Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Now that DA2 is out, how do you feel about ME3's chances?

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
DragoFireheart said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
It's possible that Bioware won't fuck up ME3, but unless I hear good things about it on the codex it's likely to be a no-buy.

You are aware that majority wise, the codex fucking hates the Mass Effect series right? Don't expect much Mass Effect 3 love from here.

There's a difference between the codex liking a game and the codex confirming that quality wise the game is shit. I know some codex don't like BG2 but the gripes and complaints I have heard confirm it to at least be a decent game.

If the codex doesn't like Mass Effect 3 but confirm that it isn't a pile of shit like DA2, I might buy.

Odd, I always thought the Codex was a major advocate of the unrestricted 'Try Before You Buy!' system as promoted by TPB and many another tracker. Have I been mistaken this entire time?

Gosh, I feel like a hoodlum now...

Nael

Arcane
Longwinded & Pretty said:
DragoFireheart said:
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
It's possible that Bioware won't fuck up ME3, but unless I hear good things about it on the codex it's likely to be a no-buy.

You are aware that majority wise, the codex fucking hates the Mass Effect series right? Don't expect much Mass Effect 3 love from here.

There's a difference between the codex liking a game and the codex confirming that quality wise the game is shit. I know some codex don't like BG2 but the gripes and complaints I have heard confirm it to at least be a decent game.

If the codex doesn't like Mass Effect 3 but confirm that it isn't a pile of shit like DA2, I might buy.

Odd, I always thought the Codex was a major advocate of the unrestricted 'Try Before You Buy!' system as promoted by TPB and many another tracker. Have I been mistaken this entire time?

Gosh, I feel like a hoodlum now...

DragoFireheart does not reflect the views and opinions of the Hivemind. Please disregard him.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It can be good as a shooter, but it will suck at story.

That entire thing of Reapers invading Earth screams of a plot deprived game. If they went more sci-fi, like the game was claimed to be, there would be some sort of ancient civilization that probably built the Reapers and in ME3 you would have to uncover their secrets and shit and the game would revolve solely on that.

The Reapers are the threat you must eliminate and for that you must unite the galaxy into doing so. Failure to gain certain allies would result in consequences as to how you stop the Reapers and what collateral damage would result from your actions...

Scratch what I just said. Let me lay out my view of what the ME series should have been all about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a good series finale, ME2 couldn't have happened the way it did. ME2 should have been solely about finding out the means to stop the Reaper threat as everything pointed out by the end of ME1. Shepard said there was still much to be done regarding the coming of the Reapers and in ME2 he should have continued on that path, regardless of working for Cerburus or not. Sure, stop the colonies abductions if you will but instead of spending 80% of the time "building up the team" and doing unimportant sidequests for them, have your spare time dedicated into uncovering more about the Protheans or even older races for clues. The VI on Ilos was inoperative? SO WHAT!? There is an entire fortress down there with lots of technology ready to be salvaged and studied. ME2 should have been about doing that, finding out clues about the Reapers. Have that as the main quest instead of stopping the Collectors. Collectors should have been a secondary quest that still carries consequences into the future (ME3), but not as important nor vital as preparing yourself for the greater threat.

Then in ME3 you unite the galaxy with what you have accomplished in ME3. Your previous actions now reflect on who you can get at your side and at what costs. The game should be about that - doesn't matter if your discoveries led to a big fucking cannon of doom that tears a now hole into Reaper ships in one shot. At least you would have something plausible to work with. The meat of ME3 then is the aftermath. You get varied endings based on your actions from ME1 and 2 and who you managed to save in ME3. Have you, the player chose what planets/species to save in ME3. Also your odds of success are measured on what you accomplish in ME2 and your actions in ME3. Have the entire game be a full out galaxy wide war and all you do is play the galactic general, positioning battle fleets and picking where you will personally assault. You can't be everywhere so this leads to many different outcomes. Include failure as a possible result of your missions and then the Mass Effect franchise would be spoken highly by everyone that actually likes sci-fi.

That would be a mature, dark game in a good way. You are solely responsible for the fate of the galaxy and there are no easy choices to be made. You can also be selfish enough as to save Earth and fuck the rest (Pure Renegade), it's a valid approach.

But we all know that's not what gonna happen. ME3 will have something bizarre and incredibly retarded as a conclusion. You probably will find out the Reapers die to microwave ovens or wifi and that's it. Plot wise it will suck, I have no doubts about that. Gameplay can be interesting if they keep most of what they did in ME2 though and enhance it a little bit, not start from scratch.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That was fucking beautiful racofer. I wished you worked at Bioware, you could have single handedly made Mass Effect the greatest incline ever. Granted now, I wouldn't wish that upon even my most hated enemy.

:salute:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
racofer said:
It can be good as a shooter, but it will suck at story.

That entire thing of Reapers invading Earth screams of a plot deprived game. If they went more sci-fi, like the game was claimed to be, there would be some sort of ancient civilization that probably built the Reapers and in ME3 you would have to uncover their secrets and shit and the game would revolve solely on that.

The Reapers are the threat you must eliminate and for that you must unite the galaxy into doing so. Failure to gain certain allies would result in consequences as to how you stop the Reapers and what collateral damage would result from your actions...

Scratch what I just said. Let me lay out my view of what the ME series should have been all about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a good series finale, ME2 couldn't have happened the way it did. ME2 should have been solely about finding out the means to stop the Reaper threat as everything pointed out by the end of ME1. Shepard said there was still much to be done regarding the coming of the Reapers and in ME2 he should have continued on that path, regardless of working for Cerburus or not. Sure, stop the colonies abductions if you will but instead of spending 80% of the time "building up the team" and doing unimportant sidequests for them, have your spare time dedicated into uncovering more about the Protheans or even older races for clues. The VI on Ilos was inoperative? SO WHAT!? There is an entire fortress down there with lots of technology ready to be salvaged and studied. ME2 should have been about doing that, finding out clues about the Reapers. Have that as the main quest instead of stopping the Collectors. Collectors should have been a secondary quest that still carries consequences into the future (ME3), but not as important nor vital as preparing yourself for the greater threat.

Then in ME3 you unite the galaxy with what you have accomplished in ME3. Your previous actions now reflect on who you can get at your side and at what costs. The game should be about that - doesn't matter if your discoveries led to a big fucking cannon of doom that tears a now hole into Reaper ships in one shot. At least you would have something plausible to work with. The meat of ME3 then is the aftermath. You get varied endings based on your actions from ME1 and 2 and who you managed to save in ME3. Have you, the player chose what planets/species to save in ME3. Also your odds of success are measured on what you accomplish in ME2 and your actions in ME3. Have the entire game be a full out galaxy wide war and all you do is play the galactic general, positioning battle fleets and picking where you will personally assault. You can't be everywhere so this leads to many different outcomes. Include failure as a possible result of your missions and then the Mass Effect franchise would be spoken highly by everyone that actually likes sci-fi.

That would be a mature, dark game in a good way. You are solely responsible for the fate of the galaxy and there are no easy choices to be made. You can also be selfish enough as to save Earth and fuck the rest (Pure Renegade), it's a valid approach.

But we all know that's not what gonna happen. ME3 will have something bizarre and incredibly retarded as a conclusion. You probably will find out the Reapers die to microwave ovens or wifi and that's it. Plot wise it will suck, I have no doubts about that. Gameplay can be interesting if they keep most of what they did in ME2 though and enhance it a little bit, not start from scratch.

That sounds like a... RPG!?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Racofer has just proved that everything is his fault. Why are you not working in the industry, you fuck? With your rad skills in every goddamn department you could be the next Chris Avellone.

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Andyman Messiah said:
Racofer has just proved that everything is his fault. Why are you not working in the industry, you fuck? With your rad skills in every goddamn department you could be the next Chris Avellone.

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

Lack of political tact?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I half expect ME3 to end on another fucking cliffhanger to set up a ME MMO (because that's where publishers think the money is nowadays) or another trilogy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xor said:
Yeah, I half expect ME3 to end on another fucking cliffhanger to set up a ME MMO (because that's where publishers think the money is nowadays) or another trilogy.

We won't be seeing a ME MMO anytime soon, after KotOR fails horribly.

My personal guess it is will NOT end in a cliffhanger, as the next "series" is not really related to the Sheperd saga (from what I remember from the BIO boards). It will be a proper finish to this saga.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
My personal guess it is will NOT end in a cliffhanger, as the next "series" is not really related to the Sheperd saga (from what I remember from the BIO boards). It will be a proper finish to this saga.

They ALL say that, but invariably in the last cutscene/bit of text there's the "you've won!....or have you?" insinuation, whether it is a lone creature escaping into the undergrowth, or the sudden darkening of the eye of a hero and the hint of an evil smirk.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
commie said:
Jaesun said:

They ALL say that, but invariably in the last cutscene/bit of text there's the "you've won!....or have you?" insinuation, whether it is a lone creature escaping into the undergrowth, or the sudden darkening of the eye of a hero and the hint of an evil smirk.

(I hope I am remembering right) but on the BIO forums they did say they are ending this trilogy properly. Of course EA could step in and ASSUMING CONTROL and fuck it all up....

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
Racofer has just proved that everything is his fault. Why are you not working in the industry, you fuck? With your rad skills in every goddamn department you could be the next Chris Avellone..

Is Racofer Chris Avellones Forum Alt?

Or is Chris Avellone Racofers Alt?

MajorNova

Novice
Look at ME3 teaser trailer, then calculate the time passed since ME2 was released.

It just might be good, and even better than ME2.

lol jk its gonna be horrible rush job
2vs554x.jpg

Huh, seems like everybody else had a dissimilar view on the ME series. I actually liked the first one a lot better, and found the second kind of disappointing, mostly on account of the more streamlined, but rather bland gameplay.

Was thinking of writing a review, but maybe I'm really off base here.

As for ME3, after seeing what EA has done to Bioware, forcing it to push out games on the same schedule as Madden releases...I'm not too optimistic.

torpid

Liturgist
As has been said already, the ME and DA teams are separate. And let's not forget that Bioware also has a team working on the Star Wars MMO game. It seems to me that the DA team had the underachievers and the washed-up has-beens.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Huh, seems like everybody else had a dissimilar view on the ME series. I actually liked the first one a lot better, and found the second kind of disappointing, mostly on account of the more streamlined, but rather bland gameplay.

Was thinking of writing a review, but maybe I'm really off base here.

As for ME3, after seeing what EA has done to Bioware, forcing it to push out games on the same schedule as Madden releases...I'm not too optimistic.

I had often entertained the though of doing a ME and ME2 write up/review from the angle of what Bioware/EA now consider "RPG's" Considering both of Bioware's 2 titles (now in mass production mode) are now Action RPG's. It really makes me wonder, what part of their games they actually DO consider RPG elements?

Punching people?

You could certainly do that justice.

Anyways, I need to finish that damned Serpent Isle review first. :/

Captain Shrek

So... err... guys!

Whats the verdict on ME series?

Shall I touch it with a 10 foot long pole?

Is it worth trying?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So I hear some people in this thread wanted to see a blog but were too lazy to spend a few minutes to select-rightclick-search some names. Hmmm....
Patrick Weekes on Dragon Age said:
The game came out today. Above 90 on Metacritic, great sales if the pre-orders are anything to judge by, and a whole lot of really excited fans. It was a game made with love, a deliberately old-school CRPG with cutting-edge technology. It's got a ton of content, from humorous Easter Eggs to epic magic to all-too-human intrigue. It's unapologetically hard, even on Normal. People are already comparing notes and realizing just how different their stories are based on decisions they made.

I'm going to play the hell out of this game, and I'm going to marvel at the amazing game the team put together and be grateful for getting the chance to have been a tiny part of it, even for a few months.
Sounds trustworthy. Nothin' except the announcement regarding ME3 by the way.

Edit: Oh hey, twitter
Gotta go to bed earlier. Too much DA2.
@arch4ngel I envy your free time sooo much. Not even to Deep Roads yet. :(
Seems like they enjoy this crap they make. :M

ricolikesrice

Arcane
still not having played Mass Effect 2 i m curious when i read people claiming they "improved" the gameplay.

what do they mean by that ?

i read that all abilities are now on one, short cooldown and that sounded lik a prettystupid move ... removing what little "tactical depth" :)lol:) ME 1 might have had ... mind you *sounded* - i havent played it so tell me if its better than it sounds and why.

also...
is the level design now better (gameplay-wise), i.e. not just corridor after corridor ? are there more varied encounters ? is it challenging on higher difficulty ? (and not just via hitpoint inflation ? )
what makes ME2 a better shooter than ME1 as some claim ?

mind you i m only interested in "gameplay", dont really care if they improved story or not.

i wasnt particullary fond of ME1 but i enjoyed it more than DA:O for sure. (maybe because it was shorter and the filler combat wasnt THAT tedious )

MajorNova

Novice
ME2 gameplay is significantly better, even if it is streamlined to hell. I didnt play it recently but i think cooldowns are the same only for same group of powers , as in biotic, tech, etc. Classes are much more defined in ME2 and each one has unique abilities.

Abilities in general got overhauled , and there are new "ammo abilites" , like cryo rounds , inferno etc,basically what ammo upgrades were in ME1 but they work slightly different.

All guns use ammo now , and you will find it scatterd on maps or drops from enemies.

There is probably more but I cant remember any other me1>me2 differences atm

Captain Shrek said:
So... err... guys!

Whats the verdict on ME series?

Shall I touch it with a 10 foot long pole?

Is it worth trying?

Yes if you go into it with knowledge that ME1 is at mos rpg lite and ME2 is just a shooter with some dialogues.

Project: Eternity
ricolikesrice said:
what makes ME2 a better shooter than ME1 as some claim ?

The weapons in ME2 just feel much more responsive. I think the fact that they got rid of the "put points into Pistol for accuracy" system is mostly responsible for this. In ME2, if you aim at a point, the shot will go there, not to a random point in a absurdly wide circle as determined by your skill in ME1. Of course now you don't have the "skill based RPG mechanic" any more, but I don't miss it at all because it simply wasn't the least bit fun.

You can now use all weapons that your class offers, or rather, you must use them because you can run out of ammo fairly quickly unless you play on Normal (which is Super Easy if you're using a mouse rather than a controller). Each weapon in ME2 has a fairly distinct feel, in contrast to ME1 where you had millions of the fuckers in zillions of different versions, but they all felt like the same crap but with slightly different numbers attached.

The companion AI is also improved in ME2. In ME1 they were outright retarded, and while they are not amazing in ME2 either they at least aren't utterly rage inducing. The enemy AI also seems somewhat better, which adds to the fun since it feels just a little less like popping brainless moles. The combat in ME1 felt strangely sterile and artificial in comparison. I replayed ME1 at some point and was astounded how lame the shooting was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom