Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NMA's big to-do about nothing posted as advertised

Whipporowill

Erudite
No, but I hardly think it's due to not caring - rather than unability to meet the deadline set by the publisher? I won't say ToEE was perfect, and I won't blame what Troika had to take out. They messed up in not getting it done on time, but Atari should've been smart and delayed the game if it wasn't finished - it wouldn't have cost them THAT much, in consideration to what they lost on bugs they didn't QA.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Given the fact that we usually lambast developers for taking way too long to develop a game, it's only fair that we do the same to Troika for taking 18 months to develop an incomplete game that they already possessed an engine for before they took on the task of developing the game.

While Atari certainly deserves some of the blame for not delaying the game or giving it proper QA (and being the main reason for the game's abundant bugs) Troika is completely to blame for the game's short campaign, uninteresting areas, lifeless NPCs, crappy AI, pointless vignettes (which would have given the game so much more life were they actually developed and fleshed out), tedious first area, and boring storyline.

To pose a hypothetical situation, even if Atari gave Troika an extra month or two to work on the game to clean up the bugs, the game would have still been in a rubbish state due to its content, and neither Troika nor anybody else would have had the bugs or the constant slowdowns to blame for the game's main failures.

Whipporowill

Erudite
That still doesn't support your claim of Troika not caring about ToEE, however mediocre you seem to come to think the game is all of a sudden. And while the game doesn't really live up to it's possibilites (that can be seen in the engine, the combat system and char developmen) - it's likely due to a too short dev cycle. As for claiming they have a pre-existant engine, you know it was modded beyond recognition and took quite some work, even if somewhat less than a brand new one.

Oh, and as for quoting Nietzsche twice in a day. Gee. :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Given that I used to unfairly biased in favor of Troika, I invented a lot of excuses to rationalize the game's failures and weak points and found ways to pin the blame on Atari, instead. That is no longer the case. It is completely futile to do so, as it only promotes poor game development by excusing poor developers for their mediocrity by creating excuses to rationalize their decisions. To quote Nietzsche, "It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people."

As I previously mentioned, I used to be a fanatic, perhaps even one of the most zealous, and as such I found it in my conscience rather than my intelligence to rationalize and excuse their every failure. I was in error of judgment for the purpose of appeasing my conscience. After all, how could I betray the figures of my worship and adoration?

As for claiming they have a pre-existant engine, you know it was modded beyond recognition and took quite some work, even if somewhat less than a brand new one.
This happened before (See: This is very important) the development of TOEE even started. Before they were assigned the job. Before they were given the license. Before the 18 months. I am not talking about Arcanum's engine. I am talking about the engine they used in TOEE. The graphical engine. The combat engine. The things they built from scratch or modded beyond recognition for the purpose of developing a new game. The culmination of all this work and effort was the very tech demo they showed to Atari which netted them the task of developing a licensed D&D game.

They had 18 long months to create a game on an engine they already had. They failed to do so. That is all there is to it.

Whipporowill

Erudite
No it's not, you dolt. For instance - the combat engine, while it might have been tb, can hardly have been planned for a D&D game, as they probably had less clue than we had about them making one. So what was IN the combat engine previous to getting the ToEE license? Huh?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
A generic turn-based one, like the one featured in Arcanum. It's not difficult at all to implement rules that consist of nothing more than fairly sophisticated (for a 5 year old) modifiers. It's just dice. The movement in the game is hex-based as Arcanum was, not free-form. If WebRPG and WebRPG users can do conversions for various RPGs in a couple of weeks (and we're talking about just one guy working on a modification, not a whole group of people), there's no reason why Troika would have taken any longer than that, either. Unless it speaks volumes of their ineptitude.

As for them taking 3 whole months to convert 3.0e rules to 3.5e rules, I don't fucking buy that. It took my DM less than a couple of days to get everything sorted out in our campaign.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Exitium said:
As for them taking 3 whole months to convert 3.0e rules to 3.5e rules, I don't fucking buy that. It took my DM less than a couple of days to get everything sorted out in our campaign.

That must be about the dumbest things you ever said Rex. You're aware of a thing called programming, which is pretty much different than your smartalec GM "sorting out the rules" in a few days? First they have to read all the new rules (a week or so), secondly there's revision - seeing what they'd have to change/how as well as who to do it (a few weeks probably), then there's general implementation and new bugs that pops up due to new and changed code. Get with the program and start making sense.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Programming? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Oh no, you invoked the programming rule, that means it takes 2 years to do anything because you aren't a programmer. Bullshit. These guys program games for a living so saying that it takes a long time (how long is a long time? 3 months?) to change a few rules is flat out ridiculous.

Changing little details in the ruleset has little, if nothing to do with programming. Most, if not all of the rules are in an unencrypted database which even a newbie like me can mess around with, and I have. What do you think CO8 does? If we wanted to shift it back to 3.0 rules, we could easily do that. Jesus, our CO8 patch is completely bug-free (not including preexisting bugs in the engine), and the changes we make do not cause bugs. They are just little numbers in a readable database that take no more than a couple of keystrokes to change. Want to change a 1d8 sword to a 3d6 sword? No problem. Just replace 1d8 with 3d6. Now that's really hard.

It does not take "a few weeks probably" to read the fucking SRC. Wizards of the Coast posted a complete detail of changes between 3.0 to 3.5 so it isn't as if they had to reenter everything from scratch and even if they did, it wouldn't have taken more than a few days to do so, if 2-3 people worked on it at the same time.

Why the hell would 'new bugs pop up'. There's no changed code. It's just a freaking database. It's like changing your e-mail address from whip@rpgcodex.com to whipporowill@rpgcodex.com in the profile menu, without even having to verify your password everytime you do that.

As for the changes, see: http://www.users.bigpond.com/steven_coo ... evised.htm

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WOW! Gone for a few hours and the posts are enmassing. Let me catch up at least... :D

"Eh, I didn't. I liked it at first (when I started playing), then it became obvious that there are still no choices except for the ones that don't really matter, the combat was a joke, feats/skills selection was abysmal, linear gameplay, etc. It was a better game then NWN though."

EWh. I swore you were one of the regs who liked it besdies its faults. No biggy. As for being better than NWN? No. Better than the OC? Yes. And, yes, I'm a BIO fnaboy because I prefer one BIO game over another. LOL

"Yeah, because "didn't hate"=love."

All you have to do is pay attention to what BIo devs say about their D&D/KOTOR games now or what theyw ere saying as they wer emaking them. Not to mention, their dedication to NWN's future. Yeah, that's surely a sign that they didn't love working on those games. The proof of them enjoying working on those games is there whether youa dmit it or not.

Another example is how Bg came about in the first palce. They were going to make an RTS; but Feargus approached them about using the D&D license which Interplay had and BIO jumped at the chance. Remember, I never bashed Troiak for agreeing tow ork on a D&D game like Troika because it was obvious they WANTED to do it. However, they don't really want to do a RT w/pause game; they feel they have no choice. That don't bode well.

Next.

"It's more of a specualtion that makes sense. If you think about it. Rephrasing an old saying "if Obsidian didn't exist, Bio should have invented it". Well, maybe they did"

No. The only expalnation that matter sis the truth and the truth of the matter is that a bunch of pissed of ex Interplay employees went and made their own company. Geez... Don't make it more complex than it is. The fact that Obsidian is working on two BIO sequels is more to do with the fact that despite BIO's past problems with Interplay; it's awesome they are 'allies" of Feargus and Co. Not some mad conspiracy.

"ToEE has many flaws, yet combat isn't one of them. It's one of the best implementation of DnD rules, and comparing it to NWN bastardized combat was silly, imo."

No. Whining about comparing two D&D RPG combat systems is silly. Not. It totally makes sense to comapre the two. Afterall, you just did. What a loppionoro.

"Fair enough. So, if you are "fairly certain" that Volourn wasn't comparing in that sense, tell me in what sense he compared them? Was it "they are both computer games" sense?"

I thoguht it was clear how I was comapring them - complextity or rules and combat options. It doesn't matter if you like NWN. The bottom line it has lots of combat options. Only TOEE has more. I think its a very fair comaprison.

And, I have never said NWN was a more accurate D&D rules implementation than TOEE. Not once. However, it is a more accurate D&D implementation than TOEE though. Take THAT.

"Something tells me that he meant that both are "deep and complex combat systems". Do you agree with that, my esteemed colleague?"

Theya re. That's a fact. Deal with it. Thankfully, BIO didn't stop there when making the game. They actually added memorable character, a decent story and underrated story on the netz, some cool quests, and a game that is still going strong.

"For starters, Troika is a small dev house (20-30 people) and can't afford to support a product full time without getting paid."

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa! Want a tissue for your issue? Big friggin' whoop. BIO's second game was a million + hit using the D&D name to sell it which led to a sequel and BIO being launched into the upper stratosphere of game devs. Troika's second game was a solid seller seemingly but nowhere near the level of success as BG both finanically or critically and it was also D&D with Troika now being forced to scramble to change future plans becuase they couldn't find even one publisher that shares their vision. See, the difference here? easy. BIo knows what it's doing and what it wants to do. Troika seems to be throwing things in the air and hoping they stick. LOL

Troika has no exuse. stopc rying on their behalf espicially since TYroika had a lot more going for them entering the amrket than BIo did. Afterall, Tim Cain had a 10+ history in game development while BIo's only experience was in medical software. That surely didn't stop them. R00fles!

"RTwPers tend to not pay so much attention to combat anyway"

Bullshit. Where do you idiots come up with this crap. Just read *any* BIO game focused board to see your little pathetic theory smashed to bits.

"To pose a hypothetical situation, even if Atari gave Troika an extra month or two to work on the game to clean up the bugs,"

That's not hypothetical. Troika *did* get an extension. It apaprantly wasn't long enough.

"As for claiming they have a pre-existant engine, you know it was modded beyond recognition and took quite some work, even if somewhat less than a brand new one."

Another exuse. Many people, including myself, asked Troika point black if the duration they had was long enough to make the game properly. The answer was *always* yes. Why, you ask? In their words, it's because they had a pre made engine already for the game when Atari first contacted them. This suuposedly saved them time off devlopment because it was a pre existing engine. Blame Troika for this.

P.S. VD wasn't trolling.That was RP and him daring to call me a fanboy who sucks BIO titties and then stooping down even further and calling me Visceris.

That is all. For now...

P.S.S. Long posts. I hate 'em! :x

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
After all, how could I betray the figures of my worship and adoration?

Thine treason against thy Cainite Lords will not be contemplated passively. Thou can be sure thy folly will be rewarded with spears of holy fire raining upon thine festering hide.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
P.S. VD wasn't trolling.That was RP and him daring to call me a fnaboy who sucks BIo titties and then stooping down evenf rutehr and calling me Visceris.

Yes. What an evil and misguided youth that Role-Player is. That sick puppy should be taken down.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah. I'm not that harsh. That would be Visc' response. More proof that I'm NOT Visceris. Thank you for the retraction.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You've been fufilling the sites quota for that today. I wouldn't want to step on your job.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If anything, I am an ex-Cainite High Priest, RP. Cast off your idols, and dispense of your worshipping ways of any who would be Gods. Zeal is better served elsewhere.

Oh yeah, you two chuckleheads should stop turning this into a micro-argument between yourselves and stick to the actual freaking topic.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
If anything, I am an ex-Cainite High Priest, RP. Cast off your idols, and dispense of your worshipping ways of any who would be Gods. Zeal is better served elsewhere.

Repent! Who is the boss of you? Who is the boss of you? :)

Honestly, I think you're right ion your statements, although I'm looking at both yours and Whip's statements in an equal light. I can't say I'm a Troika fanboy. I've been saying for quite some time that I felt their games until now have had some problems, and ToEE in particular left much to be desired. I have no special interest in Bloodlines, either; I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does turn out to be more than a goth loser parade.

Oh yeah, you two chuckleheads should stop turning this into a micro-argument between yourselves and stick to the actual freaking topic.

Nah, I'm through. Vol can eat the whole cake.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Oh yeah, you two chuckleheads should stop turning this into a micro-argument between yourselves and stick to the actual freaking topic."

Um... I have. Look at my uber long post as evidence. The sidetwiner is being done because RP was being a punk and hiding from the issue.

I just await VD and Whip daring to refute the factual facts I provided. :?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
I just await VD and Whip daring to refute the factual facts I provided. :?
You've finally posted a fact? That calls for a celebration!

All you have to do is pay attention to what BIo devs say...
Bio developers say a lot of things... Unfortunately, a lot of them are hype and bs.

Not to mention, their dedication to NWN's future
I don't know if anybody told you but they gave NWN2 to Obsidian...

The only expalnation that matter sis the truth and the truth of the matter is that a bunch of pissed of ex Interplay employees went and made their own company
And immeditely got KOTOR 2 to work on. The timing is interesting there. It's very likely that Feargus left Iply only when he had an agreement with Bio. It's also likely that Bio was the one who suggested that to him.

Obviously Bio was interested in a third party to handle the sequels. Feargus was the best and probably the only right choice. He already worked with Bio on a number of games, was satisfied using their engines and working with licensed stuff, etc. He probably jumped at this opportunity, as any person in his position would have.

The bottom line it has lots of combat options. Only TOEE has more. I think its a very fair comaprison.
I don't think that a RT game can ever have the same level of complexity as a TB game, but that's an opinion. NWN does have many options but many of them don't make sense in RT and lose their depth and complexity (like AoO, Combat Reflexes, 5-foot step, charge, etc)

However, it is a more accurate D&D implementation than TOEE though. Take THAT.
Are you talking about multiplayer that was supposed to be just like PnP but sucked nonetheless because of numerious technical limitations which explains why 99 out of 100 modules are generic crap?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Bio developers say a lot of things... Unfortunately, a lot of them are hype and bs."

Yeah, only pay attention to what BIO says if it confirms what you already beleive. Hahaha. That's what is considered selective listening.. or in this case.. selective reading.

"I don't know if anybody told you but they gave NWN2 to Obsidian..."

Did you read? I said specifically NWN's future. Did anyobody tell you that a NWN update is coming up soon? Did anyone tell you about Digital Distribution where BIO is gonna make DnD modules (which according to you they want no part of anymore), and sell them (though I won't be buying them)? Yes, BIo is done with NWN. Or not. On top of this, they do have a role to play in NWN2's development. Afterall, Obsidan is reporting to them monthly on their progress both engine, and game wise.

Why do you continue to spread rumours, myths, and innuendo?

"It's very likely that Feargus left Iply only when he had an agreement with Bio."

No. It's very likely that he left Interplay when he had enough of their shit. However, when you've been in the business as long as Feargus has been you do make friends, and allies. Remember, he didn't just used BIO has a contact for KOTOR; but he also has contacts at both LA and Atari. Read his interviews fo a change. The bottom line is that Feargus left Interplay because what occured there. Like I said above, don't make it more complicated than it actually is.

"NWN does have many options but many of them don't make sense in RT and lose their depth and complexity"

No. Come back when you actually play NWN for more than 2 seconds.

"Are you talking about multiplayer that was supposed to be just like PnP but sucked nonetheless because of numerious technical limitations which explains why 99 out of 100 modules are generic crap?"

How about the following:

1. Multiplayer - Afterall, DnD is a group game not a SP who jacks off while playing game (well.. thatd epends on the pnp group...)

2. A DM client. This is the big one. Nothing matches this. Only VTM even tried and it didn't do 8anything* wrong.

3. As for the mods, when youa ctually play more than 1 crappy mod than come back and argue about mods. Until then youa r eblwoing smoke. Afterall, I haven't even played 100 NWN mods (not even close) and I like the game so i doubt you have as well.

4. The story, the characters, the role-playing (even though TOEE got the multiplee ndings right while NWN didn't) are all much closer to pnp than TOEE is.

5. Cry to your blue in the face; but it won't make NWN suck as muchas you wish it did. It just makes your face blue. not very logical on your part.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
A generic turn-based one, like the one featured in Arcanum. It's not difficult at all to implement rules that consist of nothing more than fairly sophisticated (for a 5 year old) modifiers. It's just dice. The movement in the game is hex-based as Arcanum was, not free-form. If WebRPG and WebRPG users can do conversions for various RPGs in a couple of weeks (and we're talking about just one guy working on a modification, not a whole group of people), there's no reason why Troika would have taken any longer than that, either. Unless it speaks volumes of their ineptitude.

That's just idiotic. Yes, it is hard to go from a generic turn based combat engine to something like what ToEE had because they didn't have a D&D combat system or character system in place. It's a hell of a lot more than "just dice". It's all the damned rules that really apply to combat. Implimenting the feats alone is a fairly large task, and how they affect combat. You have to do a lot of groundwork on the feat system alone, then hook them in to the code in the correct spots. You have to impliment things like AoOs, five step rule, movement in general, and so forth.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
"Bio developers say a lot of things... Unfortunately, a lot of them are hype and bs."

Yeah, only pay attention to what BIO says if it confirms what you already beleive. Hahaha. That's what is considered selective listening.. or in this case.. selective reading.
I pay attention to everything Bio says officially (it's sorta my job here), but since they've been guilty of hyping and misinforming, I'm skeptical about everything, regardless of whether it fits my beliefs or not.

...where BIO is gonna make DnD modules (which according to you they want no part of anymore)
As you say, stop lying. I've never said "they want no part of anymore", I doubted that they loved it, which is a different thing.

...though I won't be buying them
Why? Out of curiosity.

On top of this, they do have a role to play in NWN2's development.
Yes, the management role, not the development one (which is what love to NWN would have been all about)

Why do you continue to spread rumours, myths, and innuendo?
Dunno. Because you like reading them? lol

No. It's very likely that he left Interplay when he had enough of their shit.
One would think that he had enough of their shit for a long time, yet he quit just in time to jump on the KOTOR ship.

People start new game companies only when they have a game in mind. They don't start companies and then start shopping around. Since Obsidian didn't start working on their own game, they had KOTOR 2 in mind before Feargus started the show. Really, simple logic.

Remember, he didn't just used BIO has a contact for KOTOR; but he also has contacts at both LA and Atari. Read his interviews fo a change.
I did read the interviews. Do you think LA and Atari would have given him K2 and NWN2 if Bio didn't want him to get them? Many people know LA and Atari folks, many people (developers) would die to work on such hot name-making titles as K2 and NWN2, yet Feargus got it the moment he established a company. Anyway, it's no big deal, and it changes nothing.

"NWN does have many options but many of them don't make sense in RT and lose their depth and complexity"

No. Come back when you actually play NWN for more than 2 seconds.
Come back when you get a decent computer that can run ToEE and dig the difference.

"Are you talking about multiplayer that was supposed to be just like PnP but sucked nonetheless because of numerious technical limitations which explains why 99 out of 100 modules are generic crap?"

How about the following
:
"Yes" would have done it. I'm not really interested in MP components of games, and if you say that NWN MP is great, I'll take your word for it. I had a negative impression of NWN overall, but I returned the game relatively early, and probably didn't have a chance to experience awesome, mind-blowing, filled with creativity and role-playing modules, and other goodness you mentioned there.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Exitium said:

That's just idiotic. Yes, it is hard to go from a generic turn based combat engine to something like what ToEE had because they didn't have a D&D combat system or character system in place. It's a hell of a lot more than "just dice". It's all the damned rules that really apply to combat. Implimenting the feats alone is a fairly large task, and how they affect combat. You have to do a lot of groundwork on the feat system alone, then hook them in to the code in the correct spots. You have to impliment things like AoOs, five step rule, movement in general, and so forth.

Well, okay. I stand corrected. You're right about that. It wouldn't take them more than 6 months to finish that portion of the game, though.

Once you get the groundwork for 3.0e in, as they did, it isn't difficult (or code-breaking) to implement most of the 3.5e changes, which mainly consist of nothing more than slight changes to the modifiers. The calculations remained intact, because it isn't as if 3.5e rewrote the way the entire game was played. The removal of partial actions is probably the most drastic change. I still contend that it would not take them 3 months to make the changes, given that the groundwork was already there, unless for some reason WOTC decided to sit on their ass for a very long time mid-development. For anyone to suggest that they had to redo the entire groundwork from scratch to make the changes is just flat out idiotic, and it would also untrue - because remnants of 3.0 rules are still present in the game's various databases.

Now, if WOTC and Atari sitting on their collective butts are indeed true (and it probably is, seeing the way they handle TOEE's patches), and that they had to delay the development of the combat system, that's still no excuse for the game's other lacklustre aspects. I'd scarcely believe that a single person was responsible for everything. There's really, absolutely no reason why the story was as drab as it was, and why the locations were not at all interesting, the NPCs lifeless. I'm sure you could point out that they had a word limit, which they did - so why did they spend all of their time on Hommlet's boring quests, neglecting the rest of the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom