Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yeah i was wondering about that too, thought i missed something in the text at first.

Vernydar

Learned
Ok people. No, no, and no again. C smells like a trap. I am absolutely against it.

Why is one our FEW wooden figurines conveniently on the floor right where the path diverges? What are the odds that someone would lose the figurine exactly close to the three way fork? I'll tell you what they are, they are almost nil.

Case A: one in a million, someone lost the figurine right there. I'm not believing this
Case B: someone carrying that figurine was killed there. Means the danger is there, I would not go in there without first looking around
Case C: our previous scouts put the figurine there years ago to signify something. Not likely, why leaving such an item? why simply not marking the stone?
Case D: someone ELSE put the figurine there. In this case, it's a trap, mark my words. They, whoever they are, want us to go in there.

I say we only pick c, eventually, after looking every other passage. I vote

B

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Now now, we must find about what happend to our fellow tribesmen. The sooner we find out about what actually happend in here the better, for the sake of the tribes morale. We cant expect our tribe to be happy about people going missing and not focusing on it 100%. I say, venture deep down and let's find out about this montrosity, time is of the essence fellow cave-gentlemen.

Vernydar

Learned
Now now, we must find about what happend to our fellow tribesmen. The sooner we find out about what actually happend in here the better, for the sake of the tribes morale. We cant expect our tribe to be happy about people going missing and not focusing on it 100%. I say, venture deep down and let's find out about this montrosity, time is of the essence fellow cave-gentlemen.

It's not a problem of time. If it is a trap, which I think likely, we're only going to find death. A boulder crushing us from above. Poisonous gas. Anything really. We're not going to survive a trap in here.

Esquilax

Arcane

Having 15 militiamen slaughtered because they ran into danger head-first without thinking of the possible dangers is much worse for morale. We need to find what happened, I agree, but that's no excuse to charge right in without looking for any alternate passages or things within the caves that might prove to be advantageous. We want to find out what happened and we will, but there's no reason to be so impatient and foolishly rush in at this point.

Vernydar: I agree that C is ill-advised. I'm curious as to why you think B is a better choice than A, though. I would imagine fire would be more useful (and spiritually meaningful) than mirrors in this place, no?

Vernydar

Learned
Vernydar: I agree that C is ill-advised. I'm curious as to why you think B is a better choice than A, though. I would imagine fire would be more useful (and spiritually meaningful) than mirrors in this place, no?

I think A will most likely lead us out. The fact there's a current of air that makes our torches stronger seems a good indication. Of course it could also be something interesting, for example it could lead to a secluded valley where a small tribe or creatures or anything else lives. But I do not think it likely. As such, if C is a trap, and A leads out, B is the way to go.

Vernydar

Learned
I have just thought of something too, A is strangely smooth, which could mean in the past water passed down there. Or maybe, in the summer, where the snow atop the mountain melts a bit, it comes out from this place. In my opinion this makes more likely that A is not the choice we want to take

ScubaV

Prophet
A, however I will flip to B if doing so will defeat C.

To me, C is the worst choice. There's obvious danger there as Vernydar pointed out and if in the worst case scenario the whole 15-man team dies or is lost then we're worse off than when we started: no information to be reported back about what we've discovered thus far, lost resources in the men we sent, lowered morale, and the temptations of sunk cost to send yet another expedition. Definitely not choosing C.

As for A or B, I'm leaning toward A. B is tempting, but we don't have the means to make use of shiny objects embedded in rock. A could be a surface tunnel, which is good knowledge to have in case we get overrun by invaders and need to escape through the mountain. Or, the smooth walls might be evidence of an underground civilization. Dorfs anyone? Plus, our fire spirits are strengthened by going A and the fire spirits are the only thing keeping us from being totally lost. What if C's pathway doesn't have balrogs or Shoggoths, but simply extinguishes fire due to poor oxygen or somesuch. That would effectively kill the expedition. No obsidian markings are going help if you can't see.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Good to see that people agree that marching our men straight into the meat grinder isn't a good idea. We'll need to find an alternative route. A interests me here the most, by the sounds of it we'll be wandering into an open area.
The only things I can see resulting from all this are:
1. We escape with our lives
2. We're driven loopy by an elder thing
3. We stumble upon an ancient dwemer ruin and our tech level catapults ahead by thousands of years.

I'm starting to get the strange idea that we're in an ancient Morrowind or something, but I'm probably just being stupid.

C. Yeah, the story so far totally indicates this as a magical world of dwarves and ancient horrors... "OMG, a carved statuette of our tribe! Achtung! Achtung! Abandon ship! We're all going to die! Wait - maybe, the previous group left it as a marker for where they went? Naah, let's go with ancient horrors on this one."

We came here to find out what happened, in the first place, and suddenly everyone wants to go every which way but to find out what happened? We've marked the way to this crossroad, we can come back later to sate our curiosity - for now, that isn't our reason for being here.
Or we can do it now and ignore the fact there are some of our bros lost in the dark somewhere - that's cool, too.

Kipeci

Arcane
C.

The lost party is the reason we sent this group in the first place, so we may as well go for the inevitable... sure, C could have eldritch horrors, but so could any other section of the cave. We just know that if there are eldritch horrors in the C area, at least they've fed recently.

oscar

Arcane
A. Knowing the passages of this mountain can't hurt. Could also lead us to somewhere interesting. I'm not too concerned about the fate of the survivors to be honest (beyond tribe moral). Though it could be useful for working out what sort of world we're in.

C.

It's what we are here for, so let's not get distracted from the task at hand. If the cave is safe after all, we can explore other options later.

We knew this was going to be dangerous from the start. Worst case scenario (TPK) might hurt us, but won't cripple us at this point.

ScubaV

Prophet
Unofficial tally:

A - 8 votes
B - 2 votes
C - 9 votes

If B voters don't want C then you better flip to A.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
4 Calm
7 Mindful
9 Just

Knife (much better than a sword - swords are for fighters / obvious muscle, while knives are for sneaky buggers way too smart for their own good; and more... intimate with the bloodshed)

Vernydar

Learned
Uhm, Am I right in thinking this last post belongs to my thread? :p

Guess I'm going to count it ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom