Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime On AAA titles and the nature of incline

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Witcher 3 has (some of) the best quests and writing (and, if that's your thing, acting) to be found in cRPG's. It had some low points as well, sure. It's not perfect, nothing ever is. I also really like the fact that finally there isn't a difference whether a quest is given by a pisspoor shitfarmer or a king, they're all given the same amount of attention to detail and displayed in the same way.
Also the C&C isn't too bad. There's better, of course, but also way way worse.
As for its lack of stats, well: 'it is what it is' and after all you play Gerald which is a pre-generated character, not some random fuckwad you create yourself. And to be honest, I'd rather have Witcher's 'lack of stats' (and really, there is a lot of difference in gameplay depending on which mutation used/equipment worn) than PoE's 'lots of stats that don't really mean shit'.
Really looking forward to Cyberpunk game.

Also Gwent was by itself a more fun game than PoE.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Fuck you OP, we play what we want. Go scream against your wall, we don't give a shit about your opinion, fucking loser.
You're such a sad wimp that I'm happy that you'll never have any kind of power, you'd be a fucking puritan if so.
The sad state of your life is all your own, sorry.
Damn, just because I don't play popamole shit. You Know How many fucks I give about assholes Like you who are too coward to talk to real People Like this and find the courage only behind a monitor? Zero. Now go to Your frustrated life, retard.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Fuck you OP, we play what we want. Go scream against your wall, we don't give a shit about your opinion, fucking loser.
You're such a sad wimp that I'm happy that you'll never have any kind of power, you'd be a fucking puritan if so.
Damn, just because I don't play popamole shit. You Know How many fucks I give about assholes Like you who are too coward to talk to real People Like this and find the courage only behind a monitor? Zero. Now go to Your frustrated life, retard.
What's so popamole then? I'm listening....

Sorry Nameless Pun, I was drunk. But then, besides all insults, I still think that we can play whatever we want. Then criticize it. Like in critic.
I didn't play DA 2, DA:I, F4, Witcher 3, PoE, but that's not an excuse. I just don't have the time anymore. But should I had the time, I would have played them.
Did you know that in the 80s, Interplay's adventure games such as Borrowed Time or Origin's Ultima V were considered AAA?

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Rubbish. BG1 was once upon a time shitty AAA betraying Gold Box true RPGs. Wizardry 8 had to endure similar claims.

Let people play whatever they want. Time will judge and put everyone where they deserve. What do you care what other people play/endorse/like?

"Pure" RPG is a niche product nowadays, much like, for instance, pure jazz. And just like jazz, it has fusioned/permeated into all the other genres. Even football games have numerical stats nowadays. And the pure product still exists, in a niche that is equal, if not bigger, than it was 25 years ago. AAA semiRPGs don't hurt pure RPGs niche, on the contrary, they feed it new players. I am sure Fallout 4 will bring thousands of new players to FO1 and FO2, for instance. Because a small portion of new, younger players, will feel the curiosity, and some of them will discover how great were those games. So I am glad they make AAAs like that, why not? (Not to mention how I immensely enjoy watching some butthurt around here...)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rubbish. BG1 was once upon a time shitty AAA betraying Gold Box true RPGs.

That is not how the Baldur's Gate series started, actually.

Originally BioWare had a SPACE themed RTS game they were developing. They then approached Interplay with the game. Interplay had the D&D licence at the time and wanted to make a new D&D game, and asked BioWare to re-tool the game in the D&D setting, and that is how the Baldur's Gate series was created.

Of course had they been working on a TURN-BASED SPACE themed RPG and then approached Interplay, things would have turned out much differently....

Bullshit, it already has the latter two in any case.
No, it doesnt. In fact it has the best bits of writing since probably PST.
Controls arent too bad either, they just arent very good.
Well that settles it, I didn't realize it was a "fact", go plough yourself m8, the writing is terrible, and is made even worse by shitty characters, and cringey voice overs.
They're pretty bad, but more importantly is the fact that you believe they're better than the games the Codex likes. Which really has no reference for comparison, there are few twitchy games that the Codex likes, it's likely just you projecting your love for popamole, since shit TB controls are always better than shit twitch controls, as the ease of use is never as important when you aren't in real time.

Anyway, it's still bullshit, and the same kind of garbage you hear in Youtube comments for games like Fallout 3 or 4. The game isn't unpopular because of it's GREAT PST LEVEL WRITING, or Brilliant controls and amazing visuals :roll:, It's unpopular for it's shitty popamole combat, barely RPG status, No character Creation, horribly designed terribly unlikable batman-esque main character, shitty edgy tryhard content aimed at an audience of 13 year olds, failed attempts at grimdark, and not really having any real appeal that anyone can point out save the subjective "great writing" and pretty AAA graphics.
If it were more like you described it'd probably be rated closer to Fallout 4, as of now it's likely to be 3-5th top rated this year, which twitcher fags should be very pleased about, as opposed to having the delusional mindset that it deserves to be higher and would be if it were even shittier than it already is.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Rubbish. BG1 was once upon a time shitty AAA betraying Gold Box true RPGs.

That is not how the Baldur's Gate series started, actually.

Originally BioWare had a SPACE themed RTS game they were developing. They then approached Interplay with the game. Interplay had the D&D licence at the time and wanted to make a new D&D game, and asked BioWare to re-tool the game in the D&D setting, and that is how the Baldur's Gate series was created.

Of course had they been working on a TURN-BASED SPACE themed RPG and then approached Interplay, things would have turned out much differently....

Yeah, I had heard the story. Also Diablo 1 was once turn based, and Arena was about a gladiator league. But what counts is what was released.

Mustawd

I feel like we revisit the origins of the Infinity Engine like once every three months. Ever since Project Eternity got kickstarted...it was IE this and IE that.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well that settles it, I didn't realize it was a "fact", go plough yourself m8, the writing is terrible, and is made even worse by shitty characters, and cringey voice overs.
No, the writing is fairly good, even in most side quests and a lot of the characters are very good, the baron being the best of them, but other than dandelion i didnt actively hate anyone, and the villains werent the point of the game, so i was alright with him and his faction being bland. The voice acting is stellar and you obviously have no fucking clue what you are talking about.
And this criticism coming from the fallout4fag?

They're pretty bad, but more importantly is the fact that you believe they're better than the games the Codex likes. Which really has no reference for comparison, there are few twitchy games that the Codex likes, it's likely just you projecting your love for popamole, since shit TB controls are always better than shit twitch controls, as the ease of use is never as important when you aren't in real time.
:lol: I did reference a game, gothic to see if anyone took the bait. Anyway,i dont have a problem with twich games, im good at them and i enjoy games challenging me in different ways. Your criticism shows that to you flaws are whatever doesnt fit your preference, instead of objectively shit stuff.

Anyway, it's still bullshit
What? closing your post? But you still havent made a single well thought out argument. Just knee jerk retardation.

and the same kind of garbage you hear in Youtube comments for games like Fallout 3 or 4.
Poisoning the well?

The game isn't unpopular because of it's GREAT PST LEVEL WRITING, or Brilliant controls and amazing visuals :roll:
No, its unpopular because half of you retards hate before you try. Im willing to try any game before hating on it.

It's unpopular for it's shitty popamole combat,
But it doesnt have popamole combat bro. Are you even aware to what popamole makes reference to? can you stop being such an ignorant twat?

barely RPG status
You say it as if a game being or not classified as an RPG made it better in some way :lol:

No character Creation
Sure a big flaw, but they wanted to tell the story of geralt.

horribly designed terribly unlikable batman-esque main character
Id agree in witcher 1 and 2, but in 3 hes actually relatable, in part because he got his memories back, and in part because he gives a shit about someone else now, he has a family and friends and we get to see him interacting with them, we learn who he is.

shitty edgy tryhard content aimed at an audience of 13 year olds
Describes your posts better than any witcher game.

failed attempts at grimdark
How did it fail?

and not really having any real appeal that anyone can point out save the subjective "great writing" and pretty AAA graphics.
But it does have great writing, have you even played the game? The graphics didnt concern me, tho the facial animations and lip sync were pretty impressive and spot on, i know more than one bro lost sleep to get those right.

If it were more like you described it'd probably be rated closer to Fallout 4, as of now it's likely to be 3-5th top rated this year,
Fallout 4 is trash, its actually worse than fallout 3 in many many ways. In fact only the graphics and gameplay have improved, everything else went to shit and then kept going.

which twitcher fags should be very pleased about, as opposed to having the delusional mindset that it deserves to be higher and would be if it were even shittier than it already is.
But why is it shitty? whats your argument bro.

But why is it shitty? whats your argument bro.
I already did you cheeky cunt, the Witcher is a shit series that I have no investment in, the game to me, is an uninteresting non-RPG at it's very core. I couldn't muster the care to discuss more than I've already posted, nor get into a shitty quotefest with another twat with shit taste.
I need only quote-mine one of the points in that mess of a post to illustrate why there is literally no discussion to be had between us.

barely RPG status
You say it as if a game being or not classified as an RPG made it better in some way :lol:
Essentially exactly what I'm saying, which is why I'm on the RPGcodex, I literally do not give a shit about any other game genre and have never considered myself a gamer outside of RPGs. Tabletop or Vidya, if it isn't an RPG there are other things to waste my time on. Games with piss poor RPG elements obviously fall into that category.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

you discovered fallout 1 in 2016 and pst in 2015...prior to that you played and enjoyed games like mass effect which you have 'since forsaken'

this is why i don't believe that you're a med student, no one in med school could be this stupid lol

"i've changed my views since discovering the codex"

either you're a troll or some retard with either a nasty cocktail of personality disorders or some type of delta male social chameleon

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
ITT some morons think that a game being an RPG depends on its combat mechanics. But reflex or tactical-based gameplay, RT or TB, they all can be used for RPGs or non-RPGs.

lern2define

Lhynn

Arcane
I already did you cheeky cunt, the Witcher is a shit series that I have no investment in, the game to me, is an uninteresting non-RPG at it's very core. I couldn't muster the care to discuss more than I've already posted, nor get into a shitty quotefest with another twat with shit taste.
I need only quote-mine one of the points in that mess of a post to illustrate why there is literally no discussion to be had between us.
You are so full of shit.

Essentially exactly what I'm saying, which is why I'm on the RPGcodex, I literally do not give a shit about any other game genre and have never considered myself a gamer outside of RPGs. Tabletop or Vidya, if it isn't an RPG there are other things to waste my time on. Games with piss poor RPG elements obviously fall into that category.
Fair enough, you are not qualified to comment on a games quality then, and i can freely disregard your shitty opinion with the full knowledge you are just another retard that cannot judge anything objectively.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh great, another ad hominem thread. I like those, there are too few of them on Codex. :roll:

I didn't really enjoy Twitcher 3 either but not because "Looool, look at them dumb normies! RPGs have to be like the autistic definition I made up in my head, losers!!!", but because I neither liked the combat nor the level progression nor the equipment progression nor the soullless random NPCs nor the empty gameworld with monster nests and not much else in it. This open world is too huge for its own good, I don't like their formula for solving the open world vs stringent and gripping story problem. Imo they didn't succeed there and I don't enjoy the minute to minute gameplay the slightest.
But I'm willing to try it again at some point, the story was indeed great (at least what I played so far) and maybe I have to change my explore every nook and cranny mindset before trying this one again since exploration is completely pointless in this game.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Yup, exploration is usually a pointless waste of time, you dont actually need the extra points to get by, even in the highest difficulty. And by keeping up with the latest witcher armor you should be fine.
Itemization and progression are bad.

Fair enough, you are not qualified to comment on a games quality then, and i can freely disregard your shitty opinion with the full knowledge you are just another retard that cannot judge anything objectively.
Only a retarded autistic neckbeard would think that there's anything "objective" about anything you've posted, "Best writing since PST" is just some tired recycled vomit you slurped up from one of those shitty popamole subforums.

But yeah, me judging a supposed RPG on it's weak/piss poor RPG elements on this RPG board and labeling it as a shit RPG is FUCKING ABSURD.
Even so, there's more than the lack of RPG elements to make me dislike this game, all of which stand whether you detail every autistic niggle you have with those opinions or not. Even detailing your own "objective" bellyfeel reasons as to why you think diarrhea is delicious doesn't actually elevate your opinion, tell me moar about itemization!
So ultimately, the game not even being an RPG isn't why I dislike it, it's why i'm not interested in discussing it. I know that must sound insane to the type of autistic psychopath that spends days in the forums and threads of games they hate to obsess over their shortcomings,(You, hiver, Celerity, others) but to me it shows a level of care that I can't muster for a game that fails to appeal to me at it's very core.

Lhynn

Arcane
Only a retarded autistic neckbeard would think that there's anything "objective" about anything you've posted, "Best writing since PST" is just some tired recycled vomit you slurped up from one of those shitty popamole subforums.
Wat subforum, i was praising the writing of this bitch as i was playing it. and i played it on release.

But yeah, me judging a supposed RPG on it's weak/piss poor RPG elements on this RPG board and labeling it as a shit RPG is FUCKING ABSURD.
Its fucking absurd to judge the quality of a game based on nothing but uninformed assumptions, and its also fucking absurd to judge a game based on a single element you found flawed. Combat is alright, its not great but it does the job. Character system is a step backward from the one in witcher 1, but at least it doesnt get in the way and actually allows for different styles of gameplay.

Even so, there's more than the lack of RPG elements to make me dislike this game, all of which stand whether you detail every autistic niggle you have with those opinions or not. Even detailing your own "objective" bellyfeel reasons as to why you think diarrhea is delicious doesn't actually elevate your opinion, tell me moar about itemization!
Its not bellyfeel or whatever the shit, its good stuff. especially the first third of the game, but characterization and voice acting in general are superb.

So ultimately, the game not even being an RPG isn't why I dislike it, it's why i'm not interested in discussing it. I know that must sound insane to the type of autistic psychopath that spends days in the forums and threads of games they hate to obsess over their shortcomings,(You, hiver, Celerity, others) but to me it shows a level of care that I can't muster for a game that fails to appeal to me at it's very core.
The decline must be fought on all fronts. But joking aside, i just like correcting stupid cucks, wouldnt be here if i didnt have fun calling people names and laughing at yours and others stupidity and lack of taste. And how did this become about me you retarded cunt? youve yet to give any reason as to why you didnt like the game other than "its just not my kind of thing, so its shit and i hate it".

Is the game flawed? yes it is, deeply flawed. Its still worth playing if you want to enjoy a good story with great characters in an interesting and well crafted world.

The decline must be fought on all fronts. But joking aside, i just like correcting stupid cucks, wouldnt be here if i didnt have fun calling people names and laughing at yours and others stupidity and lack of taste. And how did this become about me you retarded cunt? youve yet to give any reason as to why you didnt like the game other than "its just not my kind of thing, so its shit and i hate it".

Is the game flawed? yes it is, deeply flawed. Its still worth playing if you want to enjoy a good story with great characters in an interesting and well crafted world.
You are the decline though m8. "Correcting" even more evidence of what a delusional retard you are. You didn't correct shit, if I bothered to respond to your shitty wall of quotes with a contrary quip about how you're wrong I wouldn't be correcting you, I'd be a retard wasting my time arguing with a faggier retard. Also there's something really bizarre about you using the word cuck, since you've always come off as being part of the incessant, whiny, snarky, passive aggressive faggots that populate my ignore list. You and your feminine anime avatar have always been very off putting to me, like those weird faggy 4chan degenerates that pretend to be girls on the internet, not helped by having a name like Lhynn. You definitely seem like you own a cuck shed.

Now that I got that off my chest:
Its fucking absurd to judge the quality of a game based on nothing but uninformed assumptions, and its also fucking absurd to judge a game based on a single element you found flawed. Combat is alright, its not great but it does the job. Character system is a step backward from the one in witcher 1, but at least it doesnt get in the way and actually allows for different styles of gameplay.
It's only absurd depending on the context. When I'm on the dex, I'm judging RPGs, this game does not feel like an RPG, it plays like any action adventure story game, heck, awful Bioware shit felt like more of an RPG than this game. And I didn't base it off of uninformed assumptions, I based it off of the limited amounts of time I could stomach playing W2 and 3, which is admittedly not very long. Those two games, along with farcry, are the only games I've ever stopped so abruptly and early. I only tried the thing because it was so recommended and everyone cited how it wasn't shit like the witcher 2. IT'S THE SAME FUCKING SHIT, I was suddenly expecting amazing voice acting and writing, but no, it's still awkward garbage lines with a weird dumb angst that seems like it wants to be GoT but can't, awful or cheesy VA, and I don't give a shit if the later game has better VA. You spend most of the game listening to your voiced protag faggot talk in his excruciating solid snake impression anyway.

If the writing is PST level, than the writing isn't what makes PST's story or world great. Witcher did not engage me, I didn't give a shit about my stupid mary sue character or his fucktoy(s). I actually felt like a complete retard when I played both of those games, like, I could only imagine a pimply faced nerd who uses an anime avatar enjoying and being engaged in the weird shit I was watching, I think the only comparable shame to being caught playing TW would be being caught plaing a weaboo hentai simulator.

the witcher of all games lol
What do you mean? The witcher is a fucking masterpiece that would be 10/10 if only it had more troll farts and angst.

Edit: (Added Lhynn to my list of weirdos with faggy avatars, silencing this autistic BackNForth before it continues.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom