sleek sloops. This one isn't. Which is precisely my complaint.

With you about the rapier too, even though at least they didn't make it look like a cutlass like in D&D3. It looks like some kind of rapier at least...

e857742a08354c3d1ee2b36147502540.jpg

FreeKaner

Other than the rigging, no, it doesn't, and the rigging is a bit of a stretch too. The hull could be a very ugly cog but those were square-rigged. And anyway they're going for the pirate vibe, and pirates mean fast, sleek sloops. This one isn't. Which is precisely my complaint.

With you about the rapier too, even though at least they didn't make it look like a cutlass like in D&D3. It looks like some kind of rapier at least...

e857742a08354c3d1ee2b36147502540.jpg

Is it supposed to be a pirate ship? I mean pirates would use whatever they had, usually ships smaller than frigates because it would be impossible for them to capture anything of the sort so they used merchant vessels and if they were lucky a brig that was given privateer "rights", in the Mediterranean xebecs also perhaps, which were rigged in similar way but would not be in that shape. In case of PC and his companions to me it sounded like they don't have a ship for piracy purposes but rather travel, a caravel or a carrack would make sense as late medieval and early Renaissance ships, depending on how much wealth PC had.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom