Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathologic

Micmu

Magister
It worked fine, no optimization problems. I don't recall any crashes either. It's an awesome game, but ONLY if you understand Russian.

"English" version is probably the most horribly translated game of all times. I abandoned playing it because of it and I have a high tolerance for bad translations. It's like they fed the text through babelfish a couple of times, not just once. Often you can't even understand what they're trying to say. And the game is quite narrative heavy.
Don't count on the fans for actual translation - it's in the same state as it has been 3 years ago. So, it's vapourware.

It's just that these fuckheads made the game for Russian speaking market only and released the "international" version just for kicks.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
I was about to get it too. :( Still, not worth learning a foreign language for a game.

What's worse is the Bastard of Kosigan series for NWN1. Two out of the six episodes are great and well-translated, but the other four are French-only.

baronjohn

Cipher
I don't remember the English translation being especially bad. I thought it was a somewhat artificial, however this only contributed to the bizarre atmosphere.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've got only the manual right now, but just reading through it is like whacking in my head with a big dildo, repeatly. Mind you, my main language doesn't even have letters involved and I read tons of Chinglish everyday, but reading through this mess makes me wonder if I'm reading some ancient language. From Mars.

Examples:

Bandage: Promotes recovery of health after traumatic influence. Intercepts bleeding.

β-tablets (“synthetic”) - synthetic immune corrector increasing the immune defense in direct ratio to depression of your health level (beware of overdosage).

Shops and drug stores function, though an assortment of goods is limited. Prevent speculation! Do not buy goods at higher prices.

Render assistance to the doctors, give detailed comprehensive and clear replies to their questions as far as it is possible.

Lol, the last one is just too ironic. Detailed comprehensive and clear, indeed.

I'm having a VERY bad feeling about the actual in game translations now, though I AM very interested in playing the game .

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If I ever decide to play Pathologic — and that will be after I finish The Void, which I am enjoying immensely — I'll have to play it in Russian with my girlfriend translating next to me.

Zeus

Cipher
Gragt said:
If I ever decide to play Pathologic — and that will be after I finish The Void, which I am enjoying immensely — I'll have to play it in Russian with my girlfriend translating next to me.

Looking forward to the Gragt's Girlfriend English Translation Patch.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I'll have her record it. I'm sure she'll be delighted at the thought of having to sit next to me to translate some stupid game.

Tycn

Savant
There is a translation project on their site forums, but it appears to be dead. Apparently Ice-Pick are considering a remake though.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Hahahaha. I played the demo, so I know how hilarious the translation is. I must say, that's got to the the most faux-poetic game manual ever.

I don't know how well The Void is doing, though it does get its share of press in small, odd places and sometimes in larger places like Rock Paper Shotgun and Destructoid. Could try asking at the IPL forums, though I dunno if the devs would be forthcoming about sales.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah the wonders of Prompt machine translation. Now you know how we feel over here when some shitty russian publisher releases english-to-russian localization of western games.

Longshanks

Augur
MetalCraze said:
Ah the wonders of Prompt machine translation. Now you know how we feel over here when some shitty russian publisher releases english-to-russian localization of western games.
Not quite the same thing. English is the dominant world language. Niche language speakers, like yourself, have the option if not the requirement, to learn it. Giving you the option to play those games in their original language. Whereas us native English speakers are hardly going to learn some shitty language just to play a game, are we? Course not. Which leaves us with a mangled translation as the only option.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Longshanks said:
MetalCraze said:
Not quite the same thing. English is the dominant world language. Niche language speakers, like yourself, have the option if not the requirement, to learn it. Giving you the option to play those games in their original language. Whereas us native English speakers are hardly going to learn some shitty language just to play a game, are we? Course not. Which leaves us with a mangled translation as the only option.

My multiheaded dick is going to get dominant in your face, illiterate fuck.

Any man worth his salt should speak at least 5 languages. :smug:

KalosKagathos

Learned
Longshanks said:
Giving you the option to play those games in their original language.
That is, if anyone bothered to release games in English here, or at least the postal service wasn't run by thieving bastards who make importing a gamble.

At least console games are almost never ruined by incapable translators, editors and voice, gods forgive me, "actors". All hail PS3!

Longshanks said:

Agreed.

Pissing on the monocles of fags above me from great height.

[CK Edit] And below.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Topic

Last time i checked Ice-Pick Lodge's forums that LxR guy who was doing Pathologic's translation, like, thingie said it was to be revived as soon as he finished working on The Void or some thingie like that, since he was one of the translators doing that one stuffie too. Though if that rumor thingie about a remake is true then we can, like, totally kiss the retranslation project bye bye, nya.

But i didn't really mind Pathologic weird language stuffies that bad. Like, it can be confusing and thingies and stuffies and you know what, but some times i have the feeling i'm in love with that gamey game not because of its real depth but because all the symbolism and stuffies and thingies the bad translation made me believe was there. It would be, like, supermegadisapointing to play a well translated remake and discover it wasn't half as deep as i imagined it to be or stuffies and thingies like that.

@ Longshanks

When the cutest, funniest, evilest nekomimi witch evar knows more languages than you, guy, you can be, like, totally sure you are so full of epic deferred success and stuffies and thingies and nya that nothing can save your soul. You should give yourself unto Mother Kali for a faster rebirth into something closer to a human being, nya.

spectre

Arcane
Ah, welcome to the world of localized games and no final editing by native speakers. With more quality games coming from the third world I'd start getting used to it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Black Cat said:
When the cutest, funniest, evilest nekomimi witch evar knows more languages than you, guy, you can be, like, totally sure you are so full of epic deferred success and stuffies and thingies and nya that nothing can save your soul. You should give yourself unto Mother Kali for a faster rebirth into something closer to a human being, nya.

:shock:

Tycn

Savant
In the few hours that I managed to stomach it Pathologic's translation didn't really detract from the experience. Sure, you get the occasional line of nonsense but it's easy to dismiss that as artsy drivel, of which the game offers plenty anyway. Most of the writing ranges from acceptable to above average, but even the most horribly butchered dialogues can't put a dent in the amazing atmosphere.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Longshanks said:
MetalCraze said:

Say what you wish but the difference is - I can enjoy this game and you can't, nigga.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom