Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New to the Codex

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Maybe it's because, even if it is unfinished, KotOR2 is a great game and a vast improvement over KotOR1 in every way?

Random

Arcane
Patron
Oh, do shut up. How the hell can an unfinished game be better than a finished game? Don't even get me started on the utter stupidity of Atton and Handmaiden, not to mention Mira and Visas. Now, Carth and Bastila and Mission, that's some good stuff.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Random? Maybe you should go and, like, entertain somewhere else? There's no way I can take you seriously when you post stuff like that.

-10/10.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
God damn this KotOR vs KotOR 2 discussion. Doesn't the Codex have standards? They both are shitty new-age RPGs.

There are entire RPGs that offer more content, difficulty, options, open worlds, interesting quests, and polish than BOTH those games ever could.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wyrmlord said:
There are entire RPGs that offer more content, difficulty, options, open worlds, interesting quests, and polish than BOTH those games ever could.
But most RPGs don't offer the dialogue, writing and story of KotOR2.

Also, what's that "entire" there for?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Teh dialog of Kotor 2:

"There's a wound in the force! I felt it echoing from afar."

ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND! ECHO, WOUND!

ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO! ECHO!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Trying to earn the prestigious dumbfuck title? You are on the right track, son.

Mareus

Magister
Kotor 1 -> good game which doesn't have much ups and downs in quality from beginning to the end.

Kotor 2 -> amazing game in the first 3/4, but in the last 1/4 turns to such shit I never played it again, while I finished Kotor 1 3 times so far.

I would rather the game was ok and consistent then have it great and suddenly turn to shit.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Kotor 1 -> good game which doesn't have much ups and downs in quality from beginning to the end.

Kotor 2 -> amazing game in the first 3/4, but in the last 1/4 turns to such shit I never played it again, while I finished Kotor 1 3 times so far.

I would rather the game was ok and consistent then have it great and suddenly turn to shit.
Yeah, I just don't get that at all. If the last parts are the only thing that... yeah, I dunno. Because seriously:

KOTOR1 endgame: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!
KOTOR2 endgame: Yeah, we had plans to make this totally awesome like Planescape in space but we ran out of time and lipstick or something so we had to go with FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! instead.

And a bunch of morons went nuts over this and booed Obsidian, then went back to make more colorful lightsaber mods. I guess they really, really liked that retarded victory ceremony. I dunno. I try not to think about it so much. It hurts.

Alright, I'm going back to listening to The Police now. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, motherfuckers.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I just don't get games which spell everything out for the player like the KotOR games do. They treat the player like a toddler who needs handholding.

Is there a quest in these games where you have to figure out on your own what you are supposed to do? Not really. The Find Info On Batu Rem quest told you the exact person to ask for info, where you could find that person, and what you have to ask that person. And then you report back and get a nice 500 XP. Or the swoop racing quest where you are directly told by the Vulkars to just go and kill the Bek leader and get the component from him.

If everything is so straightforward, where is the sense of achievement? There is no challenge. You are just told to do stuff and you do it.

And the actual combat is ridiculous. You could gimp your character REALLY badly, and still win these games. In the second game, I placed all my physical stats at 8, and I still had too much of an easy time. You don't even have to try to win these game.

And all these banalities last for under a short 20 hours. Waste of money.

I thought videogames were about putting a challenge forth to the player and having him solve it to receive the reward. Even if it's an easy challenge, there atleast is some challenge. The KotOR games - they don't have challenge. It's like an instructional video for small children. You are given instructions and you follow them. And then you get a pat on your back for it.

Mareus

Magister
Andyman Messiah said:

Yeah, I just don't get that at all. If the last parts are the only thing that... yeah, I dunno. Because seriously:

KOTOR1 endgame: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!
KOTOR2 endgame: Yeah, we had plans to make this totally awesome like Planescape in space but we ran out of time and lipstick or something so we had to go with FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! instead.

And a bunch of morons went nuts over this and booed Obsidian, then went back to make more colorful lightsaber mods. I guess they really, really liked that retarded victory ceremony. I dunno. I try not to think about it so much. It hurts.

Alright, I'm going back to listening to The Police now. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, motherfuckers.
There is one difference you see.
In Kotor1 the FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT how you call it starts at the very end when the game has almost been finished. When you have maybe 60 minutes of game play left and when the whole story has already been nicely wrapped up.

In Kotor2 it all starts to turn to shit way too soon and too suddenly like they were finishing the game in turbo mode. The last 4-5 hours are horrible, not only because of FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT, but because the story turns to shit too. I mean everything ends so suddenly. The all powerful sith lord who has the power to drain the life out of planets gets whipped way too easily and not very convincingly. Jedi masters suddenly decide to betray and kill you? WTF IS THAT SHIT?! They are FUCKING JEDI?! THEY FUCKING CAN'T DO THAT! Then Kreia comes and wipes them out in 2 seconds! WTF?! They are fucking JEDI MASTERS, they can't be wiped in 3 seconds by some old one armed hag (and don't remind me it happens in Star Wars 3 also)!! Then it's MORE FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and FIGHT for the end. And horrible ending.

PS. I agree with Wyrmlord how the games are hand holding you and stuff, but I can look past it if the game offers something else. Oblivion didn't suck just because of hand holding, but many more things. I can't say a game is shit just because of two, three things I didn't like.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Hey, Reggatta de Blanc, mofos! You people have no sense for the drama. That is all. Don't stand so close to me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yeah, I reckon the KotOR games had style, which is what must have made me finish them. I mean, the cinematic where Calo Nord comes in and wipes out three people in a cantina, that stuff is a little cool, I suppose. But they are still so lacking.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Mareus said:
There is one difference you see.
In Kotor1 the FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT how you call it starts at the very end when the game has almost been finished. When you have maybe 60 minutes of game play left and when the whole story has already been nicely wrapped up.

Bullshit! Last 60 minutes my ass! What do you call that rakatan world? 90% of it was FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. You fight a whole fucking tribe of rakata, some rancors, stealthy mandalorians and a slew of sith in the temple.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Hey fastpunk, remember when I got drunk and called you an italian who got drunk on pudding? I think it's that time again, man.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
Hey fastpunk, remember when I got drunk and called you an italian who got drunk on pudding? I think it's that time again, man.

Touche. :lol:

P.S.: It was cream liquor for fuck's sake! Had tiramisu taste.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yeah, yeah, yeah fucking tiramisu pudding cream. Whatev, man. Hey, I'm thinking of taking over that stormfront lp now that I'm feeling funny. I mixed some red bull with some vodka. It tasted awesome. Made me totally feel like a nazi so I think it'll improve my chances. I'm thinking about making the first post about how I like tractor pulls and hate niggers. I think they'll accept me.

Oh and anyone who thinks KOTOR1 is better than KOTOR2 is a fucking moron. Both games are not, like, very good games. I mean, I like KOTOR2 but I've played better rpgs, I mean. It has great writing though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom