Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Martius

Liturgist
Too bad that knowing Atlus, it probably will take 1d3 years for this to come out of Japan (and for Europe, if they region-block it again, add another year to the count). Still, it certainly looks better than the previous two Derpsona.
Atlus USA usually handles localization pretty well, since this is first game in series in HD it should be done quickly. On the other hand I have no idea about Europe. Maybe Sega will publish it just like Ultimax?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Too bad that knowing Atlus, it probably will take 1d3 years for this to come out of Japan (and for Europe, if they region-block it again, add another year to the count). Still, it certainly looks better than the previous two Derpsona.

NA release has already been confirmed. Sega will probably publish in Europe some time later.

Speaking of SEGA: They brought us VC to the PC, they should also press Atlus to port P5 to Steam as well, or let some sweatshop do the porting job.

People on /v/ are speculating that since it's not even coming to the XBone Sony is probably paying Atlus to make sure that mainline Persona games stay on Sony consoles.

Probably. I really don't see that any money Sony is willing to give them could possibly sway them away from Steam profits. Neither Atlus and to a lesser degree Sega are distribution noobs.

I've also heard that Sony could just give them a proposition they couldn't refuse: keep Persona on Sony consoles or never release a game on our console again. Since Sony is probably dominating home console market in Japan and Atlus sell most of their shit there they had little choice.

Martius

Liturgist
That could be also Atlus making that decision on their own. Catherine probably sold close to nothing on 360 in Japan. Probably better in other countries but maybe not so much to justify making Persona 5 for other systems.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I've also heard that Sony could just give them a proposition they couldn't refuse: keep Persona on Sony consoles or never release a game on our console again. Since Sony is probably dominating home console market in Japan and Atlus sell most of their shit there they had little choice.

Sony is finally catching up to the Fascist methods of Microsoft.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Maybe. I think Sega would just tell them to fuck off though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't know if I'm interested in getting this day one. I have only played P1-3 and thought they were decent. I have P4G on the Vita but haven't played it yet.

With that said, I think that this was one of the best trailer I have seen in a long time. It was very well done and better than pretty much anything in regards of games trailers.

Had this been shown at TGS or E3, it would have been hyped up everywhere.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know if I'm interested in getting this day one. I have only played P1-3 and thought they were decent. I have P4G on the Vita but haven't played it yet.
You haven't played the best part, that's why you do not want to:d1p:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You haven't played the best part, that's why you do not want to:d1p:
I didn't mean it in that sense, really. What I mean is that wanting or not wanting the game, the trailer is still very well done. If I wasn't interested in the game before, it would have changed that fact.

Propably there will be both shadows and demons, look at gameplay when knight on the right is turning his head - he wears shadow mask.

Machocruz

Arcane
What do you guys mean by not fighting shadows.? You mean those shadow blobs that roam around that you initiate combat with in P3 and 4?

What do you guys mean by not fighting shadows.? You mean those shadow blobs that roam around that you initiate combat with in P3 and 4?

In 5 you are not supposed to fight gigantic balls with tongues or some other bullshit but actual SMT demons like Jack Frost or Baphomet.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In most SMT games your enemies are demons, just like the ones you use to fight. But the Persona games so far used "shadows" instead, that are just random weird monsters.

Having demons as enemies could lead to a more complex battle system, maybe recruiting and trading with demons again, like in Nocturne.

Fuck, my attention to detail is lacking. Didn't know there was a difference.

The main difference is that shadows are just random mobs made for Persona while Demons had been accumulating through all the Megami Tensei games until now, so there's much more of them, they are more diverse (since they were supposed to be the enemies and the allies) and they are usually better designed.

Persona 1 & 2 (and 2.5) used demons as enemies. I thought the shadows were a result of the storyline/setting of P3/P4, not a definitive change.

(though in the earlier games it was kinda funny to have enemy demons go "ololol you're traveling with my buddy, how nice" when the personas are supposed to come from your mind or something)

Martius

Liturgist
I suppose shadows could still be there, now they will just look like demons. Anyway, it was made probably to have demons models ready for next games.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Persona 1 & 2 (and 2.5) used demons as enemies. I thought the shadows were a result of the storyline/setting of P3/P4, not a definitive change.

(though in the earlier games it was kinda funny to have enemy demons go "ololol you're traveling with my buddy, how nice" when the personas are supposed to come from your mind or something)

That's because in the Shin Megami Tensei (multiverse?) personas = demons = angels = gods, etc. All are permutations of hidden mystical energies patterning themselves after the unconscious urges of humanity. The difference is that personas reflect the ideations of specific individuals. The exception are the Wild Card protagonists, most of whose personas are drawn from the collective unconscious of all humanity and who double as the demons = angels = gods of other Megami Tensei games. The exception there is the initial persona representing the Fool Social Link, which has so far been unique to each Wild Card.

I'm not aware that its ever been definitively established that a shared multiverse exists in the Shin Megami Tensei metaseries, but in seems in some games that characters are on the verge of stumbling on some insight regarding it.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I'm curious what they're going to do with Philemon: is he going to have a bigger role or is he going to be demoted to save point status once again?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
From Siliconera
  • The protagonist is a second-year high school student, who transfers to the city during the spring (around the time of the start of a new school year in Japan.) He’ll move into a coffee shop owned by acquaintances of his parents.
  • The game starts out in Shibuya, but the stage is set in various parts of Tokyo.
  • This is a vague hint, but for what it’s worth, the protagonist has some sort of problem that will lead to trouble down the line if he doesn’t fight it. The part of the recent trailer that showed him imprisoned was a symbol for a “prison of mind”.
  • The dungeon that was shown in the trailer was not automatically-generated, and the story will have various main places that are suitable for a challenge to a phantom thief with all kinds of stages and gimmicks. However, this doesn’t mean there won’t be any auto-generated elements in game.
  • There will be some sort of Social Link-like feature in Persona 5.
  • The protagonist’s first exclusively usable Persona is named “Arsène”. This is likely derived from the famous phantom thief, Arsène Lupin.
  • In previous titles, the Persona summoning scene had the Japanese onomatopoeia of “カッ” (kka) which is something often used to depict a flash or clicking sound. In Persona 5, it’s “ブチッ” (buchi) which is a snapping sound (either physically or mentally).

Caim

Arcane
We all thought that the protagonist was going to be some kind of weak nerd. But he's shown so much swag that we can only ask...

HQrHPlA.gif

Yu mad, Narukami?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom