Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Purgatorio Trailer

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Performance
Our target frame rate on a mid-range system is 30 FPS. Frame rates should be comparable to MotB. We throttle back shadows a lot in some areas to achieve this.

Dialog Skills
As far as I know there are no phony skill checks, and there are a lot of skill checks in the game. Sometimes a skill check might get you to the same eventual place as some other set of dialog choices and actions, but its not really illusory.

Think along these lines:

1) A skill check can get you past a guard.
2) Putting on a certain suit of armor and selecting a different option in the same node can get you past the guard.
3) Having access to the "right" Sigil Faction response option on the node can also get you past the guard (this would depend on which Sigil Faction you joined if any)
4) A different skill check can get you past the guard.

In this case several options in the same node can get you to the same end state, but there are real differences in selecting the various options in terms of alignment, your reputation with people and factions, the experience you get, etc. Additionally not all of the options are even present for everyone. If you never found the "right" armor or didn't join the "right" faction, you'd have fewer options in this particular hypothetical node.

Story/Crit Path

We're trying to stay quiet on this stuff since its the sort of thing where spoilers really ruin it. (Imagine watching Chinatown or Godfather II and knowing about the twists).

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I think I'm probably the least objective person in the world regarding the story.

But yes, its the greatest story ever told.

Texas Red

Whiner
MLMarkland said:
I think I'm probably the least objective person in the world regarding the story.

But yes, its the greatest story ever told.

:molyneux:

Will Purgatorio have a definite ending or just a "to be continued" sign at the end? It would be good if you could consider it as a single campaign because frankly, Im not very sure the others will be finished.

If I would be in your shoes, I would rather include only several factions instead of all of them.

Jora

Arcane
Whatabout snapping Dustmen's necks? Catching the hand of a pickpocket? Stuff like that.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Purgatorio has a definite ending, but the story in Purgatorio continues in a satisfying manner in Inferno, so it works either way.

As for the Sigil Factions, doing all of them is certainly a challenge, but nailing the Sigil section is the number one priority and that means doing all of the factions.

You can attack anybody and everybody in the game so snapping necks is always a discretionary move. Same with pickpocketing (there is a 50-50 chance of pickpocketing being significantly different).

I love all the voice acting and dialog, including the Society of Sensation sisters (interestingly disjointed and otherworldly vibes). High marks for clear enunciation and colourful inflection.

[from trailer] Each of you has been chosen for this task. We are on a righteous mission. Our enemies: profligate whores, drug pushers and smut peddlars... Unclean, indecent, degenerates. The law will save the hive. The law is the only way.
Does this mean I'll get to indulge my intrinsic sadism whilst maintaining a thin veneer of righteousness? w00t.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Being a sadistic fuck while riding the high horse of morality is what that faction is all about. B-)

Planescape rocks

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I think folks will be very satisfied with the opportunities to embrace the darker and lighter sides of each given Sigil Faction.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MLMarkland said:
I think folks will be very satisfied with the opportunities to embrace the darker and lighter sides of each given Sigil Faction.
How about an example? :) Could you post some Chaosmen-specific dialogue options? Without severe spoilers, preferably, but enough to give us the feel of Rogue Dao's writing.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Hey, haven't forgot quite yet ;)

I just haven't managed to get my home computer setup and online since the move out here. But this weekend should be good to take care of things and get back online.

Starwars

Arcane
Great!

Btw, any ETA on when the planescapetrilogy website will be up again, haha?

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
lol

Yeah, RDS had 1000 gigs of bandwidth a month and never really expected to need more than that. The site ran out in the first 10 days of December due to the new trailer.

RDS actually has a new hosting solution setup now with a bigger pipe, but it'll be a little while longer before all of the content gets moved over (its a fairly low priority thing right now and RDS does not have a dedicated webmaster/webdude -- so if someone has a lot of experience on web-stuff and is interested in the gig, send an email to devteam@roguedao.com).

Got my home comp setup this weekend, so shouldn't be too much longer before I can post some preview stuff here.

quasimodo

Augur
Do you think it would be possible to mod in a programmable pause function like the IE games so I could have just a little more control? For all its other charms combat in this game is pretty lame.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Theoretically, yes. How difficult it would be and whether all of the necessary and/or desired GUI functions are exposed for scripting is another question, and one that could only be answered after significant research and testing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom