Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Now that DA2 is out, how do you feel about ME3's chances?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dragon Age 2 is an utter failure as both a fun game and especially as an rpg. Worse, it feels like an utterly rushed botchjob. Which isn't that amazing considering the measly 1.5 year development cycle.

The jury on Mass Effect 3 is however still out. Seeing how Mass Effect 2 came out in january 2010 and how 3 is destined to hit the shelves in the holiday season of 2011 it once again seems like a very limited timeframe to develop a good game. Especially when trying to end a trilogy with a bang instead of a whimper. What are your expectations?

FatCat

Educated
They will most likely keep all the same mechanics from the first game , reuse most textures and models , there still won't be some alien females (forgot what race was garrus) , game will be short as fuck but pretty fun and will end with cliffhanger and get dozens of DLC.
Will be praised by payed critics :salute: and will be worth a pirate.

Seems this year is fall of BioWhore there is just no way it will get any awards with so many superior titles from other developers coming out in 2011.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
ME2 was already streamlined as it is compared to DA:O so that will make it easier to rattle off another dating sim without the distraction of trying to cut out complicated game mechanics.

From what I understand they already had the whole story arc written already by the time ME2 was released and they just cut it up to fit two games. So that won't be a problem either.

It will be more of the same I think. There's nowhere lower to go. The only thing will be the nature of the story and if most game franchise endings are anything to go by, it will be a shitty tacked on ending that doesn't explain much and instead raises its own questions, a hook for any possible games coming after.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I follow one of the devs blogs and from what I have heard so far I don't foresee any problems yet that will effect Mass Effect 3. I've followed both ME and ME2 development reading his blog, and he is quite open (when he can be) about concerns. Also the Mass Effect and Dragon Age teams are completely separate. I think the Mass Effect team is more tightly bound by a love of the setting and the game, than the schizophrenic nature of the Dragon Age team, as well as having that one person leave the DA team as you quoted earlier Trash.

Anyways, the Mass Effect series is not an RPG, so wrong forum. It's an action game. And no, shut up volourn.

If EA makes Bioware fuck this up, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Got a link of that blog, Jeasun? I immensely enjoyed the ME games so far but after seeing the horrid nature of DA2 and that very short dev timeframe I am rather sceptical. It's like seeing what happened to Origin, Westwood and Bullfrog happen all over again...

Jezal_k23

Jaesun said:
I follow one of the devs blogs and from what I have heard so far I don't foresee any problems yet that will effect Mass Effect 3. I've followed both ME and ME2 development reading his blog, and he is quite open (when he can be) about concerns. Also the Mass Effect and Dragon Age teams are completely separate. I think the Mass Effect team is more tightly bound by a love of the setting and the game, than the schizophrenic nature of the Dragon Age team, as well as having that one person leave the DA team as you quoted earlier Trash.

Anyways, the Mass Effect series is not an RPG, so wrong forum. It's an action game. And no, shut up volourn.

If EA makes Bioware fuck this up, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!

What dev would that be?

Project: Eternity
I was very optimistic before I saw the DA2 demo, and now I'm extremely wary. I was very surprised by ME2's quality, gameplay and writing, and had big hopes that they could actually pull off "putting back RPG mechanics" after making the gameplay fun (as opposed to ME1 which was a terrible shooter), albeit at the cost of some nonsensical lore changes. I could overlook that the "heat clips" don't really fit into the universe because it was much more fun to play the game with them.

But, since ME already is an action game that sorta fits into the AWESOME BUTTAN mold I wonder if EA can even fuck things up in that regard. Bio got the gameplay basics down pretty well in ME2 and I don't think it really needs a lot of big changes, so I hope they were pretty much left alone and could polish the gameplay a bit more and finish the story.

RPGMaster

Savant
Well it can't possibly be worse than ME2 right? I mean that's got to be a scientific impossibility.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
Personally I don't see it being much of an issue, as, going beyond the obvious fact that ME's an Action Adventure and not an RPG (definitely more player skill involved than character skill for starters), there's one major difference between the two series that hits me:

Dragon Age's background and setting come across as a 'Look at ME! I'm another generic Lord of the Rings knock off! Weeeeee!'

Mass Effect, on the other hand, comes across as a cheap B-movie sci-fi in terms of setting and presentation. And it freakin' works.... well, at least to me...

In other ways it's like comparing movies like the (previously mentioned) Lord of the Rings trilogy to something more along the lines of Serenity (and Firefly for that matter). The former is going after the fantasy nuts who want to see how it holds up to the source material (ie: Dragon Age being the spiritual successor to the 'Divine!' BG series), where the latter is going more after the hardcore Whedon fan (or, in the matter of this discussion, the 'Hardcore' console TPS gaming bro).

So yeah, really don't see ME's development getting pooched at all here. Barring a massive shift in popularity towards the next 'big!' gaming genre.

mondblut

Arcane
I hope it will bury bio for good. Not only it will rid us of their faux-RPG travesties, not only it will make thousands of utterly despicable subhumans cry for weeks, it will also bring us back to hating Bethsoft as the sole crappy mainstream RPG developer again. Profit all around.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It's possible that Bioware won't fuck up ME3, but unless I hear good things about it on the codex it's likely to be a no-buy. I'm pretty disgusted with Bioware at this point and the excuse that they are with EA doesn't fucking fly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DragoFireheart said:
It's possible that Bioware won't fuck up ME3, but unless I hear good things about it on the codex it's likely to be a no-buy.

You are aware that majority wise, the codex fucking hates the Mass Effect series right? Don't expect much Mass Effect 3 love from here.

Overall, I cannot really add much to Mondbluts excellent summary. The fall of Bioware will be a sight to behold.

I will add this;

However it may turn out, I hope the fans here check for secret malware when it arrives...and make sure you don't criticise the game. Hopefully you will all be glad knowing you are promoting such a brilliant company.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
It's possible that Bioware won't fuck up ME3, but unless I hear good things about it on the codex it's likely to be a no-buy.

You are aware that majority wise, the codex fucking hates the Mass Effect series right? Don't expect much Mass Effect 3 love from here.

There's a difference between the codex liking a game and the codex confirming that quality wise the game is shit. I know some codex don't like BG2 but the gripes and complaints I have heard confirm it to at least be a decent game.

If the codex doesn't like Mass Effect 3 but confirm that it isn't a pile of shit like DA2, I might buy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Here, me me try to cast Summon Skyway and show you how wrong you are. I'd try to cast Summon 1EyedKing but It doesn't seem to work anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom