Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol:

Rock on. I'll try to get my stuff finished before too long, perhaps I can pick up some of the ones that weren't taken by others. Did you find anyone to do Mandate of Heaven yet? I'd like to talk to the dude still.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
2800 characters, make sure to explain how the game works for those that never heard about it before, and any screenshot is appreciated. :)
Yeah. I'll focus entirely on how the game works, what makes it special, etc.

Honestly I don't like some of the reviews I've seen, where the first lines are like "I don't usually blah blah", "I like blah blah", "What I don't like blah blah."
As a reader, I don't give a shit about the reviewer and the reviewer's taste. Especially not for a book where, as I understand it, the reviews are supposed to be informative and generally positive. Like, celebrating the history of RPGs.

A guideline for the reviews should be that the reviewer is not allowed to refer to him/herself. Just like an academic article. It just reads so badly, like a teenage diary.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I disagree, I like the personal touch and even promote it. I think it's nice for the reviewer to say he doesn't usually play Tower Defense games, but that Defender's Quest grabbed his attention. Or that Uukrul is the favorite RPG of precisely one person on Earth. It makes you curious to know why. This is a book written by fans after all. That's the cool thing of having Tim Cain talk about Star Control II and how it influenced Fallout.

Otherwise it would read too much like Matt Barton's book, with that cold, monotonous academic tone of "game was published in 1993 by SSI, it's turn-based, party-based, with C&C - was critcized for X, while praised for Y". That's ok in one or two reviews, but when you consider there will be 300 games in the book, I like the flavour and color that more personal reviews bring in.

Last edited:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
some people have promised a review 3 months ago and never sent anything.

I swear bro it's on it's way fllsglalsglgsalsglsaf
Hobbit_Graphic_Novel_long.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I would have sent mine weeks ago ,but I'm not satisfied with a couple of screenshots and I've been delaying it :P

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Noooooo it has to be me :P

No worries boss, it will be on your desk by Monday.

Murk

Arcane
I'm gonna replay the game before hand, hence the query into time limits. Alright, sounds gewd. BTW bros, if any of you want someone to read over your writing for grammar/editing, then send me a PM and I'll help you out.

EDIT: felipepepe is there a particularly good example of an entry you have that I an use as an example?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm gonna replay the game before hand, hence the query into time limits. Alright, sounds gewd. BTW bros, if any of you want someone to read over your writing for grammar/editing, then send me a PM and I'll help you out.
felipepepe Should I send him my Alpha Brotocol stuff, or you will handle the editing?

Murk

Arcane
Cool, I can also just help people out if they are having some trouble.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I appreciate all the help and I'll will certainly make use of it, just not right now. I'd rather have all the content and then we pour over it to edit it into a cohesive narrative, instead of edditing the reviews separately. But of course, we can all debate and comment on anything done so far.

But as Grunker said, it's easier to know what the M&M VII review must have when you have the M&M VI and VIII next to them. :)

EDIT: felipepepe is there a particularly good example of an entry you have that I an use as an example?
Sure, here's some of my favorites:

OEFYUvR.png

5XlIq7w.png

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
If I understand your spreadsheet correctly Age of Decadence is unassigned. I am willing to tackle that one.

Might do a couple more if it goes well.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If I understand your spreadsheet correctly Age of Decadence is unassigned. I am willing to tackle that one.
AoD and other early acess games are listed only to help me calculate the pagecount. There's a big chance that VD's thursday will arrive before mine, so I'll wait for the full release of the game to ask for reviews. ;)

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh? Have you begun setting deadlines? :)
Well, the book needs to come out one day... some people have promised a review 3 months ago and never sent anything. I need to have a tighter idea of what I'm really gonna get. :|

Those bastards! How could they?! Oh wait, shit.

working on my Revenant review right now

What's an RPG:
The Tale of Neverending Passion
What's an RPG:
The philosophical inquiry

What's an RPG:
We've wrote 300 reviews and still fucking don't know

What's an RPG:
Wh
o knows?

What's an RPG:
Are you some kind of noob?

What's an RPG:
Answer inside

What's an RPG:
Answer in the upcoming DLC
I strongly suggest the What's an RPG:The Tale of Neverending Passion, because:
- It contains a widely understood and yet subtle reference (those who won't get it for the first time will understand it after reading the book, so it highlights the book's purpose of educating the reader without using any scary sounding word ),
-is romantic, poetic, sounds great, suggest the book was written by individuals to whom the subject is dear
-contains the word "Tale",
-suggest the project will be continued,
- has no connotation to any particular RPG community yet has a reference which any serious and even half serious RPG player will understand regardless of his favorite RPG kind
- suggest the book was written by subtle intellectuals discussing difficult subject on which there are many conflicting opinions
-can be illustrated by people around the campfire discussing the given question.
-[joke]
If we call it Tale of The Neverending Passion,it's acronym would be : WRPG:TotNP --> Western RPG : TheTides of Numenara Players
If TotN will be shit the reference would get even subtler
:troll:

Wavinator

Educated
I can take Sentinel Worlds and Escape Velocity: Nova if they're still free.

Also wondering about Starflight 2's inclusion over Starflight. Glad that it got two pages, but the first one is really the better game. Any chance of adding it in if you had a review / screenshots for it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can take Sentinel Worlds and Escape Velocity: Nova if they're still free.
Great! Each will have a 1-page review, so up to 2800 characters. My only guideline is to make sure that those that never heard sbout the game before understand how it plays (combat, party, dialog, etc) and what sets it apart. Revelant historical context / production details are also appreciated. And you don't need to send screenshots, but it helps if you do.

Also wondering about Starflight 2's inclusion over Starflight. Glad that it got two pages, but the first one is really the better game. Any chance of adding it in if you had a review / screenshots for it?
Yeah, that's a problem I have with game I haven't personally played, it's hard to reach a consensus on which game is better. The guy that wrote the review guaranteed me SF2 was a bigger & better version of the original.

It was one of the first reviews I got, so a lot has changed in how I approach series since. I'll probably ask the guy to turn the 2-page review into a series retrospective, going from SF 1 to the sequel to perhaps even Protostar: War on the Frontier. We'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom