Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights OC: total garbage or victim of hype?

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Were there even any good NWN2 modules? It's kinda sad how the game left no legacy to speak of unlike the first one.

A few, but not as many. Apparently NWN2 was a bitch to mod (though I'm not clear on whether that's because of the toolset/engine changes, or more because the game in general was pretty buggy).

To the OP: Yes. Total garbage. NWN OC made the fatal error of not a bad story, but rather a mediocre story that's incredibly intrusive. I mean, let's be honest. Most blobbers have got atrocious stories, but that doesn't matter at all because the story is just an excuse for you to do the things you do in the game.

The problem with NWN 1 isn't that its story sucked, the problem is that its story sucked and yet the game seemed to insist on trying to make the player care about it. The problem with NWN 1 is that it didn't have enough self-awareness to realize that its story was bad.

To me, it's the opposite of BG1 in that sense. BG1 had, IMHO, a pretty solid story. The problem is that it told the story in such a way that it was entirely possible to miss (I mean, hell, the game's Big Reveal comes in the form of a scroll that becomes inaccessible forever if you happen to do something completely natural and logical) - not to mention kind of hard to care about. NWN 1 was very big on involving people in the storytelling, it just didn't actually have anything worth being involved in.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Were there even any good NWN2 modules? It's kinda sad how the game left no legacy to speak of unlike the first one.

There are some good modules, but unfortunatly no perfect module.

Tomb of Horrors
is a great dungoen-crawler

Legacy of White Plume Mountain
is great on exploration

Tales from the Lake of Sorrows

is something for (mature) storyfags

I also liked the IWD and BG 1 total conversations and the roguelike "Endless Depths" as long as you have
Kaedrin's Classpack
installed.

Wulverheim
is also nice for the exploration, but unfortunatly it suffers from MMO-Gameplay.

The Top Modules at Neverwinter Vault are generally worth playing.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I remember playing some Conan modules and they were alright, albeit too short. The premium module from Ossian Studios was awful compared to what they did with Darkness over Daggerford.

Sothpaw

Learned
NWN OC is bad for sure. That said I feel like Bioware did the right thing by spending so much time on the modding tools. To this day I still haven't gotten around to playing other than the official modules, but I swear one of these days I will find the time to play through some of the best user made stuff.

hakuroshi

Augur
OC was Ok in a sense to provide an adequate enviroment to test various builds and if one happened to be interested in dnd 3 at that time it is one would want to do a lot. Still probably better to use mods for that, but at the start there were none yet. There were some nice zones and encounters and a few role-play opportunities as well, so I would not call it absolutely terrible, but yeah...

Electryon

Savant

Oh for sure, very fleshed out too....The Subtlety of Thay, Tales from the Lake of Sorrows, Night Howls In Nestlehaven, Harp and Chrysanthemum, Stormchaser, Tragedy in Tragidor....even by the names you can tell how awesome they are.

laclongquan

Arcane

There are some good modules, but unfortunatly no perfect module.

Tomb of Horrors
is a great dungoen-crawler

Legacy of White Plume Mountain
is great on exploration

Tales from the Lake of Sorrows

is something for (mature) storyfags

I also liked the IWD and BG 1 total conversations and the roguelike "Endless Depths" as long as you have
Kaedrin's Classpack
installed.

Wulverheim
is also nice for the exploration, but unfortunatly it suffers from MMO-Gameplay.

The Top Modules at Neverwinter Vault are generally worth playing.
And in a totally different taste from this poster is these recommendations of mine:

Pool of Radiance Reloaded. It remakes the game into a mod, but with many differences. Very nice to play, with story and music are best out of all. Top notch!

Baldur Gate Reloaded. Remake BG1 into a mod. Also very nice to play as it's faster pace than the BG1. Biggest mod, I think.

Icewind Dale mod. Remake the game into a mod. It's a different look into IWD and also very nice. Faster pace.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The only thing I remember about that story (beyond the general plot points), was the ambiance of the first chapter. I think, at least in my honest opinion, they did some good audio and environmental work there, it really feels like the city is falling apart (of course contrasted with the noble quarters which are fine). But that is 1% of the game, rest was pretty bad. I remember the worst part being this terrible dungeon that was the epitome of tediousness, it started with trolls but ends up with ancient lizard people, it drags on forever. Its like 3 hours of straight up trash encounters.

da_rays

Augur
I remember playing it when it first came out. After BG2 I expected fun combat, interesting companions, C&C and B-grade but enjoyable story. Instead I got this:
An6yfcil.jpg

Pretty much all elements which I listed above were shit, companions AI was retarded, as was the plot. I still remember Secretly Evil Clerics casting red-tinted "healing spells". Gah.

I can't hate the game completely though, the editor was awesome, and so it gave me literally more then a hundred hours of gameplay from various great mods.

That fucking movie......I still have nightmare about that purple lips ranger and the 1st row in the movie theatre was only 14yo D&D players with their character sheet in hand before the movie started.

Metatron

Augur
The only thing I remember about that story (beyond the general plot points), was the ambiance of the first chapter. I think, at least in my honest opinion, they did some good audio and environmental work there, it really feels like the city is falling apart (of course contrasted with the noble quarters which are fine).
Ah yes, the city of Neverwinter. Probably the only city in a high profile rpg that had the unique flavor like your character was in a room the whole time even when he was somewhere outisde roaming the streets. And then those fucking 4 quarters that conviently all had one out of 4 quest items and fuck all to do beside that, even the average Oblivion hub was less checklist-y than that. I'd say least convincing city ever in a major non action rpg but then there is also Val Royeax.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom