Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathologic

Longshanks

Augur
Mandarin. But I was discussing usage, not number of native speakers. Mandarin still comes close, possibly even surpasses English, but is nothing like as widespread. My point, that non-native speakers are more likely to learn English than native English speakers are to learn some other language, is supported rather than refuted by your post.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Refusing to learn a foreign language because bawwwwwww my language is superior bawwwwwww is retarded.

Everyone should speak at least 2 languages and have basic knowledge of Latin.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
JarlFrank said:
Refusing to learn a foreign language because bawwwwwww my language is superior bawwwwwww is retarded.
How about refusing to do something that I don't need to?

JarlFrank said:

Everyone in the goddamn world learns english. Europe learns english. Asia learns english. Children in fucking Africa learn english. So if you were born in english-speaking country, you're good to go. You were lucky; there's no reason for you to learn other languages to talk with people. Sorry but it's basic fucking logic. Calling it retarded only shows how retarded you are.

I'm sorry it doesn't conform to your stupidly idealistic worldview where everyone should know at least seven languages, but that's just the way it is. And it's same with videogames; if the dev wants his game to reach any wider audience(even inside a niche) it should have a fucking english version. I would even argue that having an english version is more important than having a version in developer's local language, since people there too know english.

Well, at least you still have Codex where you can lie how many languages you know to pimp your e-monocle.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
It's not about whether you have to learn other languages, because you don't have to learn a quarter of shit if you don't want to. If you'd rather remain an imbecile, be my guest. :smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Being an imbecile is going to a lot of trouble to gain knowledge that you will never use.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's kinda hard to learn the good foreign languages in the US, they make us do a mandatory foreign language in high school/grade school, but at least around here they only offered french (worthless), latin (not a foreign language) and spanish...

Sure, you can learn Russian/Chinese/Japanese at college or independently as an adult... but
2646z5s.gif

(kids might have more options by now, dunno)

Secretninja

Cipher
I started playing this last night and it isn't to terrible so far. There are a few lines which caused me to scratch my head. The guy was saying some vaguely comprehensible stuff, then a dialogue choice was something along the lines of "did your brother even exist?" That was the most memorable blunder so far. The rest have been reasonably understandable.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
PorkaMorka said:
It's kinda hard to learn the good foreign languages in the US, they make us do a mandatory foreign language in high school/grade school, but at least around here they only offered french (worthless), latin (not a foreign language) and spanish...

French is worthless and latin isn't? And what makes Japnese worthier, I mean, except for hentai?

Black Cat

Magister
@ Secretninja

Pathologic's translation is weird. The first couple of days of both Bachelor's and Haruspicus' paths are not that badly translated, and the game's weird writing goes well with the translation's added strangeness. From then onward you will note the translation begins getting more and more what the hell? with each passing chapter.

Then, in Devotress' path, it all goes to hell. You will be guessing what the characters are trying to say nearly as much as just reading it, and it will become pretty fun to try and do the perfect solution of her path since many plots threads, events, and quests are only implied in comments made in passing by some of the characters. Towards the end of Devotress' path you will no longer understand what the hell is going on in most of the plotlines anymore.

To be fair this is also a product of the translation having fed around one third of the original's total text to Abaddon, mostly background about the town and the adherents. But i consider this to be also a translation blunder, or at least a localization one, so i don't think it is an excuse as others do.

Black Cat said:
@ Secretninja

Pathologic's translation is weird. The first couple of days of both Bachelor's and Haruspicus' paths are not that badly translated, and the game's weird writing goes well with the translation's added strangeness. From then onward you will note the translation begins getting more and more what the hell? with each passing chapter.

Then, in Devotress' path, it all goes to hell. You will be guessing what the characters are trying to say nearly as much as just reading it, and it will become pretty fun to try and do the perfect solution of her path since many plots threads, events, and quests are only implied in comments made in passing by some of the characters. Towards the end of Devotress' path you will no longer understand what the hell is going on in most of the plotlines anymore.

To be fair this is also a product of the translation having fed around one third of the original's total text to Abaddon, mostly background about the town and the adherents. But i consider this to be also a translation blunder, or at least a localization one, so i don't think it is an excuse as others do.

Speaking of foreign languages!

ba_dum_tshh_1212631727838.jpg

Man I'm on a roll today

MetalCraze

Arcane
Secretninja said:
The guy was saying some vaguely comprehensible stuff
It's IcePick Lodge. To some extent this adventure game suffers from a very common "russian-adventure" sickness - texts are being pretentious. So imagine how bad it is when they are being translated through some Prompt software.

The other reason is of course the era - it depicts the beginning of 20th century in Russia when people spoke differently.

Pathologic is quite an exception from the rule though - unlike many piece of shit games coming out in this region it is quite playable and to a degree succeeds in simulating ITZ in a one given place and survival - something where Stalker completely failed. It isn't bad for a debut project but I wish it wasn't so linear and heavily scripted.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Ogg said:
French is worthless and

I can't imagine what benefit I could get from learning french.

I've never met a francophone or even seen one, and many francophones speak some English anyway.

And French media has a pretty good chance of having an English translation available.

For example not speaking French has done little to prevent me from watching French movies.

Ogg said:
latin isn't?

Studying latin is worthwhile, but it's not a foreign language at all, and doesn't fulfill the same role, although it counted as one in high school.

Ogg said:
And what makes Japnese worthier, I mean, except for hentai?

If I spoke Japanese I would have some number of thousands of additional video games I could pirate, at least one percent of which would be worth playing.

Secretninja

Cipher
Again, I don't see why people hate on Skyway. He seems like a p. cool guy. And ya, Black Cat is WAY out of character in that post.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Secretninja said:
Again, I don't see why people hate on Skyway. He seems like a p. cool guy. And ya, Black Cat is WAY out of character in that post.

I thought he was the kind of pop star in Codex who's showered with flowers whenever his mouth foamerrrrImeanspeaks.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've played with the Bachelor to day six and man, this is probably the most tiresome game I've ever played. The constant running around is just way too tiring. I want to just follow the somethingawful LP post to just get over with it, but somehow I hope I could enjoy every moment out of the game myself.

But just thinking about I need to move from the east to the west to the east to the west to finish TWO quests I've left on day six has killed my interest.

belated

Augur
Think I already have it from an Indie Royale bundle. Will have to give it a go one of these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom