Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime On AAA titles and the nature of incline

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
So I'm making this thread to discuss about the terrible butthurt that has been tormenting me For quite a while. It has to do with AAA games and the apparently frequent behaviour of playing these games. Of Course, I'm talking about rpgs and in particular the witcher 3, but I don't want to focus only on this. Basically, I'm pretty sad about the fact that so many codex members play games Like fo4 or witcher3 despite the Great intellectual achievement the concept of decline represents. Basically, the question I ask you is: Can an AAA rpg be good?

In My opinion, no and I'll explain why. Now, according to many members witcher3 is a Great Experience, as can you can see in the ubiquitous polls about the 2015 gott, worthy of votes as high as a 7 or 8. I'm not Here to discuss the basis of such a claim (the game may be excellent) because I want to focus on the interaction between player base, rpg content and long term economic planning.
So you buy a big game, from a big company, and find out that the game is really Worth all the fuss: it has good Systems, enjoyable story, good writing and a big world to explore. Good, you say, finally a big developer making a good crpg. All is well.
I was on a train and a guy next to me said, to one of his friends: "hey buddy, I discovered this game, the witcher 3, you Know? one of those games where you can make choices and the story changes, that kind of stuff. Rpgs, that's hoe they're called". I was next to him and I thought that the guy would have loved the mass effect Series. See, he was after that kind of Experience where you think you can make choices that matter nothing, what he was really after was the cinematic Adventure and the superficial sense of freedom and control those games give you.
Now, the guys at the software House start looking at the sales figures and see that the game is a success, but the Point is, not because of its intrinsic incline characteristics. The game was a success becaus People who Know nothing about rpgs played it, and if you want to sell more you need to satisfy that audience and expand upon those elements that make the game accessible and fantastic. So, in the long run, the new games will bite you in the ass, becausr the very first and best ideas that made it good will be betrayed for other features. But this is obvious, and banal. You cannot trust them becausr by the very nature of their endevour, they're trying to expand as much as possible their customer target, that is exactly the Point of investing a lot of Money on things such as graphics and voice over in Order to cater to a large audience.

So we come to the next question: Can you forgive someone for not using the Money on rpg features? Obviously, every game is an economic Adventure, made to gain Money, but there is something else. See, in My opinion, the difference between old School rpgs and modern console rpgs is not some kind of dualistic interpratation of Gaming, but simply budget management. If you want to point on things such graphics, Action, cinematic dialogues, you get a popamole, and if you Point on dialogues, quest branching, skill implmentation, you get an old School. It's not automatic, but you can hire talented writers and game designers to create suchna product. Personally, this Simple idea makes me mad.

At this Point we arrive at the last question: Can true crpge be something more than a niche hobby? Personally, I think no. And it's obvious becauer in the very same moment the base audience becomes bigger, capitalism kicks in and something that was a form of art becomes an economic product with some aesthetics sprayed on top. When the products of incline start spredding, they become decline. The two things are two sides of the same medal: you cannot have incline without decline. And we must be grateful to the Great corruption For keeping this Little oasis lost and tight because it is the only way that it can exist. True crpgs must be directed to a small public, a niche public, otherwise they lose their soul.

Probably I had something else to say, but in My opinion, incline never ended, and maybe decline doesn't even exist. We call decline the shortage of good crpgs but this, by definition, is the incline we've been searching For. There is simply no reason to expect a new renaissance, it will never come. Look At big games such as poe and w2, they didn't deliver. And Know what? They were appreciated the most outside the codex. Angry joe (ANGRY JOE) liked poe, he found it delightful. And w2 was according to someone "the fallout 3 we never had". My 2 cents.

Last edited:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
So I'm making this thread to discuss about the terrible butthurt that has been tormenting me For quite a while. It has to do with AAA games and the apparently frequent behaviour of playing these games. Of Course, I'm talking about rpgs and in particular the witcher 3, but I don't want to focus only on this. Basically, I'm pretty sad about the fact that so many codex members play games Like fo4 or witcher3 despite the Great intellectual achievement the concept of decline represents. Basically, the question I ask you is: Can an AAA rpg be good?

In My opinion, no and I'll explain why. Now, according to many members witcher3 is a Great Experience, as can you can see in the ubiquitous polls about the 2015 gott, worthy of votes as high as a 7 or 8. I'm not Here to discuss the basis of such a claim (the game may be excellent) because I want to focus on the interaction between player base, rpg content and long term economic planning.
So you buy a big game, from a big company, and find out that the game is really Worth all the fuss: it has good Systems, enjoyable story, good writing and a big world to explore. Good, you say, finally a big developer making a good crpg. All is well.
I was on a train and a guy next to me said, to one of his friends: "hey buddy, I discovered this game, the witcher 3, you Know? one of those games where you can make choices and the story changes, that kind of stuff. Rpgs, that's hoe they're called". I was next to him and I thought that the guy would have loved the mass effect Series. See, he was after that kind of Experience where you think you can make choices that matter nothing, what he was really after was the cinematic Adventure and the superficial sense of freedom and control those games give you.
Now, the guys at the software House start looking at the sales figures and see that the game is a success, but the Point is, not because of its intrinsic incline characteristics. The game was a success becaus People who Know nothing about rpgs played it, and if you want to sell more you need to satisfy that audience and expand upon those elements that make the game accessible and fantastic. So, in the long run, the new games will bite you in the ass, becausr the very first and best ideas that made it good will be betrayed for other features. But this is obvious, and banal. You cannot trust them becausr by the very nature of their endevour, they're trying to expand as much as possible their customer target, that is exactly the Point of investing a lot of Money on things such as graphics and voice over in Order to cater to a large audience.

So we come to the next question: Can you forgive someone for not using the Money on rpg features? Obviously, every game is an economic Adventure, made to gain Money, but there is something else. See, in My opinion, the difference between old School rpgs and modern console rpgs is not some kind of dualistic interpratation of Gaming, but simply budget management. If you want to point on things such graphics, Action, cinematic dialogues, you get a popamole, and if you Point on dialogues, quest branching, skill implmentation, you get an old School. It's not automatic, but you can hire talented writers and game designers to create suchna product. Personally, this Simple idea makes me mad.

At this Point we arrive at the last question: Can true crpge be something more than a niche hobby? Personally, I think no. And it's obvious becauer in the very same moment the base audience becomes bigger, capitalism kicks in and something that was a form of art becomes an economic product with some aesthetics sprayed on top. When the products of incline start spredding, they become decline. The two things are two sides of the same medal: you cannot have incline without decline. And we must be grateful to the Great corruption For keeping this Little oasis lost and tight because it is the only way that it can exist. True crpgs must be directed to a small public, a niche public, otherwise they lose their soul.

Probably I had something else to say, but in My opinion, incline never ended, and maybe decline doesn't even exist. We call decline the shortage of good crpgs but this, by definition, is the incline we've been searching For. There is simply no reason to expect a new renaissance, it will never come. Look At big games such as poe and w2, they didn't deliver. And Know what? They were appreciated the most outside the codex. Angry joe (ANGRY JOE) liked poe, he found it delightful. And w2 was according to someone "the fallout 3 we never had". My 2 cents.

this is why i talk shit to you lol

you're a fucking retard through and through

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
popcorn_danny_devito.gif

Trashos

Arcane
You lost me somewhere on the way, so I am not sure we are on the same wavelength.

Why would anyone expect incline from AAA titles? When a company tries to reach a mass audience, the product gets watered down. If something good happens to come out of it, it is the exception to the rule. This happens with all products and not just RPGs.

Then, there are going to be some smaller companies that will cater for the niche crowd and produce some quality. That is capitalism too, btw.

To me, the core of the decline was when there were virtually no companies producing RPG quality for a while (a little while, like 10 years while). Luckily, we are past that point and hopefully the incline trend will continue.

EDIT: Btw, if PoE had been produced by some no name company and had suddenly appeared out of nowhere, we would all be hailing it as the 2nd coming of Mick Jagger. In short, PoE is incline as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Angry joe (ANGRY JOE) liked poe, he found it delightful
Oh yeah, the beaner advertising plant.
You shouldn't call Joe a beaner, there are a lot of "white" hispanics here who would take offense at that form of discrimination.

Also, who gives a shit that some retards like/play FO4 or Witcher 3?
Witcher 3 is only over supported on this board because of the unfortunate percentage of potatos, it still won't win GOTY, and Fallout 4 definitely won't, so who cares.
(I didn't actually read that so sorry if you came to a different conclusion after your first sentence.)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also Twitch3r has better quests and writing than most CRPGs fyi

All it lacks to be GOTY contender is some cargo cult turn-based combat.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

And a proper skill System, non-Action combat and skill checks. Also stats.
It has plenty of stats.

Skill checks can't be that important considering Underrail is a real GOTY contender.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted

And a proper skill System, non-Action combat and skill checks. Also stats.
It has plenty of stats.

Skill checks can't be that important considering Underrail is a real GOTY contender.
What do you mean with "plenty"? Sorry, I didn't say it right, I meant modifiable str, dex, int etc.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Ah so you want the familiar RPG-y names and methods. It has the effects that those stats tipically account for in CRPGs.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Either you have attributes or you don't. I understand that you are fond of twitcher but no amount of reasoning can transform an action game into a full fledged rpg.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Either you have attributes or you don't. I understand that you are fond of twitcher but no amount of reasoning can transform an action game into a full fledged rpg.
Interesting that all Twitch3r lacks to be a fully fledged RPG is some really superficial bullshit. Like introducing your favourite cargo cult stat system would require more UI changes than anything else.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Interesting that all Twitch3r lacks to be a fully fledged RPG is some really superficial bullshit. Like introducing your favourite cargo cult stat system would require more UI changes than anything else.
Skyrim is more an rpg than twitcher, 'nuff said.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Good thread. I remember my first shitty newfag thread too. It was about NWN 2. But it was mercifully shorter. OTOH I could've made a better point for NWN2 by including some nekkid mod screenshots but eh, whats's done is done. Would bang Elanee again.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
lmao

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Dude,Thats just... Wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom