Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I really appreciate having good codexers fighting the good fight over at Obsidian Forums since I'm too bored to do it my own damned self. It helps to know Obs isn't only getting input from exiled Bioware fans.

Keep on trukkin' yarr :salute:

I'm already getting big sanity loss, I don't know can I go on. I tried to drown last topic on Wall of Texts but like someone in here said, they are like fucking hydras.

Commander Xbox

Learned
bwahaha the biodrones and comminity of effiminate nerds is already ruining this game. enjoy your politically correct dating simulator fags

thats if this shit even gets out the door in the first place

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
photo-47349.png

"It was an example, you retard. Jesus christ, how does your brain handle breathing.

Better just endlessly argue semantics."

I'd laugh my ass off if this promancer gets banned or warned over this post

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
photo-47349.png

"It was an example, you retard. Jesus christ, how does your brain handle breathing.

Better just endlessly argue semantics."

I'd laugh my ass off if this promancer gets banned or warned over this post

not on topic, plz remove

where are the mods

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Because you should be doing your duty and roaming the cesspits of Obsidian-boards yourself.
That, or because I want to shield you from the suffering you'd endure there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think there is definitely some forum influence. How much I don't know, but I'm concerned they're going to be paying too much attention to what people say and think on there.
Obsidian has no known history of pandering to the base desires of their fans so this seems like a total non-issue to me. They said they're going to make an Infinity Engine-style game for IE-game fans (who admittedly number in the low millions and have a lot of varying opinions and priorities) so that's what I'm expecting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Exactly. There is the right way to listen to fans (Obsidian) and then the wring way (BioWare). Obsidian has pretty much been doing the same thing they always have since the old Interplay forums as BIS.

aris

Arcane
Lol. What is this shit? Dating simulator? Whichever infinity engine game (the games that project eternity takes clues from) was ever a "dating simulator"? Can anybody even name one? Hell, let's make the hypothesis weaker: Can anybody name even one where courting actually played a significant role compared to gameplay around combat and non-romantic dialogue and exploring?

Hell, even recent bioware games, though they suck, are not dating simulators. If any of the Bioware games are dating simulator, then fallout is a look-at-yellow-pixels simulator, which is a description that would be just as apt (or daft).

Grimlorn

Arcane
Well you guys know better than me. I was never on the BIS forums. It's just I see about 95% vocal retards on the Obsidian forums now and can't help but be concerned after seeing them flip so quick on the female full plate armor thing. Which was a pretty retarded thing to change so quickly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer was always against boob armor. It was no doubt Feargus Urquhart, who was also responsible for the boob armor in DS3, who probably said "Let's test the waters with the boob plate first! If no one complains it might help us sell more copies!"

Another fun fact is that the romances in previous Obsidian games exist because of "internal pressure," not externally. Care to guess where that internal pressure is coming from?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had assumed they dropped the boobplate because Josh's buddies on SomethingAwful whined about it. People whose opinions he seems to actually respect, unlike the Obsidian forum unwashed hordes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
UPDATE: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/334677

Update #28: What We're Up To

Update #28 · Oct. 23, 2012

What We're Up To

Thanks to you, we're funded. Now the work begins. At this stage of the project, we are still in pre-production, so at Wednesday morning's team meeting we started talking about the passion-stirring topic of logistics. Before we start scripting quests and writing dialogues, we need to understand the full scope of what we're setting out to do. In some ways, the basics stay the same for us as they did a decade ago. But we have new problems to solve and we need to have them all worked out before we enter production.

The key elements we have been focusing on are:
  • The size and structure of the world - This game will be... large. And it will have two big cities, exploration areas, and a 15-level mega-dungeon. Ensuring that the world is planned properly requires examination of what has worked for us in the past and what hasn't. The original Baldur's Gate had a number of wilderness areas, but low density of content in many of those areas. Baldur's Gate II had much greater content density, but fewer wilderness/pure exploration areas. We'd like to make sure we have pure exploration areas while still maintaining good content density.
  • Dynamic environment integration - Animated objects, interactive objects, ambient visual effects, water, dynamic lights and shadows -- all of these elements can be featured even within a "2D" world. Our goal is to strike a good balance between visual fidelity, performance (including memory on disk), and the amount of time environment artists have to spend setting up their areas. We prefer dynamic solutions that are relatively easy to author, as we want our environment artists to maximize their efficiency.
  • Lore and story - What we've developed so far has been the result of a small number of impromptu discussions and high-level efforts. Last week, we (including George -- thanks!) had our first meeting to increase development of the setting and story. We discussed major themes we'd like to explore, the order in which we'd each like to develop aspects of the lore and characters, and what elements we each were having trouble wrapping our heads around. Our immediate focus is on the central conflict of the story and the various factions that have a stake in it.
As the song goes, we've only just begun, but the team is excited and determined to make a game that lives up to your, and our, expectations. You've put a huge amount of trust in us, and we want to repay you with the best RPG we can.

Next week, we'll be talking about system design and how we're approaching mechanics like class design, advancement, and the role of equipment. We're also working on fulfillment of some of the Kickstarter pledges and we'll have more info on that in the next few weeks. Finally, if you missed our D&D session from last week, we have it up on theYouTubes for your enjoyment!

Update by Josh Sawyer

FORUMS: Discuss Update #28 in the Project Eternity Forums

PE-Dungeon-Levels.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Woo" as Chris would say.

Also I forgot to post this image when the Kickstarter ended, doing it now:
rkvsw3.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom