Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
APGunner - I'll do the Evil Islands review. I agree with you that Evil Islands is a great challenging game with some unique gameplay elements (crafting, stealth etc.). I loved the predecessors Rage of Mages 1 & 2 as well. Some of the very few games where real time combat is challenging, tactical and fun.

I really need to get my sorry ass back to Might and Magic 3. I have my Turbo Duo and the jewel case sitting there in front of my PS3 and on top of my Atari 800 so it can judge me, like Inspecta Deck.
I just keep being lazy about it. :( I mean I could write a review NOW but not a I HAVE FINISHED THIS one. (Not that you really need to fully play a game to give a review of it. I am having an issue like that in my Master System review project. If after an hour or so for most arcade styled games you aren't enjoying it I think its safe to say it can be covered, albeit INFORMING THE READER of how far you made it. Like Half Life was really good. Then you reached XEN and it kind of went pear shaped. I like how that CRPG blog says he gives most games about 6 hours. Some he enjoys enough to press on, others he just leaves behind, some to return to if enough readers convince him to do so.)

Course if I would stop playing MWO and Borderlands 2 it would help. I have a save game of Wasteland 2 that is mocking me.

(Can we get like 30 hours in a day somehow?)

Right now my basic synopsis is that MnM 3 is a curious halfway point between modern and older eras of RPGs. Its got an easier start than the older ones, and the interface and automap are attempts as being friendlier, yet it fails to make keeping track of gear and what said gear does USEFUL and in many cases it is closer to a lighter feeling yet prettier Bard's Tale 3.

(I'm also posting this here so I can maybe have some notes to get back to should I forget or a Warmachine/Hordes Journeyman league starts up and I get the fire to paint little tiny metal Fantasy Russians again and my brain goes a different way for a bit.)

That's honestly a cool thing this book might show readers. How the goddamned games evolved as technology and not just being made by autists inspired by Gygax's weird ass rulesets and play style made these games evolve and improve as much as decline in various ways.

I mean not knowing what your gear does or the basic odds you have to hit things? That's so 1st ed AD&D its not even FUNNY. (Yes the combat system is mostly in the DMG. Which was the last of the three then annually released books.)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
For a project like this, I would prefer is all reviewers finished their games... especially since M&M III has a twist at the end.

zwanzig_zwoelf

For a project like this, I would prefer is all reviewers finished their games... especially since M&M III has a twist at the end.
I didn't finish Summoner 2, had to put it on hold about 60-70% into the game. But at least I can compare it to the original game and give it a short overview.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Ugh, being banned of NeoGAF does hurt me more than I imagined... got an interview published on Kotaku Brasil, it only gave me 120 pageviews to the blog. A simple post on the NeoGAF thread usually resulted in +400 visitors per day. :?

Regardless, the book preview passed 12,000 downloads! :D
One less forum to worry about.
Where is my edited review, so I can take a look, and then tell the people why Summoner series are worth playing.
FFS, do that before I forget what I wanted to add to the trivia and why Mass Effect is a S2 ripoff.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why are you banned there?
I'm not used to dealing with thin-skinned people... so I was debating their 2015 Essential RPG list and posted these:

RPG Codex's GOTY list is out: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9721

I post it here not (only) to be a snob, but because this year I employed a methodology seeking to compensate for popularity & try to be a bit more objective about each game's quality. IMHO it worked, as NEO Scavenger, a game that only 16% of the Codex played, won 3rd place. :)

Now, elucidate this NeoGAF newfag: is it impossible to get your list stickied?

And this happened:

You have been banned for the following reason:
You clearly did not read the T.O.S. with your language and self promotion. Junior bans are permanent

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

:dead:

Alchemist

Arcane
Wow that is incredible! He was one of the best classic CRPG cover artists in my opinion. I absolutely love the cover work (and manual art) he did with Origin.

By the way, I haven't forgotten my review assignments (Rogue and Demise). Life has been kicking my ass lately and left little time for game stuff - but I still think I can get those done in the near future.

zwanzig_zwoelf

By the way, I haven't forgotten my review assignments (Rogue and Demise).
Did you play Mordor and Mordor 2?
I have Mordor and have played it a little bit but not extensively. I got it bundled when I bought Demise. Haven't played Mordor 2 though.
Imo, releasing Demise after Mordor and great Mordor 2 demo was an awful decision. Especially when Mordor 2 = Mordor gameplay and interface + Demise maps.

Alchemist

Arcane
I have Mordor and have played it a little bit but not extensively. I got it bundled when I bought Demise. Haven't played Mordor 2 though.
Imo, releasing Demise after Mordor and great Mordor 2 demo was an awful decision. Especially when Mordor 2 = Mordor gameplay and interface + Demise maps.
Hmm, well I'll be approaching the review of Demise as a relative newcomer to the franchise and be evaluating it on its own merits and gameplay. I'll mention its lineage briefly (Mordor, Mordor 2 and its roots in stuff like Oubliette) - but comparing it to its predecessors or delving into its development history won't be a focus.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Hmm, well I'll be approaching the review of Demise as a relative newcomer to the franchise and be evaluating it on its own merits and gameplay. I'll mention its lineage briefly (Mordor, Mordor 2 and its roots in stuff like Oubliette) - but comparing it to its predecessors or delving into its development history won't be a focus.
Okay, but at least give Mordor 2 demo a try (it was released only as a demo) to see things for yourself.

Alchemist

Arcane
Okay, but at least give Mordor 2 demo a try (it was released only as a demo) to see things for yourself.
I'll definitely check it out, yeah. I love that style of gameplay these games have in general. So do you feel that Mordor 2 was better in some ways than Demise? I had thought Demise was pretty much an evolution of the Mordor concept.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'll definitely check it out, yeah. I love that style of gameplay these games have in general. So do you feel that Mordor 2 was better in some ways than Demise? I had thought Demise was pretty much an evolution of the Mordor concept.
I don't remember much, but I hated the UI in Demise, and some changes to the Mordor formula (I have to pay money to drink from a fountain? WTF is this shit?).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Were you adding games that are going to be getting released in 2015?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Were you adding games that are going to be getting released in 2015?
Sure, gotta squeeze Grimoire
tom-hanks-laughing-o.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom