Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Purgatorio Trailer

Seboss

Liturgist
I'll gladly pay $30 for this. I can't believe this is going to be free.
I sure hope they'll manage to release the three episodes.

Deleted member 7219

I enjoyed MotB, didn't like the Infinity Engine games (with the exception of Torment), so hopefully this will suit my tastes.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

loved the trailer, can only repeat what the others already said. beautiful art direction. voice overs were mixed. didnt like the sisters but the "this is a bleedin robbery" bit was pretty good (it was also in your first trailer, no ? back in that one the "dancing corpse circus" bit was also really good). also really loved the custom new armor designs.

sorry if i missed it, but how has the planned release date changed ? my last info a few months ago been that its in closed beta and should be out around end of december, start of january..... is that still up to date ?

oh and while we are at it, any hint of when we can expect some more infos about the aliens game by OE ? i know you cant tell much about the game, but just wanna know if we will be getting some first info s SOON or if its rather a longer time till the first details will be revealed to the public.

Lumpy

Arcane
Monty said:
If we cut everything not necessary to the game that we are planning on doing, it would take us about 4 weeks to produce a release candidate. So, we're close to having something we could release that we would be very proud of and that would be very fun.

However, we'd like to aim a little higher than that and truly live up to the legacy of Planescape Torment, so we'll have more information for everybody when we are ready Wink

Remember that we originally planned a 10 hour module with no additional art or audio content and around 75,000 words of dialog.

Today Purgatorio's current scope includes 2 gigabytes of art and audio content and is 20-30 hours long with 400,000 words of dialog. A project of this scope would take a fully operational development studio around 18-24 months to complete. We've been at it for 15 months, so I'd say we've made extraordinarily fast progress and I anticipate that we will continue to make fast progress.

We would like to find some more scripters/designers though, so if anyone is interested in applying to the team Wink

The primary reason for slow news about progress the past month is that I've been in the process of applying for and accepting a job with Obsidian Entertainment, and then moving out to Orange County. I am settled in now, so things will return to their pre-absence levels of activity on these forums and the intrawebz.

Monty
So I'd assume at least 2 more months.

Ausir

Arcane
micmu said:
Mask of The Betrayer, Mysteries of Westgate... and Purgatorio also looks to be shaping up nicely.
NWN2 is the best shitty game I ever bought.

And JE Sawyer's The Black Hound!

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Seboss said:

The Rogue Dao team is very committed to finishing all three episodes, but it is going to take a long time. The third episode takes place throughout all of Sigil and that's a 2-3 year process to create that.

ricolikesrice said:
loved the trailer, can only repeat what the others already said. beautiful art direction. voice overs were mixed. didnt like the sisters but the "this is a bleedin robbery" bit was pretty good (it was also in your first trailer, no ? back in that one the "dancing corpse circus" bit was also really good). also really loved the custom new armor designs.

sorry if i missed it, but how has the planned release date changed ? my last info a few months ago been that its in closed beta and should be out around end of december, start of january..... is that still up to date ?

oh and while we are at it, any hint of when we can expect some more infos about the aliens game by OE ? i know you cant tell much about the game, but just wanna know if we will be getting some first info s SOON or if its rather a longer time till the first details will be revealed to the public.

The bank robbery scene, at least part of it, was in the previous trailer. As for the release date, Rogue Dao is going to be pretty much silent on that from now on. You'll hear an exact release date probably a few weeks before the actual date.

As for Aliens, info release is definitely not my department, but I've got no problem asking if any timeline for info dissemination exists.

Lumpy said:
So I'd assume at least 2 more months.

At -least- 2 more months is fair to say, but it could be significantly longer than that depending on a few decisions we are in the process of making.

And thanks for the youtubing and Obs avatar ;)

aboyd

Liturgist
MLMarkland said:
Remember that we originally planned a 10 hour module with no additional art or audio content and around 75,000 words of dialog.

Today Purgatorio's current scope includes 2 gigabytes of art and audio content and is 20-30 hours long with 400,000 words of dialog.
My only concern is that... well... don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I never really liked that phrase. It always seemed awkward. But it's fitting here. They're expanding and expanding and getting more & more grand in their aspirations, and yet at the same time MLM is leaving for a job on the Aliens team. I worry that the development may slow, and they end up with something that is amazing and yet unfinished to the point of being unplayable or at least unsatisfactory. I worry that they'll end up with something that is a diamond in the rough that goes unreleased because none of the developers could get it over the final hump.

I just hope you guys factor in real world distractions and try to be realistic. I know I've said that before about this game, and I've been reassured before about this game, but then the game missed deadlines and now we are at the "it'll be released when it's ready" stage. So it seems like people haven't been handling real-world issues very well.

Having said that, the truth is that they're doing it for free & for fun. So I guess that if they wanted to embark upon building something amazing that never sees release, that is 100% their free choice. It's their free time, they can spend it how they want. I'm just sitting in the bleachers, hoping for a good game.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
aboyd said:
I just hope you guys factor in real world distractions and try to be realistic. I know I've said that before about this game, and I've been reassured before about this game, but then the game missed deadlines and now we are at the "it'll be released when it's ready" stage. So it seems like people haven't been handling real-world issues very well.

Having said that, the truth is that they're doing it for free & for fun. So I guess that if they wanted to embark upon building something amazing that never sees release, that is 100% their free choice. It's their free time, they can spend it how they want. I'm just sitting in the bleachers, hoping for a good game.

We definitely have had that same conversation internally. How much is too much? How much is just right? I think that we will hit the mark and it will be enough but not too much, but again that's a constantly moving target so we will only know how successful we were in our attempt in hindsight.

Higher Game

Arcane
This makes me horny. :D It had better be aimed at PS:T fans though, since all the Blow Joe mouth breathers have been satisfied and will be satisfied with typical fantasy fare. A real hardcore mod to NWN2 would really secure its legacy.

Noceur

Liturgist
Lovely trailer... I especially like how big Sigil looks (even if it's just fluff/background). That's something I've missed in the NWN2 OC. Actually, you don't get much sense of size at all in the OC.

kris

Arcane
Seboss said:
I'll gladly pay $30 for this. I can't believe this is going to be free.

I wonder, what makes you say this?

Now I think for a non-profit project this seems to be a great piece of work, but we seriously haven't seen anything apart from graphics at this point and people here praise it a lot. I'd say it looks good and is impressive for a project like this. Whether it would be great to play is still to be seen.

cardtrick

Arbiter
We've seen dialogs, quest examples, and faction dynamics before . . . MLMarkland is a pretty frequent poster. Everything we hear is good, this trailer is fantastic, and what's wrong with a little optimism?

kris

Arcane
cardtrick said:
We've seen dialogs, quest examples, and faction dynamics before . . . MLMarkland is a pretty frequent poster. Everything we hear is good, this trailer is fantastic, and what's wrong with a little optimism?

Oh okay, that makes more sense, i wasn't aware of these things as I just saw this video. Some dialogs can say quite a bit. while you can be fooled by it, it generally shows what they try to achieve.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Noceur said:
Lovely trailer... I especially like how big Sigil looks (even if it's just fluff/background). That's something I've missed in the NWN2 OC. Actually, you don't get much sense of size at all in the OC.

The Sigil/Hive Ward section of the game is very detailed for an urban environment. There are 10 main exterior hubs and each one has 8-10 interiors, so most of the doors within the playable space have something behind them

There's definitely a lot of edge detail too, but there's a ton of interiors to explore.

axedice

Cipher
The trailer looks amazing, I had no idea you could create such a detailed enviroment with nwn2 engine. Kudos to the DiTerlizzi style architecture.

The site is down, I guess it couldn't handle the traffic that was caused by the trailer's hype :) So I guess the story takes place before the Faction War?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Hey, MLMarkland . . . how is the performance of Purgatorio? It seems like those large environments would put a huge strain on a system. How does it compare to the OC or MOTB?

Ausir

Arcane
axedice said:
The trailer looks amazing, I had no idea you could create such a detailed enviroment with nwn2 engine. Kudos to the DiTerlizzi style architecture.

The site is down, I guess it couldn't handle the traffic that was caused by the trailer's hype :) So I guess the story takes place before the Faction War?

MLMarkland already said in this thread that it takes place between Torment and the Faction War.

axedice

Cipher
Hmm I couldn't see it? Anyway pre Faction War era is all the better. Sigil became quite dull after the factions were banned I think.

So can you tell a little bit about the story and the mainquest?

Texas Red

Whiner
MMarkland, are the dialog skills used? More importantly perhaps, are your achievements through dialog skills illusionary ala NWN 2 OC meant only for RPing(which is not so bad, really) or more significant?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom