Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The break even point for this game isn't 3 million, I'd say it's more like 4-6 million, if I was playing bingo I'd call it 4.5.

Pillars of Eternity cost 5-6 million total and this looks noticeably cheaper than that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Feargus in charge of having a spine.

80k average for salary?! :lol: The game was made by largely junior staff, and even seasoned developers who've been in the industry for years would be pretty happy with 80k.

I dunno about the games industry, but 80K is way on the low end for an experienced programmer in California.
Yeah but game devs are content earning less and working more in general because muh dream of making vidya gayms.

Besides 80k average is p. far-fetched because the game staff seems to be mostly recently-promoted interns as it was mentioned.

J1M

Arcane
Now that Obsidian's latest release Tranny has shown that real-time-with-pause games are over, it's good to see them converting this one to a turn-based design.

Prime Junta

The break even point for this game isn't 3 million, I'd say it's more like 4-6 million, if I was playing bingo I'd call it 4.5.

Pillars of Eternity cost 5-6 million total and this looks noticeably cheaper than that.

"Noticeably cheaper" is an understatement. The bestiary is tiny. They reused a lot of the animations and minor assets. There are far fewer maps. Most spells and abilities are really simple. Even if Tyranny was built from scratch, it would've been a lot cheaper than Pillars, and it wasn't: it got the engine for free, and making that must have taken a very significant slice of the budget.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

"Noticeably cheaper" is an understatement. The bestiary is tiny. They reused a lot of the animations and minor assets. There are far fewer maps. Most spells and abilities are really simple. Even if Tyranny was built from scratch, it would've been a lot cheaper than Pillars, and it wasn't: it got the engine for free, and making that must have taken a very significant slice of the budget.
alot of items icon are the same as pillars. like the potion bottles, the jewels, ingredients, etc.

Fry

Arcane
Tyranny animations are better. Other than that, yeah, they didn't spend a ton of cash on it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wish some of that animation budget had gone into portraits for important NPCs instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...06905&pagenumber=892&perpage=40#post466748013

LSHTiGW.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Good to hear. Bouncing effects worked perfectly (or well, well enough) in IE, their behaviour was incredibly weird in PoE

Prime Junta

Yeah, I hardly ever used Rolling Flame because of this. The should've just removed the bouncing and added a little explosion when it hit a wall instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I used the lightning bolt one a couple of times with Aloth, among other things to beat Galvino's Workshop before recommended level. The damage was decent but even if we ignore the randomness in the bouncing itself the animation was terrible. There's sort of a lag to the bounce so that some of the animation "hangs back", meaning you can only determine the path of the bounce by looking at who gets injured from it.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sensuki I've noticed you've been mentioned in this thread on the Obsidian forums.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87059-josh-sawyer-pillars-of-eternity-2-tease-thread/?p=1863580

The part where Rheingold says, "Sensuki was fine with gameplay, in fact he was enthusiastic by the release - he had done a substantial amount of video tutorials. A couple of hours after, he was horrified. It can only be the setting, which is what the problem is for others of his ilk as well."

Any truth that the setting horrified you?

Also, good to see old nipsen visit the forums.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I was thinking of linking to that thread at some point. We're reaching levels of sperging that shouldn't even be possible

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh hey, Josh posted in that thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87059-josh-sawyer-pillars-of-eternity-2-tease-thread/?p=1863781

I think it is fair and reasonable to critique the work that I have done/continue to do, but I do want to clarify the work I (and others) have done and have not done.

I did not have anything to do with the development of the story in NWN2. I came to Obsidian in July of 2005, long after the story had been established. In the capacity of a senior area designer, my only story contribution was to suggest and work through ideas about the background of the King of Shadows with George Ziets.

John Gonzalez developed the story for F:NV. Eric Fenstermaker developed the story for PoE. George Ziets developed the story for Mask of the Betrayer. I was the director of F:NV and PoE. Kevin Saunders was the lead designer (we didn't have directors then) on Mask of the Betrayer.

Writing on projects is split between multiple designers. E.g. on F:NV, over ten designers wrote quest and companion dialogue. I designed all of the main F:NV companions, but the actual writing was split up across many designers. Eric Fenstermaker wrote Boone, Travis Stout wrote Raul, John Gonzalez wrote Lily, Chris Avellone wrote Cass, Akil Hooper wrote ED-E's bleeps, Jesse wrote Rex, and I wrote Arcade. Writing was similarly split on Mask and PoE, but to clarify, I wrote no dialogue on Mask and only Pallegina and a few (~3) minor characters in PoE.

(in response to this: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87059-josh-sawyer-pillars-of-eternity-2-tease-thread/?p=1863561)

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I wonder if Josh feels a bit sad inside seeing everyone in the community ask him about companions/characters that were developed by people who left. I haven't seen a single question about Pallegina, Aloth, Kana Rua, Sagani or any other NPC. Even all the questions about Fallout, everyone from that game left.
He even says his favorite companions were Edér and Durance.
I'd be pretty stressed over the PoE2 writing if I was in his shoes honestly.

Sentinel

Arcane
That's Obsidian's whole thing.
You think New Vegas sold 4,5 million units for its outstanding gameplay? Do you think Witcher 3 and its expansions sold millions because of amazing gameplay?

Thing is, writing quality will make your game be remembered in 20 years. I'm pretty sure sales are a big concern for Josh, but I don't think he will be happy if PoE2 is deemed "shit" and forgotten in 1 year after launch. I imagine he feels good everytime someone asks him about FNV, and I imagine Avellone feels great everytime he gets questions about PS:T and Fallout 2, or he sees those games rank in the Top 3 in every "Best RPG Ever" list. At the end of the day, that's what will count in life, and that's what you'll be remembered for, not how many units you sold.

Prime Junta

What does one life matter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom