Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Would you apply the same logic to images you shared on instagarm or facebook? Or tweets?
We already do. You expressly sign away your rights when you upload to those sites, in a variety of ways. That might be shit for a host of different reasons, but that is completely beside the point; the point being that your examples are nonsense and your point is shit. Even if it wouldn't be that way and your examples weren't retarded, a family photo is materially different from something uploaded whose purpose is only to be used by others non-commercially in any variety of ways, which are inherently bound to a chain of copyrights and trademarks already to boot.

And ignoring the legal perspective either way, from both a moral and a utilitarian perspective, this is nothing but good. It benefits the end-users, ensures the common ground on which mods are made and re-made, shits on baby retards, and maintains a common recorded history which remains accessible longer than it might otherwise have been.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, even if you agreed to whatever magical collectivist justifications they put in their T&S. And in the case of signing over distribution rights, I'd wager it is in violation of the IP laws of whichever country's laws NM is bound by.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, but thankfully, you are fully within your rights to sign away copyright and distribution rights for publishing just fine. You're being extra-retarded if you're going to claim otherwise.
The copyright to a work is always with the creator of that work until they sign it away via licensing or sale or whatever. This is the same for photos or mods. What you're doing is making retarded arguments to support a retarded site changing their T&S so that they can take away some of those rights. If you want creators to be deprived of those rights when any corporation can easily take down their stuff with DMCA, then you're arguing for wanting to be cucked. Have a nice day cuck.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The copyright to a work is always with the creator of that work until they sign it away via licensing or sale or whatever. This is the same for photos or mods. What you're doing is making retarded arguments to support a retarded site changing their T&S so that they can take away some of those rights. If you want creators to be deprived of those rights when any corporation can easily take down their stuff with DMCA, then you're arguing for wanting be cucked. Have a nice day cuck.

Aren't there multiple places that already let you know that the content uploaded to their platform is regarded as theirs? I mean, it feels like you're acting on the assumption that the Nexus is a free postbox to dump in whatever you want, while in reality it's someone else's product that you're using.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
It's not like that you couldn't find those deleted mods on any other site on the web. A mod creator has to deal with the fact, that once he uploads something to the net, it will stay there forever.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
The copyright to a work is always with the creator of that work until they sign it away via licensing or sale or whatever. This is the same for photos or mods. What you're doing is making retarded arguments to support a retarded site changing their T&S so that they can take away some of those rights. If you want creators to be deprived of those rights when any corporation can easily take down their stuff with DMCA, then you're arguing for wanting be cucked. Have a nice day cuck.

Aren't there multiple places that already let you know that the content uploaded to their platform is regarded as theirs? I mean, it feels like you're acting on the assumption that the Nexus is a free postbox to dump in whatever you want, while in reality it's someone else's product that you're using.
AFAIK no. Sites like facebook, instagram, flickr, yotube, etc don't claim ownership of your work. Tik Tok did / does and there was a minor kerfuffle about it, so I don't think its mainstream; at least yet.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Intellectual property itself is anti-humanist, because it's a form of capital.
There is no system more humanist than capitalism since it is the only one not based on coercion. Without intellectual capital you would not have any of the video games you enjoy since there would be no incentive to make them. The same is true for medicine, inventions, computer software and other fields. With the new terms of agreement on the Nexus this is once again shown to be the best system. If content creators don't like it they can vote with their feet and host their mods elsewhere, nobody is forcing them to host their mods there as they wound under communism.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So how does EULA cover sharing intellectual property rights? As the owner of the mod, a person can do anything it want with it, unless they also give permission to manage files to nexus. I mean i'ts a dick move, but they don't have to accept new eula -they can move to moddb or steam.

Curratum

So how does EULA cover sharing intellectual property rights? As the owner of the mod, a person can do anything it want with it, unless they also give permission to manage files to nexus. I mean i'ts a dick move, but they don't have to accept new eula -they can move to moddb or steam.

You realize they will have a tiny fraction of the audience they would on those two other platforms, right?

Norfleet

Without intellectual capital you would not have any of the video games you enjoy since there would be no incentive to make them. The same is true for medicine, inventions, computer software and other fields.
Oh, come on, that's a load of horseshit and you know it. Free Open Source Software is still a thing.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

You realize they will have a tiny fraction of the audience they would on those two other platforms, right?

Yes. They could still as a sign of protest do a mod page on nexus, and don't place any files, instead giving links to moddb in description. If nexus allows this for ENB then maybe it would work with moddb. But they are their competitors so maybe not.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
On one hand this isn't fair to creators, but on the other hand I'm fucking sick of finding a mod with 20 prerequisite mods, only to find out that one of those prerequisites has been deleted, making the entire house of cards fall.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Without intellectual capital you would not have any of the video games you enjoy since there would be no incentive to make them. The same is true for medicine, inventions, computer software and other fields.
Oh, come on, that's a load of horseshit and you know it. Free Open Source Software is still a thing.
It is a thing. A poor shoddy thing which nobody in their right mind would use when they have superior proprietary alternatives at hand. Once again the free market has triumphed, people have the option to use terrible communist free software if they want to but most people don't and professionals never do. In the case of someone making something half decent supposedly for free it is also almost always built on innovation and design achieved by capital to begin with. If you look at the sort of games users here play virtually all of them required financial backing from capitalists. The same is the case with industry standard software. If the open software clones of 90's games were superior then people would flock to them and abandon the big budget games. They do not and that proves Sid Meier's Civilization is better than Freeciv.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Glad to see this is happening. So many mods are all conjoined that is always breaks something when a modder yanks their shit. These faggots are also the most sensitive, autistic fuckers imaginable. They love holding everyone up for ransom. This might take power away from the creator, but when the creators are epic faggots like ApolloDownSyndrome and the rest, it's 100% worth it. Fuck them.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can anyone come up with a scenario where this will be shit for content creators, outside of when they're tossing a hissy fit and want to delete their content in a show of power?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Can anyone come up with a scenario where this will be shit for content creators, outside of when they're tossing a hissy fit and want to delete their content in a show of power?

No. Because all legitimate reasons (Copyright, Theft, Mod is Deprecated on the current version of game engine) are still allowed to be requested.
The only reason you can't yank it down is for mental break downs over politics or because someone called you a shithead on Reddit.

It's very telling which mod makers are bitching and which ones don't care.
Almost makes you wonder what their intentions were for getting into modding at all.

:hmmm:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

No. Because all legitimate reasons (Copyright, Theft, Mod is Deprecated on the current version of game engine) are still allowed to be requested.
The only reason you can't yank it down is for mental break downs over politics or because someone called you a shithead on Reddit.

It's very telling which mod makers are bitching and which ones don't care.
Almost makes you wonder what their intentions were for getting into modding at all.

:hmmm:

Ok that sounds like incline.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Modders may be drama queens with very serious issues of entitlement, but too many mod users are low IQ uneducated peasant consoomers, which is why I never took "sides" in this childish conflict.

As for the exact topic here, Nexus' reputation has most certainly taken a hit, and I believe most modders dislike this approach even if they won't necessarily go against it just yet. I predict an exodus of many modders to other sites, or they'll just make their own site and host their files there, with inevitable clause that should their files be found somewhere else there will be "cease & desist" orders against it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Modders may be drama queens with very serious issues of entitlement, but too many mod users are low IQ uneducated peasant consoomers, which is why I never took "sides" in this childish conflict.

As for the exact topic here, Nexus' reputation has most certainly taken a hit, and I believe most modders dislike this approach even if they won't necessarily go against it just yet. I predict an exodus of many modders to other sites, or they'll just make their own site and host their files there, with inevitable clause that should their files be found somewhere else there will be "cease & desist" orders against it.

Hosting a site like the Nexus costs a huge amount of money. Their costs right now I would guess are easily mid-tier 6 figures. You can't just snap your fingers and create a multi-regional cloud network with redundancy and high availability.

AKA it's apples to oranges comparing this situation to something like the NeoGaf forum exodus.
Text is cheap. it's 100's of dollars compared to 100's of thousands.

Second.. They have zero grounds for a "Cease & Desist".
With the exception of custom art assets.. You own exactly 0% of your mod. Zero. Zip. Nodda. In many cases the act of publishing your custom assets into a mod, then also waives the right to those assets within the context of said mod, otherwise you could turn around and sue Bethesda for selling your mod.

I'm not gonna lolyer here and maybe I have some details wrong - but mod makers way over assume what their rights are.

Ironically - the evil Nexus would still likely honour a mod deletion request if it's deemed "stolen" because Robin is actually a pretty even handed admin who does cater to the mentally unhinged far more than any other sites do.

dacencora

Would you apply the same logic to images you shared on instagarm or facebook? Or tweets?
We already do. You expressly sign away your rights when you upload to those sites, in a variety of ways. That might be shit for a host of different reasons, but that is completely beside the point; the point being that your examples are nonsense and your point is shit. Even if it wouldn't be that way and your examples weren't retarded, a family photo is materially different from something uploaded whose purpose is only to be used by others non-commercially in any variety of ways, which are inherently bound to a chain of copyrights and trademarks already to boot.

And ignoring the legal perspective either way, from both a moral and a utilitarian perspective, this is nothing but good. It benefits the end-users, ensures the common ground on which mods are made and re-made, shits on baby retards, and maintains a common recorded history which remains accessible longer than it might otherwise have been.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, even if you agreed to whatever magical collectivist justifications they put in their T&S. And in the case of signing over distribution rights, I'd wager it is in violation of the IP laws of whichever country's laws NM is bound by.
A contract in violation of law is not valid, but thankfully, you are fully within your rights to sign away copyright and distribution rights for publishing just fine. You're being extra-retarded if you're going to claim otherwise.
The copyright to a work is always with the creator of that work until they sign it away via licensing or sale or whatever. This is the same for photos or mods. What you're doing is making retarded arguments to support a retarded site changing their T&S so that they can take away some of those rights. If you want creators to be deprived of those rights when any corporation can easily take down their stuff with DMCA, then you're arguing for wanting to be cucked. Have a nice day cuck.
Starting to think this guy might be a "modder".

Codex Year of the Donut

Skyrim SE
D. License to ZeniMax. Whether or not You provide a copy of one or more of Your Game Mods to ZeniMax for download from the ZeniMax Platform and in exchange for ZeniMax making the Editor available to You free of charge, You hereby grant to ZeniMax an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid, worldwide, non-exclusive right and license, with the right to sublicense through multiple tiers of distribution, to use, reproduce, modify and create derivative works from (including without limitation (a) modifications necessary to make Your Game Mods compatible with the Services (as defined in the Terms of Service); (b) modifications as ZeniMax deems necessary or desirable to enhance gameplay; and (c) where ZeniMax in its sole discretion deems modification necessary for security, statutory or other regulatory consideration), distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, publicly display and publicly perform and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of such Your Game Mods (or an part or element of a Game Mods), including without limitation in connection with the operation and promotion of the Services. For clarity, the foregoing license includes, but is not limited to, ZeniMax including Your Game Mods (or elements or portions of a Game Mods) and modifications and derivative works of Your Game Mods in other Games and Services. This license is granted to ZeniMax for the entire duration of the intellectual property rights in or protecting the Game Mods. To the fullest extent permitted by law You also waive and agree never to assert against ZeniMax or its distributors or licensors any moral rights or similar rights, however designated, that You may have in or to any of Game Mods. Subject to Your ownership of the original of Your Game Mods, ZeniMax will be the sole owner of the modifications and derivative works created by ZeniMax of Your Game Mods. For clarity, You agree that You are not entitled to any rights or compensation in connection with the rights granted to ZeniMax in this Agreement, including without limitation the use of Your Game Mods by others.

Fallout 4:
(a) All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software;

modders already signed their rights away when they clicked through the EULA they didn't read

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I worry about collections ending up in another MGSO fiasco, i.e. a "compilation" that seems great on the surface but is fucked up beyond belief underneath. Particularly because nothing stops users from saying a certain mod in the compilation is broken and then annoying the original author, when in reality it is the compilation itself that is broken.

I like the part about certain modders being pissed they can't delete their mods, though.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I worry about collections ending up in another MGSO fiasco, i.e. a "compilation" that seems great on the surface but is fucked up beyond belief underneath. Particularly because nothing stops users from saying a certain mod in the compilation is broken and then annoying the original author, when in reality it is the compilation itself that is broken.

I'm wondering if Collections will be version locked actually..

The way they describe their archiving / mod fetching api, you require both the mod id as well as file id.. This makes me think Collections will reference a specific version of that mod.

Meaning if the Collection is fucked - it's actually on the collection creator because they are releasing an immutable grouping of mods that have been pre-patched by them. You can't blame the mod author anymore even if they released 3 updates after the fact.

If my assumption is correct - this is also why a Mod Author can't just update their mod with an empty text file as a way to circumvent deletion.. every version of their mod will be archived.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If my assumption is correct - this is also why a Mod Author can't just update their mod with an empty text file as a way to circumvent deletion.. every version of their mod will be archived.

This is pretty cool. A mod isn't necessarily updated because the new version works better, but because the author's taste has changed. And sometimes I don't agree with the changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom