Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas mods

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Are you installed Mod Organizer Grunker ?

You don't have to uninstall everything, if you have that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Like I said, everything is uninstalled already :)

I'm not using Mod Organizer. Using NMM. Not sure it's wise to switch methods. I'm having enough trouble making sure I do everything properly as it is.

Stargazer_

Like I said, everything is uninstalled already :)

I'm not using Mod Organizer. Using NMM. Not sure it's wise to switch methods. I'm having enough trouble making sure I do everything properly as it is.
Use Mod Organizer, if you did you wouldn't need to reinstall when botching your game due to mods due to its Virtual file System.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44027/?
This guy knows how to balance a game. For all you SPECIAL overhaul users you should check it out.

-fully compatible with jsawyer(with compat fix) and Project neveda
-Perks better and more balance than more perks
-Great traits
-Choice and consequences

Get It!
You can make nearly all of these changes with Project Nevada's rebalance module outside of the perks, which you can get a lot of very similar things from the More Perks/Traits mods.

Stargazer_

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44027/?
This guy knows how to balance a game. For all you SPECIAL overhaul users you should check it out.

-fully compatible with jsawyer(with compat fix) and Project neveda
-Perks better and more balance than more perks
-Great traits
-Choice and consequences

Get It!
You can make nearly all of these changes with Project Nevada's rebalance module outside of the perks, which you can get a lot of very similar things from the More Perks/Traits mods.
More Perks have silly imba perks like

- Steel Behind Suits (level 28) (rank 1) (Craft) (ID: D2EE70) (Req: +80 Repair and +80 Science)
Your outstanding repair skill and science skill have adapted the technique of converting any pre-war suits or gambler suits to power armor.

or

- Superior Mind (level 26) (Rank 1) (Dialogue) (ID: D2EE74) (Req: +9 Intelligence)
You may attempt to blow up your target's head via dialogue. If your target has a superior mind, your head will become crippled instead.

though I admit More Perks has funner perks like

- One with Martyrs (Level 18) (Rank 1) (Passive) (Req: Completed Honest Hearts DLC) (ID: D2EEA9)
-> Some tribals believe that you are a prophet and their lives are at your disposal. When your health is below 50%, a tribal rigged with explosives may show up and sucide bomb your enemies.

which is a blast to use and tons fun, but the perks that CCO are more coherent and balanced.

PN thing I agree with it was almost enough to make me uninstall Jsawyer and other re-balance stuff, but its not like everyone wants to mess around with PN settings at the start of every new game.

The good thing about the silly perks in that mod though is that you can simply not use them, since they're not stepping stones to anything important and the mod isn't integrated into much of the game in a way where you'd notice a drop in character strength if you didn't take them. It's not an all-encompassing thing like AWOP which alters your framerate every part of the world even though all it adds are FO3 style loot caves that serve no purpose.

I was setting up NV again for a future replay, and thought I would put this here, in case anyone wants to use it. Basically, to improve NV combat, the key thing is to remove hitpoint bloat, which turns it into an actually enjoyable FPS combat system. There are mods out there that do this, like Project Nevada and JSawyer's mod, but people might not want to use them because they add a LOT of stuff, and you might not want to change so much, or might be playing it on an old computer. So here's a quick way to remove hitpoint bloat in pretty much the same way that Project Nevada does it, but in a simple tiny mod you can make yourself in about 10 seconds:

Install NV, download GECK (NV version) from Bethesda, load NV.esm file in GECK, and under Settings, change 4 variables:

fAVDHealthEnduranceMult: health multiplier for your endurance, change from default 20 to 10 (or less if you want)
fAVDHealthLevelMult: health multiplier for your levels, change from default 5 to 0, to stop gaining health at level ups
fAVDNPCHealthEnduranceMult: same thing as above but for NPCs, raise from 5 to 10 to make same as yours
fAVDNPCHealthLevelMult: same thing as above but for NPCs, change from 5 to 0, to stop NPCs from gaining health from extra levels

Save as HitPointBloatFix.esp or your preferred name and activate in data list, and voila, you've just turned NV into a game with exciting FPS combat. Add No Neos mod from Nexus to get rid of NPCs dodging bullets, activate hardcore mode to stop stimpak abuse, and don't use VATs, and you are good to go.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Install NV, download GECK (NV version) from Bethesda, load NV.esm file in GECK, and under Settings, change 4 variables:.

An alternative way to achieve the same results (and my favorite way) is to load up the .esms in FNVEdit, look for the Game Settings section, copy those records into a new .esp, and then make the necessary edits. FNVEdit is a godsend for pretty much any kind of basic editing, all the way from making slight edits, to solving mod conflicts with its "apply filter to show conflict losers"... filter.

Also, I can recommend Cirosans Classic Overhaul for a classic RPG experience. For a hardcore survival experience, I recommend Vicious Wastes. It has one big issue, though: it makes SPECIAL pretty much pointless, as even with a Relaxed carry weight, you will only get 150 carry weight tops with 10 Strength, and each point in S only accounts for 10lbs. Sadly, we don't have much of a say in that setting, as it goes only down from there (50 base and +5 per S on Strict, to even lower).

laclongquan

Arcane
A simpler way to have hard-hitting FPS game is to use Slower Leveling type of mods. Use a 2x setting for normal gamers, and 3x for hardcore longtime fans. With that, you would use weapons normally you dont, like the cheapest type of grenades...

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Time to replay new vegas with all dlcs and 25gb worth of texture mods

rsvK7iI.jpg

uT02rSY.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Time to replay new vegas with all dlcs and 25gb worth of texture mods

>25gb worth of texture mods
>not using a body replacer

:x

Anyhow, I've reinstalled (torrented) the game myself too, and I'm looking forward to using Cirosans Overhaul now. Vicious Wastes was nice, but I felt the mod was too in my way of enjoying the game and roleplaying.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
25GB worth of textures and still looks like ass. :lol:

Copy off of something like the setup on this clip if you can't be bothered to figure out the ENB and lighting mods yourself.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
ENB is what makes the real difference in how the game looks.

Here, download this mod I compiled today.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fp5w093qpeman2a/Clutter+Compilation.zip

It has every major clutter mod merged into with textures being carefully selected based on lore (so no Energizer batteries, Wattz only) and quality (and I do mean quality, none of that 4K blurry texture crap). It's meant to be used alongside NMC's Texture Pack and Poco Bueno/Ojo Bueno.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Man FCO still has those fucked up gaunt faces and doll eyes?

ENB is what makes the real difference in how the game looks.

Here, download this mod I compiled today.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fp5w093qpeman2a/Clutter+Compilation.zip

It has every major clutter mod merged into with textures being carefully selected based on lore (so no Energizer batteries, Wattz only) and quality (and I do mean quality, none of that 4K blurry texture crap). It's meant to be used alongside NMC's Texture Pack and Poco Bueno/Ojo Bueno.
Post some screens men.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What is the deal with fellout? It just removes the piss filter? Doesn't Realistic Wasteland Lighting do that with even better effect?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom