Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One of the shittiest things about Skyrim

KateMicucci

Arcane
never noticed or cared

KateMicucci

Arcane
>Morrowind
>huge cities
???
What the fuck are you talking about? Vivec is the only somewhat big city in Morrowind and even that's smaller than the Imperial City.
4qp5y0.png
foreign quarter out of alignment, 4/10 would not visit

Ash

Arcane
I played it on release in 2011. Gave up in disgust after a mere 30 hours and never touched it again. Was sure to shit on it hard every time it was mentioned online and IRL. After 12 years, I thought maybe, just maybe, it can now...
so the thing you played as a hodgepodge of mod shit nobody playtested with no coherent design about it, and you dare compare that to Todd's vision? let's be real, you haven't played Skyrim
This is a troll post, right? It's hard to tell, what with how casual and retard-infested the codex seems to have gotten of late.

Ravielsk

Magister
Nah, the NPCs schedules are the least of this game's problems. They are obviously pathetic even in comparison to Gothic 1 but they are there. The real problem is how there is absolutely nothing to even the handful of NPCs that actually exist. Despite the fact that each city has about 20 named NPCs most are not used or associated with any quests or have any utility beyond set dressing.
This in a game where Bethesda has implemented automated quest generation is just the absolute peak of laziness. I could understand why it was this way with the 1.0 version that had to squeeze itself onto one 8,5gb DVD but the fact that they could not be bothered even after all the re-releases is proof enough that Bethesda literary does not see this as an issue at all. Hell, if anything the doubled down on this in Fallout 4 where maybe 10% of the NPCs are anything beyond set dressing.

The second worst thing is that its trivial to mod this issue away but the modding community would rather fuck around with HD fences or argonian nostrils rather than add basic bitch quests or god forbid dialog options.

Ravielsk

Magister
This is a troll post, right? It's hard to tell, what with how casual and retard-infested the codex seems to have gotten of late.
Its a classic case of Skyrimrot. The sufferer insists that Skyrim can be fixed with mods and will reject any statement to the contrary but shall either never post a mod list that "fixes" the game or they will start mumbling about Requiem.

Many such cases these days.

Ash

Arcane
No no no, read again, it seems like Maxie thinks VANILLA is untouchable, and that slapping a host of carefully vetted de-casualification mods on it is a bad thing. That's like the epitome of retarded and hopeless.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
No no no, read again, it seems like Maxie thinks VANILLA is untouchable, and that slapping a host of carefully vetted de-casualification mods on it is a bad thing. That's like the epitome of retarded and hopeless.
Man, get over yourself. It's a TES game. If you want a Skyrim without casual shit then play KCD will all the maluses activated or something, it's the same game but set in Czechia instead of Sweden. I enjoy Skyrim because it's a light-hearted hiking sim which doesn't pretend to be more than it is, with none of that malaise-inducing moral greyness modern entertanment swims in.

>Morrowind
>huge cities
???
What the fuck are you talking about? Vivec is the only somewhat big city in Morrowind and even that's smaller than the Imperial City.
4qp5y0.png
To be honest i dislike the way that Morrowind(and later games as well)have dozens of named NPCs but are useless, in no part of quests or anything, i hate when RPGs do this. That makes me having to talk to every NPC to find quests, i much prefer the way that infinity engine games or Fallouts 1/2 handle that, where useless NPCs have generic labels like townsfolk or peasant, and important NPCs that gives or are in part of quests are named and easy to find. It's gamey but i prefer not wasting my time doing boring shit than 'immersion'.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
To be honest i dislike the way that Morrowind(and later games as well)have dozens of named NPCs but are useless, in no part of quests or nothing, i hate when RPGs do this. That makes me having to talk to every NPC to find quests, i much prefer the way that infinity engine games or Fallouts 1/2 handle that, where useless NPCs have generic labels like townsfolk or peasant, and important NPCs that gives or are in part of quests are named and easy to find. It's gamey but i prefer not wasting my time doing boring shit than 'immersion'.
They fixed this in Skyrim by making all the quests so lackluster that you don't want to bother looking for them.

430am

Educated
I was about to say, the thing that does piss me off about Skyrim are the fucking "cities". Yeah, I could get the ones in Morrowind considering the year it was released and the budget, but Skyrim? You walk into a city and it's about seven or eight buildings. That's not even a village. Even Might and Magic games had bigger settlements. And this is the AAA sacred cash-cow RPG that the average gamer dude will name by the company that pays the marketing departments to shill their games everywhere harder and wider than Hollywood movie releases. Remember the Fallout 4 advertising campaigns near its release?

PapaPetro

Never had interest in Skyrim after finishing its prequels.
Its the same game with upgrade texture packs for the soulless NPCs & World.
The movement/combat has been the same since Arena/Daggerfall.
Skyrim is a shit test now for taste: if you can't taste the shit, you've got no palate.

Last edited by a moderator:

mondblut

Arcane
To be honest i dislike the way that Morrowind(and later games as well)have dozens of named NPCs but are useless, in no part of quests or anything, i hate when RPGs do this. That makes me having to talk to every NPC to find quests, i much prefer the way that infinity engine games or Fallouts 1/2 handle that, where useless NPCs have generic labels like townsfolk or peasant, and important NPCs that gives or are in part of quests are named and easy to find.

Quest compass is strong in this one.

You know what I like? When all enemies are named, not just Important Bosses. Every lowly brigand is named Joe or Pete. Much better than having to wait for shopkeeper to wake up.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Skyrim is a shit test now for taste: if you can't taste the shit, you've got no palate.
In Arena you had to drag your mouse to turn the screen, in Daggerfall you dragged your mouse to swing directionally, in Morrowind your physical strikes and where they landed had little to do with your actual hits. In Morrowind magic took up both hands, in Oblivion 0 hands (you could cast a spell while holding a two-handed sword, or a sword and shield, etc.), and in Skyrim it took up 1. In Skyrim you can duel-wield, and it's the only one with mounted combat. Morrowind has spears, the other two don't.

At a stretch, you could say Morrowind to Skyrim had the same combat, but to extend that to Daggerfall or Arena just shows you haven't actually played those two.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To be honest i dislike the way that Morrowind(and later games as well)have dozens of named NPCs but are useless, in no part of quests or anything, i hate when RPGs do this. That makes me having to talk to every NPC to find quests, i much prefer the way that infinity engine games or Fallouts 1/2 handle that, where useless NPCs have generic labels like townsfolk or peasant, and important NPCs that gives or are in part of quests are named and easy to find.

Quest compass is strong in this one.

You know what I like? When all enemies are named, not just Important Bosses. Every lowly brigand is named Joe or Pete. Much better than having to wait for shopkeeper to wake up.
"No, you can't call him 'Bandit', that's so unimmersive. People have names!!!"
"What do you mean people sleep?"

Morrowind fanboy "try to be consistent for two fucking seconds" challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

PapaPetro

In Arena you had to drag your mouse to turn the screen, in Daggerfall you dragged your mouse to swing directionally, in Morrowind your physical strikes and where they landed had little to do with your actual hits. In Morrowind magic took up both hands, in Oblivion 0 hands (you could cast a spell while holding a two-handed sword, or a sword and shield, etc.), and in Skyrim it took up 1. In Skyrim you can duel-wield, and it's the only one with mounted combat. Morrowind has spears, the other two don't.

At a stretch, you could say Morrowind to Skyrim had the same combat, but to extend that to Daggerfall or Arena just shows you haven't actually played those two.
Yeah dude I don't care about the nuances.
These games play clunkily to me. They never fixed that.
You've played one you've played em all. It's a stretch to think the iteration of these games are better than they are.
The Elder Scrolls series has been
decline.png

mondblut

Arcane

Yeah. I like to know the names of all the people I kill.

People do sleep. But they better wake up when I demand their attention, or they'll find their home collapsing on their heads.

Morrowind fanboy "try to be consistent for two fucking seconds" challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

The little you know, kiddo. I am a Daggerfall fanboy. Morrowind pretty much sucks.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah. I like to know the names of all the people I kill.

People do sleep. But they better wake up when I demand their attention, or they'll find their home collapsing on their heads.
Damn, you're a real badass.

In any case, you CAN wake them up, which you'd know if you actually played any of these games before giving your shit takes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To be honest i dislike the way that Morrowind(and later games as well)have dozens of named NPCs but are useless, in no part of quests or anything, i hate when RPGs do this. That makes me having to talk to every NPC to find quests, i much prefer the way that infinity engine games or Fallouts 1/2 handle that, where useless NPCs have generic labels like townsfolk or peasant, and important NPCs that gives or are in part of quests are named and easy to find. It's gamey but i prefer not wasting my time doing boring shit than 'immersion'.
I wish they all could be NPC #61873.

to correct my post, i'm not against named NPCs if they have unique dialogue, backstory or interaction, but if it's just copy pasted generic NPCs but with different names(like in Morrowind), to fill out the towns, then it's better to have a generic label.

Incendax

Augur
At least that guy from the beginning will walk you to his house, chat up his wife, and then eventually walk all the way to Ulfric. You can tag along if you wait long enough.

mondblut

Arcane
In any case, you CAN wake them up, which you'd know if you actually played any of these games before giving your shit takes.

Breaking into their homes and pestering them in their sleep is for poor peasants. When the Fusrodah Guy deigns to visit them to offload a cartload of bloodstained underwear, they are expected to prepare in advance and meet him with fanfares, shops open, braziers lit and all.

If I am breaking into their house at night, I might just as well take their stuff without paying :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom