Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's that time again, another Modding Drama Shit storm.

TL;DR
Nexus has released an announcement that Mod makers can no longer delete their mods after a 1 month grace period starting now. Queue up the collective screaming and whining from pre-madonna "artists" as they exclaim they will now be pulling down their shitty blendshapes and re-texture mods down. Oh Noes!

Nexus claims this is for their new ~collection~ feature. However we all know the truth. No more cringey ass "If Trump Wins you can't play my Civil War Mod every again!" bullshit. If any especially juicy posts come out of this I'll self-bump this thread.

:hype:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

This is why with this news post and with an accompanying email being sent out to all mod authors on our site (which should go out in the next few days), we’re letting you know that over the next 30 days you can now request all of your files currently hosted on Nexus Mods to be deleted by sending an email to support@nexusmods.com. Once you have formalised the request, we will delete all of your files the same way we would have before implementing the file archiving change - no questions asked. The deleted files will no longer be served by us in any way, shape, or form, including via the API/collections.

Here’s an overview of the deletion requesting process:

• Until 5 August 2021 (10:00 AM BST), you may request all of your files to be deleted permanently from our services. Requests received until that date will be processed even after the deadline has expired.
  • In order to streamline the process you may only request to have all of your files deleted (all or nothing).
  • We will only be processing deletion requests based on this template sent to support@nexusmods.com.
  • We can only honour deletion requests sent from the email attached to your account.
  • To fully process the deletion: after receiving your email, we will send you a personal message on our site/forums to confirm the deletion and you will need to respond to it before the deadline expires.
  • The announced changes to file deletions i.e. the introduction of file archiving remain active.
  • Should you not request a full deletion of your files until the designated deadline, you accept that going forward your files will only be deleted at the discretion of staff.
  • You accept that new files uploaded to our services after the designated deadline will only be deleted at the discretion of staff.
  • The option to archive your files at any time is not affected by this.
  • The status of your Nexus Mods account will not be affected either way i.e. your account is not going to be deleted or suspended whether you request a deletion of your files or not, unless you specifically request it.

We understand that some of you will not like this, but I sincerely hope we’ve managed to explain why we’re convinced that this is the way to move forward from here on. It might not be what we all wanted, but we think this way is fair, as you get to make your choice.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Many large modders who actually make shit you've likely played are basically saying they don't give a shit.
With a few exceptions most of the Reeing is coming from the mentally unhinged that make shit you've never heard of.

There is like a civil war going on where a few small vocal autists are trying to convince others to jump ship. I can't stop reading this.

LeelooNoName said:
Due to the latest decision of nexus, taking away my right to delete my own mods, I am forced to delete them all this month! Because that's how long I have my right of permanent delete. I don't have anything against collections. But I can't live with such a violation of my basic rights.
As well, under this circumstances, my intensive, hard work of 10 months on my NPC Overhaul was for nothing. Because like that, I can't publish it. I am actually light headed and in shock.

> Even though to date I've never published any mod you gave a fuck about or heard of - I had a HUGE NPC OVERHAUL MOD RELEASING TODAY!! BUT Because of Nexus you will never get to see it!!

FakeModder said:
I'm pretty tired of hearing a large portion of people here commenting as mod authors, who make bodyslide presets, reshades, and tiny patches for other people's mods exlusively soapboxing about their ideology of "but I mod to share with everyone, why u want be rich and famous" as if this is a valid perspective.

> Total Shared Files on Nexus: 0

Robinhood70 said:
I have removed all of my mods from Nexus due to their ill-advised attempt to co-own all mods that they host. This is not only unacceptable, it's reprehensible. If their system wasn't designed to deal with mod removal or to request permission for permanent use beforehand, that's their shortcoming. It does not give them rights to my mod. Their long-winded excuse post does not in any way justify their actions in this matter.

My Mods - My Body!!
(I think they made a few potion mods for Oblivion??)

Creator of Fallout New Vegas California said:
And now that they know we can't opt out... we have no last line of defense.

So while this is something I'd love to opt out of and just delete my work off the site, it would require I go ask my contributing partners as well, whose opinions may differ, and unlike Nexus, I don't feel I have the right to decide that for them, or post it as a limited time ultimatum.

I also feel my users don't deserve that either.

But for me? I just won't support collections or respond to requests for tech help on this site anymore. I'll use ModDB or the Workshop.

He can't delete the mod because it was created by a team of modders - not him, so instead he's going to.. refuse to help people with it. Unless they ask on another website. Oof.

---

I am patiently awaiting Arthmoor's response.. Nexus actually pays out money to modders now based on Download counts and that's really all Arthmoor cares about so I'm wondering if he's going.. to.. actually.. put all his mods on ModDB in protest..? :lol:

Last edited:
They're taking power away from the users, you're going to have to try harder to convince me this is a good thing.

This is actually empowering Users since mod makers can't just yeet their shit off the site breaking other mods with dependencies.

Are they taking power away from mod makers? Yes. It's good for me. It's also very funny.

Well the mod makers are users too. I don't have any sympathy for half of them but "once you put your shit on our site, it's ours" seems like a bad deal and is anti-consumer. Why should I buy a game and contribute to its modding community if the premier website for sharing such a thing is going to cuck me over controlling my own work's availability?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They're taking power away from the users, you're going to have to try harder to convince me this is a good thing.

This is actually empowering Users since mod makers can't just yeet their shit off the site breaking other mods with dependencies.

Are they taking power away from mod makers? Yes. It's good for me. It's also very funny.

Well the mod makers are users too. I don't have any sympathy for half of them but "once you put your shit on our site, it's ours" seems like a bad deal and is anti-consumer. Why should I buy a game and contribute to its modding community if the premier website for sharing such a thing is going to cuck me over controlling my own work's availability?

Have you ever read the ToS of almost any game out there that allows you to Mod them in the first place?
Exactly what rights do you think you ever had for that "Epic Player Home" or "Super Cool Container Sorting Script" ?

Why should I buy a game and contribute to its modding community

Have you? :lol:

deuxhero

Arcane
There's a few legitimate reasons to be able to delete mods, though editing the description to have big letters saying "OBSOLETE/BROKEN DO NOT USE!" solves most.

A horse of course

Modders are scum and Nexus are based for fucking those entitled drama queen whores in the ass. OTOH this is quite clearly a cash grab to make people pay for the lists service. I can understand modders being annoyed that parasitic modlist makers will be making money off them.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There's a few legitimate reasons to be able to delete mods, though editing the description to have big letters saying "OBSOLETE/BROKEN DO NOT USE!" solves most.

They will still delete mods if they are in a broken state completely or are copyright infringing or stolen from someone else.
All deletions will be overseen by Nexus though.

Mod Makers can still hide their mods but they can't delete them so that if other mods in a "Collection" require them as a dependency it doesn't break the whole thing.

Modders are scum and Nexus are based for fucking those entitled drama queen whores in the ass. OTOH this is quite clearly a cash grab to make people pay for the lists service. I can understand modders being annoyed that parasitic modlist makers will be making money off them.

List creators initially can't request donations (although later they may be able to) and the "Download Count" fund will still go to the mod creator not the list maker. So actually popular lists will just mean more downloads and more money to mod makers.

Can't happen. At least the only dependencies I ever see are "plays nice with [redacted] mod" (nothing breaks, next update they just ignore it) and "absolutely requires [redacted] mod to work" (in which case you already have both installed anyway, you just won't get updates).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Can't happen. At least the only dependencies I ever see are "plays nice with [redacted] mod" (nothing breaks, next update they just ignore it) and "absolutely requires [redacted] mod to work" (in which case you already have both installed anyway, you just won't get updates).

Read what Collections are.. you aren't thinking this through fully.
This doesn't just include Papyrus references although that's one use case where you are wrong albeit more rare.

Think about a static Mod list that's been patched together where you've modified rows and overwrites. If you take one mod in the middle that was supplying resources / assets / face morphs / whatever the fuck and rip it out, you break the whole thing.

EDIT:
I'm just assuming we are talking about Skyrim right now, this gets more messy with other games.

Have you ever read the ToS of almost any game out there that allows you to Mod them in the first place?
Exactly what rights do you think you ever had for that "Epic Player Home" or "Super Cool Container Sorting Script" ?

Why should I buy a game and contribute to its modding community

Have you? :lol:

Sure we live in a dystopian hell where nobody owns or has any rights to anything but imagine if you uploaded a YouTube video and they didn't allow you to delete it. This is garbage. And no I don't plan on uploading any mods to Nexus but the point still stands.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sure we live in a dystopian hell where nobody owns or has any rights to anything but imagine if you uploaded a YouTube video and they didn't allow you to delete it. This is garbage. And no I don't plan on uploading any mods to Nexus but the point still stands.

A Youtube Video is your Intellectual Property. (AFAIK)
But you don't own a Skyrim House Mod - Bethesda Owns it.
You don't get to use their engine and assets to stuff barrels in a room then say "That's mine I made it". You waived that right when you opened the creation engine.

Sure we live in a dystopian hell where nobody owns or has any rights to anything.

Many if not all mods are funded by Donations / Patreon / A fund sharing pool created by Nexus. (To date Nexus has put ~750 000 dollars into that Pool, just to pay modders even when they haven't touched their mod in months or years - It's driven by downloads AFAIK)

Do you think it's fair if a bunch of users donate money to your mod, or pay for this Fund through premium subscriptions, only for a mod author to yeet their Mod one Tuesday afternoon cause Trump won the election?

If so - how is that "Beneficial to the User Base" ?

:hmmm:

Think about a static Mod list that's been patched together where you've modified rows and overwrites. If you take one mod in the middle that was supplying resources / assets / face morphs / whatever the fuck and rip it out, you break the whole thing.

Yeah but it just breaks the list you made for others to copy, it's not breaking mods. The only effect is that if someone likes your list which contains a removed mod, the program would fail to fetch the download link (I'm assuming vortex would be smart enough to check if all links in the list are valid before downloading anything) and they would have to look for another list.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Yeah but it just breaks the list you made for others to copy, it's not breaking mods. The only effect is that if someone likes your list which contains a removed mod, the program would fail to fetch the download link (I'm assuming vortex would be smart enough to check if all links in the list are valid before downloading anything) and they would have to look for another list.

No it is breaking Mods.. You are missing the whole "Merge Conflict" portion of the Collection. They contain meta data about what patches you've done to get everything hooked together which depending on the mod means merging lists or overrides in a certain way. Where even if you didn't use that single mod's features, having it missing would create dead entries.

I mean it really depends on the type of mod we are talking about here - so I'm kinda bullshitting generalities.. have you ever patched two mods together that touched the same resource / list? You'd know what I'm talking about - this isn't just a load order thing.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The real issue is that these lists are pure fucking decline. Instead of modding requiring an IQ above room temperature and 3rd grade reading comprehension, now it's "push a button and watch the computer install everything for you". Good luck troubleshooting, creating compatibility patches, or updating individual mods when you never even had to learn the basics. And god help the mod makers who have to deal with entitled faggots complaining if the list tool fucks something up.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The real issue is that these lists are pure fucking decline. Instead of modding requiring an IQ above room temperature and 3rd grade reading comprehension, now it's "push a button and watch the computer install everything for you". Good luck troubleshooting, creating compatibility patches, or updating individual mods when you never even had to learn the basics. And god help the mod makers who have to deal with entitled faggots complaining if the list tool fucks something up.

Wouldn't you rather Automate this process then do it manually?
Do you enjoy opening up 40 mod pages and scanning over everything trying to get shit working?

Even a power user who knows exactly what they are doing and read the manual.. I'd rather hit a button and go make a coffee or shit post on the codex.

It's pure fucking tedium.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Wouldn't you rather Automate this process then do it manually?
Do you enjoy opening up 40 mod pages and scanning over everything trying to get shit working?

Even a power user who knows exactly what they are doing and read the manual.. I'd rather hit a button and go make a coffee or shit post on the codex.

It's pure fucking tedium.
I'm just gatekeeping. There are already too many entitled retards who don't appreciate the time and effort required to make quality mods. That number is going to skyrocket when there isn't even any knowledge required to install them.

Do you think it's fair if a bunch of users donate money to your mod, or pay for this Fund through premium subscriptions, only for a mod author to yeet their Mod one Tuesday afternoon cause Trump won the election?

No, I think they should be held accountable by whatever they used to be funded like Patreon. I think your distaste for modders in general is clouding your judgement. In what world is it cool and good for any website you sign up for to stop you from deleting your contributions (hello codex lmao)? Why not skip the formalities and just walk straight into Robin Scott's house to let him fuck you up the ass?

Curratum

Pay 50 freaking quid to be able to one-click install my Skyrim/FO4 mod collection once every few years, or spend 15 minutes clicking the mods by hand...

Hmmm, decisions, decisions... :lol:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
No, I think they should be held accountable by whatever they used to be funded like Patreon. I think your distaste for modders in general is clouding your judgement. In what world is it cool and good for any website you sign up for to stop you from deleting your contributions (hello codex lmao)? Why not skip the formalities and just walk straight into Robin Scott's house to let him fuck you up the ass?

"Exposed Brain Matter" is right.

My disdain aren't for Modders or people who dedicate their time to improve a community. It's for prima donna modders who hold their mods ransom to feed their own mentally unstable narcissism.

I already said why Youtube Videos and Skyrim Mods are different.

Then you tried to use Stallman as some weird counter example.. but If we parallel this to the Open Source community.. the minute I fork your Repo under GNU - you also can't "Delete it". Like what are you even talking about anymore? Make a new burner account man, this is cringe.

Last edited:

"Exposed Brain Matter" is right.

My disdain aren't for Modders or people who dedicate their time to improve a community. It's for pre-madonna's who hold their mods ransom to feed their own mentally unstable narcissism.

I already said why Youtube Videos and Skyrim Mods are different.

Then you tried to use Stallman as some weird counter example.. but If we parallel this to the Open Source community.. the minute I fork your Repo under GNU - you also can't "Delete it". Like what are you even talking about anymore? Make a new burner account man, this is cringe.

The Stallman post was an obvious joke and I'm not a freetard. YouTube's ToS and game EULAs are also irrelevant, my point was simply that somebody should be allowed by a website to delete content they contributed with their own account. Of course forks can make this pointless but the principle here is that the site shouldn't be the one cucking people from the top.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Of course forks can make this pointless but the principle here is that the site shouldn't be the one cucking people from the top.

Nexus is a free mod hosting service that pays for a multi-region highly available cloud network pushing millions of gigs of bandwidth daily..?
All without charging a cent. They offer a paid share plan for modders and a huge user base.

The only people getting cucked here, honestly, are bad faith modders with narcissism problems. This is a huge net positive for modders who aren't mentally unstable and the millions of users who actually pay for this shit through premium subscriptions.

TL;DR - Don't like it - post your mod somewhere else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom