Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Snap, Curufinwe not only steal players from other LPs but votes and posts too, quite the crafty fella I must say.

Curufinwe

Learned
Snap, Curufinwe not only steal players from other LPs but votes and posts too, quite the crafty fella I must say.

You have no idea. So, A 9 B 2 C 8 for now. And a vote for knife, composed and I don't remember what. Very well. We'll see later.

Curufinwe

Learned
Up, where the fire spirit is stronger. Ok.

The keeper of fire, despite fierce opposition from some men of the party, soon managed to sway the most religious warriors. Thus the party, with the keeper at the lead, took the leftmost passage and soon started ascending.
The path was steep indeed, the smooth, featureless walls leading on and on, with no side branches, nothing to indicate they were moving at all except the increasing fatigue.

After an arduous, hour-long trek, one of the hunters furrowed his brow: 'It's getting warmer in here. Perhaps we are drawing near to an exit? Yet I do not smell fresh air.'
They kept walking, the keeper of fire spurring them ever forward. The heat increased, until everyone was freely sweating. A strange, bubbling noise came from the front, first faint, then increasingly louder.

Suddenly the tunnel widened and a huge cave was in front of their eyes. It was more than big enough to contain base camp, but that was not its dominating feature. The torches weren't necessary anymore, the walls and ceiling of the cave were bathed in an ominous red, flickering light...

images

In the center of the cave there was a pool of liquid, as wide as three men laying head to feet. It was in constant motion, bubbles opening up and releasing their content towards the ceiling. High up, a small hole let a beam of daylight in. The beam fell straight at the center of the pool, where a small pillar of shiny, black obsidian rose to the height of a man's waist. The heat was almost unbearable.
On the smooth surface of the pillar, a great red stone, its surface faceted. From within the stone, red light came, pulsing, at times barely visible, then suddenly almost blinding.

As soon as the party entered the cave, all the torches suddenly roared, projecting their flames high in the air. Some of them were surprised by the phenomenon and tossed the branches of the grounds. Others grimly held on, others yet fell on their knees praying to the fire spirit.

Everyone reacted. Everyone, but the keeper of fire. He stood still, unmoving, his eyes unblinkingly fixed to the gem at the center of the pool. He murmured: 'The fire spirit... it is strong here. Much stronger than I ever felt it... it is calling to me... - and suddenly started walking towards the pillar.

The head of the militia frowned and started walking next to him, trying to speak to him, but to no avail. The closer they got to the pool of red liquid, the stronger the heat grew, until it started hurting.
The head to the militia grabbed the keeper of fire, trying to stop him.

A. He turned to his men and shouted: 'Help me! He lost control of himself! This heat comes from the red liquid, it is deadly! He is going to die if we don't stop him!'
B. A few militiamen started moving, but others stood in front of them: 'Let him go! The fire spirit has called him, who are we to stop an holy man?'
C. The scouts and the hunters started to walk back to the entrance tunnel: 'We don't like this. Leave him to his fate, we should run out of here, never turning back!'

Vernydar

Learned
B

Do I even need to explain this? THE FIRE SPIRIT IS CALLING TO US
I cannot even begin to consider any other possible choice.

Also, for the metagamers amongst you, magic!

Vernydar

Learned
Come on, who cares if he dies? who cares if we all die? Who cares if he gets the gem and the volcano erupts? THE FIRE SPIRIT IS CALLING US

Omicron

Scholar
A would be quite reasonable, if the spirits of fire don't harm the militia for interrupting their priest.
B is a gamble, we could gain something along the lines of a powerful artefact, or we could get the expedition killed, get the volcano to erupt and spawn untold horrors from the crust of the earth.
C is like B, only we could gain less but we might be able to inform the rest of the tribe.

I think I'll vote B.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
My survival instincts tell me that we should head back and continue with our mission.. but the fire spirit is indeed strong in this place. And the stone, so shiny.

Bah let the fool die and let us bask in the blessings of the fire spirits, we are the fire spirits own choosen tribe after all!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A
My metagame instincts tell me that it's bad when religion trumps common sense.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Vernydar :love:

The man is right damnnit, IT'S THE FIRE SPIRITS, NEVER BEFORE HAVE THEY LOVED US SO, BLESS US O' FIRE SPIRITS, WE ARE YOUR PEOPLE!

B
Besides, what's the worst that could happen?

Vernydar

Learned
Besides, what's the worst that could happen?

Volcano erupts and kill us all? Evil spirits are released and kill us all?
Huge elemental of fire is released and we become its minions?

Everyone of the above is all right with me! THE FIRE SPIRIT IS CALLING TO US

Urist McLurker

Learned
Vernydar said:
Volcano erupts and kill us all? Evil spirits are released and kill us all?
Huge elemental of fire is released and we become its minions?

Meh, all of those things would have happened regardless of what we do. The real beauty of this way is that we get to appease what horrors await us. A pre-emptive bootlicking if you will.

By the way, how come we've all got it in our heads that this is a fantasy world? I can't remember why we started thinking that. I remember one wooden statuette by that other tribe that joined us, it was of a big ass flying beast, and them rambling about an evil flying beast and that's it. Couldn't that have just been something they lied about so we would take pity on them? Some kind of old massive bird like a Haast's eagle that they beefed up? This is pre-historic times after all, and the first post did say this was plain 'ol earth. I must've missed something right?

Regardless, I, for one, welcome our new fiery overlords in whatever form they wish to take.

newcomer

Learned
B

And the priest shouted, "LET GO! LET GO OF ME YOU FILTHY ILL-SPIRIT! DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO SEPARATE ME FROM THE FIRE SPIRIT!"

Chances are that he may die, but I'd love to see a more zealous civilization after all... Maybe later this can be a pilgrimage location?

Curufinwe

Learned
Couldn't that have just been something they lied about so we would take pity on them? Some kind of old massive bird like a Haast's eagle that they beefed up? This is pre-historic times after all, and the first post did say this was plain 'ol earth. I must've missed something right?

The management reserves the right to obscure, withold crucial truths and outright lie in the first and all subsequent posts. Just so you know. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom