Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NMA's big to-do about nothing posted as advertised

Whipporowill

Erudite
Flaming Troika? What did I miss? I think it's generally a dissapointment due to hype - as noone (at least in this thread) has critiziced what was IN the interview. We already knew they were going 3D (and why wouldn't it be 360 degr zoom?) and RT with pause.

Me, I wasn't even flaming Odin. Just Rexie-poo here.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought what Bioware introduced to the RPG market was the games sucking ass, which is a style Ex adopted for all his posts :P

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Whipporowill said:
Flaming Troika? What did I miss? I think it's generally a dissapointment due to hype - as noone (at least in this thread) has critiziced what was IN the interview. We already knew they were going 3D (and why wouldn't it be 360 degr zoom?) and RT with pause.

Me, I wasn't even flaming Odin. Just Rexie-poo here.

Darn right. I've been flaming because of the HyPEMaKKINE. If a news item is going to be uber-hyped, make sure it is WORTH it. The news was interesting, but not enough to justify the 'Codex hype.

Pah.

Xoanon

Novice
Exitium said:
While I don't think Bioware 'invented' it per se, they definitely introduced the gameplay element to the modern RPG market....

IIRC, XCOM Apocalypse re-introduced 'realtime with pause' to modern audiences - RPG or otherwise about 12 months before Baldurs Gate. Personaly though, I think the huge success of Diablo probably had more of an influence on Bioware's thinking than anything else.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
The interview was a good read. It wasn't what I was expecting, but that's fine. NMA is a good site and deserve respect just the same as the Codex does.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Personaly though, I think the huge success of Diablo probably had more of an influence on Bioware's thinking than anything else."

You are stupid. If that were true, BIO probably would have stuck with their original idea for 'The Iron Throne' instead of making a RPG set in the Realms.

But, hey, keep deluding yourself into thinking otherwise.

And, no, I'm not flaming Troika as much as the pathetic hype. Though, I do find it humourous that the TB Gods tm known as Troika are now seemingly heaed into the same direction as Bioware. Hahahaha!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Indeed Volourn, and if they do end up making a real time with pause game, it might not be as good as Bioware's upcoming Dragon Age.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It might even be better"

Hahahaha! Only a Troika fanboy who thinks TOEE was the epitome of roel-playing would suggest that. Then again, Troika fanboys are known for their "Troika is too smart to do a hybrid combat system!" Hahahahaha!

Whipporowill

Erudite
Geez, Volourn. I like TB, but all games I like aren't TB? As for Troika doing a better RT game than Bio - in what way wouldn't that be possible? Maybe in the narrow world which you inhabit, states stay consistant. But not in mine. While I still want TB games, I enjoy games such as Gothic (very much, may I add) which are RT.

Stop yammering like a madman.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vol, are you being serious when you say only someone who is a fanboy of Troika would believe they could pull off an equal or better RTWP system than Bioware, or are you just pulling a Visc?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, his argument holds water I think, cause I'm a Troika Fanboi and I think they could do a better job than Bio. then again, I havent played a Bio game yet.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
It holds water, alright - enough to drown him. I'm not a Troika fanboy, but I think that if Troika put themselves to it, they could possibly develop an RTWP system in the same level, or better, than those of Bioware.

Whipporowill

Erudite
ToEE was superior mechanics-wise and Arcanum settings-wise. So that's pretty much the "truth" (tm) actually? To me, there was more polish to the IE games, than to NWN and expansion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Troika has yet to make a solid turn base game (though I eprsonally liked Arcanum) despite being The TB Gods tm. Yet you expect them to make a RT w/pause ga,e as good as the Kings of RT W/pAUSE tm known as Bioware on thier first try? Ooo, the arrogance of Troika fanboys. Gotta love it.

No matter how much they fall flat on their face they still defend their master. What's funny is that inspite of TOEE's apparabtly sales success, Atari still doesn't want to give the goahead for an expansion or sequel. Hahaha. LoLOLers!

TOEE wasn't superior mechanics wise. Rules wise is completely different than mechanics as rules are just a aprt of the mechanics.

Arcanum's setting was very good; but it doens't match the quality of BIO's version of the Realms in the BG series.

Remember, folks, Troika doesn't even really want to make a RT w/pause game. They seem like they feel they have to do it. Not a good sign tm.

Next trolling response, please. :twisted:

Surlent

Liturgist
Read the whole interview, Volo.
Lenny sais they're not gonna make a game realtime/pause unless they are fully supporting the idea.

I’d be fired up to make an in depth RPG whether it was turn based or real time with pause because I love making RPGs. It’s just part of developing games that you’re given boundaries to work within, whether they’re budgetary or design related. If we were never able to make another turn based RPG I wouldn’t like it, but if a paused real time system is what it takes to get a game made that we want to make, we’ll make that the best paused real time system we can – and we’ll be 100% behind it as well. We would never develop anything begrudgingly. Another aspect to all this that needs to be considered is that we like challenging ourselves. I mean, we’re making a real time first person RPG right now which is completely different from Temple, which was different from Arcanum, which was different from Fallout.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I don't think to many here would elevate Bio to the Godhood of RT to begin with (basically you're on your own)? So that shouldn't be to hard to top for us that don't like the system. BG was ok, NWN was meh - when talking about combat. The best RT systems are singleplayer and action games or RTS's , for some odd reason... I wonder why? :roll:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Troika has yet to make a solid turn base game (though I eprsonally liked Arcanum) despite being The TB Gods tm.

So, what did you feel was not solid in Temple of Elemental Evil's turnbased combat model? Is there game which you feel was more solid than ToEE in regards to turnbased combat? Yes? No? Why?

Yet you expect them to make a RT w/pause ga,e as good as the Kings of RT W/pAUSE tm known as Bioware on thier first try? Ooo, the arrogance of Troika fanboys. Gotta love it.

No, I expect them to make something good if they put enough work into it. If that's being arrogant and a fanboy, whoa.

No matter how much they fall flat on their face they still defend their master.

At this point, your hyperbole is beyond asinine. Is there a chance you can revert to being reasoned with, or am I going to sit trough and listen to your unjustified verbal fellatio of Bioware again while you accuse me of blindly defending Troika?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Surlis: I read the entir einterview. And, let's face it, the credo of Troika has been tb, tb, tb. This 'sudden" shift just proves they realzie that their way is not the best way to stay in business. It's called compromise. Yes, it's good they are willing to compromise but any Troika non tb game is a compromise as it wouldn't be their first choice. The rest of it is just him trying to feel better with the decision to go rt/w pause.

"I don't think to many here would elevate Bio to the Godhood of RT to begin with (basically you're on your own)?"

Huh? i would *never* elevate BIo to the realm of Godhood in regards to RT. Are ya daft, and blind? I said they are Real Time /w Pause Gods. There is a difference. Nice way to lie about what I wrote. Not to mention, the people "here" wouldn't elevate BIO anywhere other than a pile of shit so I don'tt ake that fact seriously. Come back to me when you stop lying about what I posted.

"BG was ok, NWN was meh - when talking about combat."

Only an idiot would say that BG had better RT/w pause combat. I mean, fighetrs in comaprison to NWN were merely click, click, click while in NWN your fighter has LOTS of options. Heck, only TOEE offers as much options from games I've played as NWN does.

"So, what did you feel was not solid in Temple of Elemental Evil's turnbased combat model?"

Let me see. First off, I never said the tb combat itself wans't solid. Overall, it was solid; but the game itself was not. You gonna dispute this factual fact? However, in regards to combat, TOEE's many bugs, and EASINESS of combat kinda hurts it overall.

"Is there game which you feel was more solid than ToEE in regards to turnbased combat? Yes? No? Why?"

Yes. FO. Though TOEE has more combat options, Fo had the HUGE advantage in regards to challenge that more than makes up for anal rules implemenation.Plus, overall, FO is a more solid tb game because its a more complete package as a game.

"No, I expect them to make something good if they put enough work into it."

That's better than the claim by some 8cough* Whip *cough* who thinks by virtue of it being Troika they'll automatically make better RT w/ pause games than BIO whose forte is that. Heck, even JE which is 'action' has RT w/pause elements.

I think Troika can *easily* make a good RT w/pause game; but best BIO on their first try when they are only make it grudgingly? I highly doubt that.

"At this point, your hyperbole is beyond asinine."

Which is why i fit in her eperfectly. In your hyperbole about my asinineity explains why you fit in here as well. :twisted:

"Is there a chance you can revert to being reasoned with, or am I going to sit trough and listen to your unjustified verbal fellatio of Bioware again while you accuse me of blindly defending Troika?"

Please don't cry because I npoint out that by virtue of BIO having more experience in RT.wpause games that Troika won't swoop in and automatically make a better one in their first try. If the best you can do is call me a BIo fanboy; you lose. At leats Bioware doesn't seemingly "lower their standards" to please publishers on the scale that Troika does. For being the TB Gods they sure as heck make a lot of RT type games - Arcanum and Vampire included.

Next.

P.S. To be not so negative, I liked the screenshot, and all the whiny anti robot morons should stop crying. It looks cute so go away.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
And, let's face it, the credo of Troika has been tb, tb, tb.
The credo of Troika has been role-playing games as proven by Arcanum, a great role-playing game with a crappy TB/RT combo.

This 'sudden" shift just proves they realzie that their way is not the best way to stay in business.
For being the TB Gods they sure as heck make a lot of RT type games - Arcanum and Vampire included.
Exactly, so what's with the "sudden shift" nonsense?

all the whiny anti robot morons should stop crying. It looks cute so go away.
It does. Giant robots totally rule.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom